GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Do you scrutinize service invoices?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2023, 08:50 AM

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts
2021 GLE450
Do you scrutinize service invoices?

As some of you know, I've had a number of ongoing issues with my GLE 450 - the largest being woefully bad transmission behavior that continues to worsen. Frustrated with my dealership's inability to correct or even detect problems, I tried another dealership last week when my B1 service was due. I was surprised to learn that the dealership padded my invoice with unnecessary fuel and oil treatments that are not recommended by MB, and they certainly were not authorized by me. These charges were applied in such a way that they appear to be normal required procedures. They also charged me considerably more than my regular dealership for the oil, filter and other parts, plus a valet fee I wasn't informed about in advance and a shop service charge to cover their "misc costs". When confronted about the charges, the dealership seemed surprised that I was upset - claiming they recommend the treatments due to "local environmental factors". Clearly they aren't used to being questioned by their Mercedes customers. So I ask ... if you were charged $900 for your B1 service (less than 11k miles on the odo, no tire rotation), would you simply pay the bill, or would you scrutinize/question the charges? If you saw a charge you couldn't identify, would you speak up?
Old 09-11-2023, 09:24 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,866 Likes on 3,041 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by HotRodW
As some of you know, I've had a number of ongoing issues with my GLE 450 - the largest being woefully bad transmission behavior that continues to worsen. Frustrated with my dealership's inability to correct or even detect problems, I tried another dealership last week when my B1 service was due. I was surprised to learn that the dealership padded my invoice with unnecessary fuel and oil treatments that are not recommended by MB, and they certainly were not authorized by me. These charges were applied in such a way that they appear to be normal required procedures. They also charged me considerably more than my regular dealership for the oil, filter and other parts, plus a valet fee I wasn't informed about in advance and a shop service charge to cover their "misc costs". When confronted about the charges, the dealership seemed surprised that I was upset - claiming they recommend the treatments due to "local environmental factors". Clearly they aren't used to being questioned by their Mercedes customers. So I ask ... if you were charged $900 for your B1 service (less than 11k miles on the odo, no tire rotation), would you simply pay the bill, or would you scrutinize/question the charges? If you saw a charge you couldn't identify, would you speak up?
More support for the moniker “scummy” dealers.
The following 2 users liked this post by chassis:
HotRodW (09-11-2023), Lucky 777 (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 11:26 AM

Received 175 Likes on 122 Posts
2024 GLE 450, 2015 X5 35d, 2009 SLK 300
My service guy always discusses with me what they plan on doing and I authorize it before the work is done. I doubt that those oil and fuel additives have a MB logo on them and are not approved for use. Was this dealership part of a large group like Mile One or AutoNation? Those large dealer groups pull this crap on all of their brands from Ford to Hyundai. If all you asked for was service B have them show you where that oil treatment is required.

I bought the prepaid service on my new GLE 450. I bet I don't get any of that crap added.
Old 09-11-2023, 12:02 PM

2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by BlueYonder
My service guy always discusses with me what they plan on doing and I authorize it before the work is done. I doubt that those oil and fuel additives have a MB logo on them and are not approved for use. Was this dealership part of a large group like Mile One or AutoNation? Those large dealer groups pull this crap on all of their brands from Ford to Hyundai. If all you asked for was service B have them show you where that oil treatment is required.

I bought the prepaid service on my new GLE 450. I bet I don't get any of that crap added.
It's Betten Imports in Grand Rapids. They admitted the treatments aren't recommended by MB. The additives are:

Fast Clean ($38.50)
Pro1 Oil ($22.00)
Ethanol Protection ($37.00)

