GLE63s, GLE63, GLE53 AMG SUV & Coupe (W166, W167) 2015 - Present (Two generations)

2022 GLE53 on order

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2021, 05:39 PM

Received 160 Likes on 106 Posts
2019 C300 Cabriolet, 2022 AMG GLE 53
2022 GLE53 on order

After a couple MBs for the wife over the years, I'm getting one for me ;-}

Placed an order for a U.S. 22 GLE53 that my dealer has switched with a stock order for a Feb 01 build start. I added several options, but did want to confirm with the senseis here on option U29 - AMG High-Performance Braking System. This is the one with the silver calipers, as in this picture - correct?

It'll be metallic white with black nappa diamond stitch interior and black nappa dash. No 3rd row. 22" RXU rims. Got every option I wanted except the rear roof spoiler. Need to see more pictures of that before deciding if I want to add it later.

Looking forward to contributing here on the forum again with everyone.

Bob
Old 11-16-2021, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
What are you asking? You posted brakes for a GLA and ask it these are same on a GLE?

Have you viewed GLE53 brake options on mbusa.com?

Build Your Own 2021 AMG GLE 53 4MATIC+ SUV | Mercedes-Benz USA (mbusa.com)
Old 11-16-2021, 03:31 PM

The picture I clipped comes from here - a generic AMG page showing their braking systems (it's not GLA specific, but the words they use include that a car like a GLA could come with these):
https://www.mbusa.com/en/amg/performance/brakes

The mbusa site only has 2021 model info. The picture they use has red calipers.

In 2022, you don't have to order the AMG DYNAMIC PLUS Package (like in 2021) in order to get better brakes. The exact description of this 2022 U29 option eludes me.
I could only guess what my 2022 would have when I added the option U29 - AMG High-Performance Braking System. It does not have the words "w/ red calipers" like the picture on the 2021 mbusa site has. So perhaps I thought it could be the image
from https://www.mbusa.com/en/amg/performance/brakes that has the larger silver calipers.

I thought it was a decent question.
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (11-16-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Doubt any 21 and 22 difference except price. For 2021 the red brake calipers package cost $5,200. The silver brake package is $2,500. mbusa GLE53 options page I linked above has this:

AMG high-performance brakes shed both speed and heat with remarkable power, thanks to sizable internally ventilated discs at all four wheels and substantial silver-painted calipers with AMG lettering. Front discs are also perforated, and measure 15.75 inches. They're grasped by 6-piston fixed calipers. The rear discs are 14.57 inches in diameter.
jaxslk (11-16-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 04:05 PM

Good deal - thanks Kev - that was the answer I sought. Appreciate the help. Wish my salesman was as knowledgeable as the folks here... ;-)
Old 11-17-2021, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Congrats on your new ride. Hope the wife's not gonna be jealous with your new toy. LOL!

If I needed a new ride for 2022 the GLE53 would be top of my list especially since no AMG V8's for 2022.
jaxslk (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 12:01 PM

Received 243 Likes on 155 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
Originally Posted by jaxslk
After a couple MBs for the wife over the years, I'm getting one for me ;-}

Placed an order for a U.S. 22 GLE53 that my dealer has switched with a stock order for a Feb 01 build start. I added several options, but did want to confirm with the senseis here on option U29 - AMG High-Performance Braking System. This is the one with the silver calipers, as in this picture - correct?

Bob
Congratualtions on a great choice -- the GLE53 with the M256 engine plus the 48-volt MGU which gives both great performance and gas mileage.

My 2022 Brilliant Blue GLE53 is on the train from the Baltimore Vehicle Prep. Center (VPC) and the good news is that in spite of the supply chain difficulties, the build sheet is exactly the same as my order. My only regret is that I did not order the brake upgrade which you have mentioned. I am expecting to take possession within the next 2 weeks and will post the final configuration and pricing. Because I ordered long before "Market Adjustments" were placed on most AMG models at every dealer, my dealer has stated that they will hold to MSRP. Plus I have a fleet discount of TBD from membership in the MB Club of America.

I had ordered a GLE580 but with the elimination of V8 for MY2022 (and perhaps for a long time) we switched to a "53" which for me is actually a better choice, based on my rock solid experience with my 2019 CLS53 which has the M256 engine. As you've probably read, there are recurring problems with the 48 volt system but I hope that this GLE53 will be as trouble-free as my CLS53 has been for the past two years.

