GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Why did you choose GLE over X5 (or others)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2023, 05:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 768 Likes on 479 Posts
2023 S500
I did move on to another vehicle. That forum is fine. And?
Old 06-17-2023, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
Old Merc and myself are the only ones in this thread that owned both cars. I’m not saying everyone else’s opinions are useless, but they really are. I don’t agree with old merc, but to each their own. The only thing the GLE did better was rear seat legroom imo. The only question I have for old merc is why would you trade a 2021 for a 2020? That’s going backwards.
Old 06-17-2023, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
I don’t see your name on Bimmerpost Oldmerc. Did you post under another pseudonym or didn’t bother?
Old 06-18-2023, 06:14 AM

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts
2020 GLE450 / 2003 BMW M5
Originally Posted by Frenetic
The only question I have for old merc is why would you trade a 2021 for a 2020? That’s going backwards.
LunaTheBlue on Bimmerpost.

TLDR: I returned to a GLE for the suspension - otherwise I would’ve kept the X5.

I do think the X5 is a better vehicle in most areas. The build quality was better. The ownership experience was nicer - BMW dealers are better from what I experienced. I’ve had less pleasant interactions with MB dealers and MBUSA. Also, BMW technology was more user friendly overall.

I’d recommend an X5 for most people who just want something nice and comfortable that works with minimal inconvenience. They’re (mostly) more reliable based on my service experience with both. The PHEV 45e is a fantastic powertrain - MBUSA dropped the ball not optimizing an I6 w/ plug-in option with 40mi of range like BMW has. It sounds great, is surprisingly sporty, and covers most city driving.

My main problem was I came from an ML550 with Active Curve - and when you get used to the stability and lack of head toss that comes with active roll bars on long trips, it’s hard to be happy with regular anti-roll bars. It was obvious to me after my first two long drives. A fully optioned Mercedes is just a better cruiser.

While the X5 can be optioned with 48V active anti-roll bars, it couldn’t be ordered in the US on a 45e. Only on higher trims with a V8 - which I didn’t want. I bought the X5 for the PHEV powertrain and then realized I cared more about the suspension than the powertrain.

For me, it’s specifically the highway stability of a Mercedes that BMW can’t replicate. A Mercedes is just easier to drive over very long distances (11-15hr drives). I didn’t like the steering effort at highway speed in the X5, though steering assist helped. Sounds silly, but a Mercedes is easier to drive in a straight line because of their steering box design.

The GLE I purchased can’t be ordered in the US anymore - they discontinued Burmester High End and eABC, which were options I wanted. I didn’t want a GLS - where those can still be ordered. I wanted the best highway mileage with the most comfortable suspension - and I like the I6 in the Mercedes almost as much as the BMW. It’s quiet and gets the job done.

Last edited by OldMerc94; 06-18-2023 at 06:16 AM.
Old 06-18-2023, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 484 Likes on 359 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
Originally Posted by pmrob
I have a 2022 X5 and my wife has a 2020 GLE 350. First, what I think does not matter. Do what works for you. Both are decent vehicles and will serve the purpose. My 2 cents:

Infotainment: I have the iDrive 7. I much prefer that interface to the MBUX as I can do a lot more without taking my eyes of the road. The new X5 is less user friendly I have heard as many hard buttons are now screen based. IDrive controller still there which is preferred to the MB method but the userfiendlieness is probably closer than it was than when I purchased mine.
Thank you for the in depth response! Obvioulsy we all have different prefernces and tastes which is why there isn't just one car available, so I figured I'd respond to a few things from my personal experience. First of all, I know a ton of people who love iDrive. I used to, but for some reason I never felt super great about ID7. I always felt i couldn't only use the screen with touch or only with the wheel. And I thought there was too much black and felt it was too much like widgets and not like apps for me. I felt way better with MBUX. May have just been what I spent more seat time in. Both very good systems, but I'm an MBUX person through and through. I think ID8 is a slight downgrade from ID7, and MBUX 2 is a slight downgrade/neutral vs MBUX 1 specifically on the GLE.

Interior quality: BMW is a step above. If you do not tap the door cards or push the bottom of the dash to see how solid and squishy it is, you may never know or care.
I agree with this on the base end - the base GLE has a lot of plastic and needs to be upgraded with the MB-Tex dash and door trim for it to feel trully luxurious, which the B<W essentially has standard. However if you option the cars up the wazoo, I think it becomes a lot more even EXCEPT for the lower cup holder area which is far nicer on the BMW. But yeah, the MB NEEDS the one $350 simple option to copete with the BMW, but if you get it, I think they're neck and neck. Both fantastic.

