GLE43 Coupe (C292) 2016 - Present (Includes GLE450 Coupe)
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Engine seized?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE43 Coup
Engine seized?

Hello,

I have a 2017 AMG GLE43 coup with about 80k miles on it. I came home from work last week and parked the car in the garage with no issues. I went out of town for 5 days and while I was away we had a cold front in Chicago and the weather got down to around -15. When I got home I tried to start the car and it would not start. I had power but the stater would make a click sound but nothing would happen. I figured the battery must be low and tried to jump the car, but no luck.

I used Mercedes roadside assistance to tow the car to dealership and now they are telling me that the long block in my engine is stuck and the engine is essentially sized. They are quoting AT LEAST $20k to fix it. They mentioned multiple times that the cost could go higher if they find more issues.

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of such an issue. To my (limited) knowledge, engines lock up when they’re running, but the car was not running and was sitting in a garage for like 5 days. Also, any suggestions of what to do? I am currently leaning toward just salvaging the car since I don’t think paying $20k for a car that’s worth $30 is exactly a good financial decision; however, salvaging it will cost me around $25k since with the engine sized the car is valued at like $5k.

any thoughts or suggestions are highly appreciated.
Old 01-20-2024, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,073 Likes on 860 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
I would take all the plugs out and try to turn it over manually. If the engine is truly seized, I would drop in a used engine from a salvage yard and go to an independent. Seems very suspect the engine would be seized unless you had a coolant leak and the engine is basically frozen from the coolant.
The following 2 users liked this post by BlownV8:
Frankpoz (08-22-2024), GLE43_owner (01-22-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 06:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 716 Likes on 533 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Did it Have proper coolant and full?
Was car outside or in garage?
If inside heated or open windows?

Was it cold enough for whatever you had for coolant freeze and crack block?

IE any fluids in oil or on ground?

Other wise ask them how this could happen?

You drove it home and parked it and all was fine?
Then you left it alone for some very cold days.
now it does not start.
The following users liked this post:
GLE43_owner (01-22-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 02:28 PM

GLE43 Coup
Originally Posted by BlownV8
I would take all the plugs out and try to turn it over manually. If the engine is truly seized, I would drop in a used engine from a salvage yard and go to an independent. Seems very suspect the engine would be seized unless you had a coolant leak and the engine is basically frozen from the coolant.
thank you for the suggestion. I towed the car to an independent mechanic and he’s going to try to turn the engine manually to see what happens. I’m looking at used engines, but so far no luck with finding a similar engine.
Old 01-22-2024, 02:32 PM

GLE43 Coup
Originally Posted by ygmn
Did it Have proper coolant and full?
Was car outside or in garage?
If inside heated or open windows?

Was it cold enough for whatever you had for coolant freeze and crack block?

IE any fluids in oil or on ground?

Other wise ask them how this could happen?

You drove it home and parked it and all was fine?
Then you left it alone for some very cold days.
now it does not start.
car was inside the garage, but still probably at 0 degrees. Everything was up to date. The same MB dealership that told me the engine is sizes is the one that does the maintenance. They said there is nothing that they know of that could’ve caused this.

there are no leaks or anything on the floor. I asked the dealer and they didn’t see any coolant leak either.

yup! I drove it home, parked it the garage, and 5 days later it wouldn’t start. I thought it was the battery or the starter, but the dealership looked at them and said they’re all good. They took a closer look and said the long block is stuck. They said they don’t know the cause and it would cost more money to do more diagnostic to figure it out.

Old 03-21-2024, 08:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,626 Likes on 2,232 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by GLE43_owner
car was inside the garage, but still probably at 0 degrees. Everything was up to date. The same MB dealership that told me the engine is sizes is the one that does the maintenance. They said there is nothing that they know of that could’ve caused this.

there are no leaks or anything on the floor. I asked the dealer and they didn’t see any coolant leak either.

yup! I drove it home, parked it the garage, and 5 days later it wouldn’t start. I thought it was the battery or the starter, but the dealership looked at them and said they’re all good. They took a closer look and said the long block is stuck. They said they don’t know the cause and it would cost more money to do more diagnostic to figure it out.
Sorry to hear that, this is so frustrating. That makes absolutely no sense, how can something like that happen, hopefully your dealership is wrong.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,626 Likes on 2,232 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Another forum member recommend looking for used engines here : https://car-part.com/

If you ever have to go that route, still hoping your dealership is wrong with the diagnosis.

Trending Topics

Old 05-16-2024, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG GLE 43
What happened? I need closer on this thread. lol
The following users liked this post:
Frankpoz (08-22-2024)
Old 08-22-2024, 07:35 PM

Cls63 AMG
Originally Posted by GLE43_owner
Hello,

I have a 2017 AMG GLE43 coup with about 80k miles on it. I came home from work last week and parked the car in the garage with no issues. I went out of town for 5 days and while I was away we had a cold front in Chicago and the weather got down to around -15. When I got home I tried to start the car and it would not start. I had power but the stater would make a click sound but nothing would happen. I figured the battery must be low and tried to jump the car, but no luck.

I used Mercedes roadside assistance to tow the car to dealership and now they are telling me that the long block in my engine is stuck and the engine is essentially sized. They are quoting AT LEAST $20k to fix it. They mentioned multiple times that the cost could go higher if they find more issues.

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of such an issue. To my (limited) knowledge, engines lock up when they’re running, but the car was not running and was sitting in a garage for like 5 days. Also, any suggestions of what to do? I am currently leaning toward just salvaging the car since I don’t think paying $20k for a car that’s worth $30 is exactly a good financial decision; however, salvaging it will cost me around $25k since with the engine sized the car is valued at like $5k.

any thoughts or suggestions are highly appreciated.
here's my thoughts in general as im not an official mb mechanic... imagine someone telling you that the $30k in your bank account is no good and if you pay them $20k you can have access to it... wouldn't you want another opinion before you submit? Of course....

If the car ran and gave NO signs of a problem before, you probably don't have a mb problem, you have a trustworthy dealership problem. As was suggested, you can remove plugs and manually crank engine to get it unstuck IF that's the problem. If you're in Chicago I KNOW there are great mechanics there. I haven't been to the guy but while there visiting my family I spoke to several mechanics who told me to go to the shop on the corner of Harlem and 111th st. I don't remember the name but at least look him up and call. Maybe he just does tires and brakes, I don't know but when everyone recommends someone, give that person a call and if they can't do the work they will likely recommend someone THEY trust.

Another thing is its possible that the jump start you got wasn't enough. Clicking usually means there's not enough electricity to engage the starter. Doesn't mean engine is broke. So a battery should be over 13 volts and have enough cold cranking amps CCA to start the car. Just because a battery fits doesn't mean its right for the car.

last option that I saw here is get a used engine from a wrecked vehicle and have an independent mechanic install it. Make SURE they know something about mb. Keep in mind that you have a AMG so a high mileage engine is ok. Mine has 185k miles and its still a beast. Our engines can do a million miles if taken care of properly. So find a used 1 OR get yours rebuilt by a good shop and don't scrap your beauty. Its worth saving.

I hope this book i just wrote helps 🤣

Last edited by Frankpoz; 08-22-2024 at 07:37 PM.