GLE 53 AMG New Owner - Already Having Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 03:20 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,404 Likes on 2,847 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by mikapen
I guess that means that the E55 in your moniker isn't a real AMG, since it's built by Porsche, right?
Wasn't that just the 500E that Porsche built the engines for? Not E500. From what I recall that was the way that particular E was badged? Were they AMG's?
The following users liked this post:
places (07-05-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,483 Likes on 980 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by hyperion667
Wasn't that just the 500E that Porsche built the engines for? Not E500. From what I recall that was the way that particular E was badged? Were they AMG's?
i think you are right. Well before there were any 55’s on MB’s radar.
Old 07-05-2021, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts
CLK320
I still don’t really get why some AMG 63/55 owner so upset about 53/43…. Yes it’s not a v8, yes it’s just a marketing scam… Yes a v8 bi turbo would be the best, why not a V12. Why not a Ferrari or Lambo.

Everyone has different need when it comes to purchase. Some people just don’t need the power, but they what something more than a regular Mercedes. Sometime a good deal comes up. bottom line it’s just a car, they might just have a budget on transportation. Or they have so much disposal income they don’t really care because they will buy a new car next year or two.

You don’t judge your co-worker or employee by the size of their dick, after all there are a lot more to consider just engine size. I love “real” AMG also, I wish I can go out buy a GT black series. But I have a kid so I rather spend my money slowly then standing at the gas station filling up the 63.
Ron.s (07-05-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Oops, you're right. It was before the AMG collaboration.
But the 500E and the E500 were both Porsche built. They essentially designed and built the whole car, modifying the 124 chassis to shoehorn the big V8 into the 6cyl space. And modifying the V8 itself. Plus a lot of aero.
Thanks!
(I am still baffled by the frequent M-B nomenclature changes over the years. Still learning.)
hyperion667 (07-05-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 03:55 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Oops, you're right. It was before the AMG collaboration.
But the 500E and the E500 were both Porsche built. They essentially designed and built the whole car, modifying the 124 chassis to shoehorn the big V8 into the 6cyl space. And modifying the V8 itself. Plus a lot of aero.
https://youtu.be/vhvg-mjoPc4
Thanks!
(I am still baffled by the frequent M-B nomenclature changes over the years. Still learning.)
Thanx for the vid, love the old school footage of the guys in overalls Damn I want a Pcar again in the future!!
Old 07-05-2021, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by tery
I still don’t really get why some AMG 63/55 owner so upset about 53/43…. Yes it’s not a v8, yes it’s just a marketing scam… Yes a v8 bi turbo would be the best, why not a V12. Why not a Ferrari or Lambo.......
I, for one, think the Panamericana grille is a rip-off too, a marketing scheme.
Part of my feelings about the grille is because I participated in the REAL Carrera Panamericana, and while these new grilles may EVOKE a performance image, they aren't the Real Thing either.

But now I drive a car with the rip-off grille, and I'm getting used to it. I don't disparage others with the fake grille, whether I'm fully used to it or not. I like my car.
Old 07-05-2021, 03:59 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by tery
I still don’t really get why some AMG 63/55 owner so upset about 53/43…. Yes it’s not a v8, yes it’s just a marketing scam… Yes a v8 bi turbo would be the best, why not a V12. Why not a Ferrari or Lambo.

Everyone has different need when it comes to purchase. Some people just don’t need the power, but they what something more than a regular Mercedes. Sometime a good deal comes up. bottom line it’s just a car, they might just have a budget on transportation. Or they have so much disposal income they don’t really care because they will buy a new car next year or two.

You don’t judge your co-worker or employee by the size of their dick, after all there are a lot more to consider just engine size. I love “real” AMG also, I wish I can go out buy a GT black series. But I have a kid so I rather spend my money slowly then standing at the gas station filling up the 63.
It is marketing. Also, no one is 'upset' persay, unless you're the one being told your car isn't a true AMG. There are simply folks reminding/mentioning the fact that these AMG 'marketed' cars are not true to the badge. No one wants to be told they're wrong about their particular choice.......it's just a reminder. SOme people really DO think they are driving an AMG car that really 'are not'.
I also do not think it has anything to do with how many kids you have or whether or not you want to be standing at a gas station! That's an odd line of 'reasoning' IMO.
Old 07-05-2021, 04:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
GTR Pro
I didn't realize the average age of the forum user was 12, seems to be a lot of drama and none-sense going on.

Either way, to update for any one who might be searching for the same issue now or in the future, the dealership just called me, it looks like it is a "known" to Mercedes issue. The front driveshaft needs a special grease put on. Not sure if its a driveshaft or the axle but the service manager called it the driveshaft.

