MB's Tire and Rim protection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
528i, GLK
MB's Tire and Rim protection

Hey guys,

Did any of you picked up the tire and rim protection? I was given a 1.1-1.3k (person who deals with this wasn't in) for 5 yrs or 100,000k.

The dealer was pretty sure that with 20" tire/rims package and driving in NYC, that I will thank him for recommending this.

(i'm very weary of any car dealers but this is the only thing he is trying to sell, no undercoating or anything else, he even said the extended warranty should be picked up around yr 3 or so)
Old 03-22-2009, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
So would it cover every set of tires that you will own? Over 100k you will go through 4-5 sets. You can do the math. One tire is 300-400 so if you go through 4 tire replacements it's worth it. I had to replace low profile tires twice in 2 years. And technically it would have been more, but other bubbles were really small so I just kept them the way they are. With 19 inch rims I'd say not worth it, with 20's go for it. However, keep in mind, if you decide to go with difference brand of tires, some of them have also warranty against bubbles.

Also on extended warranty, if you are gonna pick it up at year 3 you will pay a lot more for it. I'm getting extra 3 years so it'll be 7 years/75k miles for 2600. It's also transferable if you decide to sell your car.

Hope this helps
Old 03-22-2009, 01:48 PM

528i, GLK
Thanks NYCGLK,

its 15% extra if you decided to get it later on. I have one month to decide, used to be upto one year.

As for the tires, its against blown outs but not tread wears, I should have more details when they contact me. Have you had RIMs damaged? he was claiming that having one RIM damaged will pay for the warranty itself...
Old 03-22-2009, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
1.1 to 1.3 seems high for Tire and Rim protection. I remember on GL forum people reported getting it for around half of that. I would recommend a search there.

Same for extended warranties. MB extended warranty is not as straightforward as it looks when it is being sold. Again, check the GL forum and you will find a wealth of posts.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Not sure if rim protection is necessary, those 20's look very solid, but you are right price of one will pay for it. The main tire problem is not blow outs, it's bubbles. They are very common with low profile tires. If they are not covered don't even bother. Also what I meant is how can tire protection be 100k if your tires last 20-25k if you are lucky, so does it cover next sets as well? Not price of replacement but damage to second, third etc. set.

My sales guy said extended warranty is just like continuation of the original warranty. My main concern with any MB or German car is electric failures (sensors and such) as well as major breakdowns that are unlikely but can happen. Obviously wear and tear items are not covered by protection or warranty.

Feel free to tell me what I'm missing.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
Well I too was wary of my dealer well it was the finance person who had all the lovely ($$$) extras.

I did sign and told them I would make up my mind on the tire when I picked it up 4 days later and they were ok with this. When my insurance company advised me to take it was the surprise and the main reason I decided to take it.

For my lease it was priced out as $499 for 3 years. My Insurance company basically said that when drivers claim these damaged rims and tires they don't realize how much they cost and the insurance company treats it as an accident claim.

As far as I know its not for wear and tear, its in the event that you slide off the road or hit the curb and damage the rim or tire that this policy comes into effect. Assuming that a leasee will want to look new after totalling a rim or two its for this reason its offered, as long as its drivable I dont think MB cares if you drive it like that, just dont return it like that at lease end
Old 03-22-2009, 09:42 PM

2010 GLK
Leslielp is correct...

Same thing with my purchase...the finance guy is the "closer" with all the extras.

I decided to go with the tire and rim protection package also.
Indeed it is for the pothole or curb hit...not wear and tear.
I was told it covers snow tires and rims also...whatever is on the vehicle at the time of the mishap.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
My sales guy said extended warranty is just like continuation of the original warranty. My main concern with any MB or German car is electric failures (sensors and such) as well as major breakdowns that are unlikely but can happen. Obviously wear and tear items are not covered by protection or warranty.

Feel free to tell me what I'm missing.
Sales guys have been known to not realize how MB extended warranty works. Check this thread and you will find some great details.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:36 AM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by oknish
Sales guys have been known to not realize how MB extended warranty works. Check this thread and you will find some great details.
tell me about it, I think I know more about GLK in 15mins of playing and reading than my sales guy. He was telling me the parking lights do not work in the US versions and that the c/s stands for comfort and standard.

you would think that it took me literally 30 mins to figure out all these controls and what they stand for from the manual, this is my first MB too....
Old 03-23-2009, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by oknish
Thanks for the great link. I see the tricky part with years vs. miles. Basically if you drive over 50k in under 4 years and something breaks extended warranty covers and then is valid for 1,2 or 3 years depending what you got upto total 70-100k again depending what you got. Bottom line if you drive a lot get high miles AND years not JUST miles.

Good to know where it gets tricky, but in my case I don't think I will put more than 10k per year evenly (I don't drive to work and live in state where things are pretty close) which amounts to under 70K in 7 years. However, climate and roads take a toll on cars in NJ. So I'd rather pay 2600 and not used the warranty than not get it and then need it a lot during last 3 years of ownership.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:46 PM

MY05 Jeep Liberty
Are there any rust proofing/upholstery protection plans available for the GLK? If so, what is the price?
Old 03-23-2009, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
Thanks for the great link. I see the tricky part with years vs. miles. Basically if you drive over 50k in under 4 years and something breaks extended warranty covers and then is valid for 1,2 or 3 years depending what you got upto total 70-100k again depending what you got. Bottom line if you drive a lot get high miles AND years not JUST miles.

Good to know where it gets tricky, but in my case I don't think I will put more than 10k per year evenly (I don't drive to work and live in state where things are pretty close) which amounts to under 70K in 7 years. However, climate and roads take a toll on cars in NJ. So I'd rather pay 2600 and not used the warranty than not get it and then need it a lot during last 3 years of ownership.
You got it.....and I agree for low mileage drivers (myself included) the MB warranty is good. But for high mileage drivers, 3rd party options will most likely be better.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by Jordanski
Are there any rust proofing/upholstery protection plans available for the GLK? If so, what is the price?
Why would you need rust proofing? MB better be making sure that the car is rust proof.

Far as upholstery protection, go with the dealer offering. Less hassles when you need work done under it.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Isn't rust warranty 10 years or something like that?
Old 03-27-2009, 12:18 AM

GLK3504matic
NYCGLK,

I just picked up my GLK in NY-LI. Earlier you mentioned you were getting the extended warranty; do you happen to remember what they quoted you for it? Also I will be commuting into the city from time to time - did you get the wheel and tire plan as well (because i know some of the roads/tunnels/belt parkway are ****).

Thanks

Eric
Old 03-27-2009, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
7yr/75k total was $2600
Old 03-27-2009, 07:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
E430 asked for more details on the Tire - Rim Protection from my dealer.
I have the leaflet that they provided to me.
Its from a company called Diamond Kote:
Peace of Mind: Repair or replacement of a flat tire and/or damaged rim due to road hazard such as potholes, cracks, nails and glass.

Convenient Transferability: Coverage extends to all valid tires placed on your vehicle - including winter tires.
If you vehicle is a total loss due to theft or collision, transfer balance of your coverage to your new vehicle.
If you sell, transfer balance of coverage to new owner.

Curb Damage Coverage: A $50 benefit towards your insurance deductible.
Zero Deductible: Benefit covers taxes, valve stems, mounting and tire balancing.
Towing/Road service: Benefit of up to $100 per claim.
Food and Lodging: Coverage up to $50 a day (up to 3 days), if stranded at least 400km from home.
3-year coverage for new, pre-owned and leased vehicles ...or upgrade to 5 years.
Indemnified by Industrial Alliance Pacific General
Administered by Diamond-Kote Warranty Services Inc.

Thats it.