GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Goodbye GLE (for now?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2023 | 02:07 PM

GLE350(V167) C300(W204)
Goodbye GLE (for now?)

So with the addition of another kid, we had to let the GLE go. We've been eyeing the Grand Highlander since its release but allocation has been tough, not to mention crazy pricing (yup they still exist). Found an allocation spreadsheet on reddit and was able to put a deposit on a dealer 300 miles away, and got it a week earlier than their ETA. Thought about the Hybrid but it's a more difficult allocation (expect 4-6 months, maybe more) and school is starting, so we settled with the gas version.

Overall driving impression is okay I guess, moving from an RWD-based rig to a FWD-based transverse engine layout, you expect a front-heavy driving characteristic. But we got this for the cargo space, which is cavernous! Engine is also a turbocharged 4 cylinder so not much difference, EXCEPT the transmission is buttery smooth! Unlike the 9G where it bucks and chugs when you "accidentally" jab the throttle, not to mention when coming to a stop in C mode where it bucks to 1st gear, this is Lexus-like smooth no matter how you handle the throttle. MB should just outsource their tranny, period. Going from 315 & 275 wide tires to 255 all around makes the tramlining non-existent. Suspension is also much smoother on bumps but it leans so much on cornering, as expected. Overall I think Toyota quality now is Lexus level 4-5 years ago, we have the Limited so it's got the leather vs. MBTex we had on our GLE and it's definitely much smoother.

The other major difference is that I can open up the panoramic roof with the cross bars in place! However the bars are fixed in place vs. moveable across the side rails like the GLE, and it's on the narrow side which doesn't fit my ski bindings. Interior wise is much more airy and open, you look at the side windows, the bottom part stays flat all the way to the third row, plus a huge C pillar window unlike the GLE that mimics a prison in the 3rd row. The Toyota app is crap, man I thought Mercedes Me was crap but this is way worse on another level. The only good thing is that you can choose which notification to show e.g. door locks, window open, etc. But the app is very unstable.

Anyway, I have the WeatherTech complete mat, front, 2nd row, 3rd row, and cargo, available for sale, I'm in the Seattle / eastside metro area if anyone is interested, or if you want to pay shipping that's fine too. I also have the Thule roof bars. Looks like the classified section is hardly ever viewed so thought I'd put a plug in here.

Fun fact: the GLE still has a longer wheelbase by an inch!
Old 08-28-2023 | 04:23 PM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by djer
So with the addition of another kid, we had to let the GLE go. We've been eyeing the Grand Highlander since its release but allocation has been tough, not to mention crazy pricing (yup they still exist). Found an allocation spreadsheet on reddit and was able to put a deposit on a dealer 300 miles away, and got it a week earlier than their ETA. Thought about the Hybrid but it's a more difficult allocation (expect 4-6 months, maybe more) and school is starting, so we settled with the gas version.

Overall driving impression is okay I guess, moving from an RWD-based rig to a FWD-based transverse engine layout, you expect a front-heavy driving characteristic. But we got this for the cargo space, which is cavernous! Engine is also a turbocharged 4 cylinder so not much difference, EXCEPT the transmission is buttery smooth! Unlike the 9G where it bucks and chugs when you "accidentally" jab the throttle, not to mention when coming to a stop in C mode where it bucks to 1st gear, this is Lexus-like smooth no matter how you handle the throttle. MB should just outsource their tranny, period. Going from 315 & 275 wide tires to 255 all around makes the tramlining non-existent. Suspension is also much smoother on bumps but it leans so much on cornering, as expected. Overall I think Toyota quality now is Lexus level 4-5 years ago, we have the Limited so it's got the leather vs. MBTex we had on our GLE and it's definitely much smoother.

The other major difference is that I can open up the panoramic roof with the cross bars in place! However the bars are fixed in place vs. moveable across the side rails like the GLE, and it's on the narrow side which doesn't fit my ski bindings. Interior wise is much more airy and open, you look at the side windows, the bottom part stays flat all the way to the third row, plus a huge C pillar window unlike the GLE that mimics a prison in the 3rd row. The Toyota app is crap, man I thought Mercedes Me was crap but this is way worse on another level. The only good thing is that you can choose which notification to show e.g. door locks, window open, etc. But the app is very unstable.

Anyway, I have the WeatherTech complete mat, front, 2nd row, 3rd row, and cargo, available for sale, I'm in the Seattle / eastside metro area if anyone is interested, or if you want to pay shipping that's fine too. I also have the Thule roof bars. Looks like the classified section is hardly ever viewed so thought I'd put a plug in here.

