GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Lane Keep Assist While Changing Lanes (Driving Assist)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2022, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 698 Likes on 438 Posts
2023 S500
Originally Posted by John Murphy
I've had this happen a few times and I think it's dangerous because it pulls the steering unexpectedly and abruptly, which I've mentioned to the dealer.
Did this happen in a GLE? Was LKA off or on and were you changing lanes while under a blinker?
Old 10-21-2022, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2022 GLE 350 4Matic Bk/Bg, 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe Calligraphy Q-White/Beige, 2011 BMW 335 xi
MB's Driving Asist is Stupid and Brainless at best. I think MB has wasted its lead start on their incompetent R&D on this one.
I have driven Acura(MDX)/Hyundai(Santa Fe)/Nissan(Rogue) systems, they are all much superior than MB's.
I hope MB is actively working on it and updates software to provide sane(usable) version of it.

Currently it ping pongs like stupid on the highway when the road turns.
- It does not even allow me to turn on LKAS without cruise control.
- It completely fails on slightly curved roads where above mentioned
vehicles have absolutely no issue.
- It does not have any powerful tug on steering to give me any confidence.
- It fails to keep lane when I am on the overpass and the lane markings
are slightly faint due to overpass has a different layer than regular tar top.
Funny thing is, instead of keep driving straight, the vehicle pulls to the righ
so badly that by the end of the overpass width, it has already crossed the
lane, so dangerous.
None of my other vehicles I drive on the same road does this.
Complete failure of MB on this one!!!!
- Even while going straight, it weaves so much and can't keep at dead center.
Funny how my Hyundai is so accurate and in-line with my driving that even
when my hands are on steering wheel and I drive normally with LKAS on,
it pops up message saying keep your hands on steering wheel, cause the
system is handling it so accurately, it never feels my tug on steering wheel.
Impossible on MB since the vehicles is constantly going left and right.

Old 10-21-2022, 06:00 PM

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
Originally Posted by glcbabe
MB's Driving Asist is Stupid and Brainless at best. I think MB has wasted its lead start on their incompetent R&D on this one.
I have driven Acura(MDX)/Hyundai(Santa Fe)/Nissan(Rogue) systems, they are all much superior than MB's.
I hope MB is actively working on it and updates software to provide sane(usable) version of it.

lane, so dangerous.
That's not my experience at all. The "lane centering" feature my GLE is one of the best I've experienced. I do find it odd that it only works with the cruise control, that's the one thing I'd change. If yours is ping ponging, then you may have a calibration issue. It shouldn't do that, and mine will follow the car in front of you if it loses the lane markings (on the interstate)
Old 10-24-2022, 07:01 AM

Received 184 Likes on 138 Posts
2022 GLE 450

lane, so dangerous.

Not my experience either. Even when lane marking are missing, it still manages to steer on its own, which I find impressive.
Old 10-24-2022, 07:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5

lane, so dangerous.
Take it to the Dealer because there’s something wrong with yours-probably a calibration or camera issue. Mercedes Lane Keep works very well…mine would fail on sharp curves at speeds 20-30 over posted, but other than that never an issue with thousands of highway miles on 2 lane or Freeways. My early build 2020 had the camera and radar out of sync and performed poorly. It would even read the shadow from a power line as a lane marker for example. (Fixed with a camera recalibration.) If your camera housing has the outgassing issue that would cloud the lens and make it harder to read lane markings.
Try to film the malfunction with your camera before taking it to the Dealer to back up your report of the issue.
Edit: Turn off Lane Keep to get rid of the harsh brake correction function. It will still do Lane Centering when you have Distronic engaged. (CruiseControl) The brake correction issue is exacerbated by a Calibration/camera issue mentioned above. Mercedes chose to use brake correction for Lane Keep Assist and lane centering for Distronic. When the car is functioning normally the corrective braking only happens when you wander into an adjacent lane and will give you an early warning first.

Last edited by Ron.s; 10-24-2022 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-24-2022, 04:58 PM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
GLE
Coming from a Volvo I also feel that the tug of the steering assist is too gentle. I have to hold the steering wheel very gently or it doesn't have enough force to turn by itself.

In the Volvo it felt like driving on tracks. You could override it, but it required more force than normal to turn.

edit:
Do other members have any tips on how to hold the steering wheel on straights so the steering assist knows I'm holding it? On bends it's fine, but on straights I've tried different grips and keep getting warnings every 20s.

Last edited by mykel79; 10-25-2022 at 04:01 AM.
Old 10-26-2022, 07:19 AM

2022 GLE 450
Originally Posted by mykel79
Coming from a Volvo I also feel that the tug of the steering assist is too gentle. I have to hold the steering wheel very gently or it doesn't have enough force to turn by itself.

