GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

ILS+ coding (pre-facelift): Are all Euro features enabled? Who did your programming?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 611 Likes on 451 Posts
MB
ILS+ coding (pre-facelift): Are all Euro features enabled? Who did your programming?

I had my headlights coded by RJ and I can confirm that I have the following Euro features which are pulled straight from the UK (manual linked here for reference, includes images which help explain these functions below):
  1. Active headlamps: The headlamps follow the steering movements. Relevant areas are better illuminated during a journey. The functions are active when the low beam is switched on. NO
  2. Cornering light: The cornering light improves the illumination of the carriageway over a wide angle in the turning direction, enabling better visibility on tight bends, for example. It can be activated only when the low beam is switched on. The function is active under the following conditions: At speeds below 40 km/h when the turn signal light is switched on or the steering wheel is turned; At speeds between 40 km/h and 70 km/h when the steering wheel is turned. NO
  3. Roundabout and junction function: the cornering light will be activated on both sides based on an evaluation of the vehicle's current GPS position. It will remain active until after the vehicle has left the roundabout or the junction. NO
  4. Highway or motorway mode: Motorway mode increases the range and brightness of the cone of light, enabling better visibility. The function will be active if a motorway journey is detected by means of: the vehicle's speed; the multifunction camera; the GPS; The function will not be active at speeds below 80 km/h. UNSURE
  5. Off-road Lighting: The off-road light improves illumination during off-road driving. The low beam is distributed symmetrically and across a wide angle, and brightness is increased slightly. This makes it easier to find your way when driving off-road and to detect obstacles at an early stage. The active headlamps are deactivated during this time so that steering movements do not change the illumination.
    The function is active when the low beam is switched on if you are not driving at a speed greater than 50 km/h and theF(Offroad) orG(Offroad Plus) drive program has been selected. UNSURE
  6. Enhanced fog light function: The enhanced fog light function reduces self-dazzling and improves the illumination of the edge of the carriageway. The function is automatically activated under the following conditions: At speeds below 70 km/h and when the rear fog light is switched on. YES
  7. Adaptive high beam assist: automatically switches between the following types of light: Low beam and high beam. At speeds greater than 30 km/h: If no other road users are detected, the high beam will switch on automatically. The high beam will switch off automatically in the following cases: At speeds below 25 km/h; If other road users are detected; If street lighting is sufficient. At speeds greater than approximately 50 km/h: The headlamp range of the low beam is regulated automatically based on the distance to other road users. The system's optical sensor is located behind the windscreen near the overhead control panel. STANDARD FOR US SAE MULTIBEAM so not applicable
  8. Adaptive highbeam assist plus: Like above but more advanced: Partial high beam uses the high beam to shine past other road users rather than dazzling them. The vehicle in front will be illuminated by the low beam. YES
I also read that EURO spec could be brighter by up to 13% vs SAE spec (see page 40): https://newsroom.aaa.com/wp-content/...SHeadlamps.pdf

Can others who have had their ILS+ coding confirm if other features have been enabled and who did you coding (RJ, Elebest - Max, BenzNinja, or other)? Particularly 1-3 listed above and the 13% increased brightness. Does anyone know if our US multibeam LED option code 640 is capable of 1-3 listed above and the 13% increase in brightness? Elebest thinks all the features listed above should activate and he hasn't had any complaints. I asked RJ about these additional features and he said it could cause flickering so he doesn't program it but he said he will if I want to try.

Last edited by wildta; 02-06-2024 at 12:31 PM. Reason: For additional clarity
The following 4 users liked this post by wildta:
ACC2 (02-27-2024), coldblood (05-18-2024), EndenDragon (02-06-2024), wyatt88 (02-17-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 10:26 PM

