GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Why did you choose GLE over X5 (or others)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 08:27 AM

Received 200 Likes on 127 Posts
2021 AMG GLE53 | 2013 SLK350 Sport
Originally Posted by Frenetic
I owned a 2020 X5 M50i and a 2022 GLE53 and the X5 was superior imo.

It was way, way faster, had a smoother ride/suspension, much better transmission, higher quality interior, didn’t skip and take chunks out of your front tires on slow speed turns, and the overall build quality and fit and finish was vastly superior. The only drawback to the X5 vs GLE was rear seat legroom. I would choose the X5 over the GLE.
Unfortunately, you are biased given the bad experience you had with your GLE Coupe and your are not to be blamed for it.
The GLE has way more merit than what you give it, nonetheless. If we may, why didn't you go back to an X5 when you traded the GLE?. You Instead went to the highest class in Mercedes-Benz hierarchy.
The following users liked this post:
HotRodW (06-21-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 718 Likes on 450 Posts
2023 S500
My comparison was based on the attributes I mentioned and overall, the X5 is superior between the two, regardless of my GLE experience. That’s my first-hand, I-owned-both opinion.

And getting the S class was the only way out of my GLE without having to endure more dealership visits trying to tally up enough days to lemon it. BMW, Audi and Porsche all laughed at the trade in versus payoff amount as I went to all three looking to escape. Thankfully, Mercedes did not and gave me a good deal so I took it. I chose that path versus having to endure more dealership visits. And the new owner had to return to the dealer within a month of buying it.
Old 06-21-2023, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
My comparison was based on the attributes I mentioned and overall, the X5 is superior between the two, regardless of my GLE experience. That’s my first-hand, I-owned-both opinion.

And getting the S class was the only way out of my GLE without having to endure more dealership visits trying to tally up enough days to lemon it. BMW, Audi and Porsche all laughed at the trade in versus payoff amount as I went to all three looking to escape. Thankfully, Mercedes did not and gave me a good deal so I took it. I chose that path versus having to endure more dealership visits. And the new owner had to return to the dealer within a month of buying it.
According to your posts, you went to the dealer for service only twice, despite Forum members' encouragement. And it looks like the car was due for it's A Service, which the new owner ac tually did. Hardly a case for a Lemon Law.

Did your family of lawyers get enough response from your requests to join their Class Action suite? You sure asked a lot for input.
PLINYELDER (06-21-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
Multiple visits within 2k miles with still yet outstanding and unresolved issues is more than I care for. Any car that does that to me has entered junk status, as the mere fact of having to go to the dealer for issues that shouldn’t be there pisses me off. I did not want to endure more dealership visits to reach that point, but I would bet a lot of money I would have eventually reached it if I couldn’t find another way out.
Old 06-22-2023, 12:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 GLE 350
2021 GLE. 350…problematic.

I think every manufacturer has there issues. My 21 GLE 350 has 25,000 km’ s and it’s been to the dealership at least a dozen times.
1. Torn seats..
2. Jerky transmission..
3. Heated Steering wheel not working..
4. Wireless charging not working..
5. Embarrassing wipers that squeak and chudder.
6. Wind noises/whistling from side mirrors.
7. Rear hatch wouldn’t open.
8. Transmission stuck in 2nd gear, had to pull over and turn vehicle off to re-set.
9. Replaced the garbage Cooper tires after 25,000 km’s, was down to 3/32’s, less than 2 years of driving.
It’s been embarrassing to be honest. I’ve driven Benzes for over 25 years and l’ve never seen it this unreliable. Listen my SA has been wonderful and thank goodness I have the 4 year 80,000 km warranty but my goodness, these vehicles have become too complex. Oh well, it’s important to be honest, it’s been disappointing.
Old 06-22-2023, 07:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
Another thing Mikapen, the car was not due for A service. It’s still not due for A service as I know the purchase date. In fact, at the time of his service, the car’s maintenance minder wouldn’t have even lit up.
Old 06-22-2023, 10:47 AM

Gentlemen, the grass is NOT greener on the other side of the fence.
You can visit the BMW forum and see the previous and current generation X5 and current X7 is plagued with issues.
Old 06-22-2023, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 125 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
I have owned my 21 GLE53 since Aug./2020. I have had one headlight assembly fill with water and that's it. There have been a few recalls but they were done when I had it in for A or B service. It has been an excellent car. Hope the 24 GLE 53 will be as good.I have been buying MB cars since 1983 and my GLE has been one of the most reliable.

