GLE Class (W166) Produced 2015-2019
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay for GLEs produced before January 8th, 2016?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 350d
Hi, so i have a GLE 2015/2016 model on a 2016MY. my vin says built 21/12/15. i dont have carplay or AA. i bought one of the OBD2 activators and followed the instructions. However when i plug it in instead of saying DIAG on the display it says Diagnostics. it then reboots as per the instructions however i still dont have carplay or AA. i do have one USB wit the picture of the tablet/phone. anyone else had this happen with the activator? is my firmware version too old? do i not have the correct cable harness?
Old 11-28-2020, 12:30 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 GLE300D 2007 ML320CDi 1995S500
Originally Posted by MBGB
Hi, so i have a GLE 2015/2016 model on a 2016MY. my vin says built 21/12/15. i dont have carplay or AA. i bought one of the OBD2 activators and followed the instructions. However when i plug it in instead of saying DIAG on the display it says Diagnostics. it then reboots as per the instructions however i still dont have carplay or AA. i do have one USB wit the picture of the tablet/phone. anyone else had this happen with the activator? is my firmware version too old? do i not have the correct cable harness?
I thought about going that route initially too. I think the problem with that build date is you don't know if you actually have the correct hardware. Just because the USB has the one slot with the image of the phone and tablet, it doesn't mean it's actually the updated part. It could be that you just tried to give it the software update through the OBD2 scan but it still can't truly communicate through the port. I don't know how to take apart the arm rest console but I think if you are handy and comfortable doing that you would want to remove the unit you have to see what part number it is labeled with and what the back ports look like. I have no idea how to do that but my understanding is that it's about 15 to take out and replace the piece for the dealership. If you find you have the old part then getting the newer USB might fix the problem. I activated mine through MB dealer so have no experience trying to do it yourself via OBD.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:05 AM

GLE 350d
Originally Posted by MaverikDS
I thought about going that route initially too. I think the problem with that build date is you don't know if you actually have the correct hardware. Just because the USB has the one slot with the image of the phone and tablet, it doesn't mean it's actually the updated part. It could be that you just tried to give it the software update through the OBD2 scan but it still can't truly communicate through the port. I don't know how to take apart the arm rest console but I think if you are handy and comfortable doing that you would want to remove the unit you have to see what part number it is labeled with and what the back ports look like. I have no idea how to do that but my understanding is that it's about 15 to take out and replace the piece for the dealership. If you find you have the old part then getting the newer USB might fix the problem. I activated mine through MB dealer so have no experience trying to do it yourself via OBD.
Thanks for the reply. I did email. My dealer about this and I got this response:Good Morning Mr. Smith,

Apologies for the delay on responding to your enquiry.

We have checked with the parts department and the price to supply and fit apple car play with the part number you have supplied is £276.60 including VAT.

As this is the first one we will have done they may be license fee charged from Mercedes-Benz UK on top of this which is charged at additional fee of £99.00 including VAT, but we are not sure if this will be applicable to your vehicle.

Doesn't really sound like they know themselves what they are doing. And I'm not sure if it is worth that amount of money to me tbh.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:33 AM

Yes the price can be a bit much for what it actually adds. As debated in this thread earlier the added functions have a different value for different people. I myself only really plug my phone in when going on long drives as I find it to be more annoying for shorter normal daily trips. The price sounds about right because what they don't explicitly say is in the kit you buy for the retrofit is that it's the new USB female ports, an Apple lightening cable, and a micro USB cable that they charge you roughly $130 from the dealership (same kit via this thread that was mentioned earlier for about $100 online). When I looked up just the part number for the USB ports it was something like $35 for the OEM one. So MB is charging us about $32.50 for each cable as well just in case you didn't have an extra cable for your phone and also wanted one for a phone that you don't have. The dealerships usually don't know about doing this upgrade from just about everyone's comments on here. So the price that MB corporate says to charge is the kit + 1 hour of labor. The car will be hooked up for several hours to the computer to get reprogrammed but it's hooked up and left. The actual labor is switching the USB ports and hooking the car up, then unhooking it once it's updated. If you find the kit online and a dealership willing to charge only the 1 hour of labor it might be something that's worthwhile to you. Even having a little bit more knowledge when talking to them might help you drop the price as well.

