Retrofit Heated / Cooled Cup Holder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
Retrofit Heated / Cooled Cup Holder

This is probably going to be one of those features that has little to no benefit but I didn't want to pass it up. I was able to acquire a cupholder, mating connector, and factory pins. If you require a complete kit, contact mbenznl@gmail.com. Steve can get you the necessary parts as a kit.

I wanted to make the harness first before tearing the console apart. The cupholder requires 4 wires.
1. Power - 12volts
2. Ground - Passenger footwell right side. There is a ground point there below the fuse box.
3. LIN connector - x138/1x1 which can be found in the center console itself.
4. Dimming circuit to illuminate the button itself at night.

There is a seperate connector for the multi-color illumination. My car already has factory multicolor illumination (I Think all USA models have this) so this just requires to move the connector from the old cup holder to new.

Below is a picture of progress on the harness. I use TXL wire (automotive grade) and wrapped in fabric TEXA tape (as mercedes does from factory).

The harness custom made with factory connector and pins.

The cupholder using a Peltier cooler for heating and cooling.

Wiring diagram and Mercedes tray with factory pins (from when I use to own my shop)
Old 02-12-2023, 12:21 PM

Received 204 Likes on 164 Posts
2021 GLC 300 4Matic
Looks like some good work. Will be interested in seeing how it looks and operates once installed.
The following users liked this post:
TonyF61 (02-13-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 08:31 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLE 580 | 2020 Ram 1500 Limited
Just my two cents but honestly even though I ordered the heated/cooled cup holders. I wish I didn't I dont find myself turning them on as much as I thought I would. However more importantly they suck when it comes to holding any sort of cup, can, mug, thermos or what have you in place. The standard cup holders are much better at grabbing and holding the item in place. I think it boils down to design and engineering with the big opening in the center between both sides being the achilles heel along with only one retension arm. . I had my share of tip overs from standard driving to the point that I will only use my cupholders with items that have a secure leak proof top that I have to open ever sip which defeats the ease of use all together

Last edited by btshep; 02-13-2023 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-14-2023, 11:06 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
GLE350
Originally Posted by btshep
Just my two cents but honestly even though I ordered the heated/cooled cup holders. I wish I didn't I dont find myself turning them on as much as I thought I would. However more importantly they suck when it comes to holding any sort of cup, can, mug, thermos or what have you in place. The standard cup holders are much better at grabbing and holding the item in place. I think it boils down to design and engineering with the big opening in the center between both sides being the achilles heel along with only one retension arm. . I had my share of tip overs from standard driving to the point that I will only use my cupholders with items that have a secure leak proof top that I have to open ever sip which defeats the ease of use all together
We have a new '23 GLE350 with heated/cooled and I quickly realized our mistake in ordering these. Anything skinny like a plastic water bottle, can of red bull ,etc. flops around terribly.

I have been on the search for a solution and recently found something with a wide enough base that stays in place well. You can angle the handle toward the big opening between the cupholders.

Maybe give one of these a try:

https://www.yeti.com/drinkware/mugs/mug-24oz.html

Old 02-14-2023, 01:33 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLE 580 | 2020 Ram 1500 Limited
Originally Posted by mynewgle
We have a new '23 GLE350 with heated/cooled and I quickly realized our mistake in ordering these. Anything skinny like a plastic water bottle, can of red bull ,etc. flops around terribly.

I have been on the search for a solution and recently found something with a wide enough base that stays in place well. You can angle the handle toward the big opening between the cupholders.

Maybe give one of these a try:

https://www.yeti.com/drinkware/mugs/mug-24oz.html
yes! Great minds think a like all my mugs and tumblers are all yeti. The bases and come in a few different diameters, depending on the capacity and some fit better than others. I actually love and swear by their hotshot cap. It is 100% leak proof when closed. So you can just throw it in a bag and not worry but also when opened, you can just grab it and sip from anywhere without having to look for the opening which is gray for driving. No misses or accidents. it’s a brilliant designing, a win-win, across-the-board. However, yetis are double walled, insulated so that negates the ability of the heating and cooling to work which brings your right back to the standard cupholders, which are designed much better and are more functional than the upgrade in the first place
Old 02-16-2023, 03:21 PM

Received 193 Likes on 133 Posts
2024 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by btshep
I absolutely agree. My 2023 GLE 350 loaner has the heated/cooled cup holders. I had skinny bottles in them and tried to use them. I did feel the sides of the cup holders get cold, but I did not notice the drink get any cooler. Also the skinny bottles flop around in those cup holders.

I prefer the standard cup holders in my 2021 GLE 350.
Old 01-24-2024, 12:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 GLS 450
Cup holder

Originally Posted by SUNILP
This is probably going to be one of those features that has little to no benefit but I didn't want to pass it up. I was able to acquire a cupholder, mating connector, and factory pins. If you require a complete kit, contact mbenznl@gmail.com. Steve can get you the necessary parts as a kit.

I wanted to make the harness first before tearing the console apart. The cupholder requires 4 wires.
1. Power - 12volts
2. Ground - Passenger footwell right side. There is a ground point there below the fuse box.
3. LIN connector - x138/1x1 which can be found in the center console itself.
4. Dimming circuit to illuminate the button itself at night.

There is a seperate connector for the multi-color illumination. My car already has factory multicolor illumination (I Think all USA models have this) so this just requires to move the connector from the old cup holder to new.

Below is a picture of progress on the harness. I use TXL wire (automotive grade) and wrapped in fabric TEXA tape (as mercedes does from factory).

The harness custom made with factory connector and pins.

The cupholder using a Peltier cooler for heating and cooling.

Wiring diagram and Mercedes tray with factory pins (from when I use to own my shop)
this will not work, you need to code it to the car. Even Mercedes dealers do not have tools for coding new features to any Mercedes.Also I’m not sure if you can find the wire from rear SAM.
Starting from 2020, Mercedes produces different wiring for different functions, if any function is not provided, then the wire will not be laid in the harness .

Last edited by Fishlover; 01-24-2024 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-24-2024, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 229 Likes on 156 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
The new cupholders in the V167 is not as useful like the one on the X166. The new one is so big that when I was using it it gets a bad spot as it is not fully enclosed. On the X166 there are two sizes and each side has it's retainer tab like the V167. So those not so big drinks does get cooled or kept warm better to a certain point not like on the V167 it is all just a show.
Old 01-24-2024, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,206 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Fishlover
this will not work, you need to code it to the car. Even Mercedes dealers do not have tools for coding new features to any Mercedes.Also I’m not sure if you can find the wire from rear SAM.
Starting from 2020, Mercedes produces different wiring for different functions, if any function is not provided, then the wire will not be laid in the harness .
Are you sure?
That would mean they are abandoning the CANbus, which is a staple of modern cars.