GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

test drove the GLK today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 SL550; '09 GL550; '11 E550
test drove the GLK today

My dealer finally got their GLK350 demo today and I was the first to drive it. The car looks great in person, especially in white, better than the pictures we have seen. Its small, but appears to be larger than the BMW X3. It had the 20" wheels which filled the wells nicely. They were 235/45 but I think the rears should have been wider.

Driving impressions: I drove it for about 15-20 minutes. It needs to be broken in, esecpailly the brakes as it had 22 miles on it! Its got some good pick-up and shifts gears quickly with the 7-speed trany. It handled nicely as well and drives like a bigger car. Little body role into a corner, but I was not beating on it. Stearing was good and commnuicative. I defnitely felt in control of the car as it instills confindence imediately. You defnitely don't get the impression your in something that small. I liked the driving position, more upright with a commanding view of the road ahead of you as the windsield is more vertical than the ML or GL. I did have a problem looking out the right side window with a pessenger as I had to have my seat back and his head was in the way! Small car problem i guess.

The interior closely resembles the new C class but it comes together well. It felt wider sitting in it than the C does. Back seats were fine, a bit tight but not as bad as the C. Rear storage area was larger than I expected. Even more under the floor panel that you would think. Well thought out. Getting in an out of the car was tough however, esecpailly from the back seat and I kept hitting my leg on the running board regardless of what seat I was in.

I thought the build quality overall was good for what your paying. No rattles. Everything comes together nicely and I really like the position of the nav screen. Very easy to see while driving and to operate with the control knob on the center console. Top end Stereo sounded good. It had the dual pano roof which is a nice touch. Sun roof slides open on top on the outside, but did not drive it open so no idea what the noise would be like. Heated seats got hot fast to the point where I had to turn them off!

Overall I was impressed and think MB will sell everyone they can bring over. In my situation, I think the car is not right for me. I think the younger crowd late 20's, mid-30's will really be attracted to it. It kind of says Gen X but in a high quality way. I need some more room and really want to get into the new E when it comes out in another year or so. I will likely either keep my current E350 and extend the lease or get into another one for a short period. If anyone has any specific questions about the GLK ask and I will try to give you my feedback based on today's drive.

Good luck...
Old 12-05-2008, 12:05 AM

'09 SL550; '09 GL550; '11 E550
That they did. I really do like the car and think they will do very well with it. The overall quality is excellent for the price point as well. My local dealership is excited to have something new and cost effective to sell in this market. It makes the ML look really dated and boring. If it was a tad bigger I could see myself in it, but the new E class should be another exciting new car for Benz so that's my plan. I already have a GL which we love for long trips, so another SUV even the small GLK is redundant.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:18 AM

BMW 325iX Sport Wagon, Range Rover
Also got a short test drive today. It seems the OC, CA dealers all got a white demo with the 7 spoke 20s, black MB-tex / aluminum trim, and nav/sound upgrade.

The car looks so much better in person. The 7-spoke 20s look great in person. I did not expect to like the 7 spoke wheels. The car just looks right. It looks much better than X3 or strange Volvo XC.

Short, limited test drive on freeway and newport hills was impressive, but left a few questions for more complete test drive. Steering did not firm up at speed as much as I expected. Steering is very responsive/crisp, but feels a little light at 75 mph. Not sure if car was in sport or comfort mode, but shifts and gas input seemed a bit odd. I think this is me not being used to feel and shift point character. Straight line go power was excellent, quiet no wind noise at 75 mph. Very good over pavement cracks etc and 20/45 tires did not create noise or harsh feel. Very nice ride. Did not really get chance to test cornering and body lean. Car does feel like a Mercedes and a bigger one at that.

Dealer could not find answer to what is premium interior lighting that comes with leather package. Dealers don't seem to know much or have specific order details.

I was impressed with the car, but one important test remains. will a card table, four lawn chairs, cooler and folding mini bbg for tail gate party fit in the back without folding down seats? If the card table will fit, I am sure we can fit the rest.

Really liked the car. Looks and feels head and shoulders above options, IMHO.

Last edited by MtnMachine; 12-06-2008 at 01:22 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:21 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2022 GLC300 white, 2021 Taycan RWD silver
I drove it last week also.

I am now on my second X3, a car which I purchased to replace my C240 wagon. Compared to my X3, I found the GLK more substantial, heavier feeling, with good acceleration. Maybe a lower center of gravity, less roll than I sometimes feel in the X3.