Seats: Base MB fine. Base BMW not so fine. Multi contour on BMW work better for me than base seats in wife's GLE 350. I never sat in MB seat upgrade. Probably more comfortable if you want to spend $4k + (since it requires other options you can exclude in BMW). MB allows more seat and steering adjustment. BMW pleather a bit nicer than MB pleather.
One note: to get the massage seats, the upgrades needes are the same. Both need the upgrade from pleather to leather and the vebtillated seats to get massage. On the MB leather was $1,620 and ventillated seats $450. On the BMW you had to get Vernasca, also about $1,500, and the luxury seating package bundled the massage with the ventillation. I think it's harder to see because so many more BMWs have the Vernasca upgrade then MBs do, so it feels like it's less significant. But both have the same upgrades to get there. The other difference though is you can get just the multicontour without massage on BMW, and for only $750, while in MB they come together.

Also - in my opinion, the old Sensatac on 2019-2022 X5s felt much more rubbery and lower quality then MBs MB-Tex which to me actually feels nicer then the step up leather. I think BMWs Vernasca and MBs leather feel similarly mediocer and MBs Nappa and BMWs Merino feel similarly lovely. So worst to best I would rank:
BMW Sensatac
Tie MB leather/BMW Vernasca
MB MB-Tex
Tie MB nappa/BMW Merino

HOWEVER BMW on the 2023s came out with their new Sensafin and it's AMAZING. Feels like the nappa and Merino. Absolutely fantastic job BMW. So now it would be from Worst to Best
MB Leather
MB MB-Tex
Tie MB nappa/BMW Sensafin/BMW Merino.

All in my opinion of course.
Old 06-18-2023, 07:58 PM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
2023 GLE 450
Old Merc and myself are the only ones in this thread that owned both cars. I’m not saying everyone else’s opinions are useless, but they really are. I don’t agree with old merc, but to each their own. The only thing he GLEs did better was rear seat legroom imo. The only question I have for old merc is why would you trade a 2021 for a 2020? That’s going backwards.
J

Last edited by manbeing; 06-18-2023 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-18-2023, 08:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,847 Likes on 2,425 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by BlueYonder
I have a 2015 X5 diesel. Very uncomfortable seats. Lots of problems, multiple recalls for exhaust system. I have had to replace a coolant sensor, fuel injector, and oil filter attachment gasket in the last 3 months. $2200 for the injector alone. Service manager says when one injector goes, the others are likely to follow. A/C system is difficult to operate. Automatic temperature control is a joke. The interior door handle disintegrated (a known problem and not covered by BMW). On the plus side, I love the diesel engine (minus the problems), the X5 drives well and the dash layout is well designed. I wish Mercedes would adopt the rear tailgate design of the X5.

I also had a 2018 GLE 550e. Much more comfortable than my X5. Seats were much better. Interior material quality was well above the X5. I had far less trouble with the GLE. They replaced the transmission valve body early on under warranty to fix the hard shifting problem. Other than that, no major issues.

I looked at both cars as a replacement for my 2018 GLE. The 2024 GLE 450 and 2024 X5 have comparable power and acceleration. I found the GLE to be more comfortable, quieter, and had better seats. The X5 had a smoother transmission. Both cars drive well. The GLE would be my first choice for a long road trip. I especially disliked the new dash design for the X5. The new 2024 X5 LCI looks like they designed it, realized they forgot the instrument display, and just slapped one on top of the dash.

The X5 is my daily driver/grocery getter. There would have been little advantage to a new X5 PHEV as around town local driving is where the electric drive shines. As I learned with my GLE 550e, on long highway trips, once the battery is depleted, there is not much, if any, advantage over the straight ICE version. I always dreaded the possibility of a battery failure out of warranty.
Curious, what exactly went wrong with the transmission, what came to the conclusion for the dealership to replace the valve body, were there stored trouble codes in the car's computer that the dealership identified if so what were they?

How common was the shifting issue and I am guessing it was easily duplicated by your dealerships to help diagnose it?

