GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Lane Keep Assist While Changing Lanes (Driving Assist)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 04:09 PM

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE 450
Originally Posted by Frenetic
So I tested some more things today.

Just to recap, though, the starting conditions: LKA OFF, Auto Lane Change Assist OFF, Distronic ON, Active Steering ON.

1. The car will resist changing lanes without a blinker. It won’t try and jerk me back into my lane, but it also doesn’t want to change.
2. There is no resistance if I turn on the blinker before changing lanes.
3. I did get another strong jerk back while changing lanes with the blinker on again today. No cars near me.
4. I couldn’t get the car to jerk back into my lane without the blinker, although I only made a few lane changes in that condition.

So, the blinker does play a role in active steering; turn it on and there is no resistance to a lane change. Try and change lanes without the blinker and you’ll feel a steering resistance. However, I can’t tell if the blinker/active steering connection has anything to do with what I’m experiencing. What I’m going to do next is turn on LKA and repeat the experiment while continuing to test no blinker lane changes with active steering (and no LKA).
Since you mentioned it still happened once with turn signal on (#3), do you think you can also include the duration of the turn signal to see if it plays a role on it?
Something like
- turn on turn signal and switch lane right away
- turn on turn signal and wait 2 seconds before switching lane
- turn on turn signal and wait ~10 seconds before changing lane
And of course do it only when its open (no traffic around you)
Old 10-05-2022, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 698 Likes on 438 Posts
2023 S500
I don’t believe the blinker duration has anything to do with what’s happening to me. I turn the blinker on and start changing lanes within a second or two and it will try and jerk me back into my lane.

This car is starting to get to me. JD Power is lucky I took that survey a few weeks ago, although I dinged MB bad for their clunky transmission and endless rattles. This issue is getting progressively worse and happening more often.

I am reporting this to the NHTSA after validating.

Last edited by Frenetic; 10-05-2022 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-06-2022, 05:27 PM

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
I don’t believe the blinker duration has anything to do with what’s happening to me. I turn the blinker on and start changing lanes within a second or two and it will try and jerk me back into my lane.

This car is starting to get to me. JD Power is lucky I took that survey a few weeks ago, although I dinged MB bad for their clunky transmission and endless rattles. This issue is getting progressively worse and happening more often.

I am reporting this to the NHTSA after validating.
If you can repeat it, your dealer should be able to fix it.

Did you take it in?
Old 10-06-2022, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by TexAg91
If you can repeat it, your dealer should be able to fix it.
Did you take it in?
It’s about to the point that he’s wasting everyone’s time. There’s no reason to turn Lane Change Assist off since it doesn’t require that you wait for it to actually change lanes on it’s own. At least that’s been the way both of my GLE’s worked. It’s either that setting, calibration, or an equipment malfunction and none of those will get resolved on this Forum.
Old 10-06-2022, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
Hey Ron, no one is forcing to read this post let alone reply to it, especially if you feel like i’m wasting your time.

I appreciate your suggestions, just like all the others before that unfortunately didn’t work out.

Why is there no reason to turn off LKA? That’s a personal preference, right?

However, I actually think a broken LKA is what’s causing this. Broken in the sense that the stupid car thinks it’s still on for whatever reason. I was going to test that next as I can’t remember how LKA reacts because I don’t think active steering can jerk me back into my lane but maybe LKA can.

And no, I haven’t taken it in yet. I’m too busy right now and I would prefer to have some clue as to what may be causing this. It took them three days to find a rattle, god knows how long they’ll keep my car for this.
Old 10-06-2022, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,821 Likes on 2,554 Posts
2019 C63CS
Yeah, I had unsubscribed from the thread. The thread is going in circles. The right thing to do is to enable automatic lane change assist, period. Ron wasn't talking about LKA, but just to say. LKA intervention is very distinctive. It uses the brakes to pull you back into the lane and alerts visually and acoustically. It's quite violent on purpose to get the driver to pay attention. If it steers you back into your lane using the steering, then it's the active steering assist, and the cure for that is turning on automatic lane change assist. It's as simple as that. Use the system as it was designed instead of turning part of it off and be surprised that it doesn't work well. The engineers mostly spend time and testing the system as a whole. The ability to turn off parts of it is just to please certain customers, but the system simply won't work as well if you do turn parts of it off.
Old 10-06-2022, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
Superswiss, A LOT of this thread was going over things that proved to not be true. Like you saying the blinker played no role in steering assist. It does.