The main reasons I don't hook it up for shorter drives is because it's not wireless so pure laziness and inconvenience and the fact that the star favorites button than becomes your toggle between car play/AA and MB screens. I like having the favorites button pull up my seat massage instead of going through the whole menu to turn them back on. So again...laziness and inconvenience LOL Good luck either way and it's truly something where if you get it you'll probably find it cool but if you decide not to you can be happy buying a couple fill ups instead with that money.
Old 02-10-2021, 05:48 AM

Gle 350d
Gle 350d 2016
hey, just bought a Gle 2016 and I saw that some of the models ones with Apple CarPlay, I wonder how can I get it to work with my car
on registration says the from 18.1.2016 and I have the new mode of the head unit (maybe ntg 5 the one with the eject button on the middle above the volume)
can I flash trough obd2? Or I need to buy sort of plug and play box ?
if you have links for equipment as well let me know.
best regards
Old 02-10-2021, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Galsalman
Gle 350d 2016
hey, just bought a Gle 2016 and I saw that some of the models ones with Apple CarPlay, I wonder how can I get it to work with my car
on registration says the from 18.1.2016 and I have the new mode of the head unit (maybe ntg 5 the one with the eject button on the middle above the volume)
best regards
Hello,
To the best of my knowledge, It will depend on the USB ports in the center console. Just like the last question going a few posts up. If the USB female plugs are so the updated one, in theory a OBDII flash should unlock it. If the USB part isn't correct than the flash will still not add the functions. If you are handy and can take out your USB you could see the part number and tell but I don't know how to go about that. I had the dealer do it. The best option is probably to call the dealer and ask if you can do the retrofit. Then ask them if you would need the command upgrade or if you would need the USB as well. If they could tell you and they said you only needed command upgraded you could probably use one of the flash devices that people have used earlier in the thread. I also don't know if a dealer would do that or just insist on selling everything. Are you saying that your registration says the build date was January 18, 2016 or that was the date the car was sold and first registered? I would assume (and could be very incorrect here) that if a vehicle was first sold in Jan that it's build date would likely have been before the updated USB pieces were being used but actual build date via your vin might help answer that better.
Old 02-10-2021, 03:45 PM

Gle 350d
Originally Posted by MaverikDS
Hello,
To the best of my knowledge, It will depend on the USB ports in the center console. Just like the last question going a few posts up. If the USB female plugs are so the updated one, in theory a OBDII flash should unlock it. If the USB part isn't correct than the flash will still not add the functions. If you are handy and can take out your USB you could see the part number and tell but I don't know how to go about that. I had the dealer do it. The best option is probably to call the dealer and ask if you can do the retrofit. Then ask them if you would need the command upgrade or if you would need the USB as well. If they could tell you and they said you only needed command upgraded you could probably use one of the flash devices that people have used earlier in the thread. I also don't know if a dealer would do that or just insist on selling everything. Are you saying that your registration says the build date was January 18, 2016 or that was the date the car was sold and first registered? I would assume (and could be very incorrect here) that if a vehicle was first sold in Jan that it's build date would likely have been before the updated USB pieces were being used but actual build date via your vin might help answer that better.
what’s the correct USB port serial?
and it has a phone sign on it might be it ?
any way after I check everything possible the dealer told me that my system is not supporting CarPlay
and I found out my system is audio 20, can I upgrade that?
Old 02-10-2021, 04:03 PM

