2021 GLE350 Cylinder Head Failure??!!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2023, 10:01 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,028 Likes on 3,165 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by millyellz
yes I’m in the same DAMN boat. Contacted MBUSA for help. Warranty over 3 weeks and the damages as followed:

$ 5,325 parts (Head and parts)
$4000 Labor
Sorry to hear. MB product reliability and customer care are very low quality. Sadly for all involved.
The following users liked this post:
millyellz (12-13-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 10:46 AM

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts
'20 GLS450, '17 S550 Sedan
Yes I’m in the same DAMN boat. 2020 GLE 350 50,100 miles. Contacted MBUSA for help.

Family and myself longtime Mercedes Supporters. Still also have a ML350 with 151k miles that runs like the day I bought it back in 2008.
I'm glad you contacted MBUSA. I recommend keeping polite but firm pressure on them... emails and phone calls, until you get a satisfactory "good will" resolution.

I had a W251 years ago with a known software issue that Mercedes couldn't fix. It wasn't serious enough for lemon-law buyback. Nevertheless, after a couple months of pressure on MBUSA, they provided me with a sizeable $$ voucher towards my next new or CPO purchase.

I'm sorry that you're dealing with this, and I wish you the best of luck!
The following 3 users liked this post by mercedesbuff:
chassis (12-13-2023), millyellz (12-13-2023), Mledwards54 (12-13-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 07:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 c300 4matic
MB Contact

Yes I’m in the same DAMN boat. 2020 GLE 350 50,100 miles. Contacted MBUSA for help. Warranty over 3 weeks and the damages as followed:

$ 5,325 parts (Head and parts)
$ 4000 Labor

Total **** Job on a car that has been serviced on schedule for every thing at dealership since day 1.

Family and myself longtime Mercedes Supporters. Still also have a ML350 with 151k miles that runs like the day I bought it back in 2008. This W167 GLE barely lasted 50k miles before Leaking Valve.
Who did you contact at MB, any contact information you can provide would be appreciated. I did call today but did not get a positive response. Thanks
chassis (12-13-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 08:43 PM

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts
'20 GLS450, '17 S550 Sedan
I looked through my emails and found this address that I was using, when I was corresponding with Mercedes about my case: MBUSA_CAC@mbusa.com

Even after my case was assigned to a handler, his correspondence still came via that email address. That was 5 years ago, so I'm not sure if Mercedes is still using that email address, but it's worth a shot.

BEFORE I got traction with Mercedes corporate, I had written an actual snail mail letter to MBUSA with carbon copies to my dealership General Manager and Service Manager. The letter was professional and polite, and I made sure to include details on all the previous Mercedes that I had owned and serviced exclusively with Mercedes, to show my loyalty to the brand (and to point out that my loyalty was worth something to them in the future).

Sometimes, even in today's tech world where email dominates, a good old fashioned snail mail letter is harder to ignore. Here are the current mailing addresses that you can target. I would send to Corporate, as well as your Region (if you're not sure, just guess), plus carbon copies to your General Manager and Service Manager. That way, everyone knows you're not going away...

Good luck!

chassis (12-13-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gle350
Originally Posted by PJSD
2021 GLE350 4matic suddenly starts shaking at idle, loss of power and shaking while driving. Sometimes drives normally, but check engine light on permanently. Take to dealer and told cylinder head needs to be replaced. The car has about 14k miles. Anyone else experience this? How concerning is this that it's happen so soon, or at all? I mean I would not expect this kind of issue. Is this car going to have serious problems going forward? Pretty disappointing actually. Wondering everyone's thoughts on this. Should've bought a BMW
I just had the same exact issue with my 2021 gle 350 w. 30k miles. Loss of power, check engine light came on and then went away. Couple of days later check engine light came back on. I made an appointment and took it to the dealer immediately and dropped it off yesterday. they said it's rare but it does happen....doesn't sound like that to me anymore after reading this thread. It was a CPO and under warranty so that's not an issue but it's a major repair....almost like getting a brand-new motor. Told me it could take a week to 10 days. Did it take that long for yours to get repaired as well?
Old 01-14-2024, 06:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes GLE 2021 de hybrid plug-in
Broken connecting rod - engine replacement 51.000 km!!!

I had very similar thing and had to replace engine, will create new topic…

Last edited by Damian86dk; 01-14-2024 at 06:25 AM.
Old 02-26-2024, 11:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 350
Originally Posted by PJSD
I'll keep you folks updated. Yes, it is under warranty thankfully and the dealer is addressing it.