They have the grease on its way, and hopefully this is the fix for it.

I will keep the thread updated as soon as I receive the vehicle back.
SimbaMB (01-13-2022)
Old 07-05-2021, 05:29 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by ibrakelate
I didn't realize the average age of the forum user was 12, seems to be a lot of drama and none-sense going on.

Either way, to update for any one who might be searching for the same issue now or in the future, the dealership just called me, it looks like it is a "known" to Mercedes issue. The front driveshaft needs a special grease put on. Not sure if its a driveshaft or the axle but the service manager called it the driveshaft.

They have the grease on its way, and hopefully this is the fix for it.

I will keep the thread updated as soon as I receive the vehicle back.
Just wondering: how did you come across this '12 year old, average user age'? Did you read through the forum rules? I didn't realize they let 12 year olds on the forum......in my state of NC, 12 isn't even old enough to operate a motor vehicle, much less join a car forum But hey, I'm only 16 so what do I know?
OH WAIT A MINUTE!! I GET IT, YOU WERE JUST ASSUMING! LOL, THE JOKE IS ON ME! I GET IT NOW!!!
Thanx Sir
The following 2 users liked this post by hyperion667:
chassis (07-05-2021), places (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by places
LOL. Only the most important piece...the engine. Also, "standard 63 equipment is added" to make it look like an AMG.
You might get in one & take a spin in a 53 sometime…

The interior is primo and can be optioned nicer than the 63S. The 63 has more standard equipment but there are still 20+ options like Carbon Fiber, Drivers Assistance, Massaging seats, HUD, Augmented Video, Soft Close Doors, etc that are optional in either model. You can add a suspension package to the 53 that includes 6 piston brakes & ARC that comes standard in the 63S. The interior and exterior are pretty much the same so there’s nothing added to make it look like an AMG. The badge & exhaust outlets are the only visual difference. Actually my GLE 53 is better equipped than many GLE 63 S models. The entry level 53 allows people the option to have one for a little less money and with features they need since most urban drivers will never need or want some of the 63 S engine power and suspension that come at a huge difference in economy.

The engine is a fantastic in-line 6 with better performance than many older V8’s. Electric turbo boost; larger exhaust turbo & EQ Boost mild hybrid make for a Sporty engine. The torque curve is strong at a wide RPM level.The same drive train is standard in the S Class that is also available with a detuned V8 engine like the GLE 580.

What about the newly announced AMG C63 with a 4 banger? Who’s going to tell Mercedes that it isn’t a true AMG? It’s faster than the car it replaces but not a V8🤢

E55Greasemonkey (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 10:05 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
E55Greasemonkey (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It is marketing. Also, no one is 'upset' persay, unless you're the one being told your car isn't a true AMG. There are simply folks reminding/mentioning the fact that these AMG 'marketed' cars are not true to the badge. No one wants to be told they're wrong about their particular choice.......it's just a reminder. SOme people really DO think they are driving an AMG car that really 'are not'.......
I'm not sure why people think they are driving a "true AMG'" when such a thing went away with the M-B acquisition in 2005, or maybe 1999.

The "one man, one engine" is a myth - they aren't hand-built any more, except for the placing of camshafts and piston insertion. The rest is by robots. The "one man" only squires the engine along the production line to the next robot. And has a fancy badge that is glued to the engine cover to make buyers think they're special. In fact the AMG "assembly line" reminds me of the one I worked on as a UAW worker in the 60's at the REO/Diamond T factory. (World's toughest truck!)

The design of the AMGs is AMG. The AMG53 is an in-house design, just like the AMG63S. They are both built by robots, in various clean rooms along the production line. They are both significantly more powerful than the non-AMG engines they are based on.
The 53 engine moves ICE engines into the modern era, while the V8 seems to be ignored regarding development - probably because its replacement will likely be a more powerful 4 banger. It's old hat, with it's most modern feature the 500cc cylinder size that is shared with 3, 4, 6, and 8 cylinder Mercedes engines.
The V8 IS more powerful, coarse, rough and noisy, and that's attractive to a certain subset of buyers.

I can't speak for other 53 owners, but in my case, I like the new technology, and I have an affinity for straight sixes. I've been waiting for the 450 it was announced several years ago, and then Wham AMG comes up with the 53.
I loved my XK120, lusted after an XKE, kept trying to buy the neighbor's 300SL Roadster while it appreciated faster than my purchase funds, put 700,000 miles on my FJ45 Land Cruiser, skipped BMW sixes after Bangle made them ugly, and now I drive probably the most advanced straight six that may ever be produced. I don't expect a 53 to appreciate in value like the aforementioned, but it will have a place in history.