A valve body as you know is like a brain of the transmission (other than the transmission control unit). So it is a big deal when that gets replaced so was curious what made them decided yup the valve body is the issue and fixed it for you?
Old 06-18-2023, 09:11 PM

Received 232 Likes on 155 Posts
2024 GLE 450, 2015 X5 35d, 2009 SLK 300
I had the same hard downshifts that others have complained about with the newer 9 speed transmission. My local dealer had a mechanic who knew how to duplicate it. After several attempts at changing the shift points with software modification, the engineers decided to replace the transmission valve body. It took several months for one to arrive from Germany. This resolved the problem and 50,000 miles later, I traded the GLE 550e for a new GLE 450
Old 06-18-2023, 09:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

I had the same hard downshifts that others have complained about with the newer 9 speed transmission. My local dealer had a mechanic who knew how to duplicate it. After several attempts at changing the shift points with software modification, the engineers decided to replace the transmission valve body. It took several months for one to arrive from Germany. This resolved the problem and 50,000 miles later, I traded the GLE 550e for a new GLE 450
I see, sounds like you met the right person (tech) for the job, good for you. Didn't know the 2018 GLE 550e had the 9G though. I always thought it was a 7G, I was wrong then.
Old 06-18-2023, 10:16 PM

Received 218 Likes on 142 Posts
2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
I see, sounds like you met the right person (tech) for the job, good for you.
A rare thing. In my experience the rule is simple: If there is no code, there is no problem. "Sir, your transmission, while admittedly not smooth, is operating within acceptable parameters."

Last edited by HotRodW; 06-18-2023 at 10:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
djgiovanni (06-19-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 11:04 PM

It was the 7 speed. I think they are very similar to the 9 speed.
Old 06-18-2023, 11:04 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2022 GLE 450
The biggest factors for me:
-most room for back seat passengers in its class
-inline 6 turbo engine
-Mercedes quality
-air suspension
Old 06-19-2023, 07:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by HotRodW
A rare thing. In my experience the rule is simple: If there is no code, there is no problem. "Sir, your transmission, while admittedly not smooth, is operating within acceptable parameters."
sigh...
Old 06-19-2023, 07:40 AM
Out Of Control!!

It was the 7 speed. I think they are very similar to the 9 speed.
never mind so it was the 7 speed, anyways thanks for your reply to my post.
Old 06-19-2023, 07:44 AM

Received 150 Likes on 90 Posts
2024 GLE, 2022 GLC , 2022 GLC
A generation newer
Old 06-19-2023, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
moto
Originally Posted by EL-34
The biggest factors for me:
-most room for back seat passengers in its class
-inline 6 turbo engine
-Mercedes quality
-air suspension
Yes supply chain is a factor. On the 2024 X5, you can't order air suspension, Executive package, and I don't think the top end Bowers Wilkins is available now on any X5's. If you move to the X5 50e, it comes with air suspension due to the weight and you can order the executive package. I think smooth inline 6 on both. Agreed, more room and more comfortable seats for back seat passengers; it happens to not be much of a factor for us personally.
Old 06-19-2023, 08:14 PM

Received 121 Likes on 83 Posts
2024 AMG GLE 53
Simple choice for us. 2 rear facing car seats. Fit a lot better for the front row in the GLE than the X5.
Car seat test right at the dealer. Both cars had the front seats set up for the same driver at daily position.

The following users liked this post:
WSABlue430 (06-25-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 10:10 AM

Received 193 Likes on 133 Posts
2024 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
I originally ordered a 2021 GLE back in 2020 and it was supposed to be delivered December of 2020. It got delayed for almost 3 months so I was shopping the X5 and 5 series. If the salesman and manager of the dealer would have stopped trying to rip me off, I would have leased an X5 or a 5 series instead of my current GLE. For reference, the X5 he quoted me at the time was almost $1,200 per month (I believe it was with some money down) on a demo X5 and for a new 5 series I was quoted around 700 a month with money down. Safe to say after we yelled at each other and him telling me to never step foot inside a BMW dealership ever again, I will always view BMW in a negative light. On a side note, their new stuff is UGLY AF!

Besides that terrible experience, I did test drive the X5 at another dealership and I did like that it was faster than the GLE, but the seats and drive were not as comfortable as the GLE. The windshield is not steep enough and I am 6'4 so it was hard to see traffic lights. Also the headlights on the X5 do not light up the road as much as my GLE with the lighting package and even the standard GLE headlights.
Old 06-20-2023, 11:17 AM

Received 200 Likes on 127 Posts
2021 AMG GLE53 | 2013 SLK350 Sport
Originally Posted by makris0000
I originally ordered a 2021 GLE back in 2020 and it was supposed to be delivered December of 2020. It got delayed for almost 3 months so I was shopping the X5 and 5 series. If the salesman and manager of the dealer would have stopped trying to rip me off, I would have leased an X5 or a 5 series instead of my current GLE. For reference, the X5 he quoted me at the time was almost $1,200 per month (I believe it was with some money down) on a demo X5 and for a new 5 series I was quoted around 700 a month with money down. Safe to say after we yelled at each other and him telling me to never step foot inside a BMW dealership ever again, I will always view BMW in a negative light. On a side note, their new stuff is UGLY AF!

