GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Retrofitting Rear Seat Entertainment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2021 | 01:15 PM

2020 GLE 450
Retrofitting Rear Seat Entertainment

Hi guys, my GLE 450 did not come with Rear seat entertainment, also there is no built-in adapter (Code 866) on front seats to mount display.

I so want to retrofit the rear entertainment system.

I talked with my Benz dealer and they said it is easy to retrofit and will look 100% original.

They just need to cut the seats (same size as the adapter) and do some harness/wiring stuffs and install the 866 adapters. Then just plug the display.

They have done it on many GLE/GLS before they said.

Anyone here have some knowledge regarding the aforesaid matter? Is there any risks involved? Should I do it?

I will be so thankful for any kind of help!
Old 09-21-2021 | 03:01 PM

I can't directly answer your question, but a simpler non-destructive alternative would be something like https://mbworld.org/forums/gls-class...ml#post8323143 where you get the "base support" (000-810-33-00) that attaches to the headset posts (scroll down a bit to see the picture), and then a variety of accessories can attach to the base. One of the accessories is the mount for tablets (000-827-20-00).

I just so happen to have a 000-827-20-00 that I bought my mistake and can send for cheap (but not if you're in Dhaka...) - I wanted the one that fits to the built-in slot on my 2020 GLE, part number 000-827-22-00 and accidentally got the other one and was unable to return it. FYI both options stick out of the seat more than I expected.

Old 08-24-2022 | 10:57 PM

2022 MB GLS 450
2022 GLS Retrofit Rear Entertainment system 866

[QUOTE=Ezaz;8422245]Hi guys, my GLE 450 did not come with Rear seat entertainment, also there is no built-in adapter (Code 866) on front seats to mount display.

I talked with my Benz dealer and they said it is easy to retrofit and will look 100% original.

They just need to cut the seats (same size as the adapter) and do some harness/wiring stuffs and install the 866 adapters. Then just plug the display.

Anyone here have some knowledge regarding the aforesaid matter? Is there any risks involved? Should I do it?

I will be so thankful for any kind of help![/QUOT

Hi , retrofitting my GLS with 866. 1) MB says all GLSs are pre-wired for the rear entertainment system starting in 2021. My gls does not have the 866 code for the back of the seat adapter.
Questions: Is the wiring in the seat, but just no acces, bc it's missing the seat adapter? I found the part number for the adapter which can be installed, but dealer wants to know if there are brackets inside the seat ( and wiring) in which the adapter can be bolted or clipped to?

Dealer mentioned that the prewiring is likely not there due to chip issues, etc... Any help is greatly appreciated!! - james
Old 08-24-2022 | 11:02 PM

2022 MB GLS 450
2022 GLS Retrofit Rear Entertainment system 866

Retrofitting my GLS with 866. 1) MB says all GLSs are pre-wired for the rear entertainment system starting in 2021. My gls does not have the 866 code for the back of the seat adapter.
Questions: Is the wiring in the seat, but just no acces, bc it's missing the seat adapter? I found the part number for the adapter which can be installed, but dealer wants to know if there are brackets inside the seat ( and wiring) in which the adapter can be bolted or clipped to?

Dealer mentioned that the prewiring is likely not there due to chip issues, etc... Any help is greatly appreciated!! - james
Old 08-25-2022 | 10:06 AM

2021 AMG C63 S Sedan
I would NOT do this, even if it was at $0 cost, unless something has changed since MY 2020. My wife has a 2020 GLE450 that had the rear seat pre-wiring and I ordered the tablet from the dealer (~$900 as I recall). The tablet provide is a complete joke to say the least. It is horribly slow/unresponsive, hard to click on and the kicker.....it doesn't really do ANYTHING. If you want to watch a movie in the back great....just purchase a DVD of your favorite movie, download some semi-illegal software and rip the movie into vob format, then purchase a suitable thumb drive and copy the vob files over to it. It truly is one of the worse implementations for rear seat entertainment that I have ever seen. The tablet itself is a just a re-badged, extremely low end, Android tablet.

I cannot stress enough of just how bad this thing is. In the end I removed it and tossed it in a closet, picked up a $20 rear seat tablet mount and mounted an old samsung tablet on it. Works 100X better than the garbage Mercedes sold me.
The following users liked this post:
Pikejd12 (08-26-2022)
Old 08-26-2022 | 11:07 PM

2022 MB GLS 450
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience. Sold! Not doing it!!
Old 08-26-2022 | 11:09 PM

2022 MB GLS 450
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience. Sold! Not doing it!!
Old 08-28-2022 | 04:34 AM

Formally: 2002 ML 270cdi, 2012 GL 350 cdi. Current: 2020 GLS 400d
So is the genuine Mercedes retrofit screen solution, a different system than the factory installed ones ?

I’ve heard good things about the factory ones, but only bad things about the retrofit ones.
Old 08-19-2023 | 03:06 PM

2024 GLS 450
Hello could you please point me as to where your dealer os located and their contact?

hello could you please point me or share your dealer contact information please mine is a jerk and all he says is the word no it can’t be done!

thank you,

Originally Posted by Ezaz
Hi guys, my GLE 450 did not come with Rear seat entertainment, also there is no built-in adapter (Code 866) on front seats to mount display.

I will be so thankful for any kind of help!