what’s the correct USB port serial?
and it has a phone sign on it might be it ?
any way after I check everything possible the dealer told me that my system is not supporting CarPlay
and I found out my system is audio 20, can I upgrade that?
I think I tossed the box mine came in. I'll look around for it and if I find it I will post. The kit is Manufacturer Part Number: 246-820-38-00 which includes two cables as well (lightening and micro or mini usb, can't remember which is which but the normal small usb one...) In theory with the appropriate command system you could get that and install yourself then flash via OBDII all without going to the dealer. Unfortunatley just having both the phone and tablet icon doesn't mean it's actually the correct USB. It's like they had 3 that they used. The first has the same icon for both ports - no tablet icon. The second one has the phone/tablet icon for one port but doesn't actually support it. The third has the same icons as the second but does provide car play and android auto support via one of the USB connections. I don't know the audio 20 system but it would seem highly unlikely that this kit would work on any other system than the specific ones that the pdf (again above in the thread and I tried re-attaching but have been unable) say. All of which is the NTG 5.1 but among different vehicle lines. Did you find out if the date you had was the build date or sale date for the car?
Old 02-10-2021, 04:09 PM

I was able to convert the PDF to this so it can be uploaded. For whatever reason it doesn't include the photo but here is the text for the info on what MB said could be retrofitted. Again, another member posted a much nicer version further up the thread which is what I downloaded and used for this.
Attached Files
File Type: docx
Smarthphone Integration.docx (10.3 KB, 170 views)
Old 05-12-2021, 07:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLE350
Gle 350d 2016
best regards
Im resurrecting this old thread to confirm that this is possible in early 2016 GLEs (July 2015 build date here). It took me calling at least 5 dealerships in NJ, but I finally got one service department manager willing to research it for me when I gave her the internal document codes for the instructions (from the PDF others have mentioned in this thread). I paid for 2 hours labor to update the comand software and for them to swap out the USB port in the center console. Total after tax was $448 and it took about 3 hours start to finish.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:56 AM

Received 115 Likes on 97 Posts
16 GLE400 4matic
2016 (2015 build date) with the NTG5.5, been finding out it's a firmware update and then enable it. If you already have the (2) USB ports. I found out people are buying NTG5 S1 Activation Tool from Ebay but I also heard it can brink up the system if not done correctly. You need to double check to see if that's the correct one you need. I'm going a different path. I'm going to try and download the firmware from www.mbusa.com and see if I can enable it with a MB Star C5 (My shop finally picked one up). Also heard something about an Engineering menu mode inside the Head unit to tell what version firmware software you have on your unit. When I get a chance I see If I can get inside to check what version I have before the update and after the update.

Last edited by amusa; 05-13-2021 at 04:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mrgeemoney (10-09-2023)
Old 09-01-2021, 02:17 PM

2016 GLE 450 AMG Coupe
I just bought a 2016 GLE450 Coupe but unfortunately, it does not have Apple Carplay. I've contacted 2 dealers in Florida so far and both have said they don't do this work and if I choose to go the aftermarket route, it may void the warranty. Can you tell me which dealership it was exactly? I may have to make a trip up to NJ if needed!
Old 09-01-2021, 02:18 PM

2016 GLE 450 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by meanchristine
Im resurrecting this old thread to confirm that this is possible in early 2016 GLEs (July 2015 build date here). It took me calling at least 5 dealerships in NJ, but I finally got one service department manager willing to research it for me when I gave her the internal document codes for the instructions (from the PDF others have mentioned in this thread). I paid for 2 hours labor to update the comand software and for them to swap out the USB port in the center console. Total after tax was $448 and it took about 3 hours start to finish.
I just bought a 2016 GLE450 Coupe but unfortunately, it does not have Apple Carplay. I've contacted 2 dealers in Florida so far and both have said they don't do this work and if I choose to go the aftermarket route, it may void the warranty. Can you tell me which dealership it was exactly? I may have to make a trip up to NJ if needed!
Old 09-01-2021, 03:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLE350
Originally Posted by rlopez1010
I ended up going to Ray Catena in Edison, NJ. The service manager - I forget her name, but it may have been Randi - was willing to do it for me despite not having done it before. My advisor was a guy named Sean Wong, I believe. I also confirmed with an employee at Keenan Motors (MB dealership) in Doylestown, PA that they’ve done this multiple times. You should verify using that PDF that floats around explaining the service that your exact model with your build month and year is one of the eligible vehicles to be sure, but I’d assume you’re on the list too.