In the Volvo it felt like driving on tracks. You could override it, but it required more force than normal to turn.

edit:
Do other members have any tips on how to hold the steering wheel on straights so the steering assist knows I'm holding it? On bends it's fine, but on straights I've tried different grips and keep getting warnings every 20s.
From your owner's manual:

I guess that would explain why the warning comes up on straight-a-ways. In addition, it is not designed to be an autonomous driving vehicle - it MUST have driver intervention. There is another post where a member suggested jiggling the steering wheel a little to override the warning when it comes up. That has been working for me, as changing grip styles didn't.
Old 10-26-2022, 07:26 AM

GLE
Originally Posted by TonyF61
From your owner's manual:

I guess that would explain why the warning comes up on straight-a-ways. In addition, it is not designed to be an autonomous driving vehicle - it MUST have driver intervention. There is another post where a member suggested jiggling the steering wheel a little to override the warning when it comes up. That has been working for me, as changing grip styles didn't.
It was theoretically the same in the Volvo, because it also didn't have capacitive sensors in the wheel.
I think the difference was that the motors that turned the wheel were much stronger. I could feel the wheel stiffen when I turned on steering assistance. Then I could just hold the wheel with my hands hanging lightly on it and it would sense them.
In the Mercedes if I hang my hand on the wheel, I turn it because the motors act so delicately.
Old 10-26-2022, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It was theoretically the same in the Volvo, because it also didn't have capacitive sensors in the wheel.
I think the difference was that the motors that turned the wheel were much stronger. I could feel the wheel stiffen when I turned on steering assistance. Then I could just hold the wheel with my hands hanging lightly on it and it would sense them.
In the Mercedes if I hang my hand on the wheel, I turn it because the motors act so delicately.
From your description it seems your car is more sensitive than the norm. Do you have Distronic or Cruise Control? With the Driver Assistance Package (Distronic) both of my GLE’s seemed normal, not too soft, but not hard to override. It might be less safe if you had to fight the car to make a correction manually. Mercedes seems unable to negotiate curves at higher speeds 20-30mph over the posted limits, but that was my only negative observation. The early 2019 builds (Feb-July) had several other issues fixed with software updates.
The Mercedes system uses a movement sensor in the steering to judge your attentiveness, so at 20 seconds on a straight road (no steering wheel movement) it gives the warning by design. Our Audi works the same way at only 10 seconds. As Tony said, some of us just jiggle the steering wheel. On an all day road trip it can be a real pain…
The following users liked this post:
TonyF61 (10-26-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 07:56 AM

GLE
Originally Posted by Ron.s
From your description it seems your car is more sensitive than the norm. Do you have Distronic or Cruise Control? With the Driver Assistance Package (Distronic) both of my GLE’s seemed normal, not too soft, but not hard to override. It might be less safe if you had to fight the car to make a correction manually. Mercedes seems unable to negotiate curves at higher speeds 20-30mph over the posted limits, but that was my only negative observation. The early 2019 builds (Feb-July) had several other issues fixed with software updates.
The Mercedes system uses a movement sensor in the steering to judge your attentiveness, so at 20 seconds on a straight road (no steering wheel movement) it gives the warning by design. Our Audi works the same way at only 10 seconds. As Tony said, some of us just jiggle the steering wheel. On an all day road trip it can be a real pain…
I've got Distronic Plus with Steering Assist on a '22. I'm slowly getting used to the jiggling. It's just that I very rarely (maybe once or twice on a day long road trip) had to do it on my previous car from 2015. It's just on straights, but when I drive in Europe on highways there are lots of straights.

Maybe it was a different kind of sensor on the Volvo after all. It just needed pressure on the wheel, without actually turning/juggling it a bit.
then again, there are videos of people tying beer cans to the steering wheel and that works, so who knows.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:03 AM

2022 GLE 450
I've got Distronic Plus with Steering Assist on a '22. I'm slowly getting used to the jiggling. It's just that I very rarely (maybe once or twice on a day long road trip) had to do it on my previous car from 2015. It's just on straights, but when I drive in Europe on highways there are lots of straights.

Maybe it was a different kind of sensor on the Volvo after all. It just needed pressure on the wheel, without actually turning/juggling it a bit.
then again, there are videos of people tying beer cans to the steering wheel and that works, so who knows.
I can see the beer cans helping. This would alleviate all issues once a cop pulls you over and throws your a$$ in jail. - LOL

Last edited by TonyF61; 10-26-2022 at 02:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ron.s (10-26-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 10:08 AM

GLE
Originally Posted by TonyF61
I can see the beer cans helping. This would elevate all issues once a cop pulls you over and throws your a$$ in jail. - LOL
Definitly not something I want to try.
To be clear - I'm not trying to drive without holding the wheel. I am holding it and sometimes still get the warnings, which I didn't get in my previous car.
The consensus here seems to be that you have to jiggle it once in a while. But if a weight on one side of the wheel is enough, then I just have to find the right hand position to get the same effect.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:13 AM

2022 GLE 450
Definitly not something I want to try.
To be clear - I'm not trying to drive without holding the wheel. I am holding it and sometimes still get the warnings, which I didn't get in my previous car.
The consensus here seems to be that you have to jiggle it once in a while. But if a weight on one side of the wheel is enough, then I just have to find the right hand position to get the same effect.
I'm would hope nobody would use the beer cans. Although I have thought of using a weight, I just don't know if it will work. You also don't want the weight to interfere with the assisted steering, as it is not that aggressive. I also considered adding a zip tie to it to simulate pressure, but never did it - I'm good with the jiggling.