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts
2023 GLE63S - Edition 55
Originally Posted by wildta
I had my headlights coded by RJ and I can confirm that I have the following Euro features which are pulled straight from the UK manual:
  1. Active headlamps: The headlamps follow the steering movements. Relevant areas are better illuminated during a journey. The functions are active when the low beam is switched on. NO
  2. Cornering light: The cornering light improves the illumination of the carriageway over a wide angle in the turning direction, enabling better visibility on tight bends, for example. It can be activated only when the low beam is switched on. The function is active under the following conditions: At speeds below 40 km/h when the turn signal light is switched on or the steering wheel is turned; At speeds between 40 km/h and 70 km/h when the steering wheel is turned. NO
  3. Roundabout and junction function: the cornering light will be activated on both sides based on an evaluation of the vehicle's current GPS position. It will remain active until after the vehicle has left the roundabout or the junction. NO
  4. Highway or motorway mode: Motorway mode increases the range and brightness of the cone of light, enabling better visibility. The function will be active if a motorway journey is detected by means of: the vehicle's speed; the multifunction camera; the GPS; The function will not be active at speeds below 80 km/h. UNSURE
  5. Off-road Lighting: The off-road light improves illumination during off-road driving. The low beam is distributed symmetrically and across a wide angle, and brightness is increased slightly. This makes it easier to find your way when driving off-road and to detect obstacles at an early stage. The active headlamps are deactivated during this time so that steering movements do not change the illumination.
    The function is active when the low beam is switched on if you are not driving at a speed greater than 50 km/h and theF(Offroad) orG(Offroad Plus) drive program has been selected. UNSURE
  6. Enhanced fog light function: The enhanced fog light function reduces self-dazzling and improves the illumination of the edge of the carriageway. The function is automatically activated under the following conditions: At speeds below 70 km/h and when the rear fog light is switched on. YES
  7. Adaptive high beam assist: automatically switches between the following types of light: Low beam and high beam. At speeds greater than 30 km/h: If no other road users are detected, the high beam will switch on automatically. The high beam will switch off automatically in the following cases: At speeds below 25 km/h; If other road users are detected; If street lighting is sufficient. At speeds greater than approximately 50 km/h: The headlamp range of the low beam is regulated automatically based on the distance to other road users. The system's optical sensor is located behind the windscreen near the overhead control panel. STANDARD FOR US SAE MULTIBEAM so not applicable
  8. Adaptive highbeam assist plus: Like above but more advanced: Partial high beam uses the high beam to shine past other road users rather than dazzling them. The vehicle in front will be illuminated by the low beam. YES
I also read that EURO spec could be brighter by up to 13% vs SAE spec (see page 40): https://newsroom.aaa.com/wp-content/...SHeadlamps.pdf

Can others who have had their ILS+ coding confirm if other features have been enabled and who did you coding (RJ, Elebest - Max, BenzNinja, or other)? Particularly 1-3 listed above and the 13% increased brightness. Does anyone know if our US multibeam LED option code 640 is capable of 1-3 listed above and the 13% increase in brightness? Elebest thinks all the features listed above should activate and he hasn't had any complaints. I asked RJ about these additional features and he said it could cause flickering so he doesn't program it but he said he will if I want to try.
I had RJ do the coding and I agree 1-3 is totally false for my installation. 4-5, can't really tell. Overall there is an improvement, the high beams stay on most of the time when driving in dark areas but not sure it's as good as the actual euro spec option.
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (02-06-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 06:41 AM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 GLE 450​
I had RJ code my lights too and I can agree with everything OP claimed for my 2024 GLE 450.
I think cornering lights one is a topic that has been brought up before and it's unfortunately not possible to be implemented with just coding in USA. It's because the turn signal indicator is in place instead of a cornering light module.
https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ing-light.html
I linked the relevant thread, but feel free to throw your thoughts since I'm not completely sure myself and guessed the reason why cornering lights is disabled.

Otherwise I enjoy the occasion high beams being enabled as I am driving. It would black out the oncoming vehicles and I think it's pretty cool.

Last edited by EndenDragon; 02-06-2024 at 07:09 AM.
wildta (02-06-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 07:08 AM

2024 GLE 450​
Summoning @BenzNinja @rjautomotive @EleBest if they each could provide us with a clear answer regarding to what is offered in their respective ILS+ upgrades, and if features 1-3 described in the above original post can be activated or not in the USA. Every one of these master coders has linked to a complete Mercedes video demonstration on these light functionalities on their website or forum posts, however with some features not available as stated in the original post, I'd want to take a step back and really would like to understand what really is enabled. Also please including any limitations, such as flickering lights that was mentioned above too, if known. Thanks in advance!
wildta (02-06-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 07:38 AM

Received 184 Likes on 138 Posts
2022 GLE 450
I also had my ILS+ coded by RJA, and agree with everything listed by OP. I would add one more item - Some road signs are highly reflective; as a result, ILS+ will dim the amount of light being placed on those signs; thereby, reducing the glare.

As for "adaptive hadlights" and "cornering lights", I believe that we established, some time ago, that the US version doesn't have the same hardware as EU. Therefore, no amount of coding will add those functions. I would be curiious to see what RJA could do to improve the existing ILS+.

Last edited by TonyF61; 02-06-2024 at 07:42 AM.
mikapen (02-16-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by TonyF61
I also had my ILS+ coded by RJA, and agree with everything listed by OP. I would add one more item - Some road signs are highly reflective; as a result, ILS+ will dim the amount of light being placed on those signs; thereby, reducing the glare.
I have tried to notice whether signs are dimmed with my ILS+ programming but I haven't noticed any difference; the dazzling prevention towards other drivers on the road is very apparent and is amazing, especially in dark, windy mountain roads. The brighter reflections off of the reflective road signs from high beams have never bothered me in the past with traditional high beams so maybe that's why I haven't noticed any change in that area. I also didn't read about any sign dimming in the UK manual but I believe I saw this feature in a video.

