GLE Class (W166) Produced 2015-2019
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Active Brake Assist with cross-traffic function - why is this an option?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 AMG 43 GLE SUV, BMW 750i
Question Active Brake Assist with cross-traffic function - why is this an option?

I have been noticing lately many TV ads concerning the braking function which applies the brakes automatically if an accident with a pedestrian or another vehicle is imminent: Infiniti, Honda, to name two. This is "standard equipment" on certain Volvo models and is a moderately priced option on many vehicles. Yet on a GLE, and I'm assuming on other models, it is only part of a P03 package or other, which are pricey. Is it that MB doesn't think this to be an important option, are they behind everyone else in offering this option, or just trying to get more $ by requiring this as an option?
Thanks for your thoughts on this!
Old 01-20-2018, 07:24 PM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
I think they do this more or less to keep the "base" price at a minimum. It looks more appealing when you first see that low sticker price. Then, you start actually building the car equipped the way you want and the price goes through the roof.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:57 PM
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
"This is "standard equipment" on certain BRAND models"

i know on my subarus, there are certain things standard on ALL models, but then more is added as the trimline increases (along with the price). i'm not going to do any survey, but i don't think that the base model of any mfg comes fully loaded. i do think that this type of safety feature should be on all models, but then that takes away your choice. ron
Old 01-21-2018, 08:11 AM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by rcsjr
I do think that this type of safety feature should be on all models.
I agree 100%! These features should be mandated by law for ALL cars. We're talking about potentially life saving features. You can't put a price tag on human life. Unfortunately, auto manufacturers would rather attract more customers by having a lower base price. For over a decade Lee Iacocca of Chrysler fought air bags becoming mandatory, costing thousands of lives. Just read about the Ford Pinto fiasco with fires. Internal memos at Ford proved the automaker weighed the safety risks over cost saving for customers. Meanwhile, people burned to death because Ford was trying to save money and avoid redesigning a deathtrap. If given a choice, automakers have always cared more about the bottom dollar than your life. The airline industry is no better.

http://professornerdster.com/lee-iac...adly-mistakes/

https://nader.org/1988/02/13/air-bags/

Eventually, this will happen. The exact same thing happened with seat belts and air bags. Automakers actually fault government regulation of those devices, costing thousands of lives.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 GL450
On the ml (gle too?) xenon headlights are an option Somthing my 2004 Acura came with standard. The results of all these expensive options is dealer doesn’t order or try t sell them. Those that special order must keep their cars because you hardly ever see any options on used or cpo cars.

You will see the Designo leather before you find a car on a lot with distronic
Old 01-30-2018, 04:30 PM

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 GLE350 2020 Toyota Rav4H AWD XLE
Originally Posted by Packrat555
On the ml (gle too?) xenon headlights are an option Somthing my 2004 Acura came with standard. The results of all these expensive options is dealer doesn’t order or try t sell them. Those that special order must keep their cars because you hardly ever see any options on used or cpo cars.

You will see the Designo leather before you find a car on a lot with distronic
GLE is the LED adaptive (which function about the same as the xenons, only you get twice as much as distance seen compared to xenons). Its the same commonality, you pay between 50-60k for the standard features, 60k-80k for premium features, such as P02/03 and mercedes being mercedes, will charge 55k for a car that doesnt have any of the standard features you see on other cars, hence the 2004 Acura you mentiond
Old 02-22-2018, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
Active Brake Assist is standard on all the Mercedes passenger cars (including the GLE). What's optional is the extended package with adaptive cruise control, lane centering and active brake assist which reacts also on pedestrians and crossing traffic. The optional package has several more radars and a stereo camera.

See standard equipment here.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:14 AM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
It's similar to PRE-SAFE. PRE-SAFE is standard. PRE-SAFE PLUS is part of the Premium 3 Package.

PRE-SAFE -

A Mercedes-Benz first, PRE-SAFEŽ can detect instability during certain vehicle maneuvers that suggest a collision or rollover is imminent. It can then tighten the front seat belts, adjust the front passenger seat, and close the windows and sunroof, all in an effort to better prepare the occupants and restraints in the moments before a collision. If no accident occurs, the seat-belt tensioners reverse, and you simply readjust your seat, open the sunroof and continue on your way.

PRE-SAFE PLUS adds a radar sensor behind the "rear" bumper as well.

MB needs to change the way they offer these important safety features. I don't believe potentially life-saving safety features should be bundled with amenities that some people couldn't care less about. To force you to pay an additional $8,230 for safety features bundled with a bunch of other stuff, doesn't make sense. They're trying to keep the base price low, potentially at the risk of human lives.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLE350
Hi all,

I got the P3 on my 2018 GLE350... am I supposed to be able to disable and enable the pre safe and pre safe plus features? I don't see it on my menu at all.... I see the attention assist, activate brake, and such but nothing on pre safe...i don't see the menu that is show in the picture above.

Is that weird?

Thanks