GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014
View Poll Results: What Models Are You Interested In?
Acura RDX
4.41%
Audi Q5 (All New)
19.12%
BMW X3 (Fresh Redesign Coming)
17.65%
Land Rover LR3
1.47%
Mercedes Benz GLK (All New)
80.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Not Much Interest In The GLK?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Question Not Much Interest In The GLK?

Doesn't seem to be much interest in the GLK on this forum. I only say this because over on the C class board its been flying off the hook with people interested in the 2009 model and the only changes there are very minor. This GLK is an all new model and yet it isn't getting much hype around here and we are all supposed to be Benzophiles. Hope the GLK doesn't go the way of the R class, the R class is a Swiss Army Knife in plastic knife clothing, everyone underestimates it simply because they haven't given it an honest shake. To this point the R class board sees a new post about once or twice a month while the C board is going off the hook. Lets hope the GLK can pick up some more interest as it looks to be a great model.

Heres a poll featuring other models in the GLK class range, you can vote for more than one. I didn't include such models as the A4 Estate, BMW 3 Series Estate, or Mercedes Benz C Estate, although I would consider them as competition as well.

Last edited by chilledbenz; 08-26-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 183 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
SUVs don't have much market power at the moment.

The fact no diesel is coming to USA doesn't help.

The fact some have described the looks of a GLK as "Subaru Forester with Chinese copy of Mercedes grille" maybe doesn't help either.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Mercedes R350 2WD
The fact that diesel is over over $4.00/gallon here in the state so no one will buy one thats why...
Old 08-26-2008, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
A Bluetec version is actually on the agenda to compete with the new X3 diesel, but there hasn't been an official date set as to when it will become available.

I'm with ya on the $4.00 diesel, its more like $5.00 diesel these days. On some diesel engines where the gas mileage is increased by 10 mpg over the gasoline version I see it as being beneficial. For Benz they seem to struggle with getting more than 5 miles more per gallon over their gasoline engines (R350 compared to R320) Maybe the Bluetec is different, but from my understanding all Bluetec is really offering is a cleaner alternative to conventional diesel engines and isn't improving mpg over the older 320 diesel engine.

Ah...but could you just imagine a vehicle the size of the GLK with all that torque from a diesel engine. It would be a total monster!

Last edited by chilledbenz; 08-26-2008 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:20 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 CLA Motorsport Edition, 2015 G550, 2012 GLK350
The GLK section will pick up traffic when people can actually see it and drive it.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I do not understand the point of a GLK. It does not have real off-road capability, nor to people need that capability. It seems like a lesser C-estate, which would be my first choice in this segment.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:55 PM

1963 220Sb
Once it is released and people actually see it in the flesh, people will be talking about it more on the forums. It will be a runaway sales success...
Old 08-27-2008, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by PHYBENZ
Once it is released and people actually see it in the flesh, people will be talking about it more on the forums. It will be a runaway sales success...
Lol..runaway sales success is going out on a limb. No car in this segment has been a runaway success. The X3 which started the luxo mini ute craze nearly died in its first two years due to poor judgment in interior materials and high pricing. It wasn't till they gave it the mid model refresh and updated things inside and out and went with a better pricing system that it started to pick up. I do think Benz was smart in waiting to see how the rest of the competition paned out before they brought their car to the market. I'm all for the GLK, but I'm with the other poster, it would be nice to see a C Estate here and have the option of choosing. Maybe if they made the Estate a sold to order option, that way they can cut down on losses that would occur due to having two similar vehicles on the same lot.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:55 AM

2012 ML-350 BT
Certainly Interested

While there seems to be some buzz around this vehicle, the board is certainly quiet - at least in contrast to the new C-Class.

I currently drive a B-Class and am thinking about this vehicle. What appeals to me is the additional passenger space. The cargo space seem to be very close. All based on published specs. I would prefer a diesel to get similar gas mileage as the B-Class. A good friend drives a diesel X3 in Germany and we are close to par on fuel consumption.

I look forward to taking it out for a spin. Rear passenger and cargo space are vital while keeping as small footprint as possilbe - both green and packing space wise.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:20 AM

Lexus IS 350 F Sport
I can see myself getting this as my "next" car in a few years i may have a baby or two and i think this would be perfect !! I really cannot see myself in one of them minivans (with all due respect to all van owners) Its a nice mix of looks and practicality i orginally thought the ML would be the next ride but this would fit me better i think
Old 09-01-2008, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by omgitselaine
I can see myself getting this as my "next" car in a few years i may have a baby or two and i think this would be perfect !! I really cannot see myself in one of them minivans (with all due respect to all van owners) Its a nice mix of looks and practicality i orginally thought the ML would be the next ride but this would fit me better i think
Why would the GLK be any better for a baby than a C class or other sedan/wagon?
Old 09-02-2008, 10:15 AM

2012 ML-350 BT
GLK and C-Class Estate

You raise a good point. In Canada, the C-Class estate (or wagon as it's called here) is not available. This leaves me with staying with a B-Class, an E-Class estate, or an SUV. I really enjoy my B-Class because of the ample cargo space, and the generous leg room for back seat passengers. On the minus side, I find the shoulder room insufficient. This is particularly the case when I have two adults and young boy in the back seat.