Interesting story.
Hard to believe dealerships of luxury brands would let a deal go south in such a manner, let alone, engage in confrontation with potential lifetime customers. I myself have a short fuse and tend to be very difficult at dealerships when negotiating. Safe to say, I have made close ties with my local dealers and sales teams where mutual respect is not absent. They know who they are dealing with.

Last edited by djgiovanni; 06-20-2023 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-20-2023, 11:29 AM

Received 193 Likes on 133 Posts
2024 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by djgiovanni
Interesting story.
Hard to believe dealerships of luxury brands would let a deal go south in such a manner, let alone engage, in confrontation with potential lifetime customers. I myself have a short fuse and tend to be very difficult at dealerships when negotiating. Safe to say, I have made close ties with my local dealers and sales teams where mutual respect is not absent. They know who they are dealing with.
Yeah I was pretty surprised how it turned out and ashamed of the dealership. After my lease I had about 3 other family members who had leases coming due and we all ended up staying with Mercedes because we have excellent relations with them. Some were considering BMW but because of the awful experience I had they steered clear.

It was all because I kept requesting pricing for the lease quote. He kept saying it was confidential information and would not give me any sort of breakdown or a quote sheet to even look at. He would only tell me the monthly price, total due at signing, and that maintenance and window tint were included. I had no idea what discounts or fees were calculated in that price. It was sketchy to say the least, but my best friend did buy 3 or 4 used cars from him.
Old 06-20-2023, 11:37 AM

Received 200 Likes on 127 Posts
2021 AMG GLE53 | 2013 SLK350 Sport
Yeah I was pretty surprised how it turned out and ashamed of the dealership. After my lease I had about 3 other family members who had leases coming due and we all ended up staying with Mercedes because we have excellent relations with them. Some were considering BMW but because of the awful experience I had they steered clear.

It was all because I kept requesting pricing for the lease quote. He kept saying it was confidential information and would not give me any sort of breakdown or a quote sheet to even look at. He would only tell me the monthly price, total due at signing, and that maintenance and window tint were included. I had no idea what discounts or fees were calculated in that price. It was sketchy to say the least, but my best friend did buy 3 or 4 used cars from him.
You certainly did the right thing. When information is not being provided willingly or on demand, chances are you will be stiffed. Best thing to do is walk.
Old 06-20-2023, 11:45 AM
Out Of Control!!

Wow, they even pulled that, it is just not right to expect a customer to pay a monthly fee for a car of which the customer doesn't know how it came to that, residual, discounts, dealership add-ons, money factor etc. etc.

imagine buying a car not knowing the horsepower, what features, safety equipment, options, cargo space, head room and leg room etc. etc. and only know that a monthly payment of $ is due.
Old 06-20-2023, 01:39 PM

I bought an X5 4.4i after losing my E320 in Hurricane Isabel. I went to the BMW dealer in Dover Delaware already knowing that BMW had a $3000.00 rebate available on the car. The salesman and manager both denied any knowledge of the rebate. I went to the dealership in Annapolis and the first thing out of the salesman's mouth was "there's $3000.00 cash back on this car!" Needless to say, the Dover dealer did not get my money.

Last edited by BlueYonder; 06-20-2023 at 05:28 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by BlueYonder:
djgiovanni (06-20-2023), jaxslk (06-20-2023), makris0000 (06-21-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 09:02 PM

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
2021 GLE350
I owned a 2020 X5 M50i and a 2022 GLE53 and the X5 was superior imo.

It was way, way faster, had a smoother ride/suspension, much better transmission, higher quality interior, didn’t skip and take chunks out of your front tires on slow speed turns, and the overall build quality and fit and finish was vastly superior. The only drawback to the X5 vs GLE was rear seat legroom. I would choose the X5 over the GLE.

Doug DeMuro bought a Mercedes as his personal driver.

BMW's infotainment system is outdated junk.

BMW has cheap black plastic switches.

And on what planet does BMW have a higher fit and finish?

I have an X5 right now, with so many problems and creaking noises.

Last edited by RockChips; 06-20-2023 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-21-2023, 08:06 AM

Received 218 Likes on 142 Posts
2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by RockChips
Doug DeMuro bought a Mercedes as his personal driver.
To be fair, with his considerable resources Doug has purchased many vehicles over the years. Unless I'm mistaken, his 2020 Land Rover Defender 110 is his daily driver. I personally find the Defender has a lot of appeal, but I stayed away out of reliability concerns. Ironic that my GLE has been so problematic.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why did you choose GLE over X5 (or others)