GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

GLE 53 AMG New Owner - Already Having Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 11:00 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
GTR Pro
Originally Posted by irizarry1303
Yeah so that's the frustrating part.......100k and this is what we get....BS. I too am currently considering alternate vehicles. I just spoke to MB USA and they are opening a case. Might be good to have another complaint on file......I can give you my reps info once they assign someone.
That would be cool, but not sure what they will do, as it seems like most of these vehicles have this same issue. I can get my friend to call in as well.
Old 10-11-2021, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Yeah so that's the frustrating part.......100k and this is what we get....BS. I too am currently considering alternate vehicles. I just spoke to MB USA and they are opening a case. Might be good to have another complaint on file......I can give you my reps info once they assign someone.
Just curious if you have the upgraded Dynamic Plus Pkg? The Canadian’s got the 53 about 9 months before the US and had suspension issues…maybe fixed, no recent posts? As I recall they had some noise going over bumps, other clunking sounds…maybe similar to what you are experiencing.
My experience with MBUSA customer support is that they can answer some questions but don’t have a conduit for resolution. They probably pass along complaints but are more PR people. The Dealer has far better resources if they acknowledge the issue and try to help, IMO. Many Dealers are trying to recover from backlogs created during the COVID shutdowns so things that aren’t broken might get less effort. Unfortunately that might also be true with Factory Dealer Support since Mercedes has significantly reduced staff and are putting a lot of resources into Electrification.
Old 10-14-2021, 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLE53 coupe 2021
GLE53 coupe 2021 gear jerking

Originally Posted by ibrakelate
Well, first of all, hi to all if you, I picked up our new daily driver, the 2021 GLE 53 AMG 3 weeks a go. Haven't gotten to drive it around too much, but this week I noticed the car was acting weird.

When accelerating, right around 20mph, you hear an audible "thump" and the car jerks.

While coming to a stop, right around 6mph, again you hear a "thump" and the car jerks.

Took the car to my local dealer today who has always been amazing with me, and the service advisor jumped in for a quick drive with me and he also noticed that it wasn't normal. The car only has 400 miles and already having issues, which isn't exactly a good experience.

I wanted see if anyone else had similar problems.

It almost feels like something is engaging and disengaging. I tried to a do a search on the forum, but haven't seen anything like this reported.
Hello ibrakelate, I have got my Mercedes GLE53 coupe 2021 since 4 months and noticing the same jerking issue as you have when up-shifting from 3rd to 4th gear and when harsh braking down-shifting to 2nd gear. This happens only on comfort driving and you feel like someone bumped the car which is so annoying. Normally this happens to other cars after 200,000kms but it's really annoying when it's there in a new car. Took the car multiple times to the agency service and they confirmed the jerking issue. Unfortunately they did manual adaptation multiple times without any success and then they changed their comment and said it will be adapted with your driving. I had a question to them which is not answered when it would adapt after 150,000kms when the warranty is gone!!! Even with driving the car for 10,000kms now it didn't adapt to be better. The issue is still there and forever. It seems the gear has an issue and they don't want to confirm that.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by sqwaro
Hello ibrakelate, I have got my Mercedes GLE53 coupe 2021 since 4 months and noticing the same jerking issue as you have when up-shifting from 3rd to 4th gear and when harsh braking down-shifting to 2nd gear. This happens only on comfort driving and you feel like someone bumped the car which is so annoying. Normally this happens to other cars after 200,000kms but it's really annoying when it's there in a new car. Took the car multiple times to the agency service and they confirmed the jerking issue. Unfortunately they did manual adaptation multiple times without any success and then they changed their comment and said it will be adapted with your driving. I had a question to them which is not answered when it would adapt after 150,000kms when the warranty is gone!!! Even with driving the car for 10,000kms now it didn't adapt to be better. The issue is still there and forever. It seems the gear has an issue and they don't want to confirm that.
Hi @sqwaro here's a couple of answers and questions, too.
The "adapt to your driving" takes place over several miles, and a day or more.

However, if you are driving aggressively (as your 53 is designed to do), it may read a few interspersed "harsh braking" or "pedal to the floor" episodes as your intent to want it to adapt to sporty driving, and maintain that transmission adaptation.

The AMG tuned transmission WILL downshift aggressively, even in comfort mode, if that's what it adapts to. Which is a Plus feature IMO.

So - question for you: Is your overall gas mileage above or below 20mpg? If below, I'd suspect the transmission interprets your driving as wanting performance. If above, say, 22, it might think you are looking for comfort and smoothness.
Does either fit your style?
Old 10-16-2021, 05:37 AM

GLE53 coupe 2021
Temporary fix of GLE53 gear jerking

Originally Posted by mikapen
Hi @sqwaro here's a couple of answers and questions, too.
The "adapt to your driving" takes place over several miles, and a day or more.

