Sponsored By:

2016 GLE 350 Headlamps swap from Halogen to LED

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 MB GLE 350
2016 GLE 350 Headlamps swap from Halogen to LED

Hello! I have a question, I currently bought a replacement headlamp for my GLE 350. I currently have the Halogen head lamp it came with, yet as we know they are super bad for lighting. Now I received my new headlamps today and want to install them, my question is do I meed to buy a conversion kit? Or do they meed to be programmed for my vehicle? Cam someone run me to the right direction. I would really appreciate it!

These are the new head lamps I got.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,936 Likes on 3,099 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Did you do any research first? It seems a non-trivial project, although most likely possible.

Please post photos of the new headlamps you purchased, showing front and back and top and bottom.

The LED headlamps are quite large inside the engine bay, with the power electronics that drive the lamps.

I don't know if coding is required, it would not surprise me if the answer is yes. Search this site and search google, and tellers your progress here. Others will chime in.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:06 PM

2016 MB GLE 350
Here is the picture from the back.
I did research but everything said I need to buy a conversion kit for the bulbs but this one I bought from Mercedes Benz its a complete headlamp.

Old 12-04-2019, 02:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'20 CLS53, '16 GLE 400 4M (hers) '14 E350 4M (daughter's)
Did you have any luck? Yesterday my wife decided she wanted automatic dimming headlights...that means I either get LEDs or trade the car. I've looked all over the site but don't see where anyone has accomplished the switch. Curious about your results.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:20 PM

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
2016 GLE 350 4Matic, 2019 GLS 450 4Matic
I can't see how this headlight assembly would work, assuming it fits the vehicle, unless the wiring harness includes a connector to attach to the one pictured.

A dealer should be able to say if it came prewired to include one or if that connector is part of an option that would have installed it with a different wiring harness for the GLE models delivered with that option.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:55 AM

I thought I was pretty good at this internet search thing, but either I'm missing something, or there isn't a lot of information out there on changing base headlights to ILS LED. Looks like the lights themselves can be had for about $800-900 each, and a controller (not sure whether one or two is needed) adds another couple of hundred dollars. I've read vague references to changing the sensor above the rear view mirror, and some discussion of wiring harnesses...and no real information on programming. I've reached out to both my dealer and my Indie, but haven't gotten anything back yet. Conceptually, the integration required would seem to be dash information, steering angle and light sensor data. Any information would be appreciated.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,936 Likes on 3,099 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Another question is about the instrument cluster. Auto dimming has an indicator lamp in the tachometer. I think this is a physical feature of the display, not a virtual one.

Text from the owner's manual, mentioning the sensor in the windshield:

"You can use this function to set the headlamps
to change between low beam and high beam
automatically. The system recognizes vehicles
with their lights on, either approaching from the
opposite direction or traveling in front of your
vehicle, and consequently switches the headlamps from high beam to low beam.
The system automatically adapts the low-beam
headlamp range depending on the distance to
the other vehicle. Once the system no longer
detects any other vehicles, it reactivates the
high-beam headlamps.
The system's optical sensor is located behind
the windshield near the overhead control panel."
Old 01-01-2024, 05:04 PM

C63
Originally Posted by JediJD
Did you have any luck? Yesterday my wife decided she wanted automatic dimming headlights...that means I either get LEDs or trade the car. I've looked all over the site but don't see where anyone has accomplished the switch. Curious about your results.
Geez. My Range Rover Sport has adaptive high beams. In Europe, lighting manufacturers are allowed to do crazy things that allow the lights to dip around oncoming vehicles, or vehicles you're following. In the US, It's useless technology. Teach your wife how to use the high beam stalk. Really.
Old 01-01-2024, 05:39 PM

2016 MB GLE 350
It Worked!!

To all the ones that said it was impossible well, we made it possible. Had to do a whole lot of research and we had to get a wire harness and someone to reprogram the computer but we made it work!!