And frankly, telling me I need to turn on auto lane change assist because, “that’s what the engineers intended,” is a cop-out answer. Why did they even make that an option if it wasn’t intended to be off? That’s not good engineering. That’s like giving us a light switch and telling us it wasn’t ever intended to be used and/or using it could break things.
Old 10-06-2022, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Superswiss, A LOT of this thread was going over things that proved to not be true. Like you saying the blinker played no role in steering assist. It does.

And frankly, telling me I need to turn on auto lane change assist because, “that’s what the engineers intended,” is a cop-out answer. Why did they even make that an option if it wasn’t intended to be off? That’s not good engineering. That’s like giving us a light switch and telling us it wasn’t ever intended to be used and/or using it could break things.
No, I think there's lot of misunderstanding in this thread on your part. I said the blinker plays a role if automatic lane change assist is turned on, but it doesn't if it's off, because it's still tasked with steering the car in the lane until you deliberately steer out of it. I tried to explain to you the conflict between the steering assist trying to steer the car, but the driver trying to change lanes and that the steering assist can't just let go of the steering the moment you turn on the blinker. You can either live with it or not. There are ways to make it work. As I suggested, for example cancel DISTRONIC before you want to manually make a lane change so the system actually knows that you are taking over. Or otherwise turn everything on and let the car handle it. The halfway in between approach simply wont' work well, whether you think it should or not. Others don't seem to have these issues.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-06-2022 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-06-2022, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500

Well, maybe I misunderstood you because you said active steering assist doesn’t turn off when the blinker is on. I tested it and changed lanes with the blinker on and off and it resisted the lane change with the blinker off but didn’t with the blinker on. I would interpret that as the blinker affecting active steering assist.
Old 10-07-2022, 05:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey Ron, no one is forcing to read this post let alone reply to it, especially if you feel like i’m wasting your time.

I appreciate your suggestions, just like all the others before that unfortunately didn’t work out.

Why is there no reason to turn off LKA? That’s a personal preference, right?

However, I actually think a broken LKA is what’s causing this. Broken in the sense that the stupid car thinks it’s still on for whatever reason. I was going to test that next as I can’t remember how LKA reacts because I don’t think active steering can jerk me back into my lane but maybe LKA can.
And no, I haven’t taken it in yet. I’m too busy right now and I would prefer to have some clue as to what may be causing this. It took them three days to find a rattle, god knows how long they’ll keep my car for this.
Like I said….there is no reason to turn it off because you can still change lanes before it intervenes to do it for you. It also warns you if there is a vehicle in your blind spot.Many State Laws require that you signal a lane change for a set time before changing lanes so Mercedes is slower for that very reason.
You keep asking others to duplicate your settings, see how that works out to solve your problem. You have had your car a few months and others have years of experience….just saying!
Old 10-07-2022, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
Does anyone know what happens if you force a lane change with the blinker on with auto lane change assist activated? In other words, what happens if you turn on the blinker and do a lane change before the car can automatically do it? Does it jerk you back into the lane?

Also, what happens if you force a lane change with LKA on without the blinker?

I’ve pretty much ruled out auto steering assist and I think it’s either LKA or auto lane change assist. I remember driving home from the dealership and that was actually the first time it happened. I turned on distronic and everything was on by default, LKA and auto lane change. I flipped my blinker on then started changing lanes and it jerked me back. That’s why I turned off that crap, but it’s still happening on occasion.