You've probably read all about the M256 engine, but in case not, here is a link to a great description:

https://www.autoweek.com/news/techno...n-well-see-it/

Last edited by slk55er; 11-17-2021 at 12:06 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by slk55er:
jaxslk (11-17-2021), mikapen (11-17-2021), Neurobit (02-24-2022)
Old 11-17-2021, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,604 Likes on 1,180 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by slk55er
Congratualtions on a great choice -- the GLE53 with the M256 engine plus the 48-volt MGU which gives both great performance and gas mileage.

My 2022 Brilliant Blue GLE53 is on the train from the Baltimore Vehicle Prep. Center (VPC) and the good news is that in spite of the supply chain difficulties, the build sheet is exactly the same as my order. My only regret is that I did not order the brake upgrade which you have mentioned. I am expecting to take possession within the next 2 weeks and will post the final configuration and pricing. Because I ordered long before "Market Adjustments" were placed on most AMG models at every dealer, my dealer has stated that they will hold to MSRP. Plus I have a fleet discount of TBD from membership in the MB Club of America.

I had ordered a GLE580 but with the elimination of V8 for MY2022 (and perhaps for a long time) we switched to a "53" which for me is actually a better choice, based on my rock solid experience with my 2019 CLS53 which has the M256 engine. As you've probably read, there are recurring problems with the 48 volt system but I hope that this GLE53 will be as trouble-free as my CLS53 has been for the past two years.

You've probably read all about the M256 engine, but in case not, here is a link to a great description:

That's a nice write-up on the engine.
Once I saw a YouTube video (now gone) that talked about the first two seconds after the throttle is opened. The design was to eliminate turbo lag in a two step process. First half second - the EQBoost kicks in, and the next second - the Supercharger kicks in. By then, the Turbo should be at full steam. The result is Immediate throttle response.

I was disappointed that the Super- and Turbo-charger aren't on the same axis, as in M-B's F1 engine. Aside from the 2017 article you posted, all the intro info about the AMG53 engine showed the same axis turbo, co-developed with Garrett turbochargers. I guess that's the next gen. But the throttle response is real.
EDIT: Here's a link to one of the intro9 videos that talks about the Garrett same-axis turbocharger.

Hope your 53 arrives soon. It gets noticeably stronger every 2,500 miles.

Last edited by mikapen; 11-17-2021 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-17-2021, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by slk55er

Really great link to the engine article - thanks, I had not seen that. Will read in detail this week! Like you, I initially wanted the GLE580 too, but alas, we know that unicorn story for MY 2022.

Wife has a 2019 Lunar Blue c300 Cab at the moment, and she loves her ride. I need a bit more room and am tired of 80k+ pickup trucks with no real luxury features like you'd find on the top-line mfg's vehicles. Since we finished our last project of a garden pathway with 4 tons of fieldstone, I am ready to pass the truck off and get something less workhorse like an SUV. The GLE 53 seems spot on - powerful engine, nice handling, awesome dash, good stereo, great comforts inside, MB quality, and just 2 rows of seats (kids are long out of the house, don't want 3 rows). I added the driver assist, park assist, lighting, warmth/comfort, 22" AMG forged cross spokes, augmented video, black nappa seats (diamond stitch), nappa dash, nappa steering wheel, junior AMG brake pkg, AMG perf exhaust, heated/vent seats with massage, heated SW, heated rear seats, pano roof, soft close doors, and burmester pro stereo (gotta have a subwoofer). Neighbor has a F-pace with too many issues. Cayenne dash layout is not to my liking nor the seats. LX600 has a grille that I cannot see myself riding in. The rovers are nice but those new smooth/curved line doors are not my style either. Rather amorphous. Audi was my second choice but I liked the GLE more when I tallied up the mental points. Audi is making some fine cars lately.

Brilliant Blue is amazing - my second choice really, but the diamond white calls to me for the last 6 vehicles it seems LOL. If nothing else, I'm predictable. I need to read more about the 48-volt system issues - had not really seen those posts yet but will search more. What is the issue, exactly? Hoping they get the bugs worked out before my Feb build start.