Congrats, enjoy the Toyota space and reliability. MB just doesn’t get it with transmissions, rather surprising for a 100+ year old manufacturer of automobiles.
Old 08-28-2023 | 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 Urus Performante - 2021 Ferrari Roma - 2017 Ferrari 488 GTB - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe
Congrats. Who ever designed the front end must have loved origami as a kid.
The following users liked this post:
MBArizona (08-30-2023)
Old 08-29-2023 | 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
Curious to hear your thoughts on the Grand Highlander vs some of the other mainstream larger midsize three rows, such as new Pilot, Pathfinder, and Pallisade/Telluride. I probably would have gone Pilot personally, but curious to hear what got you to the Toyota.
Old 08-30-2023 | 07:13 PM

GLE350(V167) C300(W204)
Originally Posted by BenjaminKohl
Curious to hear your thoughts on the Grand Highlander vs some of the other mainstream larger midsize three rows, such as new Pilot, Pathfinder, and Pallisade/Telluride. I probably would have gone Pilot personally, but curious to hear what got you to the Toyota.
The only contender we compared to is the new Pilot which we took an extended test drive and borrowed a friend's for the whole day. It drives more like an Odyssey than an Accord or a Civic which handles very well. For some reason, Hondas nailed it on their sedans in terms of handling, and Toyotas nailed it on their SUV's. The cool thing is the removable center seat on the 2nd row, which you can basically convert it to captain chairs so kids can go in and out to the third row. Cargo space behind third row is the same as the others, this is where the Grand Highlander shines and we really need that cargo space with 4 kids.

Not ready yet for the Telluride/Palisade as their dealer network still seems to be subpar in terms of customer service and overall employee / technician training. Also not really attracted to the Nissan brand as well, so we never did consider the Pathfinder.

The other oddball we considered was the Expedition regular (non Max) and it's too big for my wife to drive around, I have a really good relationship with our Ford dealer due to our company's fleet so we can take whatever Ford we want to test out. It didn't fit our garage 😆
Old 08-30-2023 | 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLE 580
The only contender we compared to is the new Pilot which we took an extended test drive and borrowed a friend's for the whole day. It drives more like an Odyssey than an Accord or a Civic which handles very well. For some reason, Hondas nailed it on their sedans in terms of handling, and Toyotas nailed it on their SUV's. The cool thing is the removable center seat on the 2nd row, which you can basically convert it to captain chairs so kids can go in and out to the third row. Cargo space behind third row is the same as the others, this is where the Grand Highlander shines and we really need that cargo space with 4 kids.

Not ready yet for the Telluride/Palisade as their dealer network still seems to be subpar in terms of customer service and overall employee / technician training. Also not really attracted to the Nissan brand as well, so we never did consider the Pathfinder.

The other oddball we considered was the Expedition regular (non Max) and it's too big for my wife to drive around, I have a really good relationship with our Ford dealer due to our company's fleet so we can take whatever Ford we want to test out. It didn't fit our garage 😆
What about the new Mazda cx90 and Acura MDX? Did you consider either one of those?
Old 09-01-2023 | 03:35 PM

GLE350(V167) C300(W204)
Originally Posted by wildta
What about the new Mazda cx90 and Acura MDX? Did you consider either one of those?
We quickly wrote them off due to same cargo capacity behind 3rd row, just like the GLE. But I'm sure the Mazda drives way nicer than all of them in that category.
Old 09-01-2023 | 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLE 580
We quickly wrote them off due to same cargo capacity behind 3rd row, just like the GLE. But I'm sure the Mazda drives way nicer than all of them in that category.
I didn't know the Highlander has that much additional space. Good to know.
Old 09-01-2023 | 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
I didn't know the Highlander has that much additional space. Good to know.
This is the Grand Highlander, which is even bigger than the regular Highlander.
Old 09-02-2023 | 07:11 AM

2024 GLE, 2022 GLC , 2022 GLC
Goodbye GLE

Something else you will eventually enjoy is the far better resale value of Toyota as compared to Mercedes.
chassis (09-02-2023)
Old 09-02-2023 | 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLE 580
Originally Posted by js_cls
This is the Grand Highlander, which is even bigger than the regular Highlander.
Thanks. I didn't know that existed.

The turning radius is less than a GLE! TGH is 204" length with 19' turning radius vs GLE 194" length and 19.7' turning radius.

Last edited by wildta; 09-02-2023 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-02-2023 | 12:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)

Thanks for sharing your experience OP. Hmmm economy cars have come a long way no doubt about that but I want to add if you like the Toyota you will be much more impressed with the Mazda CX 90. Granted, the Mazda might be more expensive though.

Glad to hear you found a vehicle that fits your needs. I do have to agree with the transmission on MBs, they are very not refined although there are good examples the majority I drove the transmission is very confused and tuning is generally bad.