So, even though there hasn't been a "true AMG" since 2005, I don't care.
The very nice 53 engine, coupled with (finally) an AMG ARC suspension that sets standards and IMO finally surpasses Porsche's top-line suspenders, makes it a very desirable car.
It's an upgrade from my last year's 450, a Non AMG car which was very nice in its own right.
The following 5 users liked this post by mikapen:
E55Greasemonkey (07-07-2021), hyperion667 (07-07-2021), SimbaMB (01-13-2022), TexAg91 (07-07-2021), threeMBs (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 01:08 PM

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Macan X5
I'm not sure why people think they are driving a "true AMG'" when such a thing went away with the M-B acquisition in 2005, or maybe 1999.

The "one man, one engine" is a myth - they aren't hand-built any more, except for the placing of camshafts and piston insertion. The rest is by robots. The "one man" only squires the engine along the production line to the next robot. And has a fancy badge that is glued to the engine cover to make buyers think they're special. In fact the AMG "assembly line" reminds me of the one I worked on as a UAW worker in the 60's at the REO/Diamond T factory. (World's toughest truck!)

The design of the AMGs is AMG. The AMG53 is an in-house design, just like the AMG63S. They are both built by robots, in various clean rooms along the production line. They are both significantly more powerful than the non-AMG engines they are based on.
The 53 engine moves ICE engines into the modern era, while the V8 seems to be ignored regarding development - probably because its replacement will likely be a more powerful 4 banger. It's old hat, with it's most modern feature the 500cc cylinder size that is shared with 3, 4, 6, and 8 cylinder Mercedes engines.
The V8 IS more powerful, coarse, rough and noisy, and that's attractive to a certain subset of buyers.

I can't speak for other 53 owners, but in my case, I like the new technology, and I have an affinity for straight sixes. I've been waiting for the 450 it was announced several years ago, and then Wham AMG comes up with the 53.
I loved my XK120, lusted after an XKE, kept trying to buy the neighbor's 300SL Roadster while it appreciated faster than my purchase funds, put 700,000 miles on my FJ45 Land Cruiser, skipped BMW sixes after Bangle made them ugly, and now I drive probably the most advanced straight six that may ever be produced. I don't expect a 53 to appreciate in value like the aforementioned, but it will have a place in history.

The very nice 53 engine, coupled with (finally) an AMG ARC suspension that sets standards and IMO finally surpasses Porsche's top-line suspenders, makes it a very desirable car.
It's an upgrade from my last year's 450, a Non AMG car which was very nice in its own right.
Nice write up. I have owned MB, Porsche, BMW and been on all the forums as I researched before buying. Interesting that all brands have fanatics who defend the brand blindly and similarly all have haters no matter what the model is. I find the forums interesting in trying to identify key issues good and bad. I must say that the V167 has gotten its share of complaints. Not unlike Cayennes and X5s. Have had an X5d with 200,000 miles. Love the car but have had a significant number of issues with the EGR system throughout its life. I have pretty much replaced most of it including the cat converter this week! The car still gets over 22 mpg and is great to drive with the torque. No car is perfect. Would buy again were it not for the fact that the line has lost its creature comforts in the interior.

I am waiting for an ordered 53 which should be in the showroom end of Sept or early Oct. Not sure if it is a 21 or 22 but I would think that they will be similar if not identical. Not sure that they would change the production line from one day to the other with different components. Given the shortage of key components, I would image that no manufacturer including MB would have a stockpile of any component that they "have to use up".

The key issues that I have read about with the V167 is the 48v battery, noise on the driver side mirror, some software related issues, and a thump noise here and there. Not sure what the total number of these that were sold nor the ones affected by these more severe issues. Overall I would think that these are more reliable than not. Am I wishful thinking about this? I really would like to see a reasonable response from fans and not so much fans. No need for the "V167 lemon" crowd to spew their dislike. I would appreciate an honest response from those that were fans but may have been disappointed and why. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-07-2021, 01:27 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63

I really liked your use of the word 'Squires'. You make some great points. I think my next car is going to be from Lamborghini anyway.
Old 07-07-2021, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Finally…a sensible request.