Last edited by wildta; 02-06-2024 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-06-2024, 11:18 AM

2022 GLE 450
Originally Posted by wildta
I have tried to notice whether signs are dimmed with my ILS+ programming but I haven't noticed any difference; the dazzling prevention towards other drivers on the road is very apparent and is amazing, especially in dark, windy mountain roads. The brighter reflections off of the reflective road signs from high beams have never bothered me in the past with traditional high beams so maybe that's why I haven't noticed any change in that area. I also didn't read about any sign dimming in the UK manual but I believe I saw this feature in a video.
It should be very obvious. Unfortunatly, due to an OTA update last week, I lost that function. I'll look back on past dash-cam recordings to see if I have an example for you.
wildta (02-06-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 02:22 PM

2022 GLE 450
Ok, @wildta , I found one. Although it is a bit more difficult to see due to the graininess of the Dash-cam at night. You also get the optical illusion of flickering, as you do with brake lights when sitting behind a stopped vehicle. I can't seem to upload the video; however, if you would like to PM me with your email address (I know, this sounds like a scam), then I will send you the file. Otherwise, see below for the before and after screen shots. Hopefully, you can see the road sign in the distance illuminated, while dimmed as I approach it. I know I did a poor job on this, so I apologize in advance.

wildta (02-21-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,587 Likes on 1,167 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Ok, @wildta , I found one. Although it is a bit more difficult to see due to the graininess of the Dash-cam at night. You also get the optical illusion of flickering, as you do with brake lights when sitting behind a stopped vehicle. I can't seem to upload the video; however, if you would like to PM me with your email address (I know, this sounds like a scam), then I will send you the file. Otherwise, see below for the before and after screen shots. Hopefully, you can see the road sign in the distance illuminated, while dimmed as I approach it. I know I did a poor job on this, so I apologize in advance.

Great effort!

(RJ coding) regarding the signs, it almost seems to me that when it sees signs far ahead, past the car in front, it looks like it's 'reaching out' (brighter) to highlight those signs, until they get closer, when the extra brightness is.... less bright.

I think your photos show that.
TonyF61 (02-06-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 01:13 PM
SPONSOR

Received 88 Likes on 36 Posts
AMG C63 2019 AMG C43 2024 RS7 2016
There is a common misconception that all the features that are listed are all "euro features". The Active headlamps are actually not disabled in most US cars, however this function is hard to see it active. I struggle to see it working in my own car in the UK sometimes.

The only main differences between US spec and EU Spec is the brightness, ILS+ (Adaptive high beam assist plus) & the cornering light (hardware difference)

Cornering light and roundabout & junction function is not really possible on US headlamps as you ahve an orange sidemarker light, where in europe we have our cornering lamp here. Now this can be enabled on some cars depending on harware, but the orange sidemarker light will not function which i believe is illegal in some US states.

Also making the lights brighter is possible however like mentioned before it can cause flickering & this brightness is illegal in some US states.

Just to confirm our product is activating the below:
Adaptive high beam assist plus
Enhanced fog light
Motorway light

Also To be fair we are advertising ILS+ activation on our product which is another name for adaptive high beam assist plus, we are not advertising that we are activating the other features.

We can try activate the other features free of charge on request but please note they may not work as intended, hence why we activate what we know will 100% work properly.
The following 5 users liked this post by rjautomotive:
clunker (02-20-2024), EndenDragon (02-08-2024), mikapen (02-09-2024), TonyF61 (02-08-2024), wildta (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 01:28 PM

2022 GLE 450
It should be very obvious. Unfortunatly, due to an OTA update last week, I lost that function. I'll look back on past dash-cam recordings to see if I have an example for you.
Originally Posted by rjautomotive
There is a common misconception that all the features that are listed are all "euro features". The Active headlamps are actually not disabled in most US cars, however this function is hard to see it active. I struggle to see it working in my own car in the UK sometimes.

The only main differences between US spec and EU Spec is the brightness, ILS+ (Adaptive high beam assist plus) & the cornering light (hardware difference)

Cornering light and roundabout & junction function is not really possible on US headlamps as you ahve an orange sidemarker light, where in europe we have our cornering lamp here. Now this can be enabled on some cars depending on harware, but the orange sidemarker light will not function which i believe is illegal in some US states.

Also making the lights brighter is possible however like mentioned before it can cause flickering & this brightness is illegal in some US states.

Just to confirm our product is activating the below:
Adaptive high beam assist plus
Enhanced fog light
Motorway light

Also To be fair we are advertising ILS+ activation on our product which is another name for adaptive high beam assist plus, we are not advertising that we are activating the other features.

