GLE Class (W166) Produced 2015-2019
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay for GLEs produced before January 8th, 2016?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 02:04 PM

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
2016 GLE 300d 4-Matic
Wanted to convey the results of my experience. I have a USA-built GLE 300d, build date of 12/15/2015. A few weeks ago (it was a little before Christmas last year) I took the bulletin with the VIN and my contact information to my favorite MB service advisor and asked whether if, the phone integration package was installed, they could activate carplay on my Benz. She said she'd talk to the technicians and get back with me.

A few days later she contacted me and told me that she'd talked with the tech and he'd said that yes, if the module was installed they could activate carplay. So I told them to go ahead and order the module.

I took it in this morning to get the work done and an hour later the service advisor came out and told me that the vehicle could not be programmed to activate carplay. She said that the bulletin only applied to vehicles built before 11/30/15 (although there is some information on it that suggests otherwise). So it appears that my GLE falls in a gap that prevents carplay from being installed as a "native" application.

They didn't charge me for the work so I was out some time but gained some knowledge. Hopefully the dealer did too.

Hopefully this helps someone out there wondering ...
The following users liked this post:
amusa (01-13-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 MB GLE350
Thanks John for the information! I think my build date is 9/15 if I am reading the sticker on my driver door correctly. I sent my salesman several attachments with my email so we shall see what my dealership comes up with here in Dallas.
John Ha (01-10-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 04:29 AM

Received 112 Likes on 95 Posts
16 GLE400 4matic
Originally Posted by dmbrown
Thanks John for the information! I think my build date is 9/15 if I am reading the sticker on my driver door correctly. I sent my salesman several attachments with my email so we shall see what my dealership comes up with here in Dallas.
Post your VIN#. We can confirm your build date.
Old 02-03-2023, 06:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W203 2005 C230K SS W166 2016 GLE400 4MATIC
My experience

I went two years ago with the pdf and dealer said it could not be done. Gave up on this for a while but during my last visit I tried again. But this time insisted on just a command update. Was going to handle the usb and activation myself at this point. I have Gle400 with a build date of 11/2015.

So same day service became two when they called in the afternoon and said the update will take longer than expected. I suspect dealers do updates overnight. They don’t want a service bay and computer sitting idle during shop hours.

I have the command 531 option and I think this is key. This determines if u have a compatible head unit. After extensive research I suspect the “integration” bulletin is for the usb. Although I had the tablet icon it didn’t work. The next day I get a call in the morning stating the update was successful. I think they saw the CarPlay menu and at this point they said they have need to install the usb part and will make sure I am getting what I want. That evening I get a call stating the usb was successful but needs another update. I think this is the activation key and once again computer overnight hooked to a battery. The next day I pick up the car and it’s up and ready!

I think 531 command is key. Up until 11/30 u need the USB package. If after that date and u have the command 531 I suspect it’s firmware and activation. After sometime in January it may just be activation key.

I hope this helps others.

$400 for parts and labor.
mrgeemoney (10-09-2023)