However, if you are driving aggressively (as your 53 is designed to do), it may read a few interspersed "harsh braking" or "pedal to the floor" episodes as your intent to want it to adapt to sporty driving, and maintain that transmission adaptation.

The AMG tuned transmission WILL downshift aggressively, even in comfort mode, if that's what it adapts to. Which is a Plus feature IMO.

So - question for you: Is your overall gas mileage above or below 20mpg? If below, I'd suspect the transmission interprets your driving as wanting performance. If above, say, 22, it might think you are looking for comfort and smoothness.
Does either fit your style?
Thanks mikapen for the reply, my milage is over 22mpg and my driving is 80% on comfort. I know that the AMG will downshift aggressively but the jerking is not acceptable as you feel the gear would break. I may accept it for downshifting but upshift from 3rd to 4th is really scary. I've read somewhere that it would go away if the Auto start/stop (ECO start/stop) is switched off. I have tried it today and it works once Auto start/stop is switched off the issue is fully disappeared!!!

Last edited by sqwaro; 10-16-2021 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Adding a title
The following users liked this post:
chassis (10-16-2021)
Old 10-16-2021, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by sqwaro
Thanks mikapen for the reply, my milage is over 22mpg and my driving is 80% on comfort. I know that the AMG will downshift aggressively but the jerking is not acceptable as you feel the gear would break. I may accept it for downshifting but upshift from 3rd to 4th is really scary. I've read somewhere that it would go away if the Auto start/stop (ECO start/stop) is switched off. I have tried it today and it works once Auto start/stop is switched off the issue is fully disappeared!!!
Well, that's a strange relationship (start/stop to 3rd gear), but now you have additional symptoms to report.
Something has gone haywire, and with your reports, it should be fairly easy to diagnose.

Another question: does it seem to have a "false neutral" in between gears? As in "no gear at all" between gears?
Old 10-16-2021, 01:11 PM

GLE53 coupe 2021
Originally Posted by mikapen
Well, that's a strange relationship (start/stop to 3rd gear), but now you have additional symptoms to report.
Something has gone haywire, and with your reports, it should be fairly easy to diagnose.

Another question: does it seem to have a "false neutral" in between gears? As in "no gear at all" between gears?
nope false neutral is not there. I am driving the car since morning with Auto start/stop switched off and I can say 95% the issue is not there. At any time if I switch it on it gets back on spot.

Will update the agency and look forward to get a factory response on this with final fix.
Old 10-25-2021, 05:20 PM

GTR Pro
Have they assigned you a new rep? I would be willing to speak to someone to see what they can do as a last ditch effort to keep this car on the side or not.

I just ordered the new Range Rover that is going to be released tomorrow, finally has new tech, still need to wait till Spring 2022 for delivery, just so disappointed with the quality issues of this GLE 53. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that they are not built in Germany.
places (01-01-2022)
Old 10-25-2021, 07:46 PM

Received 103 Likes on 56 Posts
2021 GLE 450
I don’t mean this to be a downer but doesn’t Range Rover have a pike of reliability issues?
Any reviews I’ve read the Range Rover lineup are always at the bottom in terms of reliability and quality issues?

Toban
AufrechtMelcher (01-12-2022)
Old 10-25-2021, 08:29 PM

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Macan X5
I had one ordered for November delivery. Pretty loaded at $90K. But kept reading all the issues that continue to be experienced with these fine looking cars and I just do not want to deal with them given the seriousness of some of the complaints this far into the model roll out. You would think that two years into the model they would at least roam these forums and address the concerns. No manufacturer is free of issues but MB seems to have lost its "star" reputation and does not seem to really care to change that perception. These cars are truly beautiful but in this day and age and at $100K you expect almost perfect reliability. I too have now switched to alternatives - BMW X5 45e. Value wise it is a no brainer. Still looks very sporty and has just about all the technology anyone would want or need. I really like the Range Rover and interested in their reveal tomorrow. But at $100K+ reliability has always been a concern.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,483 Likes on 980 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by toban
I don’t mean this to be a downer but doesn’t Range Rover have a pike of reliability issues?
Any reviews I’ve read the Range Rover lineup are always at the bottom in terms of reliability and quality issues?

Toban
Correct, part of that legacy. Great styling, luxury and off road capacity with problematic past. However most people go into a Range Rover fingers crossed, willing to take the risk and almost always lease. No one expects that from Mercedes.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:46 AM

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts
2022 GLE 450 (Black on Black)
My son just ordered the new full sized RR and will be his third. He and his wife have owned the RR Sport and the full sized RR. Both had great reliability.