Last edited by jaxslk; 11-17-2021 at 03:55 PM.
mikapen (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,604 Likes on 1,180 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Really great link to the engine article - thanks, I had not seen that. Will read in detail this week! Like you, I initially wanted the GLE580 too, but alas, we know that unicorn story for MY 2022.

Wife has a 2019 Lunar Blue c300 Cab at the moment, and she loves her ride. I need a bit more room and am tired of 80k+ pickup trucks with no real luxury features like you'd find on the top-line mfg's vehicles. Since we finished our last project of a garden pathway with 4 tons of fieldstone, I am ready to pass the truck off and get something less workhorse like an SUV. The GLE 53 seems spot on - powerful engine, nice handling, awesome dash, good stereo, great comforts inside, MB quality, and just 2 rows of seats (kids are long out of the house, don't want 3 rows). I added the driver assist, park assist, lighting, warmth/comfort, 22" AMG forged cross spokes, augmented video, black nappa seats (diamond stitch), nappa dash, nappa steering wheel, junior AMG brake pkg, AMG perf exhaust, heated/vent seats with massage, heated SW, heated rear seats, pano roof, soft close doors, and burmester pro stereo (gotta have a subwoofer). Neighbor has a F-pace with too many issues. Cayenne dash layout is not to my liking nor the seats. LX600 has a grille that I cannot see myself riding in. The rovers are nice but those new smooth/curved line doors are not my style either. Rather amorphous. Audi was my second choice but I liked the GLE more when I tallied up the mental points. Audi is making some fine cars lately.

Brilliant Blue is amazing - my second choice really, but the diamond white calls to me for the last 6 vehicles it seems LOL. If nothing else, I'm predictable. I need to read more about the 48-volt system issues - had not really seen those posts yet but will search more. What is the issue, exactly? Hoping they get the bugs worked out before my Feb build start.
Your impressions of the competition are similar to mine. The ARC suspension was the tie-breaker for me, with the big brakes in that package. I agree on the Cayenne seats / dash. The rear steering on the Porsche and Audi were tempting, though.

I intended to get the High End Burmester, since I was very impressed with it in my '20 450, but it got left out of the build. Almost cancelled, but then the supply chain issues hit. I keep rationalizing that I get a spare tire (collapsible) instead of the subwoofer. Instead, the plain Burmester is OK. You'll love those premium Nappa leather seats, and the leather throughout that goes with it.
Not to mention the car itself. It's a classic.
jaxslk (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 07:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2023 GLE 53
Thanks for the great article on the new engine! I too had ordered a GLE580 to replace my ML550 and had the exact issues you described. MB cancelled the order and we replaced it with a GLE53. I optioned it out and did a Diamond white with Macchiato interior. The dealer just told me today it is being built right now, and we will get it at MSRP. I intend to use the MB Club discount as well. Now the final wait with a hope to have it before the end of the year, and with options built as ordered. We shall see.
Old 11-18-2021, 12:14 PM

I need to read more about the 48-volt system issues - had not really seen those posts yet but will search more. What is the issue, exactly? Hoping they get the bugs worked out before my Feb build start.
Here is a thread that has been started to track the 48-volt problem which seems to be either due to a bad batch of batteries or an improper painted ground strap:

https://mbworld.org/forums/general-m...ml#post8456568

Also, here is a link to an extensive 5-page discussion of the problem:

https://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe...problem-6.html

Old 11-18-2021, 12:26 PM

48-volt mini-supercharger and F1 Technology on the "53" series vehicles

I don't know if Mercedes has it's own design/build unit for this, but here is a video of the equivalent Borg-Warner unit:

and here is my take of the crossover technology from the AMG Formula 1 program that is incorporated into our M256 engines:

https://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe...e-hybrids.html

jaxslk (11-18-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 10:18 PM

Great write up on the 48v hybrid motor / battery system. Fascinating how complex these modern engines are getting. In prior turbo vehicles, there was often a case to be made for using catch-can appliances to remove excess oil from the exhaust gases as they recirculate. Albeit moot to some, I can appreciate the science in scavenging these to keep the engine clean and perhaps postpone other maintenance / cleaning down the road as the car ages. Anything like that been discussed for these I6 hybrid engines? I'm skeptical about modding the new car, but am curious about what others think who know more about this than me.
Old 01-14-2022, 01:12 PM

Checked on the build today - production date moved forward a couple days from 2/6 to 2/3, so that is nice.