PS There have been some MB stinkers during those years, especially from the mid 90's to the mid 2000's. MB did not know if they were building Mercedes or Chryslers during that period of time. I think I may have had a few Chryslers with an MB badge
djgiovanni (06-22-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Another thing Mikapen, the car was not due for A service. It’s still not due for A service as I know the purchase date. In fact, at the time of his service, the car’s maintenance minder wouldn’t have even lit up.
​​​​​​Yes, we know the purchase date as well.
According to the Carfax you showed, the PDI was performed on 7/6/22. That's when the 12 month service, unless you specifically asked it to be reset when you took delivery, which would be prior to first registration, 7/20/22.

​​​​​That would make the A Service due 7/6/23, two weeks from now, or two months prior to schedule.
Leaving on a trip, or getting an appointment with a loaner is also a possibility. Maybe they had a problem, maybe not.

I usually get my services done early if I bought a used car. Baseline stuff.
Old 06-22-2023, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by mikapen
​​​​​​Yes, we know the purchase date as well.
According to the Carfax you showed, the PDI was performed on 7/6/22. That's when the 12 month service, unless you specifically asked it to be reset when you took delivery, which would be prior to first registration, 7/20/22.

​​​​​That would make the A Service due 7/6/23, two weeks from now, or two months prior to schedule.
Leaving on a trip, or getting an appointment with a loaner is also a possibility. Maybe they had a problem, maybe not.

I usually get my services done early if I bought a used car. Baseline stuff.
It is worth mentioning that, when you buy a CPO from Mercedes-Benz, the A/B service is carried out as part of the certification process. This is typically disclosed to the new buyer via paperwork as well as verbally. The Carfax report you sign during the negotiating process should also show a service was performed, albeit, not always detailed.
Old 06-22-2023, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by djgiovanni
It is worth mentioning that, when you buy a CPO from Mercedes-Benz, the A/B service is carried out as part of the certification process. This is typically disclosed to the new buyer via paperwork as well as verbally. The Carfax report you sign during the negotiating process should also show a service was performed, albeit, not always detailed.
It's a different inspection process, but if a Service or recall is due, it's performed. An April service for a July requirement is a little early IMO.

A Carfax report isn't required as part of the sales process, but most dealers offer it. When they do, they often want you to acknowledge receipt.
Old 06-22-2023, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
Something happened on 4/17 that logged a service. The car was being used as a loaner at that time as I was still able to track it on the app up until the day it sold. So, the dealer did something on that day, what, I don’t know. Was there a reported issue? Did they perform a recall?

Also, my car wasn’t listed as CPO in their ad, even though it only had 2k miles. Why? I have no idea, but I would periodically check on their website to see if it sold and they pulled the add and it was NOT listed under their CPO section or advertised as such.

Finally, the new owner scheduling and performing an A service with less than 5k miles more than two months before it’s due is highly unlikely. Whatever that service was was not part of the schedule.
Old 06-22-2023, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by mikapen
It's a different inspection process, but if a Service or recall is due, it's performed. An April service for a July requirement is a little early IMO.

A Carfax report isn't required as part of the sales process, but most dealers offer it. When they do, they often want you to acknowledge receipt.
Correct, but neither here or there.
The dealership will still inform you the service has been done. A Carfax report, whether provided to you or you purchasing it, will note a service has been performed.

I speak from experience when saying that as part of the certification process, MB will perform the upcoming service (A or B) regardless of millage (tires if not within the safe threshold, wipers if worn). It was done on a 2022 CPO GLE 350 I bought with 5100 miles (A service performed) and on my latest CPO Mercedes purchase at 15,344 miles (B service performed). Different dealerships by the way.

