GLE Class (W166) Produced 2015-2019
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

GLE Electric Parking brake

Old 03-08-2018, 01:11 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
GL 450 W4, GLE 350 W4
GLE Electric Parking brake

Hi MB peeps, I just brought our ‘17 GLE 350 W4 in for the 1 year service A and some other issues (one involving Dynamic Select). While driving the ‘18 GLE 350 W4 loaner, I quickly noticed that the electric parking brake automatically releases (As it should!!) when put into drive. I realized what a PITA this is on our ‘17 & how much it bothers me. Anyone out there know what they did differently in the ‘18’s & can it be fixed on our ‘17 with a software update? Any info appreciated as the dealer mechanics/ service advisors are sometimes clueless! (They had a the nerve to tell me I had to stop the car to use Dynamic Select.... umm not true... they call it dynamic for a reason!) Thanks for any knowledgable input.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:19 PM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by Boston
Hi MB peeps, I just brought our ‘17 GLE 350 W4 in for the 1 year service A and some other issues (one involving Dynamic Select). While driving the ‘18 GLE 350 W4 loaner, I quickly noticed that the electric parking brake automatically releases (As it should!!) when put into drive. I realized what a PITA this is on our ‘17 & how much it bothers me. Anyone out there know what they did differently in the ‘18’s & can it be fixed on our ‘17 with a software update? Any info appreciated as the dealer mechanics/ service advisors are sometimes clueless! (They had a the nerve to tell me I had to stop the car to use Dynamic Select.... umm not true... they call it dynamic for a reason!) Thanks for any knowledgable input.
Is the difference related to the model year, or is this feature part of some "package"? Mine automatically releases, but I have the Coupe. I just assumed they all did it. Are you positive yours is not defective?

LOL about the Dynamic Select. I think some of these service advisors just make stuff up off the top of their heads. With a previous vehicle, I had one tell me the Nav system downloaded updates OVER THE AIR. Mind you, that was almost ten years ago and the car didn't even have WiFi! I guess he thought it downloaded data from some special satellite. I swear, you'd have better luck meeting the Wizard of Oz than getting a truthful answer from some of these folks.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:43 PM
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
service also said to have vehicle stopped before switching selector. my '16 gle 3504matic will release as soon as you start moving. i prefer to just manually do it. ron
Old 03-08-2018, 04:55 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by rcsjr
Service also said to have vehicle stopped before switching selector.
I find it hard to believe that if this was detrimental to the trans, they wouldn't warn against it in the owner's manual. I can find no mention of this practice whatsoever in the manual. If you're supposed to be stationary, why in God's name would they call it "Dynamic" Select? This may just be an assumption on their part.

Dictionary.com:

Dynamic
adjective

1. of or concerned with energy or forces that produce motion, as opposed to static
Old 03-08-2018, 05:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 AMG GLC63S Coupe, 2020 GLE 450
I have a 17 GLE Coupe and a very early model 16 GLE 350. My 17 coupe has a very sensitive parking break release where when you barely push on the gas it releases. The 16 350 does not release as quick and sometimes you can feel the breaks grab just a tad and then it turns of and the car moves. I have no idea if thats adjustable or not. I suppose you'd have to ask the SA and have them check with a Technician. Like Ron said, i just always pull the break lever out of habit. Conversely, I have no idea how my wife does it in the 350 but she never complains!
Old 03-08-2018, 09:06 PM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by nbukrey
I have a 17 GLE Coupe and a very early model 16 GLE 350. My 17 coupe has a very sensitive parking break release where when you barely push on the gas it releases. The 16 350 does not release as quick and sometimes you can feel the breaks grab just a tad and then it turns of and the car moves. I have no idea if thats adjustable or not. I suppose you'd have to ask the SA and have them check with a Technician. Like Ron said, i just always pull the break lever out of habit. Conversely, I have no idea how my wife does it in the 350 but she never complains!
I think I may know what's going on here. My last car did NOT have an automatic parking brake release. However, the parking brake would release if you tried to drive without manually releasing it. It was a safety feature to prevent you from driving with the parking brake on and wearing out the brakes. But it was not designed to intentionally disengage in this manner. That may be what's going on with your 16 GLE 350. I can feel a distinct difference in the way the GLE Coupe releases the parking brake and my last car. My old car "grabbed" for a moment as you drove off, just as you described.

Last edited by GLE43_Sube; 03-08-2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:57 AM
Banned

my '16 has an owner manual section on the EPB releasing automatically, so i will guess it is an intended function. they may have softened the "release" in future models. ron
Old 03-09-2018, 11:08 AM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by rcsjr
my '16 has an owner manual section on the EPB releasing automatically, so i will guess it is an intended function. they may have softened the "release" in future models. ron
True. The release in my Coupe is very soft. No grabbing at all.

If your '16 has it and Boston's '17 does not, then it must be part of some optional package.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Yours should be releasing. Every MB I've had since 2014 that was equipped with the electric parking brake has released and engaged itself. I never touch it anymore unless.......... While in car line my little girl gets out of the back door i usually open the front door (still in drive) to hand her her bag and lunch box, the car will set itself to park and then when i put the car back in drive and try to go, the parking brake will not release. Other than that I never touch it and you shouldn't have to touch yours either if you don't want too.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
I found out something interesting yesterday about this subject. I took my car in your service and they gave me a 2018 GLE350 for a loaner. The parking brake on this car relesed itself everytime I put the car into drive without doing anything else. On my 400 I have to put the car into drive and then tap or press the gas to make it release. Just curious as to why the same car might act different?
Old 08-21-2018, 03:49 PM

Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts
‘22 Ram Limited 4x4, '21 GLE63S, ‘14 Corvette Stingray
My 63’s parking brake works similar to the 400.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
I found out something interesting yesterday about this subject. I took my car in your service and they gave me a 2018 GLE350 for a loaner. The parking brake on this car relesed itself everytime I put the car into drive without doing anything else. On my 400 I have to put the car into drive and then tap or press the gas to make it release. Just curious as to why the same car might act different?
same on a GLA or something loaner the other week. probably got a lot of flack on the EPB operation and changed the disengage feature. now if they could do something about the clutch effects on the lower gear downshifts. ron