To start out, I have had more issues than most people on the Forum. Some things people might not even notice …I’m a little bit of a perfectionist. Current car is my 2nd GLE and I might buy a third one soon. I love the car…period. The GLE 450 was very nice with not only great looks, fit & finish, but also a practical SUV. It had good performance, fantastic economy and decent handling. The drive train was first class with no 48 volt battery issues. It was an early build and over the course of 18 months the MBUX control unit failed, the 12 volt AGM battery started losing its charge and I had the key Fobs that needed to have a shake to wake up. All were fixed by the Dealer under warranty by a great service department. The battery & MBUX controller caused other weird happenings until diagnosed.
A lot of early (Feb-June 2019 built) GLE’s were built with missing components and stored on lots all over the US and Germany. Many of these seem to be subject to more than usual issues since so much was hurried, components not tested and too much subsequent assembly done later.

I had a great year financially in 2020 so when the GLE 53 became available I ordered one immediately. Demand for the GLE was high and mine sold the day it hit the lot after CPO prep. The buyer (a year later) has had no issues. Overall I love the 53 even more than my 450 but it came with another set of problems. Once again the drive train is as “good as it gets”. My Pandemic build had fit & finish issues and Orange (not red) seats with stitching flaws. It looks like Mercedes added a second source to build more seats. My car was parked for a month off line while missing components were added. A piece of tape left on the lower windshield referenced changing the front bumper. It also looked like the rocker panels were added later. I’ve been watching recent builds and fit & finish/seats seem back to normal. A few weeks ago my 48 volt joined an increasing bunch built in the 4th Q that failed. My vehicle doesn’t read traffic signs very well and so there are issues with Distronic. I’m told that Mercedes has a traffic sign fix coming soon. The 53 handles like a dream with a good balance of comfort yet very good road manners. I have the AMG Dynamic Plus package that adds brakes and active sway bars (ARC) that are standard on the 63 S. Fuel economy is close to the 450 after you get over the initial urge to enjoy the acceleration and handling. I tow a Polaris RZR back and forth to a second home (650 miles) at the same high speed that I drive without it. It handles the 3,000 lbs but passing and fuel economy suffer at higher speeds of 80+
I am perfectly happy with my 53’s performance but might try the 63 S since my 53 has held it’s value so well. The V8 will have better passing power at speed but might use more fuel. It’s nice to travel 650 miles with only one fuel stop since each stop seems to add 20-30 minutes to an already long day.
I’m not a Mercedes fan boy but I am a big GLE fan…issues be damned. There is a lot of cutting edge technology and like everything tech an issue in waiting, IMO. A good way to eliminate issues might be to cut out some Tech like Driver Assistance and the like.
The following 8 users liked this post by Ron.s:
haibieb (10-11-2021), jdhoang (07-08-2021), MBguy013 (07-07-2021), MRC50 (07-07-2021), SimbaMB (01-13-2022), TexAg91 (07-07-2021), threeMBs (07-07-2021), Timmay (07-07-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-07-2021, 02:43 PM

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Macan X5
Ron.s
Thanks for a comprehensive and balance response. Really appreciate that.
I have had issues with my Macan, my X5d, 535d, 535, and others. No car is perfect. There are lemons in all bags.

Old 07-07-2021, 07:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2021 GLE53 SUV
I just got my GLE53 one week ago, today. There does not appear to be any fit and finish issues, and the problems noted previous (wind noise, etc.) just do not exist or at least, are not noticeable. It did come with runflats (no 3rd row), so that was a surprise however the overall drivability does not seem to be affected much.

So far I love it. Its in the shop to get an xpel and graphene treatment before taking it out for longer road trips.
Ron.s (07-07-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 GLE 53
I also am a new Mercedes owner of a 2021 GLE53 Coupe. Mine is not doing it consistently as yours is at the speeds you mention but I have also gotten some odd thumping when braking, and hard down shifting in comfort mode and sputters. Noticed it right away. Seems to be smoother in sport mode. Took to service department on Saturday and they said they had no diagnostic people in but the service guy rode with me and said it seemed fine and that the adaptive tech was just learning how I drive. He also said comfort mode has no 1st gear (which also makes no sense to me, as a woman with limited knowledge of car transmissions). I've noticed it a few more times - now granted I only have a couple hundred miles on it. Is the "learning" technology really capable of doing that or is he giving me a line? I also see another thread from 2017 on the GLE43's that had a similar issue and I don't see if there was ever a resolution. It is indeed frustrating when you'd think a brand new car of this calibur should be super smooth when driving (and braking).
Old 07-08-2021, 02:56 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2021 GLE53 SUV
I have not experienced any of that, but I have not taken it out of the city much, so have not really put it to the test. Breaking is smooth with no clunking, and comfort mode seems to run smooth, though is a bit of a jerky start from a complete stop as the motor spins back up, but is certainly better than other cars I have tested.

