GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

EUROPEAN DELIVERY: 2010 Mercedes-Benz GLK (Canada)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 BMW e92 N54 (x)
Originally Posted by jtuds
Just reviving this super old thread to ask a question I could not find the answer to on the MB website: does Mercedes offer ED on all their vehicles, even SUVs? Just wondering because BMW seeems to only permit ED for cars.

Thanks.
As Alex Bel stated, it's for the vehicles produced in Germany. BMW doesn't do it for their SUV's because those are made in the US. However, their new X1 is made in Germany, so you can do ED on that.

Likewise with Mercedes - the ML and GL are made in the states, so you can't do ED on those. But you can on the GLK (we just got back from our ED trip about 10 days ago) since it's being made in Germany (in Bremen, though they send it over to Sindelfingen for delivery).
Old 03-18-2016, 06:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2007 Honda Civic
I'm on a waiting list for a 2017 Audi SQ5. I live in Canada, and Audi doesn't do European delivery, plus the new SQ5 is going to made in Mexico and well... Mexico delivery, while it might sound nice on the surface, would probably be risky. Not exactly a country to be driving around with a nice car

But with the new AMG GLC 43 being announced and GLC's being available for ED... I could be convinced to switch.

Anyways, has anyone in Canada actually gone through the European Delivery experience? If so, can you please share your experience, along with details of what was covered and extra expenses? The website is very lacking and the dealer may or may not be helpful. I have visited the dealership and have requested information, but I know they would rather sell them directly.

Also it seems like you have fully pay off the car before you can do this. I would need to finance my car and hear that banks aren't super helpful in financing cars that don't actually exist yet. Is this really true, and is this just a Mercedes thing?
Old 03-19-2016, 11:38 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 GLK250BT, Polar White; 2016 GLE 300d, Polar White
Originally Posted by kmarnes

Also it seems like you have fully pay off the car before you can do this. I would need to finance my car and hear that banks aren't super helpful in financing cars that don't actually exist yet. Is this really true, and is this just a Mercedes thing?
I paid $2000 deposit to my ordering dealer for the ED order ( in US) and financed her with Mercedes Financial (at 3.49% I think). About 15 days before trip I paid my downpayment and the rest with the loan. The problem with other banks was they wanted to have a title within 30 days of purchase, which is impossible with ED. Mercedes Financial does not have problem with waiting for a title for their car longer. Two months later when car arrived and I took delivery I've refinanced now used car with Chase for much lower rate (1.49%). Technically car was used, but with just 700 miles they still considered her new (almost).
Old 03-20-2016, 12:35 PM

2007 Honda Civic
Originally Posted by Alex Bel
I paid $2000 deposit to my ordering dealer for the ED order ( in US) and financed her with Mercedes Financial (at 3.49% I think). About 15 days before trip I paid my downpayment and the rest with the loan. The problem with other banks was they wanted to have a title within 30 days of purchase, which is impossible with ED. Mercedes Financial does not have problem with waiting for a title for their car longer. Two months later when car arrived and I took delivery I've refinanced now used car with Chase for much lower rate (1.49%). Technically car was used, but with just 700 miles they still considered her new (almost).
Thanks, that's super helpful!
Old 04-06-2016, 06:06 PM

2007 Honda Civic
Alright, I finally got some real information. It's not looking so good for us Canadians.

Basically, there's no discount, you have to pay for the entire car upfront and you cannot finance it through Mercedes to get around that. And you also have to put down an additional 19% of the cars value as a export deposit that you get back later once the car arrives in Canada.

I did not receive this info from the dealer. I emailed Mercedes Canada directly and they responded. Here is the full text of what I received:
Thank you for taking the time to contact us, we appreciate your interest in Mercedes-Benz products.

Please note that currently the GLC300 is available in the European Delivery Program. However, the GLC43 AMG is scheduled to launch in the beginning of the fourth quarter of 2016, and as such, we recommend inquiring with your local Mercedes-Benz dealership at the end of 2016 for this vehicle in the 2017 European Delivery Program.

Nevertheless, I’d like to provide you with some more information about our European Delivery Program.

Please note that the European Delivery Program is designed to provide customers with an opportunity to use their new Mercedes-Benz vehicle while visiting Europe temporarily (for a maximum of 12 months), and the cost of a vehicle ordered through the European Delivery Program will be higher than that of a vehicle purchased in Canada.

Vehicles purchased through the European Delivery Program must be paid in full 35 days in advance of the delivery at the Delivery Centre in Sindelfingen, outside Stuttgart. As such, this program is not available for leased or financed vehicles.

Vehicles delivered under the European Delivery Program are delivered tax and duty free at the Delivery Centre in Sindelfingen, outside Stuttgart. The delivery times are from 8am - 4pm Monday through Friday, except legal German holidays. Canadian duties (approximately 6.1%) and taxes are assessed on the vehicle once it's imported into Canada. An export deposit of approximately 19% of the purchase price is required with full payment of the vehicle due 35 days in advance of delivery. This export deposit is completely refundable once the vehicle is imported and registered/plated in a Canadian province (this must be within 12 months of pick-up in Germany). This program also offers a convenient return-shipping package to Canada and delivers the vehicle back to your selling dealership or nearest Mercedes-Benz dealership for pickup.

Benefits of the European Delivery Program (Canada) are as follows:

Sindlefingen Factory tour available on date of pickup
A taxi coupon for a ride from the Stuttgart Airport to Delivery Centre or to Downtown Stuttgart
Full tank of fuel
15 days road insurance

Furthermore, the International Customs Plates on the vehicle at time of delivery have a duration period that corresponds with the term of road insurance purchased. For example, if you want to use the vehicle for three months, three months of road insurance must be purchased. If no additional road insurance is purchased, the plates are good for a maximum of 15 days. The maximum length of time for the plates is 12 months.

For more information regarding the European Delivery Program, such as how long the vehicle needs to be ordered before you visit, please contact your local Mercedes-Benz dealership, they can provide more detailed information on delivery options, delivery locations, pricing and fees, and can confirm which vehicles qualify under this program.
To locate your local Mercedes-Benz dealership, please click here.
All in all, very disappointing.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:58 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 GLK250BT, Polar White; 2016 GLE 300d, Polar White
Originally Posted by kmarnes
Alright, I finally got some real information. It's not looking so good for us Canadians.

All in all, very disappointing.
Very much agree. No formal discount unless you negotiate with your ordering dealer.
As I said in US it was simple 10% off MSRP ( 7%+3% dealer courtesy ) and destination fee waived and financing with Mercedes Financial. With these 19% VAT I remember was rule that I pay it in Europe if keep the vehicle there for more than 12 months I think.