GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

2024 GLE450 - oil level never reaches max?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today, 06:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2024 GLE450
2024 GLE450 - oil level never reaches max?

I did an interim oil and filter change (DIY) on our 2024 GLE450 recently. (Genuine Mercedes oil and filter.) Before the oil change, the oil level indicator bar was solid green and was at "max." This was the first oil change for this vehicle.

The owners manual says the oil capacity is "about 9 U.S. quarts." I initially added 8.5 quarts, figuring I would keep adding small amounts of oil until the level reached "max". Definitely don't want to overfill.

I have been periodically adding oil in 2 to 3 ounce increments, checking the oil level afterwards. The total amount of oil now added is approximately 9.25 quarts. What is concerning is that throughout the process, the green oil level indicator has not changed. It's reading the same at 9.25 quarts as it did when I added the initial 8.5 quarts. That small area of white at the end of the indicator bar has remained the same.

And yes, the oil level readings are done on level ground, with the engine at full temperature, engine idling and the car in Park.

Has anyone else encountered this? Does anyone know the actual oil capacity amount? I am hesitant to keep adding oil, but I know the indicator is able to read "max", since it was at max from the factory.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Old Today, 07:06 PM

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts
MY2024 GLE 450
I believe it doesn't reflect immediately. Have you checked it after taking a trip or just idling after adding more oil?
Old Today, 07:25 PM

2024 GLE450
I've checked it multiple times, each time after a 30 to 45 minute drive. The level indicator never changes,
Old Today, 09:24 PM

Received 356 Likes on 246 Posts
13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
I don’t own this car but are you sure that it is meant to be measured at idle vs 5 minutes after shutdown. That’s the procedure for the three amgs I’ve owned, especially if it’s measured by an electric sensor vs dipstick.

l
Old Today, 10:33 PM

2024 GLE450
From the "checking the engine oil level" section in the owners manual:

Requirements:
  • The engine has been warmed up
  • The vehicle is parked on a level surface
  • The engine is running at idle speed
  • The hood is closed
I'm following the procedure, but I'm still stumped as to why the level hasn't reached "max" yet.