Last edited by haibieb; 10-26-2021 at 06:48 AM.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:29 AM

GTR Pro
Originally Posted by toban

Toban
Have not owned any of the very old models, but all the new modern ones have been excellent for us, the biggest issue we had was one of the tail lights that had condensation after the first year, which was replaced under warranty.

I will be reaching out the Mercedes Benz customer service today, as the current state of how this GLE 53 drives is not acceptable by any forms, furthermore, now I have the wonderful rattles from the ever so famous door seals which again seems like a recurring issue once you do a search on the forums.
places (10-26-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Reliability is hit & miss…most are OK but more misses of late. My 53 has a perfect drive train, no rattles. I lost a 48 volt battery and have traffic sign recognition issues that affect DAP. The difference in vehicle ratings can be only a few % points difference with Tech being the most issues. To me it’s just as important to have a Dealer willing and able to make things right. Documenting your issue with video and details go a long way to getting help. I’ve observed some really stupid people in the Service Department complaining about their car when they don’t have a clue.
RR vehicles are always near the bottom in reliability…Mercedes & BMW aren’t much better of late. The Japanese cars are always more reliable but they are less complex they aren’t really in the same league, IMO
chrislk55 (10-28-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 10:52 AM

GTR Pro
An update with my on going saga with this GLE 53 AMG.

The vehicle went back to service for all of the issues we have been having, especially the transmission issue and the creaking of the doors.

After the vehicle being at the dealership for nearly a month, I got the car back, nicely washed, but non of the issues fixed.

The service manager indicated that they did an "ultrasonic transmission fluid level check" which shows the fluid was not topped to spec from factory, so they added transmission fluid and reset the transmission adaptations. The car still has extremely rough downshifts at times that it feels like the tramsission is about to fall off.

So far at only 3800 miles, here are the issues:
  • The vehicle still creaks and cracks like a wooden wagon when driving on smooth road.
  • Transmission is extremely rough, certain times so rough with the downshift that the transmission feels like it is about to fall off the car.
  • Rattling at highway speeds coming from the B pillar
  • Fuel door misaligned with the body line, with a big gap towards the front of the car.
This is the second time this vehicle has been in service for an extensive period of time, with no proper resolutions to any of these problems.

Better yet, my friend who just bought a GLE 53 AMG is having the exact same transmission issues.

I can clearly say that this will be the last Mercedes Benz that we purchase, especially after having such poor service both from the corporate end and also from the dealership service end on how they can return a vehicle to a customer without any of the issues being resolved.

If any one out there is looking for car advice, my advice would be to stay away from buying a Mercedes Benz product, after having spent so much money and received such bad service, clearly Mercedes Benz will not stand behind the products they sell.

The following 2 users liked this post by ibrakelate:
E55Greasemonkey (12-20-2021), places (01-01-2022)
Old 12-20-2021, 11:53 AM

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts
2022 GLE 450 (Black on Black)
Shame that you have to go through all these issues without any satisfaction. You may wish to contact MB's CAC's office at 800-367-6373 and have them open a case for your vehicle. Also, the dealership should have reached out to MB's Engineering Department for assistance and the Service Field Representative for support. Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by haibieb:
mikapen (12-20-2021), places (12-20-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,483 Likes on 980 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by ibrakelate
An update with my on going saga with this GLE 53 AMG.

The vehicle went back to service for all of the issues we have been having, especially the transmission issue and the creaking of the doors.

After the vehicle being at the dealership for nearly a month, I got the car back, nicely washed, but non of the issues fixed.

The service manager indicated that they did an "ultrasonic transmission fluid level check" which shows the fluid was not topped to spec from factory, so they added transmission fluid and reset the transmission adaptations. The car still has extremely rough downshifts at times that it feels like the tramsission is about to fall off.

So far at only 3800 miles, here are the issues:
  • The vehicle still creaks and cracks like a wooden wagon when driving on smooth road.
  • Transmission is extremely rough, certain times so rough with the downshift that the transmission feels like it is about to fall off the car.
  • Rattling at highway speeds coming from the B pillar
  • Fuel door misaligned with the body line, with a big gap towards the front of the car.
This is the second time this vehicle has been in service for an extensive period of time, with no proper resolutions to any of these problems.

Better yet, my friend who just bought a GLE 53 AMG is having the exact same transmission issues.

I can clearly say that this will be the last Mercedes Benz that we purchase, especially after having such poor service both from the corporate end and also from the dealership service end on how they can return a vehicle to a customer without any of the issues being resolved.

