GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Heated and Cooled Cupholders

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2024, 03:45 PM

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts
2024 GLE 580
Heated and Cooled Cupholders

Can someone tell me what this indicator light means? I know the red and blue below are hot and cold but sometimes when I turn it on this third lamp is red and neither hot or cold is lit.

Old 06-05-2024, 04:13 PM

Received 163 Likes on 109 Posts
2019 C300 Cabriolet, 2022 AMG GLE 53
Here is a response from our AI friend chatGPT. Perhaps someone can confirm if this is indeed true or not:

The third light above the heated and cooled button on a Mercedes cup holder usually indicates that the cup holder feature is turned off. This light is often white or another neutral color, showing that neither heating nor cooling is active. This allows users to easily identify when the system is in a neutral state and not actively modifying the temperature of the beverage.
Old 06-05-2024, 04:17 PM

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
2024 GLE 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by bkushner
Can someone tell me what this indicator light means? I know the red and blue below are hot and cold but sometimes when I turn it on this third lamp is red and neither hot or cold is lit.

I believe that lights up when you use the heating function, to let you know the area is hot. That's what I assumed. I have only seen it on when I'm using/right after I use the heated function.
Old 06-05-2024, 04:21 PM

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts
2024 GLE 580
Originally Posted by jaxslk
Here is a response from our AI friend chatGPT. Perhaps someone can confirm if this is indeed true or not:

The third light above the heated and cooled button on a Mercedes cup holder usually indicates that the cup holder feature is turned off. This light is often white or another neutral color, showing that neither heating nor cooling is active. This allows users to easily identify when the system is in a neutral state and not actively modifying the temperature of the beverage.
mine doesn’t light at all until I hit one of the buttons to heat or cool and then sometimes it will stay red for a while. I thought it was some kind of thing saying it wasn’t enough power at the time because once the red light goes off then the heating cooling begins.
The following 2 users liked this post by bkushner:
jaxslk (06-05-2024), jtjbt20x (06-06-2024)
Old 06-05-2024, 04:35 PM

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
2024 GLE 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by bkushner
mine doesn’t light at all until I hit one of the buttons to heat or cool and then sometimes it will stay red for a while. I thought it was some kind of thing saying it wasn’t enough power at the time because once the red light goes off then the heating cooling begins.
Are you sure it comes on when it's cooling? I have only seen it come on when I'm using the heating function and like I said in my post, I always assumed it was a warning indicator to let you know the area was hot.
Old 06-05-2024, 09:02 PM

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
2024 GLE 63 S AMG SUV
Here is an excerpt from the Owner's Manual: "If you use the heating function, the metal insert of the cup holder will be heated. Once a certain temperature has been reached, the warning lamp will light up. Do not reach into the cup holder's metal insert when the warning lamp is lit."
The following 3 users liked this post by JRHolt:
BlueYonder (06-06-2024), jaxslk (06-05-2024), mikapen (06-06-2024)
Old 06-06-2024, 05:59 PM

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts
2021 GLE450W4 SUV
False - once again, chatGPT gets it totally wrong. The light on mine is red when I have the heater on, and blue when I have the cooler on. That said, I wouldn't get this option again. It seems that you need a flat bottom cup for the heat/cold to do anything with the cup.

Originally Posted by jaxslk

Old 06-07-2024, 12:15 AM

Received 142 Likes on 102 Posts
MY2024 GLE 450
Originally Posted by jtjbt20x
False - once again, chatGPT gets it totally wrong. The light on mine is red when I have the heater on, and blue when I have the cooler on. That said, I wouldn't get this option again. It seems that you need a flat bottom cup for the heat/cold to do anything with the cup.
no, the bottom of the cup has nothing to do with it. The metal inserts on the walls of the cup holders either heat up or cool down, meaning that the maximum effect is achieved when the sides of the cup touch them. When they do, it actually works pretty well.
The following users liked this post:
BlueYonder (06-07-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 08:44 AM

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts
2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Originally Posted by stktyz33
no, the bottom of the cup has nothing to do with it. The metal inserts on the walls of the cup holders either heat up or cool down, meaning that the maximum effect is achieved when the sides of the cup touch them. When they do, it actually works pretty well.

Interesting, I'll check again. Still, the cups that I have don't contact the sides enough for the system to work.