We can try activate the other features free of charge on request but please note they may not work as intended, hence why we activate what we know will 100% work properly.
Thanks for the clarification. RJA coded my lights back in July 2022. I received an OTA update a few weeks ago, which removed ILS+ from MBUX menu. High beam assist still seems to work; I'm not sure about the rest. Is there a cost for recoding?
Old 02-08-2024, 02:03 PM
SPONSOR

We recode this function free for life so theres no charge. But the OTA update only wipes out the menu to turn it on and off, it will still work and be fully 100% functional, just the ability to turn it on and off is gone
The following 8 users liked this post by rjautomotive:
ACC2 (02-27-2024), chrislk55 (02-08-2024), EndenDragon (02-08-2024), jaxslk (02-08-2024), Keith66 (02-21-2024), mikapen (02-09-2024), TonyF61 (02-09-2024), wildta (02-08-2024) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-08-2024, 03:37 PM

2022 GLE 450
We recode this function free for life so theres no charge. But the OTA update only wipes out the menu to turn it on and off, it will still work and be fully 100% functional, just the ability to turn it on and off is gone
Excellent!! Thanks for the update.
Old 02-17-2024, 11:56 AM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
2018 E400 Wagon, P3, Cavansite Blue Metallic, Designo Interior
I had RJ Automotive code the headlights on my E300 Sedan and my E400 Wagon. I cannot be more pleased with the results!
Keith66 (02-21-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,173 Likes on 844 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Coding headlights

Too bad there aren't self code options like with BMW. I coded my '23 M2's headlights using Bimmercode and a Bluetooth OBD adapter.
Old 02-19-2024, 01:33 PM
SPONSOR

Received 798 Likes on 617 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
Too bad there aren't self code options like with BMW. I coded my '23 M2's headlights using Bimmercode and a Bluetooth OBD adapter.

and free Beluga caviar
Old 02-20-2024, 11:12 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2024 MB GLS450
Talking

Hello RJ, I will soon be getting a 2024 GLE450e, in addition to the unlock of the headlight functions, can you also add flashing brake light and turn signals, and all those little EU functions? And also the MAX top speed limiter? Thanks.
Old 02-20-2024, 12:37 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by 450Benz123
Hello RJ, I will soon be getting a 2024 GLE450e, in addition to the unlock of the headlight functions, can you also add flashing brake light and turn signals, and all those little EU functions? And also the MAX top speed limiter? Thanks.
Please contact us on whatsapp message wa.me/+447979464593 or support@rjautomotive.net and we will be glad to help
Old 02-21-2024, 01:32 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
We will be releasing something like this in around 3-6 months. It will be available to previous customers too, for example if their coding gets wiped by an update.

The following 9 users liked this post by rjautomotive:
beechcamp (02-21-2024), elbekko (02-22-2024), EndenDragon (02-21-2024), GregW / Oregon (02-21-2024), jaxslk (02-21-2024), Keith66 (02-21-2024), mikapen (02-21-2024), TonyF61 (02-22-2024), wildta (02-21-2024) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-21-2024, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 530 Posts
2018 AMG E43
RJA enabled ILS+ on my W213 and I highly recommend them. The process was super simple with an excellent price. No issues or drama at all.

If character and transparency is important to you, all of the communications I've seen from RJA both publicly and privately have been respectful and honest without arrogance. Their reviews are on an independent platform (TrustPilot). They have clear publicly available pricing. Their business license and physical address is on their website. You are dealing with a traditional verifiable business with RJA and it shows by their business appropriate behavior on these forums.

RJA is not the only option out there, but these are the reasons I chose them and I ended up being very happy with my choice.

Additionally, as a MBWorld sponsor, they respectfully don't continually spam the forums as if we are all just dollar signs which is greatly appreciated.

The following 3 users liked this post by Keith66:
elbekko (02-22-2024), rjautomotive (02-21-2024), TonyF61 (02-22-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by 450Benz123
Flashing brake light would be a great option; I'd add that for the additional safety from getting rear ended. Hoping RJ can do that now. He didn't when I had my programming performed by him.
Old 02-21-2024, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
We will be releasing something like this in around 3-6 months. It will be available to previous customers too, for example if their coding gets wiped by an update.
Outstanding. Thanks for the update RJ!
Old 03-01-2024, 09:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2024 GLC 300 4matic
What about projections? Will RJ's or Max's coding enable projections like the Stop sign warning, construction warning, lane change projection etc.?
Old 03-01-2024, 09:57 PM

2024 GLE 450​
Originally Posted by thomasco
What about projections? Will RJ's or Max's coding enable projections like the Stop sign warning, construction warning, lane change projection etc.?
No, because GLE does not have this feature at all yet. You will need to spec Digital Lights which is available on select cars like GLS, GLC, etc. I believe RJ can enable projections on those vehicle models that have Digital Lights.
TonyF61 (03-04-2024)