Bottom line, Wldta's GLE Coupe, if sold as a CPO (certified to have been thoroughly inspected, serviced and repaired as needed), had its upcoming A/B service done before it was offered for sale again (unless it failed certification and sold as a non CPO).

Last edited by djgiovanni; 06-22-2023 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-22-2023, 03:46 PM

Something happened on 4/17 that logged a service. The car was being used as a loaner at that time as I was still able to track it on the app up until the day it sold. So, the dealer did something on that day, what, I don’t know. Was there a reported issue? Did they perform a recall?

Also, my car wasn’t listed as CPO in their ad, even though it only had 2k miles. Why? I have no idea, but I would periodically check on their website to see if it sold and they pulled the add and it was NOT listed under their CPO section or advertised as such.

Finally, the new owner scheduling and performing an A service with less than 5k miles more than two months before it’s due is highly unlikely. Whatever that service was was not part of the schedule.
If not listed as a CPO (This is actually an excellent tool for the dealership to quickly move it) and you didn't sign and receive information on the additional 1 year/10k mile warranty (on top of the remainder factory bumper to bumper), then it was not a CPO. At 2k miles when you purchased it, if not certified, this would only mean it failed certification possibly due to issues (wrong bumper on an AMG would certainly contribute). I am not one to speculate but your GLE was most likely DOA and the first owner quickly dumped it.

A few bad apples are expected across all brands. This does NOT make the GLE a bad vehicle. I am on my 3rd V167 and really like it. As you may have seen on this forum, many are trading for a 2024. That says a lot.
Old 06-22-2023, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
I got it brand new. It was fresh off the proverbial boat and just arrived at the dealership. I dumped it with less than 2k miles on it because of numerous, unresolved issues.
Old 06-22-2023, 04:01 PM

I got it brand new. It was fresh off the proverbial boat and just arrived at the dealership. I dumped it with less than 2k miles on it because of numerous, unresolved issues.
I follow now. So sold as a non CPO to current owner. Not a good sign.
Old 06-22-2023, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by djgiovanni
Correct, but neither here or there.
The dealership will still inform you the service has been done. A Carfax report, whether provided to you or you purchasing it, will note a service has been performed.

I speak from experience when saying that as part of the certification process, MB will perform the upcoming service (A or B) regardless of millage (tires if not within the safe threshold, wipers if worn). It was done on a 2022 CPO GLE 350 I bought with 5100 miles (A service performed) and on my latest CPO Mercedes purchase at 15,344 miles (B service performed). Different dealerships by the way.

Bottom line, Wldta's GLE Coupe, if sold as a CPO (certified to have been thoroughly inspected, serviced and repaired as needed), had its upcoming A/B service done before it was offered for sale again (unless it failed certification and sold as a non CPO).
Maybe, maybe not. Not required or SOP - dealer's option.
Your guess is as good as anybody's. Maybe they returned for an option they ordered, or a flat tire. Maybe a windshield, or an engine fire.

Frenetic's, not Wildta's. And the service was noted prior to both sales.

Much ado about nothing. AKA another Red Herring from the usual.

Last edited by mikapen; 06-22-2023 at 08:47 PM.
PLINYELDER (06-22-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
The dealer voluntarily doing Service A on a car at 2,900 miles three months before it’s due out of their good graces is absolutely laughable. The owner bringing the car back a week after buying it to do Service A at 3,800 miles and two months before it is due is also laughable.

That’s really grasping at straws. The car was a certified POS.

I know you don’t want to believe that for whatever reason, but that’s fine, you can believe what you want to believe. The dealer wouldn’t even sell it CPO if that says anything. I watched them use it as a loaner for over 1k+ miles while it was on sale. That service at 2.9k initiated by the dealer themselves was something breaking if I had to guess.
Old 06-22-2023, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The dealer voluntarily doing Service A on a car at 2,900 miles three months before it’s due out of their good graces is absolutely laughable. The owner bringing the car back a week after buying it to do Service A at 3,800 miles and two months before it is due is also laughable.