Several other options besides the wireless charger (I don't care about this being missing) that were looking OK back in late NOV are now showing as NOT available--> (for me and this build, anyway - YMMV) the augmented video, dashcam, and the heated/cooled cupholders.

Everything else looks good so far - fingers crossed. If inspection goes well at the plant, it could leave on a car trailer to head to FL in the FEB 7-15 range, so I should have it soon. Will post pics of course ;-)
Old 01-14-2022, 05:05 PM

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
2022 AMG GLE63S
Checked on the build today - production date moved forward a couple days from 2/6 to 2/3, so that is nice.

Several other options besides the wireless charger (I don't care about this being missing) that were looking OK back in late NOV are now showing as NOT available--> (for me and this build, anyway - YMMV) the augmented video, dashcam, and the heated/cooled cupholders.

Everything else looks good so far - fingers crossed. If inspection goes well at the plant, it could leave on a car trailer to head to FL in the FEB 7-15 range, so I should have it soon. Will post pics of course ;-)
I just left the dealer a couple of hours ago. They warned me about the potential of the passenger seat memory and the hot and cold cupholders potentially being left off. All good. Leave off my upgraded Burmester and I may just walk on the order... They tell me that they try to save/outfit the top models in a line (the GLE53) with as much as possible, while possibly limiting availability on the lower models in the line.
jaxslk (01-14-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here's a pic of the GLE53 Red AMG High-Performance Braking System. This front caliper looks quite different from what I posted above from MBUSA website. Front caliper looks like a rear caliper:

New 2022 Mercedes-Benz GLE AMG® GLE 53 Sport Utility in Boerne #NA668574 | Mercedes-Benz of Boerne (mbboerne.com)

Old 01-30-2022, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 373 Likes on 325 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Originally Posted by E55 KEV
Here's a pic of the GLE53 Red AMG High-Performance Braking System. This front caliper looks quite different from what I posted above from MBUSA website. Front caliper looks like a rear caliper:

New 2022 Mercedes-Benz GLE AMG® GLE 53 Sport Utility in Boerne #NA668574 | Mercedes-Benz of Boerne (mbboerne.com)

These are "standard" 53 calipers painted red (normally are in silver, maybe red color is a new "option" for otherwise same calipers for '22?) and "standard" 53 rotors.
AMG High-Performance Braking System available with Red or Silver calipers and massive 2-piece rotors is a totally different animal.
mikapen (02-01-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 05:41 PM

Hmmmm, the build sticker is fuzzy but I don't see the $2500 option listed for the high performance brakes, nor the $5010 DT1 package that would also get you the larger brakes (red painted). That said, I have not yet seen the standard brake calipers painted red like this one has. Strange indeed. I ordered the DT1 with mine. I checked yesterday and it should build this Thursday - Friday. I'll know more soon about what got left off. Fingers crossed.
Old 01-30-2022, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LOL! That would be really crazy if the MBZ dealer painted the calipers! They do look weird.
Old 01-30-2022, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This looks like the real ones here:

New 2022 Mercedes-Benz AMG® AMG® GLE 53 Sport Utility in Wichita #57AD287N | Walser Auto Campus

Old 01-30-2022, 07:15 PM

Yep, that's it. I've also noted that the front rotors are drilled and slotted on the upgraded brakes. Standard are just drilled.
Old 01-31-2022, 02:34 PM

2022 AMG GLE63S
Originally Posted by E55 KEV
I want to know if this picture has a filter on it? I have the 21” wheels ordered as part of my GLE53 spec, but the lighter portions of the wheel are much lighter silver; they sure aren’t this beautiful gun metal gray. I saw no such option, so filter/edit?
Old 01-31-2022, 04:00 PM

Wheel code for those is RWE according to the VIN on the listing. Might be the camera as you suspect - does look darker grey.....
Old 01-31-2022, 04:16 PM

2022 AMG GLE63S
Wheel code for those is RWE according to the VIN on the listing. Might be the camera as you suspect - does look darker grey.....
Same wheel code as my spec sheet. I wish they truly were as dark as they look in your picture…

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2022 GLE53 on order