I need to test the two scenarios above. If the car tries to steer me back in a similar manner that I’m experiencing now, then I believe the car isn’t, for whatever reason, recognizing that the offending feature is off; it still thinks it’s on.
Old 10-07-2022, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
Misery loves company. I think I found someone with maybe a similar issue in the EQS forum.

Old 10-07-2022, 11:30 AM

Received 184 Likes on 138 Posts
2022 GLE 450
Does anyone know what happens if you force a lane change with the blinker on with auto lane change assist activated? In other words, what happens if you turn on the blinker and do a lane change before the car can automatically do it? Does it jerk you back into the lane?

Also, what happens if you force a lane change with LKA on without the blinker?

I’ve pretty much ruled out auto steering assist and I think it’s either LKA or auto lane change assist. I remember driving home from the dealership and that was actually the first time it happened. I turned on distronic and everything was on by default, LKA and auto lane change. I flipped my blinker on then started changing lanes and it jerked me back. That’s why I turned off that crap, but it’s still happening on occasion.

I need to test the two scenarios above. If the car tries to steer me back in a similar manner that I’m experiencing now, then I believe the car isn’t, for whatever reason, recognizing that the offending feature is off; it still thinks it’s on.
I do have LKA activated, and constantly change lanes before Lane Change Assist does because I'm too impatient. I never had an issue with it. I also, at times, change lanes without a blinker; because, I came from a BMW and we all know those don't have blinkers - LOL. I never noticed an issue, but I will check tonight when I leave work. I have a '22 GLE 450, don't recall if you have the same. Ah, I see from your profile you have a '22 GLE 53 should be same software.

Last edited by TonyF61; 10-07-2022 at 11:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Frenetic (10-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
So you have auto lane change assist and LKA both on (these are separate settings by the way)? If so, with LKA AND auto lane change assist both on, turn on distronic (auto cruise control) and try changing lanes before the car automatically does it (with blinker on of course so it tries to auto change).

Then, while not using distronic, can you try changing lanes without the blinker (LKA on) and let me know what happens?

I’m going to do the same later. Thanks!
TonyF61 (10-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 11:54 AM

So you have auto lane change assist and LKA both on (these are separate settings by the way)? If so, with LKA AND auto lane change assist both on, turn on distronic (auto cruise control) and try changing lanes before the car automatically does it (with blinker on of course so it tries to auto change).

Then, while not using distronic, can you try changing lanes without the blinker (LKA on) and let me know what happens?

I’m going to do the same later. Thanks!
Frenetic. The fact that you have some functions on, and some off is irrelevant. It should not do what you described if everything is working correctly...period, regardless of what's on or off. Yours is malfunctioning, so don't waste your time trying different settings...it's not going to correct the issue. You need to take it in. My 2 cents.
Old 10-07-2022, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
I hear ya Tex. I’m just trying to narrow it down a little in the hopes to make the repair easier to identify. And I’m also just a little curious myself.

I am taking it in. I already mentioned it to the dealer.
TexAg91 (10-07-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 10:09 AM

Received 184 Likes on 138 Posts
2022 GLE 450
Frenetic,

I did a few tests, and experienced the following, with Lane Change Assist and Lane Keep Assist on....

1. Distronic on and blinker on - No resistance to lane change.
2. Distronic on and blinker off - No resistance to lane change, but thumping on steering wheel.
3. Distronic off and blinker on - same as # 1.
4. Distronic off and blinker off - same as # 2.

I believe these are all normal results. If you're experiencing different results, then you should bring it in for service.
Frenetic (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TonyF61
Frenetic,

I did a few tests, and experienced the following, with Lane Change Assist and Lane Keep Assist on....