Please let us know what works for you, as long as it doesn't involve hanging beer cans or liters of booze.

Last edited by TonyF61; 10-26-2022 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Public service announcement.
Old 12-02-2022, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
By the way, I found someone who is experiencing exactly what I’m experiencing. You should look at what you posted and assumed here. Yes, this car is poorly designed, engineered and built.

Just like the violent shaking, I’m sure there are others out there as well.
Old 12-03-2022, 12:59 PM

2022 GLE 450
Originally Posted by Frenetic
By the way, I found someone who is experiencing exactly what I’m experiencing. You should look at what you posted and assumed here. Yes, this car is poorly designed, engineered and built.

Just like the violent shaking, I’m sure there are others out there as well.
To whom are you referring to? I made no assumptions here. Furthermore, I attempted to assist you with your issues.
Old 12-03-2022, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
i appreciate the help, but much of this thread dovetailed into “user error,” “you’re doing it wrong,” or “that’s how it’s supposed to work.” How many people here actually thought or considered something may actually be broken with the car?
Old 12-03-2022, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,597 Likes on 1,175 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
When someone posts with a problem, the best course of action, normally is to try some troubleshooting.

Posts that ask "do you have this setting enabled," "when does it happen," or provide procedures to use in troubleshooting, are not "attacks."
​​​​​​They are people sincerely trying to help.

If the OP doesn't give enough information about their issues, helpful folks might go out of their way to research and show potential solutions. Kudos to them - that's what this forum is about.

For example, it's possible that a simple setting change could solve an issue, or it might lead to ways to document and present the issue to a Service Department.

There has been a spirit of helpfulness on the Forum for years. IMO it's a valuable resource, and opinions should be considered instead of being immediately refuted.

IMO an OP owes some consideration and respect to respondents, plus some actual research before dismissing some potentially useful information.
The following 4 users liked this post by mikapen:
DavidBN (12-04-2022), mjb2124 (12-03-2022), Ron.s (12-03-2022), TexAg91 (12-18-2022)
Old 12-03-2022, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
People arguing with me that the car is fine and I’m doing it wrong even after I went through all of suggestions, followed up by more it’s working as intended and insisting I’m wrong, wasn’t and isn’t helpful. If anyone feels entitled for respect, that says a lot about a person. If anyone wants thanks for insisting everything is fine with the car, well sorry, it wasn’t.

By the way, no one is forcing you to help me, especially if you feel entitled for respect for doing it.
Old 12-03-2022, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
To All:
Most of us are learning as we go along. Most aren't offended when somebody knows more than we do and offers their insight.

Some of the participants actually know quite a bit, and their input might be worthwhile. No reason to trash their responses.

Participants on this thread should read back to post number one, then read down and see who argues / disregards / confronts suggestions and queries. It's interesting, to say the least.
Old 12-03-2022, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I’m still waiting for information about a trip to the Dealer on any major issue…and a copy of the work order. I suggested the Camera as others did also…off gassing, hazy lens…requires a Dealer visit so if all suggestions were followed let’s see it!
Old 12-03-2022, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,239 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Frenetic
People arguing with me that the car is fine and I’m doing it wrong even after I went through all of suggestions, followed up by more it’s working as intended and insisting I’m wrong, wasn’t and isn’t helpful. If anyone feels entitled for respect, that says a lot about a person. If anyone wants thanks for insisting everything is fine with the car, well sorry, it wasn’t.

By the way, no one is forcing you to help me, especially if you feel entitled for respect for doing it.
I didn't get that impression reading through the responses that they were not helpful. If you don't want to receive any help, simply state in your initial post that you are not interested in help and only wanting to vent.

This thread can be broken down into two options. 1. The option isn't working as intended and requires service/repair or 2. Operator error/misunderstanding the functionality of the feature.
The posts appears to clarify which one of the two options maybe the cause apart from some venting.
If option 1 I suggest to get the car repaired under warranty and update the community of the results as it may help others. If option 2, there should be no need to be defensive; I see posters to be genuinely interested in helping or trying to understand the issue better.
Old 12-03-2022, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
If that’s what you can take from five pages, so be it, you’re seeing something different than me.

I’ve already taken it to the dealer and they couldn’t fix it. I’ve been to the useless place three times since I’ve purchased this car four months ago. I pin my hopes on this gentleman https://mbworld.org/forums/glc63s-gl...activated.html. However, I don’t have much faith.
Old 12-03-2022, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
However, this reinforces how poor this car is designed and built.
Old 12-03-2022, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the research. Keep us updated.
Old 12-03-2022, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
You’re welcome. Mercedes should reimburse us for having to buy these cars.

Now go back and look at some of the posts here.

Last edited by Frenetic; 12-03-2022 at 07:29 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lane Keep Assist While Changing Lanes (Driving Assist)