Sponsored By:

2016 GLE350 Headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GLE350
2016 GLE350 Headlights

I've read through and seen a few threads on this, but am still confused. I read about needing the square adapters instead of the round ones and that was about as much as I could comprehend. Hopefully someone can help me out here.

I have a leased car due back in 27 months and the standard halogen are awful. I don't want to do anything that will void my warranty and want more attractive looking headlights that provide better coverage than the terrible factory ones. I'm not the most handy so someone would prob have to do this for me, but how do I get a better looking and performing headlight kit installed and what type of cost am I looking at?

Anyone have pictures of their headlights after making the switch?

Much appreciated!
Old 09-12-2017, 05:46 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
GLE 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Tbonesteak
I've read through and seen a few threads on this, but am still confused. I read about needing the square adapters instead of the round ones and that was about as much as I could comprehend. Hopefully someone can help me out here.

I have a leased car due back in 27 months and the standard halogen are awful. I don't want to do anything that will void my warranty and want more attractive looking headlights that provide better coverage than the terrible factory ones. I'm not the most handy so someone would prob have to do this for me, but how do I get a better looking and performing headlight kit installed and what type of cost am I looking at?

Anyone have pictures of their headlights after making the switch?

Much appreciated!
Take it back to the dealer, tell them it's a safety hazard and that you can't see anything at night (which is true), get yourself the upgraded LED ones. If not, speak to the manager and continue to site it as a safety hazard--be vocal if need be. It's very bad for a dealership to screw a customer who is concerned about safety in one of their vehicles, especially in a room full of potential buyers. Most of us only have the HID route since we purchased.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:09 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Dealer is not going to upgrade your headlight to LED version just like that as halogens (although awful) are perfectly street legal. For a lease, really the easiest thing to do is either go with better halogen bulbs, or do an HID conversion kit. With an HID conversion kit, especially a plug and play kit like the Hylux/Morimoto kit we have for your GLE, there's no cutting or wire splicing so no worries about returning the vehicle. The only thing will be the dust cap where you probably don't want to tamper with so you can just tape off the opening to prevent dust from getting in.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:10 PM

2016 GLE350
Originally Posted by AZN Optics
Dealer is not going to upgrade your headlight to LED version just like that as halogens (although awful) are perfectly street legal. For a lease, really the easiest thing to do is either go with better halogen bulbs, or do an HID conversion kit. With an HID conversion kit, especially a plug and play kit like the Hylux/Morimoto kit we have for your GLE, there's no cutting or wire splicing so no worries about returning the vehicle. The only thing will be the dust cap where you probably don't want to tamper with so you can just tape off the opening to prevent dust from getting in.
Thanks - how much does these go for? Do you have any pictures on a GLE what they look like from the outside and the light they provide from inside the car too?

Also, I like the DRL, will this mess that up? Will I have any warnings on my monitor?

Last edited by Tbonesteak; 09-12-2017 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:28 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

The kit is $150+ship

Here's a pic from one of our GLE customers:

This is an error free kit.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:41 AM

2016 GLE350
The kit is $150+ship

Here's a pic from one of our GLE customers:

This is an error free kit.
Thanks, do you know if it will have any impact on the DRLs?
Old 09-13-2017, 11:08 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Thanks, do you know if it will have any impact on the DRLs?
It just replaces function of your low beams. You're not altering any other component.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:14 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
GLE 350 4MATIC
Yea, but dealerships are about keeping business, so while they wont "upgrade" for free, they will probably let him trade in and renew the lease. Better halogens are useless. The only way is to upgrade to HID. Personally, if I had a lease, I would do everything in my power to get a new vehicle, what does he have to lose? It will take 4-5 hours to install these with all the fidgeting, that same amount of time could be spent at the dealership. The dealership isn't going to lose much if they let him upgrade and renew the lease); they will lose customers if OP decides to spread the word around to his friends. I can tell you that the MB dealership was not happy when I explained to another GLE user that the hard shifts she is experiencing are not going to be fixed, when she brought it in for service.

Last edited by nvsocr7; 09-13-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:54 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 GLE 350 4Matic
Originally Posted by nvsocr7
Yea, but dealerships are about keeping business, so while they wont "upgrade" for free, they will probably let him trade in and renew the lease. Better halogens are useless. The only way is to upgrade to HID. Personally, if I had a lease, I would do everything in my power to get a new vehicle, what does he have to lose? It will take 4-5 hours to install these with all the fidgeting, that same amount of time could be spent at the dealership. The dealership isn't going to lose much if they let him upgrade and renew the lease); they will lose customers if OP decides to spread the word around to his friends. I can tell you that the MB dealership was not happy when I explained to another GLE user that the hard shifts she is experiencing are not going to be fixed, when she brought it in for service.
The Dealership probably not gonna do anything. 85% of the GLE out there are halogen. Like mention before the standard halogen still street legal and probably pass the minimum gov't requirement. Can't really blame the dealership. Maybe MB for offering such crappy standard lighting on a 60K vehicle. I am pretty sure the salesperson try to offer LED package to every customer (they make more if the customer add on more stuff). But based on everyone's knowledge, budget and preference, some might take it and some might not. It's a choice buyer's make at the end of the day. Only thing I would recommend is just change it with after market plug and play kit.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:43 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

true, can't hurt to try asking the dealer, but even if the dealer wanted to play ball and swap out to a different model, inventory is still an issue as I heard there's a shortage of lighting package G line models for whatever reason. And yeah, you're going to get a very minor improvement with upgraded halogen bulbs.... with HIDs, it's a pretty simple 1-2 hour install for a fraction of the price.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:35 PM

2016 GLE350
Okay, good info in here, thanks... has anyone actually installed one of these kits that can speak to it?
Old 09-14-2017, 11:54 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 GLS 450 2017 E300 Sport
Okay, good info in here, thanks... has anyone actually installed one of these kits that can speak to it?
yes many people have and it works fine. Look for the HID thread.