1. Distronic on and blinker on - No resistance to lane change.
2. Distronic on and blinker off - No resistance to lane change, but thumping on steering wheel.
3. Distronic off and blinker on - same as # 1.
4. Distronic off and blinker off - same as # 2.
I believe these are all normal results. If you're experiencing different results, then you should bring it in for service.
I turned both off (LK & LCA) just to check that option. No resistance felt even when the flashes in the rear view mirror were warning-not clear yet. I was accelerating slightly so that would cancel intervention. (If you have even a slight pressure on the accelerator it overrides Distronic) Did this at least a dozen in traffic and another dozen in light or no traffic.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ron.s:
Frenetic (10-10-2022), mikapen (10-21-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Ron.s
I was accelerating slightly so that would cancel intervention. (If you have even a slight pressure on the accelerator it overrides Distronic)
This might be a key point that I wasn't actively thinking about, but could explain some of the differences in behavior. When I manually change lanes I naturally accelerate and as you correctly point out, the system will be put in passive mode if you accelerate beyond the DISTRONIC point (throttle pedal position) and the "suspended" message will appear in the instrument cluster.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-10-2022 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-10-2022, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
Thanks, Tony and Ron. Yeah, I’m experiencing different results: distronic on, LKA off, auto lane change assist off, blinker on and the car will try and force me back into my lane.

I didn’t do much driving this last weekend but I did turn back LKA. I didn’t get to test for myself what happens if I turn on lane change assist and force a lane change before the car automatically does it. That’s next.

I didn’t attempt too many forced lane changes without the blinker less everyone thinks I’m a drunk diver, but in the few cases I tried to forcefully change lanes without the blinker I did get a warning light in the hud and it did force the steering back, although it didn’t quite feel as strong for the cases that occurred to me. It never activated when I used the blinker before changing lanes.

I need to turn back on Auto Lane Change Assist and while using distronic turn the blinker on and force a lane change before the car can do it automatically and see what happens. That’s what I’m hoping people can check.

If the LKA force is what’s happening to me, then the car either thinks LKA is on even though it is off and doesn’t even recognize the blinker to boot. If the car forces me back into my lane when I try and force a lane change before the car can automatically do it with lane change assist on while using the blinker, then the car thinks lane change assist is on, even though it is off.
TonyF61 (10-11-2022)
Old 10-16-2022, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
I’ve finally finished testing everything and I can say with some certainty that my LKA is flat-out broken. I finally tested forcing a lane change while under a blinker before auto lane change assist could do it and it didn’t force me back into my lane.

I’m officially reporting this to the NHTSA since I’m now confident it what is causing this. I’ll be honest, I have very little faith in the dealership on this one. I have GoPro video of it happening twice that I won’t disclose until the end if it comes down to legal issues.
Old 10-16-2022, 11:23 AM

I’ve finally finished testing everything and I can say with some certainty that my LKA is flat-out broken. I finally tested forcing a lane change while under a blinker before auto lane change assist could do it and it didn’t force me back into my lane.

I’m officially reporting this to the NHTSA since I’m now confident it what is causing this. I’ll be honest, I have very little faith in the dealership on this one. I have GoPro video of it happening twice that I won’t disclose until the end if it comes down to legal issues.
Did you take it in and the Dealership Service Dept said Distronic was working as designed, no issues? If yes, did the service tech ride with you and did you demonstrate the issue? If you can reliably replicate the lane change issue to the tech, it shouldn't be hard for them to diagnose and repair it.
Old 10-16-2022, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
Yeah I’m taking it in soon. I’m just very busy right now. I just wanted to narrow things down as much as possible so I can at least point them in the right direction. The big issue is that it’s intermittent. We’ll see what happens.
Old 10-16-2022, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,597 Likes on 1,175 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan

If your GoPro shows the events you are trying to describe, why not show it to the Dealer so they can use it for diagnosis?.

If you are too busy to go in, have their Concierge Service pick up the car and leave a loaner.
Send the GoPro footage along with it. You've spent enough time gathering evidence, and it will be useful.
Old 10-17-2022, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 350 / Model Y
I've had this happen a few times and I think it's dangerous because it pulls the steering unexpectedly and abruptly, which I've mentioned to the dealer.
​​​​​​​

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lane Keep Assist While Changing Lanes (Driving Assist)