GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Tire Replacement on my GLE 350.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 11:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 GLE 350 NY
Tire Replacement on my GLE 350.

My tires will need to be changed soon. I probably can last until the end of the year. I have the Michelin Primacy Tour AS but those appear to be on back order on tire rack which is super disappointing because I really like them and the dealer want to charge me about $2.2k for all four which I want to avoid. I would like to stay with Michelin and saw the Cross Climate but it is not "MO Mercedes" like the primacy tour. Is there really any big difference?
Old 07-09-2022, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 756 Likes on 472 Posts
2023 S500
I personally wouldn’t go out of your way to get “Mercedes Original” tires. So long as it is properly rated to your vehicle—with the specifications you want—is all that really matters. I doubt there’s any real benefit other than the fact that it was an OEM specified tire. Any other tire that meets the requirements of the vehicle should work just fine.
Old 07-09-2022, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,206 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Frenetic
I personally wouldn’t go out of your way to get “Mercedes Original” tires. So long as it is properly rated to your vehicle—with the specifications you want—is all that really matters. I doubt there’s any real benefit other than the fact that it was an OEM specified tire. Any other tire that meets the requirements of the vehicle should work just fine.
I would definitely go out of my way to get an MO Tire, or am MO-1 for AMG cars.
They are co-developed by the tire manufacturer and AMG to augment the performance and ride characteristics of their cars.
A few years ago, I didn't think there was much difference, but I have changed my mind with experience.

Tyrereviews.com a British source and tire dealer, has done a lot of testing on and off track, and they are pretty emphatic about the benefits of the Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes-developed tires.

And sometimes they cost less, maybe because the demand is lower for specialized tires.

I always wonder why people buy performance cars, and then look for the ones with the highest mileage rating and lowest price. Which of course means lowest traction and poorest performance.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikapen:
jtjbt20x (07-10-2022), TempeAndy (07-10-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 02:56 PM

2020 GLE 350 NY
Originally Posted by mikapen
I would definitely go out of my way to get an MO Tire, or am MO-1 for AMG cars.
They are co-developed by the tire manufacturer and AMG to augment the performance and ride characteristics of their cars.
A few years ago, I didn't think there was much difference, but I have changed my mind with experience.

Tyrereviews.com a British source and tire dealer, has done a lot of testing on and off track, and they are pretty emphatic about the benefits of the Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes-developed tires.

And sometimes they cost less, maybe because the demand is lower for specialized tires.

I always wonder why people buy performance cars, and then look for the ones with the highest mileage rating and lowest price. Which of course means lowest traction and poorest performance.
If it wasn't on back order I wouldn't care about getting the same ones I have now but there is no time line for the primacy (All season which I prefer) and I heard Cooper is not recommended per other people in the sub.
Old 07-09-2022, 04:33 PM

Received 163 Likes on 122 Posts
2021 Glb35 AMG (2013 GLK 350)
Cross Climates are all weather tires with snow flake symbol, more winter oriented all seasons than Primacy. It might be good for winter in NY if you don't use winter tires. PS Alpin 5 winter tires have similar pattern and their performance is great in NY winter. I was looking at the Cross Climates and it doesn't come with my 20"-21" wheels and also lacks some on the wet performance compared to PS Alpin 5 and PS AS 4. You can check tire rack reviews:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=270
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=244
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=272

Vredestein Quatrac Pro has good reviews in tire rack also and is an all weather tire similar to Cross Climates with better wet performance... You can check in comparison to Primacy & Cross Climate 2 in above tire rack reviews...

Originally Posted by GLE1673
My tires will need to be changed soon. I probably can last until the end of the year. I have the Michelin Primacy Tour AS but those appear to be on back order on tire rack which is super disappointing because I really like them and the dealer want to charge me about $2.2k for all four which I want to avoid. I would like to stay with Michelin and saw the Cross Climate but it is not "MO Mercedes" like the primacy tour. Is there really any big difference?

Last edited by Serhan; 07-09-2022 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-09-2022, 07:09 PM

2020 GLE 350 NY
Originally Posted by Serhan
Cross Climates are all weather tires with snow flake symbol, more winter oriented all seasons than Primacy. It might be good for winter in NY if you don't use winter tires. PS Alpin 5 winter tires have similar pattern and their performance is great in NY winter. I was looking at the Cross Climates and it doesn't come with my 20"-21" wheels and also lacks some on the wet performance compared to PS Alpin 5 and PS AS 4. You can check tire rack reviews:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=270
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=244
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=272

Vredestein Quatrac Pro has good reviews in tire rack also and is an all weather tire similar to Cross Climates with better wet performance... You can check in comparison to Primacy & Cross Climate 2 in above tire rack reviews...
yea I rather the all season don't have to worry about changing them every season. The cross climate is the ones I might lean too for winter as well in NYC.
Old 07-10-2022, 02:50 PM

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
2024 GLE 450, 2015 X5 35d, 2009 SLK 300
The Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 is the number one rated SUV/Crossover all season tire by as rated by Tirerack. I have them on my GLE 550e and have been satisfied so far.
Old 07-10-2022, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,206 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by BlueYonder
The Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 is the number one rated SUV/Crossover all season tire by as rated by Tirerack. I have them on my GLE 550e and have been satisfied so far.
That's for All Season tires, and there are better tire sites out there.

More to the point, though. AS (All Season) tires are compromises if all categories - wet, dry, but NOT winter. Most folks refer to All Season tires as "No Season," because they are average in most conditions except snow, where most are awful.

Even Tire Rack rates the Michelin Cross Climate the best in the All Weather category. "All Weather" has the 3PMSF - Three Peaks Mountain Snowflake - that are actually Performance Rated for snow but don't wear excessively in high temps.
All Weather is the category where many tire manufacturers are now focusing, and the advances in tire and compound tech is happening in AW, leaving the AS tires in the "old" category.

The Cross Climate is probably the best all around tire available anywhere, but it's not available in GLE 21 & 22" sizes.
I got the 21" Pirelli Winter MO-1 tires, but boy do they suffer in dry traction. Can't use full throttle while turning or they just run W-I-D-E! I think I'll sell them.

Tires are a personal preference. When looking at ratings from Tire Rack or any other similar site, try to tease out comments from drivers in similar cars with similar driving habits / needs.

Last edited by mikapen; 07-10-2022 at 04:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MBguy013 (07-10-2022)