On the negative, it feels smaller to me than the X3, narrower inside, less headroom and less space in the rear. I also found less visibility from driver's seat. The standard MB tex looks fine but even standard X3 has wood, which I like the appearance of.

This will appeal to people who want Mercedes, but the styling is very conventional. It looks like a Subaru Forrester to me, even in person. I hope they sell a lot of them because once X3 replacement comes out I think they'll be left in the dust.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:07 PM

Boylston, like you, I like the wood look and it will be a no cost option after March 09. MB has some kind of supplier delivery problem with the wood that has caused wood to be delayed in North America. I am going to order/buy GLK just as soon as the wood is available with the black/cashmere interior.

Not sure about your headroom comment. The GLK, even with a sunroof has unusuallly good headroom. The auto sunroof shade is first class and creates a nice lighting affect. GLK does seem slightly narrower than X3, but I think the interior design, quality and controls are better quality than the X3.

After two test drives, I agree that the car has good body lean control and I was much more impressed with 7 speed trans in my more aggressive, second test drive. In sport mode, the GLK is very quick and so smooth off the line. Car really feels like a mercedes thru dips and uneven pavement rockers. Confort or econo mode is very drivable for commuting drive style.

The car is so quiet at freemway speed and the engine has a nice, alomost turbine sound that does not intrude or sound like it is over taxed.

I found the new MB command system controller below armrest very intuitive. Without any intro, I was doing everything I wanted to do with it, while sitting in the car running, waiting for sales guy to return for test drive. I loved the feel and mechanical feedback of the controller.

Last edited by MtnMachine; 12-07-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:16 PM

08 C350 Sport, Palladium Silver, Black Leather, P2, MM
The pictures I had seen of the GLK really came across poorly, in my opinion. The dealer here put a white one out on display earlier this week. It looks so much better than I expected. If I was looking for an SUV, I'd test it, but really we need more towing capacity. Definitely a looker!
Old 12-29-2008, 04:45 PM
MTI
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'85 190E 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
I'm guessing that all the US dealers got the demo GLK in arctic white, black leather/alum trim, Premium package, Multimedia Package, Lighting Package, optional running boards?
Old 12-29-2008, 04:48 PM
Almost a Member!

CLS55, R350
Thanks for sharing! One of the advantages of these 'crossover' type vehicles is the fact that the platform is vehicle based, but the body is alot taller. This yields a ton of wheelwell space, which allows a 20" wheel with 45series aspect ratio! Thats ALOT of tire for such a tall wheel!

I think the GLK is really sharp looking.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
GLK Test Drive

I managed to take my first test drive today. The GLK that I drove had the standard 19" wheel package. They look much better in reality than in the photos. Same can be said of the car. It's handsome, but very purposeful at the same time. Nothing wimpy looking about the GLK !

One note of caution for those tempted by the 20" wheel package: if you intend doing any off-roading, I would suggest that you stick with the standard 19" wheel/tire set. Furthermore, the availability of 20" tire replacements in NA (in the size required by the GLK) is currently zilch. Good luck to any GLK owner out in the boonies with a 20" flat tire that needs to be replaced.

As far as driving is concerned, I was very impressed with the overall feeling of immense solidity and refinement. The car does not feel nor ride like a typical SUV. Many experts who have driven the GLK suggest it is very much like driving a C Class. I would have to agree, but it feels larger and more solid than a C Class (at least compared to my wife's C350 Sport).

The GLK rides extremely well, steers precisely and has very powerful brakes with good feel. The visibility in all directions is excellent, but the available Parktronic would be useful for parking situations.

The interior is well designed and has ample room. The front seats have a large range of adjustment and the driver's seat has 4 way adjustable lumbar support to compliment the main seat switches. There are decent storage bins, including a large, ventilated glove box. You could actually secure some significant items in this glove box, like a DSLR camera and extra lenses.

There is plenty of room in the back seat for two adults; in fact these seats are very comfortable. I would not hesitate to sit back there on a long trip.
The only negatives about the rear seating area are the relatively tiny storage bins in the doors.

The first stage of my test drive took me through some snow clogged streets, where the 4Matic system was tested and found to be tractor like in its traction. I was surprised by the decent performance of the 19" Dunlop Grandtrek tires in deep, slushy snow conditions.

On the highway, the GLK has good pick-up and the engine performs with great refinement. Compared to my E320, the GLK has slightly more road noise, but there was no apparent wind noise, at least to my degraded ears.