However, I'll tell you why I'm disappointed. Like many of you, I've owned many, many cars of different makes. Currently, I have a 2020 GLS450 and the '21 GLE. The GLS with 17k miles has a few different quality issues, for example separating seats, which the GLE also has, a broken center console door, and some computer/software glitches that are intermittent. Engine seems fine. The GLE has 14k miles the separating MBTEX seats, and the cylinder head failure. I would expect more from a Mercedes, I would not expect more from a KIA or Hyundai, not to bash those makes. My last 12 vehicles were BMWs, with no problems. I have a 2020 Porsche 911 with 19k miles. No problems. I have a 2016 Toyota Tundra with 40k miles, no problems. I have a 2015 Lexus RX350 with 80k miles, not a single issue. In that context, I'm disappointed with my $85,000 GLS and $70k GLE. A cylinder head failure is not a minor thing from what I can tell. It's been in the shop a week so far. I hope this is the end of the issues, and the motor doesn't crap out the week after the warranty expires.
I am on my first and last Mercedes vehicle. I have a 2020 GLE350 and have cylinder head failure, broken center consul door (threw that in there bc you did), AC issues, SIM card issues, CV joint issues, and some phantom noises while driving a various times. I really miss my Lexus RX350, their customer service is impeccable, and the cars are solid!
The following 2 users liked this post by MissingLEX:
chassis (02-26-2024), newtothebenz (03-12-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 04:47 PM

GLE 350
Angry

Originally Posted by Ron.s
Here we go again…. One GLE 4 cylinder head failure reported and it’s either a design failure, maybe substandard parts from cost cutting, shared cheap parts or maybe a laser bolt from an Alien Spacecraft! These comments are not backed up with any facts.

The V167 GLE 350 is well over 50% of GLE sales and over 3.5 years and more than 100,000 sold in the US alone. This is really a serious situation with .00001 cylinder head failures reported. If only 10% are reported then that means that’s a whopping .0001 failure rate. I’m not going to do the research on the other models but you get the point. No car Co. is going to cheap out on engine parts hoping to save money…the warranty cost would bury them.
I hope someday One of our members gets over his hatred for the product, poor Dealer Service or whatever fora car that he doesn’t even own. I don’t know about anyone else but I’m disappointed that adults continue to jump on any perceived issue without facts.

I wish everyone who is experiencing this issue would report it and maybe we can get a class action, I don't know how that work. My 2020 GLE Base with 57K miles supposedly needs a new cylinder head and then there are other codes that "may or may not" be fixed by the cylinder head replacement. I did file a complaint with the NHSTA, but not sure if that will do anything. I am considering a lawyer at this point. I don't understand why the emissions extended warranty for the GLA or C, and GLB is not extended to the GLE. I do feel like GLE owners are quieter about their issues.

I have had this vehicle since August of 2022, I got it with 39k miles and now it has 57k, but it has been in the shop so much. I have had CV joint issues, AC went out over the summer and the repairs the dealership did were not completed correctly, and now all of these engine issues.

I am already upside down in the car and now I am facing $10-15K in repairs. Something has to be done and I will do whatever I need to get this escalated., I would really appreciate ANY and ALL guidance from anyone in this forum.
newtothebenz (03-12-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 768 Likes on 479 Posts
2023 S500
I just saw this posted on Reddit. I’m not sure if it’s referencing the latest CR survey from a few days ago, but MB was essentially dead last in latest one as well.

Also, you’ll hear a bunch of apologists coming out and saying nothing is wrong with their car or CR is unreliable crap, blah, blah, blah. Just draw your own conclusions. To me, this doesn’t happen on accident. There were conscious, deliberate decisions made at the executive and management level that created this. It’s just like Boeing and the crap they now produce. The crown jewel of aviation making crap because of a negligent and irresponsible workplace culture nurtured by shortsighted greed and/or incompetence.

chassis (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 10:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,028 Likes on 3,165 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
MB is indeed at the bottom of the you-know-what heap in terms of reliability, new car delivered quality, dealer experience and corporate customer support.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,224 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by MissingLEX
I wish everyone who is experiencing this issue would report it and maybe we can get a class action, I don't know how that work. My 2020 GLE Base with 57K miles supposedly needs a new cylinder head and then there are other codes that "may or may not" be fixed by the cylinder head replacement. I did file a complaint with the NHSTA, but not sure if that will do anything. I am considering a lawyer at this point. I don't understand why the emissions extended warranty for the GLA or C, and GLB is not extended to the GLE. I do feel like GLE owners are quieter about their issues.

