Sponsored By:

ticking sound on brand new GLE350?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 11:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 GLE 350 - Premium 2 -
ticking sound on brand new GLE350?

Hey guys, my GLE350 is only 1 month old, but starting two days ago I start hearing a ticking sound near driver seat area, sounds like a belt, especially when I pressing gas pedal, what could be the issue?
Old 10-14-2016, 12:54 AM

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
2016 GLE350 4Matic, 2017 GLC300
best to take it to your dealer. I had knocking sounds and door frame creaking
Old 10-14-2016, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Roni07
best to take it to your dealer. I had knocking sounds and door frame creaking
what they say about the knocking sound?
Old 10-14-2016, 01:34 AM

Something loose on transmission, tension cross bar. This is pure BS. How this vehicle rolled off the production line is a mystery to me
The following users liked this post:
JOHNBEST2017GLE (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 01:53 AM

Something loose on transmission, tension cross bar. This is pure BS. How this vehicle rolled off the production line is a mystery to me
i can't sleep well tonight. This is absolutely unacceptable for a 60K plus SUV. I'm going in tomorrow to dealer
Old 10-14-2016, 02:11 AM

It was knocking when accelerating and turning left. Now I hear a light knock when turning right. It's definitely coming from the carriage underneath, somewhere in the front part. I can't see anything underneath. The MB shop said they re torqued everything underneath. The door frames still creak but not as much as before. The problem has not been fixed, it's better but none the less the problem persists. So far they have adjusted the door seals and lubricated it with some magic MB lotion. I'm lost for words. My wife wants an other MB.
I would go any day with Lexus, Honda or Toyota, but......
VW,MB,BMW were all excellent vehicles, when they were designed and built in Germany. People loved their VW, I remember, no one had a bad thing to say. But look at them now. Anyone who owns a VW would most likely never buy an other one.
Since they expanded globally, QC has gone down the toilet. The real irony is that I think Kia has surpassed all of them in terms of quality and reliability.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:25 AM

It was knocking when accelerating and turning left. Now I hear a light knock when turning right. It's definitely coming from the carriage underneath, somewhere in the front part. I can't see anything underneath. The MB shop said they re torqued everything underneath. The door frames still creak but not as much as before. The problem has not been fixed, it's better but none the less the problem persists. So far they have adjusted the door seals and lubricated it with some magic MB lotion. I'm lost for words. My wife wants an other MB.
VW,MB,BMW were all excellent vehicles, when they were designed and built in Germany. People loved their VW, I remember, no one had a bad thing to say. But look at them now. Anyone who owns a VW would most likely never buy an other one.
Since they expanded globally, QC has gone down the toilet. The real irony is that I think Kia has surpassed all of them in terms of quality and reliability.
https://mbworld.org/forums/new-m-cla...se-help-5.html

seems this is the fix? left and right chain tensioners
Old 10-14-2016, 02:30 AM

"replace all 3 chain tensioner and oil check value. "
Old 10-14-2016, 10:24 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 GLS 450 2017 E300 Sport
Agree. My other vehicle is a Hyundai Genesis and it feels more solid than my GLS and comes with A lot more tech standard.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:11 PM

Surprisingly, this morning after a 5-10mins drive the sound is very minimal so I guess maybe I didn't drive my car for couple days?
Old 10-14-2016, 05:31 PM

the knocking sound is back, like before. All these ''loose transmission.cross tension bar'' is bs. I don't know what they really did. To clarify, there is no knocking on startup. The knocking happens when I turn ether left or right, as if something hits the bottom carriage or something is loose. No knocking sound driving straight or any other time. The door frames are creaking again, same as before. don't know what to do next.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:56 PM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
2016 volkswagen beetle
The entire VW group, Porsche, Audi, and VW all score average to above average, same as Kia and Hyundai, higher than most american brands except for lincoln, ford and buick. Even BMW and Mini are at or above the industry average per Consumer reports. Mercedes scores below average mainly because of new model releases. When you look at the problems mercedes models have, there aren't many. What put them below average was things like noises/leaks, brakes, suspension. Those may be inconvenient but none of thoste will leave you on the side of the road. Had those problems not existed, they'd be at or near the top of the list.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GLE 550e, BMW Z3
the knocking sound is back, like before. All these ''loose transmission.cross tension bar'' is bs. I don't know what they really did. To clarify, there is no knocking on startup. The knocking happens when I turn ether left or right, as if something hits the bottom carriage or something is loose. No knocking sound driving straight or any other time. The door frames are creaking again, same as before. don't know what to do next.
Is it a knocking or more of a clicking? Clicking is the classic sound of a CV joint issue, and only happens when turning. When the CV boot gets ripped, and the oil comes out, you will hear the clicking from the operation of the joint when turning.

I will add that there is usually an inner and outer boot. It seems highly unlikely that both the front CV joints had both the inner and outer boots tear or rip, especially on a relatively new car. It happened on my old Honda Prelude after years of use.

Last edited by DarrenK; 10-17-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
gle 350 2016
any solution for the clicks sound ? went to the dealership three times and they can't fix the problem all they do is applied felt tape.............
Old 10-19-2018, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 350
Did you determine what it was? I have EXACTLY the same thing. When I called the dealer, he downplayed it as "standard engine noise" due to the new MB injected V6.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:18 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
gle 350 2016
They replaced the cup holder tray was rubbing against it and applied lots felt tape.