When I demanded an explanation, they referred to the treatments as "fuel system, carbon inhibitor and oil consumption service". They justified them by saying the services are performed specifically because we're located in a "climate changing zone". It's all BS, of course, and I told them so. At minimum they should have tried to upsell the treatments rather than just stick them on the bill. The shop service charge was $15, and the valet service fee was $20. I know they have a right to set their own parts prices, but the oil and filters were priced considerably higher than what I paid at the selling dealership.
Old 09-11-2023, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,170 Likes on 841 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
My dealer also pulled the additive scam last year - Premium Engine Treatment, Multi-Clean Max & Fuel System Flush, to the tune of $54.51. This year I was clear not to do any of that.
The following 2 users liked this post by GregW / Oregon:
HotRodW (09-11-2023), Ron.s (09-13-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 02:01 PM

Ask the dealer to show you where any of that crap is authorized by Mercedes Benz.

https://operatingfluids.mercedes-benz.com
The following users liked this post:
HotRodW (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 02:37 PM

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
GLE350(V167) C300(W204)
Typically when you check in and shown the estimates, they show you the exact line items and I go through them like a hawk. Then I cross out the ones I don't want, have them reprint the quote, and then I sign it and told them unless you found that the brakes are less than 3mm (which I actually already knew beforehand that it was / wasn't) or there's a leak that they can show me before they wipe it down, don't bother calling me in between the service. AutoNation are known to do this with BG products, but I have good rapport with the local AutoNation Ford so they ask first before they add those additives.

There was one time where they took my key and then told me to wait in the lounge area, I refused and waited until they can properly checked me in and show me the work they're going to do.
The following 2 users liked this post by djer:
HotRodW (09-11-2023), mikapen (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 04:41 PM

2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by djer
Typically when you check in and shown the estimates, they show you the exact line items and I go through them like a hawk. Then I cross out the ones I don't want, have them reprint the quote, and then I sign it and told them unless you found that the brakes are less than 3mm (which I actually already knew beforehand that it was / wasn't) or there's a leak that they can show me before they wipe it down, don't bother calling me in between the service. AutoNation are known to do this with BG products, but I have good rapport with the local AutoNation Ford so they ask first before they add those additives.

There was one time where they took my key and then told me to wait in the lounge area, I refused and waited until they can properly checked me in and show me the work they're going to do.
And that's where I screwed up. I was in the middle of something when the valet arrived, so I didn't read the service request thoroughly - just the highlights. I saw the BLIS diagnostic request, transmission diagnostic request, and B service, then I signed. I wasn't expecting the dealership to have their own definition of B service. Ultimately, that's the only reason I didn't demand a refund. Assuming the work order did indeed list the extras in the fine print (I wasn't given a copy), it was technically my fault, even if it was slimy. The best I could do is voice my displeasure and promise never to return for service or sales. I'm fairly certain they don't care. Well, they don't care as long as I'm not chosen by MB to submit a survey on my experience.
Old 09-11-2023, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 559 Likes on 414 Posts
MB
And that's where I screwed up. I was in the middle of something when the valet arrived, so I didn't read the service request thoroughly - just the highlights. I saw the BLIS diagnostic request, transmission diagnostic request, and B service, then I signed. I wasn't expecting the dealership to have their own definition of B service. Ultimately, that's the only reason I didn't demand a refund. Assuming the work order did indeed list the extras in the fine print (I wasn't given a copy), it was technically my fault, even if it was slimy. The best I could do is voice my displeasure and promise never to return for service or sales. I'm fairly certain they don't care. Well, they don't care as long as I'm not chosen by MB to submit a survey on my experience.
Definitely write a review on both Yelp and Google of your experience to warn others.
mm9351 (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 08:50 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
2020 GLE450 polar white AMG pkg.
The local MB dealers in my area are quoting $500 for a basic service A. They claim that they are ‘so busy’ there is no need to discount oil changes and basic service. In my opinion the inflated prices help justify demand for the prepaid service plans they constantly push, eg 2 or 3 years prepaid maintenance. I’m disappointed that Mercedes is subjecting to price gouging in the service department, after paying a premium price for the vehicles in the first place. Add to this the $150 annual subscription fees for the Mercedes ME app, at a time when Tesla is reducing prices on their premium cars. And Tesla requires virtually $0 maintenance. Not a good strategy demonstrated by MBUSA, in my opinion.