Personally, I looked at aftermarket options for a while and they all cost more than what I paid through MB. It wasn’t worth the risk for me and I’m glad I went this route.
Old 09-01-2021, 03:58 PM

2016 GLE 450 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by meanchristine
I ended up going to Ray Catena in Edison, NJ. The service manager - I forget her name, but it may have been Randi - was willing to do it for me despite not having done it before. My advisor was a guy named Sean Wong, I believe. I also confirmed with an employee at Keenan Motors (MB dealership) in Doylestown, PA that they’ve done this multiple times. You should verify using that PDF that floats around explaining the service that your exact model with your build month and year is one of the eligible vehicles to be sure, but I’d assume you’re on the list too.

Personally, I looked at aftermarket options for a while and they all cost more than what I paid through MB. It wasn’t worth the risk for me and I’m glad I went this route.
Thanks for the info. I will continue to search here in Florida and see if any dealership can do it. If not then we might have to make that 15 or 16 hr drive up to PA or NJ.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLE350
CarPlay Now Working - GLE 11/2015 Build

I have a November 2015 build GLE350 4matic. I thought it had CarPlay when i bought it, but it didnt.

I have been SO FRUSTRATED about just missing the cutoff for CarPlay compatibility, and dreaming about adding it into my vehicle for several years. It's sad, but no joke. Every time i would have a cheap rental car at the airport, it would have CarPlay. And here's my nice GLE without it. So frustrating!

I asked 4-5 MB dealers about adding the smartphone integration package, including the one in Manhattan and several in the TriState area. They all quickly turned me down and said it's not possible. The Manhattan dealer told me that I should just get the new W167 GLE. Not kidding - they did not care at all. This was after me giving them the PDF provided earlier in this chain for "Smartphone Integration package (Code 14U)". Literally handing them the instructions, and they still dont think it is possible. I think there is something wrong with MB's internal system when the service reps look up the Vin # of your vehicle - the system initially says the upgrade is not compatible and unfortunately, that's what most MB reps are relying on. Most of them have never heard of this upgrade and most asked me where I even found this.

I gave up on CarPlay for YEARS. Eventually I came back to this thread.

WELL, it turns out that adding CarPlay in these W166s is not only very possible, it's also very easy and inexpensive. I eventually found another dealer that was actually willing to research this internally when i pushed back. They took the Code14U PDF that i provided, and actually talked to their lead service mechanic. They followed up after 1 day and told me it was possible! and that they would order the part for me. I asked if they have ever done this before and they said no. Unfortunately, it's just not a common request that these dealers get. Fast forward a few days, and I just had CarPlay installed this week. It works great!. Not only that, but it only cost a measly $304.00 including the part (which the parts department can and will happily order for you today) and the labor to install it. I waited YEARS for a $300 upgrade bc multiple people at MB dealers said it's not possible. Such a joke.

If anyone is out there still looking to have this done, or reading this thread year after year like i was (LOL!), be persistent! and call around! Don't let them shut you down.

Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by GLE212678:
gearFX (10-31-2021), mrgeemoney (10-09-2023)
Old 11-04-2021, 02:05 PM

I don't want to quote anyone here and flag them but I keep seeing a common theme...stealership says no despite you providing proper documentation. I also went through more than a few calls even after providing the necessary documentation FROM MB! If you have a dealer that tells you no, and you have read thoroughly through this thread and believe your car is able, I would try to find the highest ranked Service Advisor or better yet if you are able...the master mechanic for that dealership. Once you give them that info, they realize you have done your HW, it's really a matter of them calling MB Corporate/Headquarters not sure official term. I think the problem is they look and see the date your car is made and just want to say No. But once they contact the magic phone number for MB Corporate, they give them your VIN. They look up your VIN and say yes or no on the service. Once they say yes it's so easy for the dealership to do it's crazy. Again do your own HW don't just see how much others have paid as it will vary on your hardware and geographic location. If you need the new USB outlets that's the hardest part for the dealer to install. After those are put in and they get the go ahead from the big MB guys they just plug your car in and let it sit for several hours. Once they realize they charge you several hours of labor for 15 min of work without the USB install and maybe 30 min of work with it...they will probably be happy to figure out they could do it. Just because one service advisor says no, don't give up on that dealership.
Old 03-25-2022, 04:00 PM