Old 01-01-2024, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Congratulations on your project. Please share details while still fresh so others who want to replace their archaic halogen headlights with the LED's don't have to reinvent the wheel.
Old 01-10-2024, 07:46 PM

2016 GLE350 4Matic
Congratulations! I always want to do this process but never got a chance. Checked the WIS and it seems we have to do some programming to make it work. Could you please share more on that? Thank you very much!
Old 01-15-2024, 06:47 PM

Awesome!

First...thanks for digging through the process and sharing that it is possible. That itself is a lot. Congratulations. Second, although I know it is common in the car world to share information, in this case I wouldn't blame you for holding the information close. I suspect the information itself would be a very valuable addition to an indie toolkit. Should you choose to share privately, please feel free to pm directly. I have since bought my wife an AMG with the intelligent lighting built in, but my daughter drives the GLE400 and I'd love to have it upgraded.

Originally Posted by Iliana Renteria
To all the ones that said it was impossible well, we made it possible. Had to do a whole lot of research and we had to get a wire harness and someone to reprogram the computer but we made it work!!

Old 01-15-2024, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 252 Likes on 231 Posts
'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Congrats on your achievement! The ability to do anything is possible.
R,
2Merks
Old 07-25-2024, 04:13 PM

2016 GLE350 4Matic
I can share some coding information for the process, but I do not know how to rewire the lamps or which adapter I should buy. So if anyone knows what to do for that part, please kindly let me know!! Here are the coding details:

Net EZS166 set codes:
10. VCD_Globale_Variantenkodierung
(Set manually, add 16 to the 3rd number)
19. VCD_Verbaute_Steuergeraete_Soll_Chassis_2
HLM_LT(2) verbaut
Front SAM CBCBOLERO set codes:
26. VCD_OLC_VC_Abblendlicht
PLSM_ABL_OnbyProg freigegeben
PLSM_Ueff_Abblendlicht 13.137225
27. VCD_OLC_VC_Allgemein
PLSM_Country China
PLSM_HW_FRA2beiFRA KL30L
PLSM_IHC_Avl ja
PLSM_IHC_Rq freigegeben
29. VCD_OLC_VC_Blinker
PLSM_HW_FRA_VL nicht freigegeben
PLSM_HW_FRA_VR nicht
freigegeben PLSM_Ueff_FRA_Nacht_Adapt_hi 10.509780

There are 11 more things need to be changed. I would like to trade the rest with anyone who can provide me a detail rewiring procedure or the adapter and the installation process!
Old Today, 01:58 PM

2017 AMG GLE43 4MATIC SUV
Here is the PDF. Could you also help me with the process too?

Originally Posted by freddieZ
I can share some coding information for the process, but I do not know how to rewire the lamps or which adapter I should buy. So if anyone knows what to do for that part, please kindly let me know!! Here are the coding details:

Net EZS166 set codes:
10. VCD_Globale_Variantenkodierung
(Set manually, add 16 to the 3rd number)
19. VCD_Verbaute_Steuergeraete_Soll_Chassis_2
HLM_LT(2) verbaut
Front SAM CBCBOLERO set codes:
26. VCD_OLC_VC_Abblendlicht
PLSM_ABL_OnbyProg freigegeben
PLSM_Ueff_Abblendlicht 13.137225
27. VCD_OLC_VC_Allgemein
PLSM_Country China
PLSM_HW_FRA2beiFRA KL30L
PLSM_IHC_Avl ja
PLSM_IHC_Rq freigegeben
29. VCD_OLC_VC_Blinker
PLSM_HW_FRA_VL nicht freigegeben
PLSM_HW_FRA_VR nicht
freigegeben PLSM_Ueff_FRA_Nacht_Adapt_hi 10.509780

There are 11 more things need to be changed. I would like to trade the rest with anyone who can provide me a detail rewiring procedure or the adapter and the installation process!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
halogen and led.pdf (1.29 MB, 3 views)