If any one out there is looking for car advice, my advice would be to stay away from buying a Mercedes Benz product, after having spent so much money and received such bad service, clearly Mercedes Benz will not stand behind the products they sell.
Sorry to hear this. I see you have a GTR, I assume it's a fabulous car and no issues? In my person experience I have had very little issues with Benz products over the years but always stayed away from entry level product.
Old 12-20-2021, 06:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
G 63, GTR, GLE 53, GLC 63
So sorry to hear this too. Our Gle 53 works fine, only some problem with the navigation system (the navi often does not find the way and avoids the highways). The most important thing is to have a Dealer willing and able to make things right. Fortunately, I am followed by the best Mercedes workshop in Italy and I can guarantee that the workshop makes the difference, always.
I have always owned almost only Mercedes and I will never change. I have had Audi and Range Rover and, for me at least, they are light years away from Mercedes. My wife had a 2019 RS4 B9 - bad brakes, rough steering, slow shifting (only the goodwood green was really staggering, the best body color I've ever had). Furthermore, Audi service was simply a disaster. As for the Range Rover (Classic), I can only say that it is a very nice car but absolutely unreliable.
Old 12-31-2021, 02:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes benz GLE 53 AMG
Same problem

How You solve that problem? I have same problem. Especially when it change from 3rh i
Old 01-01-2022, 01:56 AM

2021 GLE 53 AMG
Originally Posted by GLE 53 driver
How You solve that problem? I have same problem. Especially when it change from 3rh i
I had the same problem like everyone here with the transmission cluncking, loud creaking noise when turning, and, etc. My dealer couldn't fix these issues so I sold my 2021 gle 53 amg after 7 months. Good thing I sold it over MSRP because of the hot used market which was nice but I would avoid this car 100%. This was my first and last mercedes and I submitted an order for 2022 Porsche 911 as my replacement. I can say that I wont miss mercedes unreliability. If I were you, I would sell asap while u can. This suv will suck your money out of your pocket once the warranty expires.

Last edited by ehong61; 01-01-2022 at 02:05 AM.
places (01-01-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 04:01 PM

GTR Pro
Looks like Mercedes Benz really dropped the ball with this new GLE. I know the ML's were never regarded as good quality either, but you would think they get the GLE correct.

Here is what I ran into on Youtube today, another very unhappy GLE 53 customer.

Old 01-12-2022, 04:02 PM

GTR Pro
Originally Posted by places
Sorry to hear this. I see you have a GTR, I assume it's a fabulous car and no issues? In my person experience I have had very little issues with Benz products over the years but always stayed away from entry level product.
The GTR Pro is fantastic, no issues, other than some rattle that got fixed right away. But mind you the GTR is made in Germany. The GLE is made in USA, and looks like they are not really following German standards.
places (01-12-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 04:29 PM

Let’s not exaggerate by denigrating the GLE 53 too much. There are a number of 48 Volt batteries that have caused problems. I think there is no one who likes to be left standing on the side of the road, but the problem is not serious and does not concern ALL GLE 53. It looks like all GLE 53s are **** or fall apart! I always had Mercedes cars and the few times I changed brand I had much more serious problems (both with Audi and with BMW). As for the country of production, Mercedes made in Germany are not always better built than those made in the USA, although I have to say that I also have the feeling that the USA production is a little poorer.
Old 01-12-2022, 04:32 PM

GTR Pro
Originally Posted by AufrechtMelcher
Let’s not exaggerate by denigrating the GLE 53 too much. There are a number of 48 Volt batteries that have caused problems. I think there is no one who likes to be left standing on the side of the road, but the problem is not serious and does not concern ALL GLE 53. It looks like all GLE 53s are **** or fall apart! I always had Mercedes cars and the few times I changed brand I had much more serious problems (both with Audi and with BMW). As for the country of production, Mercedes made in Germany are not always better built than those made in the USA, although I have to say that I also have the feeling that the USA production is a little poorer.
I have spoken to two other GLE 53 owners in my area, they all have similar issues. Now my door cards started creaking and squeaking. The dealer wants to foam fill the doors to make it stop creaking and squeaking.

One of the neighbors GLE 53 has a bunch of rattles on the dash, and has the same transmission issues too.

Reading all the comments, seeing videos like the youtube one posted and talking to others makes me believe there is a big time quality control issue going on with these vehicles.
Old 01-12-2022, 04:45 PM

My testimony: I am Italian (from Turin) and I know 11 people who, like me, have bought a GLE 53. Only two people had problems with the 48 volt battery, all the others have no problem, especially at the gearbox. In any case, it is essential to have a highly qualified Mercedes workshop. Reading the comments of what happens in the USA I understand that the real problem is given by the Mercedes assistance rather than the GLE 53...
Neurobit (08-13-2022)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: GLE 53 AMG New Owner - Already Having Issues