As a test, can you disable the auto start-stop? If this was the cause, it should behave much better. I've heard the car does take some time to adapt to the driver, and there is also a break-in period where you cannot really push the vehicle until something like 1,500km, and under 80mph the whole time. (there is a sticker on the windshield regarding this)
Old 07-08-2021, 04:01 PM

2021 GLE 53
Originally Posted by Timmay
I have not experienced any of that, but I have not taken it out of the city much, so have not really put it to the test. Breaking is smooth with no clunking, and comfort mode seems to run smooth, though is a bit of a jerky start from a complete stop as the motor spins back up, but is certainly better than other cars I have tested.

As a test, can you disable the auto start-stop? If this was the cause, it should behave much better. I've heard the car does take some time to adapt to the driver, and there is also a break-in period where you cannot really push the vehicle until something like 1,500km, and under 80mph the whole time. (there is a sticker on the windshield regarding this)
I always turn the auto start-stop off, it annoys the crap out of me. And I have not pushed it over 80 mph yet. I have done mostly city driving on it so far with a little bit on the highway.
Old 07-08-2021, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by llcoolj77
I always turn the auto start-stop off, it annoys the crap out of me. And I have not pushed it over 80 mph yet. I have done mostly city driving on it so far with a little bit on the highway.
If the auto start/stop is annoying, that may be a clue to some other problem. Most folks with the AMG53 report virtually seamless or unnoticeable action of that feature.
See if you can find driving situations where you can duplicate your complaint, so you can duplicate it. Better yet - so the tech can reliably duplicate it when they get to work on it.
And give it some time.
Good luck.
Old 07-08-2021, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by llcoolj77
Do you have the standard brakes or the upgraded red ones? In either case there should be no thumping sound but the upgraded red (like mine) get touchy after they bed in and get dirty.
Like Mikapen said document the events that bother you and write down as much detail as possible. One thing not mentioned is that you might need to establish some credibility. I’ve heard stories about clueless people and observed one at my Dealer last year. After a while a Service writer might get a little biased about those intermittent glitches that might be lack of understanding.
I had one harsh 2-1 downshift a week ago, might never happen again but I made a note of it.
On a day when I hit a lot of red lights, I let off the brake at the same time Start/Stop was shutting down the engine & got a harsh lurch 2 times. After the second one I figured it out. As the car ahead started creeping forward I let off just after stopping. Unusual & after over two years that was a first.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:03 AM

GLE 53 AMG
Same Issue

Well, first of all, hi to all if you, I picked up our new daily driver, the 2021 GLE 53 AMG 3 weeks a go. Haven't gotten to drive it around too much, but this week I noticed the car was acting weird.

When accelerating, right around 20mph, you hear an audible "thump" and the car jerks.

While coming to a stop, right around 6mph, again you hear a "thump" and the car jerks.

Took the car to my local dealer today who has always been amazing with me, and the service advisor jumped in for a quick drive with me and he also noticed that it wasn't normal. The car only has 400 miles and already having issues, which isn't exactly a good experience.

I wanted see if anyone else had similar problems.

It almost feels like something is engaging and disengaging. I tried to a do a search on the forum, but haven't seen anything like this reported.
I am currently having the same issue......2021 MB GLE 53 AMG. Dealer is unable to replicate the noise although the shop foreman heard it on a ride along and said it was unusual. I have been to dealer three times on the issue and nothing. Not really sure what else to do. Did you get any answers?
Old 10-11-2021, 10:47 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
GTR Pro
They have no idea what the issue is, it gets better with more miles, I am at 2300 miles now and the car has gotten a lot smoother, still once in a while it does the same thing. Definitely once I find an alternative vehicle, this one will be replaced as it seems to be "normal" for most of these cars. My friend just got a brand new one as well, same exact issues. Go figure, buy a 100k SUV that bucks around. Never again.
The following 2 users liked this post by ibrakelate:
chassis (10-14-2021), places (10-11-2021)
Old 10-11-2021, 10:59 AM

GLE 53 AMG
They have no idea what the issue is, it gets better with more miles, I am at 2300 miles now and the car has gotten a lot smoother, still once in a while it does the same thing. Definitely once I find an alternative vehicle, this one will be replaced as it seems to be "normal" for most of these cars. My friend just got a brand new one as well, same exact issues. Go figure, buy a 100k SUV that bucks around. Never again.
Yeah so that's the frustrating part.......100k and this is what we get....BS. I too am currently considering alternate vehicles. I just spoke to MB USA and they are opening a case. Might be good to have another complaint on file......I can give you my reps info once they assign someone.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: GLE 53 AMG New Owner - Already Having Issues