I have had this vehicle since August of 2022, I got it with 39k miles and now it has 57k, but it has been in the shop so much. I have had CV joint issues, AC went out over the summer and the repairs the dealership did were not completed correctly, and now all of these engine issues.

I am already upside down in the car and now I am facing $10-15K in repairs. Something has to be done and I will do whatever I need to get this escalated., I would really appreciate ANY and ALL guidance from anyone in this forum.
Ouch!
I think you'll need to provide better information than "supposedly needs a new cylinder head," to build any sort of case.

We'd also like to find more about your engine.

Will the service department write a definitive finding?

Can you ask them with words to the effect, are you just throwing parts at it?

Is that service department working directly with MB Germany? Have they opened a case?
Have they stopped working on it?

I don't think this would be an emissions warranty if the engine failed. Unless it could be determined that an emissions component failed, causing the engine failure. But that would be a stretch.

Last edited by mikapen; 02-28-2024 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-06-2024, 07:07 PM

GLE 350
Originally Posted by JillHou
Our 2020 is 1 month out of warranty and MBUSA thus far is suggesting we buy a new MB. They have been EXTREMELY unresponsive. It was supposedly being escalated and the person to whom it was given will not call us back. This might be related to the exhaust valve extended warranty issued on some of the other class of vehicles.

Hey Jill, How did everything work out for you with your situation? Did you report to anyone other than Mercedes. My 2020 is needing a new Cylinder head, it is going to cost $10K, and I keep seeing all different ranges of pricing for this issue on the 2020 GLE. I reported to the NHTSA, but I am not sure how good one person will do, and I am not sure if that is even the correct avenue. I am looking to hire a consumer protection lawyer to go after MBUSA on this matter. I would love to speak with you more and get any feed back or anything that could help build a case and hopefully help with anyone that has paid for this services.
Old 03-06-2024, 07:23 PM

GLE 350
Originally Posted by Mledwards54
Any ideas on the cost to replace the head on the 2020 GLE 350...we are having this same issue..simply dreadful.

Mine is costing $10,814, but my service advisor is graciously getting me a discount at $10k. I am trying to figure out how to fight this with Mercedes.
Old 03-06-2024, 08:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 GLS 450
@MissingLEX I was the OP on this topic, the dealer fixed the issue it took a couple weeks, no issues since then. We also have a 2020 GLS450 that doesn't have any issues, only 29k miles on that. We still have the GLE and GLS.
mikapen (03-07-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 07:29 AM

GLE 350
Originally Posted by mikapen
Ouch!
I think you'll need to provide better information than "supposedly needs a new cylinder head," to build any sort of case.
The vehicle does need a new cylinder head, well it has one now.

We'd also like to find more about your engine.
Mine is just a 350 Base, so from what I have learned thus far, a M264 since the GLE is rear-wheel

Will the service department write a definitive finding?
I didn't ask for definitive finding per say, but I asked a lot of questions regarding the diagnostic tests they performed, how they could be 100% sure it was the cylinder head and asked for reports. I posted a new thread with a lot of details on the process and the invoice.

Can you ask them with words to the effect, are you just throwing parts at it?
I have the part information now, so I can verify that.

Is that service department working directly with MB Germany? Have they opened a case?
I asked about a Goodwill case, and he shut me down quick. The job was completed less than 24-hours after I okayed the work. I have been paying out of pocket for rental cars and I needed to make something else happen quicker. I wish I had another vehicle to drive so I could have figured the money out first. I should have asked for a detailed work order prior to beginning, but they may have taken their time and covered tracks if I had gone that route.

Have they stopped working on it?
The vehicle is finished. The tech spent a lot of time on it so he could go on vacation.

I don't think this would be an emissions warranty if the engine failed. Unless it could be determined that an emissions component failed, causing the engine failure. But that would be a stretch.
The only reason I mentioned this is because that is what the Emissions Extended Warranty that was afforded to GLB, GLA, GLC, and A-classes with the FWD version of the same engine stated. All of the same codes and same major components.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Cylinder Head Invoice.pdf (371.7 KB, 47 views)
Old 03-08-2024, 07:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 733 Likes on 548 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Originally Posted by MissingLEX
The only reason I mentioned this is because that is what the Emissions Extended Warranty that was afforded to GLB, GLA, GLC, and A-classes with the FWD version of the same engine stated. All of the same codes and same major components.
Hell yeah it should have been covered if your vehicle is one of those listed.

Plainly says exhaust valve and head.

Does you issue meet the requireents?

Push back