That’s really grasping at straws. The car was a certified POS.

I know you don’t want to believe that for whatever reason, but that’s fine, you can believe what you want to believe. The dealer wouldn’t even sell it CPO if that says anything. I watched them use it as a loaner for over 1k+ miles while it was on sale. That service at 2.9k initiated by the dealer themselves was something breaking if I had to guess.
And you know all of this .... how?

Oh, you're not "following" but you are "watching." It's becoming more Creepy as your tale continues. Did you use the MB ME to track the new owner and stalk?

BTW it probably wasn't a Loaner, since in most States it would have to be registered.
The boss probably took it out as his Executive Demo.
The previous owner was pretty "laughable" as well, if you want to expand your derision circles.🙂 Give it up.
​​​​​​
PLINYELDER (06-22-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
I don’t know it. I used deductive reasoning.

I did periodically see where my car was on the app since it would automatically default to my GLE since it was the first car added to the app and they never removed me until it was sold. Just like receiving the unsolicited CarFax reports that I neither asked for or wanted. But, throw a newspaper on my yard and I’m going to read it.

I suspect it was a loaner. I saw it go to multiple different houses and it certainly wasn’t the bosses house or houses befitting a boss.

Last edited by Frenetic; 06-22-2023 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-22-2023, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It used to be <sigh>.
​​​​​​Now it's Yikes!!!
Old 06-23-2023, 10:09 AM

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts
2024 GLE 450, 2015 X5 35d, 2009 SLK 300
You are watching what houses your old car goes to? Checking the neighborhoods for what kind of people might live there. Kind of like tracking an ex-wife and seeing where she is going and who she may be meeting.

Stalking:
  • Following and Monitoring: When a person follows you from one place to another, that is stalking. It doesn't matter which places—it is stalking if someone follows you home from work, to a friend's house, or anywhere else. If someone monitors or tracks your movement and/or location, that is stalking.
Old 06-23-2023, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 S500
I wasn’t stalking anyone if you understood what that really means. I was following a car’s location because the dealer negligently failed to remove it from my profile. I neither knew or was aware of who was driving it.

Another great MB dealer failure when you trade in your car. That’s why I find it hard to believe they’ll graciously and proactively perform an A service at 2.9k miles three months before it’s due when they could care less about any trade in other than selling it.
Old 06-23-2023, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 646 Likes on 481 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by BlueYonder
You are watching what houses your old car goes to? Checking the neighborhoods for what kind of people might live there. Kind of like tracking an ex-wife and seeing where she is going and who she may be meeting.

Stalking:
  • Following and Monitoring: When a person follows you from one place to another, that is stalking. It doesn't matter which places—it is stalking if someone follows you home from work, to a friend's house, or anywhere else. If someone monitors or tracks your movement and/or location, that is stalking.
Stalking the car for sure. If I were in frenetics position with an extreme displeasure and experience with an old vehicle, I might also be interested (curious) in seeing where it went. Although if I knew it was a lemon, after trading it in, I'd post that lemon VIN all over the forums and Reddit hoping that any prospective buyers would Google the VIN and learn the true history of it before putting down some cold hard cash down.

Last edited by wildta; 06-23-2023 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-23-2023, 11:56 AM

Received 203 Likes on 163 Posts
2021 GLC 300 4Matic
Originally Posted by wildta
Stalking the car for sure. If I were in frenetics position with an extreme displeasure and experience with an old vehicle, I might also be interested in seeing where it went. Although if I knew it was a lemon, after trading it in, I'd post that lemon VIN all over the forums and Reddit hoping that any prospective buyers would Google the VIN and learn the true history of it.
This is where folks think they're reasoning for whatever issue justifies their actions. Eh , no issue with respecting and regarding the laws!
wildta (06-23-2023)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why did you choose GLE over X5 (or others)