GLE3504matic
So I have tryed many things.
bought the device to activate the carplay but then noticed it only works with the NTG5 radios.
i bought a radio from ebay and it worked and used my activation device and it activated the carplay/android auto.
but the radio was from a cla and i couldnt get it to fit even tryed to switch the faces.
i was gonna add the retrofit but i dont need it if it worked with the other radio and also i read the PDF from an earlier post and it said only for NTG models.

My dumb question is out of everyone that got the carplay to work my built day i believe is September 2015 but it doesnt come with the NTG command it has a NR-218

Has anyone in this thread made the carplay work on NONE NTG command model cars because am sure anyone that got the retrofit or the activation tools has an NTG model command radio so am asking if anyone got it working on a NR-218 model?
Thank you.
And sorry for reviving this thread again.
Old 03-28-2022, 05:15 AM

16 GLE400 4matic
f you send me your VIN number I can decode it and see what your vehicle have.

Last edited by amusa; 03-28-2022 at 05:22 AM.
Lokillo (03-28-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 10:03 AM

GLE3504matic
Originally Posted by amusa
4JGDA5HB2GA687256
Old 03-29-2022, 05:52 AM

16 GLE400 4matic
Your release date is 11-11-2015; Delivery date is 11-13-22015

You vehicle is equipped with NTG5/NTG5.5

531 COMAND APS NTG5/NTG5.5

if you have this type of double USB ports inside your armrest hen it's a firmware upgrade or it can be retrofitted. I still believe it's a firmware update and a passkey to unlock it)
https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...l#&gid=1&pid=1

Last edited by amusa; 03-29-2022 at 06:01 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by amusa:
Lokillo (03-30-2022), mrgeemoney (10-09-2023)
Old 03-30-2022, 01:27 AM

GLE3504matic
Your release date is 11-11-2015; Delivery date is 11-13-22015

You vehicle is equipped with NTG5/NTG5.5

531 COMAND APS NTG5/NTG5.5

if you have this type of double USB ports inside your armrest hen it's a firmware upgrade or it can be retrofitted. I still believe it's a firmware update and a passkey to unlock it)
https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...l#&gid=1&pid=1
Ok thank you i will contact the dealership and press them aboit updating the command because i do have the multimedia usb plug-in device just need the software to be updated or activated with a 5.5 firmware i guess.
Old 12-08-2022, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 MB GLE350
question about car play and 3g sunsetting

I have a 2016 GLE350 and it has the USB port labeled 2 for smart phones but as far as I know I don't have Apple Car play. If I were to get the firmware upgraded as talked about in this thread would that be a good solution to the 3G sunsetting issue do you think?
Old 12-09-2022, 08:48 AM

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2016 GLE 300d 4-Matic
Originally Posted by dmbrown
I have a 2016 GLE350 and it has the USB port labeled 2 for smart phones but as far as I know I don't have Apple Car play. If I were to get the firmware upgraded as talked about in this thread would that be a good solution to the 3G sunsetting issue do you think?
Adding carplay is not going to restore the mbrace services (Remote lock/unlock, Remote engine start, Remote diagnostic reports, Vehicle locator and tracking, Automatic collision and alarm notification in the event of an accident, SOS/Emergency calls services, Safe Ride for when you’re unable to drive, Crisis Assist in the event of an emergency, Location-based traffic and weather, Turn-by-turn route assistance, Travel arrangements, Dinner reservations, etc.) that are affected by the loss of 3G services. They're completely different functions.

Your smart phone will fill in to some extent but the functions will be through the phone, not through the mbrace system in the vehicle.

Last edited by John Ha; 12-09-2022 at 11:58 AM.
amusa (12-12-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 10:45 AM

16 GLE400 4matic
Thanks for responding John and clearing it up with dmbrown
John Ha (01-10-2023)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: CarPlay for GLEs produced before January 8th, 2016?