Overall, IMO, the GLK is a very well designed and executed machine. It offers many of the ML features and benefits in a more compact, easier to park package, but the GLK rides better, accelerates faster, and feels just as solid. The GLK also has vastly better visibility than the ML. Compared to a similar optioned ML, a GLK with PP, Command, Bi-zenons, HK sound, Sat Radio and real leather is about CD$17,000 less than the ML (comparing prices in Canada).

To me, that makes the GLK a relative bargain .
Old 12-30-2008, 06:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I need to get by a dealer for a test drive. Any impressions on how it compares to the X3?

Also, is everyone driving the GLK out of curiosity, or are some people seriously thinking of buying one?
Old 12-30-2008, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by mkaresh
I need to get by a dealer for a test drive. Any impressions on how it compares to the X3?

Also, is everyone driving the GLK out of curiosity, or are some people seriously thinking of buying one?
The GLK rides much better than a X3 and it has better performance, IMO.
Then there is the value for dollar question with the GLK again coming out on top.
Yes, I have placed my order for a GLK, February production. Loaded with most options, it came out to CD$52,965 (US$43,431). The same car with the same options in Germany sells for 55,000 Euros or CD$88,000 !!! The GLK is a bargain in North America !
Old 12-31-2008, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by mkaresh

My opinion, based solely on looks, is that GLK is a lot more stylish than an X3. The clean bold lines and the almost upright windshield really set it apart.

My wife wants one and it's small enough that she will feel like she is driving a car.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
I finally drove a GLK for a small ride. It drives just like a C class and rides nice. Being used to a GL 450, I found the engine to be a bit slow but I think that is simply because I am used to a bigger engine.

Brake feel was nice too.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:16 PM

993 Twin Turbo
Wifey and I test drove the GLK today for the first time. Put a deposit down on the inbound shipment on the 8th.

We originally were ready to pull the trigger on a new X3 since we are selling our 330CI ZHP car. My wife needs more room for work related stuff to haul around. Anyhow, we saw the GLK online and liked it. Now we drove it, and like it more.

Dealer wouldnt tell us where we are in line, but we'll see what comes in and what the lease rates will be.

Allegedly no dealer markup, and on the other side, probably no discounting.

BTW, my first post here, like the place thus far, thanks for all of your input!!
Old 01-02-2009, 07:45 PM

Colorado dealer and Canadian dealers offering $500 coupon for people that register online with MBsite.

Any word from your SoCal dealer on $500 coupon? Did you specify wood trim? If so, any word on delays?

Nice post, will put $ down just as soon as I know what dealer may actually be able to deliver the soonest.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:55 PM
MTI
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'85 190E 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
Originally Posted by Rennsport
Allegedly no dealer markup, and on the other side, probably no discounting.
As for above-sticker markup, believe that's the policy of all authorized Mercedes-Benz dealerships.

Since the GLK is built in Bremen, I believe it's also eligable for the European Delivery program.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:24 PM

993 Twin Turbo
Originally Posted by MtnMachine
Colorado dealer and Canadian dealers offering $500 coupon for people that register online with MBsite.

Any word from your SoCal dealer on $500 coupon? Did you specify wood trim? If so, any word on delays?

Nice post, will put $ down just as soon as I know what dealer may actually be able to deliver the soonest.
I didnt know about the $500 incentive until we got home, nor could I find anything on the Merc site allowing one to sign up for. Any insight?

Thanks all!
Old 01-02-2009, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 423 Likes on 349 Posts
MB’s
Did you get any prices? I herd around $30,000 for the base model? Is that true?
Old 01-02-2009, 11:30 PM

993 Twin Turbo
Originally Posted by C280 Sport
Did you get any prices? I herd around $30,000 for the base model? Is that true?
~$35k base, demos loaded were $46-something. No word on lease rates.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 745 Likes on 726 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
just sat on GLK350 at the dealer today...

it's better in person...
rear seat doesn't have much legroom tho...
prolly a nice alternative to W204...
Old 01-03-2009, 09:12 PM

Lexus IS 350 F Sport
Originally Posted by Rennsport
~$35k base, demos loaded were $46-something. No word on lease rates.
I got a call from my Mb salesman letting me know he has these in stock as well. I'm sure i can get a decent price on one even though these are new models but im just afraid ill get killed on my c300 4matic that it probably wont be worth it for me to trade up right now uughhhhh