Last edited by mm9351; 09-11-2023 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-11-2023, 10:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,866 Likes on 3,041 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
$500 for an oil change at an MB dealer in the largest metro area in the world during a strong economy is the going rate. No gouging, just is what it is. Your options are an indy shop or DIY.

"Mercedes" doesn't set service prices, dealers do. Dealers are privately owned enterprises, and are unfortunately for all suffering from a widespread pandemic of moral bankruptcy.
Sunbeltgolfer11 (09-15-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,548 Likes on 1,137 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by chassis
$500 for an oil change at an MB dealer in the largest metro area in the world during a strong economy is the going rate. No gouging, just is what it is. Your options are an indy shop or DIY.

"Mercedes" doesn't set service prices, dealers do. Dealers are privately owned enterprises, and are unfortunately for all suffering from a widespread pandemic of moral bankruptcy.
I'm sorry that you have so many problems in Service Departments.

I have received stellar service from my Mercedes dealer, and they have saved me money on several occasions.

Lack of trained tech, labor shortages and the recent move towards Quiet Quitting, affects every service industry.

If you look at it closely, shop labor rates haven't kept pace with inflation for the last decade, even though they seem high now. You know, $20 chickens and all?

Last edited by mikapen; 09-12-2023 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-13-2023, 08:24 AM

Received 150 Likes on 90 Posts
2021 GLE , 2022 GLC , 2022 GLC
A Ana B service charges

First of all $900 is not unheard of for a B service. Some dealers in the NY metro area are charging hundreds more and are not giving you anything extra, even if you don’t really need it. Secondly, you are always given something to sign giving the dealer more of an opportunity to oversell you service items that are not recommended by MB and giving you little recourse to challenge the charges. I always ask for the required items individually, not as a complete service. A or B. I will ask for an express oil change, or get a quote on replacing the brake fluid. I am not embarrassed letting the service manager know I am cost conscious and will not pay $300 or much more for a basic oil change. One of the most undesirable aspects of owning a MB is having it serviced. Prepaid service contracts are way too expensive, and should only be purchased on a leased vehicle. If you are buying your vehicle and the dealer is “throwing in” the service contract, you can rest assured that you are paying too much for the car. We have 3 MBs and I am the one stuck with the responsibility for maintaining the entire “fleet “.
Old 09-13-2023, 08:34 AM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
2020 A220 2023 E450 Cabriolet
I guess I am really lucky but I have never had any of the three dealers we have used for service attempt this kind of addons to service. I have never had a single attempt to charge me for something I did not ask for. This is over 16 cars!
Our current dealer picks up the car, leaves a loaner, delivers the car and picks up the loaner all at my house. The only charge is for the gas used on the loaner.

Old 09-13-2023, 05:17 PM

The dealer in Ft Myers tried to pull that crap on me with my last car. Oil additives and fuel cleaners. Some sort of transmission treatment. None approved by Mercedes Benz. When I bought my most recent Mercedes, I didn’t even bother to check their dealership.
Old 09-13-2023, 10:01 PM

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts
2021 GLE 450
I prefer to avoid dealerships and instead rely on well-documented DIY guides. I purchase OEM parts from the dealer.
chassis (09-13-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 01:24 PM

Received 192 Likes on 120 Posts
2021 AMG GLE53 | 2013 SLK350 Sport
Originally Posted by sgawiser
I guess I am really lucky but I have never had any of the three dealers we have used for service attempt this kind of addons to service. I have never had a single attempt to charge me for something I did not ask for. This is over 16 cars!
Our current dealer picks up the car, leaves a loaner, delivers the car and picks up the loaner all at my house. The only charge is for the gas used on the loaner.
If you are referring to the dealership in Fort Pierce, this is correct. I also have the valet pick up/drop off since it is a 1 hour drive for me.
Old 09-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,935 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Sorry to hear about the challenges, as you experienced not all MB dealerships are created equal as they are all privately owned, it is never a bad idea to look at the invoice before picking up the car though.