I test drove a C-Class sedan and found the shoulder room much better, but the leg room was quite the other way around. I also found it difficult to get in and out of the back seat. This would be worse for my in-laws who are in their 70s. They are the ones who spend the most time in the back seat with my son.

I have contrasted the technical space specs of the B-Class and the GLK and the GLK may have an avantage. However, I do not know if the paper comparisson has enough fidelity. I really look forward to having a look and trying out all of the sitting position and evaluating the cargo space.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:36 PM

Lexus IS 350 F Sport
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
Why would the GLK be any better for a baby than a C class or other sedan/wagon?
Well i guess the perception of having more room helps but in reailty its probably the same amount of space no ?? Well i also guess that its a nice excuse to get a new ride in a year or so !!
Old 09-03-2008, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350 4Matic
I dont know which will have more cubic space, wagons are longer but GLK will be taller. At the end of the day I find that a truck like the GLK will be much more usefull to my life style. Outdoor activities, gear I would take, ride hight, and 4matic is the big one. GLK all the way!!!

But im still waiting for my C350 4matic in the mean time. I gota have a car and a truck like car. Yes the GLK is not really a truck but I dont need or want a real truck, I just want the advantages of a truck like car.

Last edited by 451/443=EW; 09-03-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:59 PM

MB
Scanned from my GLK teaser 4-page brochure... I'll reserve my comments until I actually see/drive one in person.
But for now and according to the pics/info, I'll give it a mainly because I'd rather have the wife buy this first before the current-gen X3 she mentioned about.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:28 AM

ML
Thinking of selling the C for this
Old 09-25-2008, 01:46 AM
Almost a Member!

CLS550
Got to test drive one today and was actually amazed by the GLK. It handles very well and has great acceleration. Nice and roomy inside and laid out very well. Much better than the X-3 imo
Old 09-25-2008, 03:52 AM

Mercedes A-Class (W169)
Originally Posted by designo_cls
Got to test drive one today and was actually amazed by the GLK. It handles very well and has great acceleration. Nice and roomy inside and laid out very well. Much better than the X-3 imo
How come you got to test drive it and we event can't see one in real life? :-)

With what engine was it? How was it in terms of ride comfort (suspension and road/engine/wind noise)?
Old 09-28-2008, 03:05 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
I got a hold of one too this past week and took a bunch of pics (also finished our GLK vim interface). The ride is really nice the vehicle handles well. The interior is very much like the C class, just extended back with the hatch space so it works quite well. I think the vehicle will sell quite well since it will be a smaller more economical way to have an MB suv. The only thing that I didnt like about the car was the crappy jap style dimmer knob that they stuck in the dash (see picture 5) which looks like a total after thought.
Attached Thumbnails Not Much Interest In The GLK?-glk1.jpg   Not Much Interest In The GLK?-glk2.jpg   Not Much Interest In The GLK?-glk3.jpg   Not Much Interest In The GLK?-glk4.jpg   Not Much Interest In The GLK?-glk5.jpg  

Old 10-06-2008, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C350 4Matic
So now that you put the vim in can you have 3 different movies going?
Old 10-10-2008, 02:54 PM

wife's car2014 ml350
i want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-14-2008, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
GLK Off-road capability

I do not understand the point of a GLK. It does not have real off-road capability, nor to people need that capability.
Suggest that you read some of the reports available on line re-off-road capability. Google "2010 Mercedes GLK". You would then find that your statement is inaccurate.

Despite the fact that the "Off-road package" is not available in NA, the GLK still has excellent off-road potential, according to the various reviews that I have read.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:53 PM

2012 ML350BTC
Originally Posted by polarbexar
The GLK section will pick up traffic when people can actually see it and drive it.
Exactly. Once it arrives and people see it on the street, the demand will come. Being able to have an SUV at a price comparable to the X3 (poor build quality) and RX (Camry) will bring a lot of people back into the mix who have shyed away because of the $50K+ price tag of the ML's.

Better for the baby too because you don't have to bend down for in/out like you do in a car, and it has tall usable storage that is better than a traditional trunk.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:00 PM

RR Sport / C63
I do not understand the point of a GLK. It does not have real off-road capability, nor to people need that capability. It seems like a lesser C-estate, which would be my first choice in this segment.

I think it suits those who want the look/feel of a C-class, but don't want the sedan car, and would rather have a vehicle with more room inside and can sit higher and feel like they're in a SUV truck or 'urban comando' car. If you drive on the streets in LA, sometimes you would much rather drive in a SUV than in a car (which is why I drive my RR more than my C63 half the time).

The GLK looks cool, and the wife wants one (fortunately more now than the X3 she was looking at) so I'm eager to see it in person here soon.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by SteveMondragon
I think it suits those who want the look/feel of a C-class, but don't want the sedan car, and would rather have a vehicle with more room inside and can sit higher and feel like they're in a SUV truck or 'urban comando' car. If you drive on the streets in LA, sometimes you would much rather drive in a SUV than in a car (which is why I drive my RR more than my C63 half the time).
Couldn't agree more.

Originally Posted by SteveMondragon
The GLK looks cool, and the wife wants one (fortunately more now than the X3 she was looking at) so I'm eager to see it in person here soon.
I am in the same boat. Ever since I got the GL 450 my wife has been wanting an SUV too and loves the fact that GLK is not as big as GL.