Edit: Someone already mentioned Mazda CX 90, should had refreshed the webpage from yesterday.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 09-02-2023 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Sorry for the bad habit of not refreshing the page before replying
Old 09-02-2023 | 12:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

The build and quality of the Mazda is more upmarket so the pricing could be higher as a result. That said, reason being Mazda doesn't have a luxury brand so they put everything in. Toyota and Honda does in the form of Lexus and Acura respectively so they are more conservative so people can consider Lexus instead of "just simply" buying a Toyota. That said from what you described it, seems like it isn't as bad or conservative as I thought.
Old 09-09-2023 | 03:40 PM

GLE350(V167) C300(W204)
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
The build and quality of the Mazda is more upmarket so the pricing could be higher as a result. That said, reason being Mazda doesn't have a luxury brand so they put everything in. Toyota and Honda does in the form of Lexus and Acura respectively so they are more conservative so people can consider Lexus instead of "just simply" buying a Toyota. That said from what you described it, seems like it isn't as bad or conservative as I thought.
That is correct at least to my observation, and this is coming from previously owning a 2014 Highlander, and having been in Lexus' from 1999 model year to 2021, and also owning MB's. However, join a Facebook Grand Highlander group and you'll see two camps on this. I sat in the last iteration of CX9's before they became CX90 and it was luxurious, but then again space wise is tight already but man they drive really nice! The Lexus TX has just been released so there are people who are fed up with waiting on the Grand Highlander and go straight to TX, not knowing that they'll have to go through another round of supply and demand pricing game again 😆.

The turning radius is less than a GLE! TGH is 204" length with 19' turning radius vs GLE 194" length and 19.7' turning radius.
Yeah I'm surprised by this too as typically MB's are well known to have tight turning radius. The GLE still has a longer wheelbase though (by an inch).
Old 09-09-2023 | 06:15 PM

2024 GLE 53 2023 GLA 252021 S580 2023 MB GLA 250, previous 2015 Porsche Turbo S 2014 Cayenne Diesel
Well if the GLE had rear wheel steering like the 2024 Cayenne or the S580 the turning radius would be much better. My 21Y
S580 had a good turning radius for a big sedan.
chassis (09-09-2023)
Old 09-10-2023 | 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLE 580
Originally Posted by mbsl550.19
Well if the GLE had rear wheel steering like the 2024 Cayenne or the S580 the turning radius would be much better. My 21Y
S580 had a good turning radius for a big sedan.
I'm guessing they will add it in the refresh like the new E sedan.
Old 09-10-2023 | 08:24 AM
Out Of Control!!

That is correct at least to my observation, and this is coming from previously owning a 2014 Highlander, and having been in Lexus' from 1999 model year to 2021, and also owning MB's. However, join a Facebook Grand Highlander group and you'll see two camps on this. I sat in the last iteration of CX9's before they became CX90 and it was luxurious, but then again space wise is tight already but man they drive really nice! The Lexus TX has just been released so there are people who are fed up with waiting on the Grand Highlander and go straight to TX, not knowing that they'll have to go through another round of supply and demand pricing game again 😆.

Yeah I'm surprised by this too as typically MB's are well known to have tight turning radius. The GLE still has a longer wheelbase though (by an inch).
I was honestly surprised that they put a newly developed inline-6 in the CX90 when everyone like literally everyone is downsizing, that caught my attention. Anyways, enjoy your new vehicle.
Old 09-11-2023 | 02:40 PM

GLE350(V167) C300(W204)
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
I was honestly surprised that they put a newly developed inline-6 in the CX90 when everyone like literally everyone is downsizing, that caught my attention. Anyways, enjoy your new vehicle.
That's right! I think only that and the Pilot uses a 6-cyl engine while everyone is doing to turbo four pot on their SUV's.
Old 09-11-2023 | 09:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

That's right! I think only that and the Pilot uses a 6-cyl engine while everyone is doing to turbo four pot on their SUV's.
I did find Mazda pretty interesting after another forum member shared these two videos a few weeks ago while they were deciding between a GLS (?) I think it was.
Old 09-18-2023 | 03:17 AM

GLE350(V167) C300(W204)
Just dawned on me how quiet it is in the Grand Highlander. No mirror whistling or roof rack cross bars wind noise. Also the front windows are acoustic glass as standard and I didn't have it on my GLE since it was optional. The kick tailgate is also more consistent and reliable.
chassis (09-18-2023)
Old 09-18-2023 | 03:53 PM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
^^ Toyotas are far better cars than MBs when all factors are taken into account. There can be no debate about this.

The main reasons people buy MBs are for cosmetic/appearance, unique features (not many left) only MB offers, and to project an image/be seen. Any other stated reason can be boiled down to these buckets.
Old 09-18-2023 | 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by chassis
^^ Toyotas are far better cars than MBs when all factors are taken into account. There can be no debate about this.

The main reasons people buy MBs are for cosmetic/appearance, unique features (not many left) only MB offers, and to project an image/be seen. Any other stated reason can be boiled down to these buckets.
There are a lot more buckets than you envision.

I finally sold my Land Cruiser because the ML was better off road.
And it tows better.

Now I have a sportier Mercedes, and I can't think of anything a Toyota does better.

Except maybe (probably) a GR86, but I haven't been on track with one of those.
Or carry dogs.

Everybody has different needs and preferences.

Last edited by mikapen; 09-18-2023 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-15-2023 | 08:52 PM

GLE350(V167) C300(W204)
Just in case anyone's interested, I'm crossposting the link on my WeatherTech here: https://mbworld.org/forums/market/877998

Also spent 3k miles on the Grand Highlander already, so far so good. Here's as it sits, quasi 4-Runner winter mode:

chassis (11-15-2023)