GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Electric Brake Controller Hookup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320
Electric Brake Controller Hookup

Its a new model, but is anyone aware of electric brake controller hookup for the GLK? Looking at getting one to replace my ML320. While Mercedes did not reccomend any particular brake controller, there was a service bulliton for those wanting to hook an electric brake controller controller up. This was followed on my ML, and it works pe3rfectly.

GLK 350 hs a 7 pin connector, and my trailer is only 2500 lbs, but has electric brakes.

Any guidance or suggestions are very much appreciated.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 570 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by vancev
Its a new model, but is anyone aware of electric brake controller hookup for the GLK? Looking at getting one to replace my ML320. While Mercedes did not reccomend any particular brake controller, there was a service bulliton for those wanting to hook an electric brake controller controller up. This was followed on my ML, and it works pe3rfectly.

GLK 350 hs a 7 pin connector, and my trailer is only 2500 lbs, but has electric brakes.

Any guidance or suggestions are very much appreciated.
If you haven't purchased the GLK yet, would it not be better to get one with the factory Trailer Hitch package? Then you would not have to worry about any other brake controllers, correct?

Bish
Old 04-29-2009, 02:57 PM

ML320
Well, it does have the factory hitch

Factory hitch is on the GLKs I have looked at. However, its the brake controller that is generally an after market item. On most late model trucks and SUVs, under dash has a pin conecter fitting for use with an aftermarket brake controller for electric and hydrolic brakes for trailers and boats. My ML 320 did not have a controller hookup prewired, but was put in afterward using MB wire harneses and service bullitens. this involved splicing into the module near the left rear taillight into the 7 pin connector.

My question is if the GLK has a under dash connector installed for electric brake unit control. I have seen reference to the capabilities of electric brake control in a review of the vehical, but it did not elaborate further. The sales guy at the dealership was no help either. He couldn't tell me, just expressed surprise that a 17 foot travel trailer has electric brakes. In other words, no help.

Anyone have a an answer or a suggestion how I could find out. I could call Mercedes directly, but likely I'll get customer service.

Thanks
Old 04-29-2009, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/data/p...l/2010_glk.pdf

Check this, there is a section on towing starting on page 236. Seems that there is should be an adapter for electric breaks. I have the hitch prep but haven't looked into towing.

EDIT: I checked the interior today, and have no idea where the brake control would be installed. Maybe giving MB a call would clear it up. Keep us posted.

On a side note I check how hitch is installed....$540 is a fair price for it. Of course it cost MB next to nothing, but having this installed after the fact with the same quality will cost easily more than 500 bux.

Last edited by NYCGLK; 04-29-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:10 PM

GLK 350
Brake Controller 2011 GLK 350 Rear Wheel Drive

Has anyone had any experience with installation and operation of brake controller for 2011 GLK 350 Rear Wheel Drive. Towing capacity of 3500 lbs dosen't mean much if there isn't a brake controller available for installation.

Thanks,

Vance
Old 06-20-2012, 07:50 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
The post I have seen prior indicates that most are using a wireless controller. For some reason, Mercedes did not include all the wires in trailer plug connection, but there is enough wires there to power a wireless module.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:59 PM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by dgiturbo
The post I have seen prior indicates that most are using a wireless controller. For some reason, Mercedes did not include all the wires in trailer plug connection, but there is enough wires there to power a wireless module.
Shows how much I know. Wasn't aware a "wireless brake controller" even existed. I'll go hunting. Thanks-- Vance
Old 06-30-2012, 09:54 AM
DHI

'10 ML550, 996 G T 3
I have a wireless controller on my ML.
No mess. No fuss.
Tekonsha RF is what it is called.
A little more expensive, but the saved grief and the fact that the controller unit can be used in ANY car subsequently is worth it.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:42 PM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by DHI
I have a wireless controller on my ML.
No mess. No fuss.
Tekonsha RF is what it is called.
A little more expensive, but the saved grief and the fact that the controller unit can be used in ANY car subsequently is worth it.
Thanks for the info. Have been researching and a couple of other sources have suggested same solution. Expect to order in next couple of weeks. Once installed and used will post the results.

Vance
Old 09-15-2012, 09:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 R320, 2006 E320CDI, 2007 SLK55 AMG
On our glk I wired in my prodigy brake controller into the brake switch under the dash. I believe it was the pink with green tracer wire. I had to run the brake wire to the back plug and run some power and negative to the controller but it was fairly simple.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 GLK 350 4matic, 2014 BMW M235i
From what I understand, the GLK equipped with the factory tow package does not include wiring for electric trailer brakes. The easiest work around is to use a wireless brake system. I purchased a Tekonsha Prodigy RF system, but haven't installed it on my tent trailer yet. From my research, it should be plug-and-play. No additional wiring required on the car. The 7-pin connector included with the factory tow package and hitch should work with the wireless brake controller.

3.5L
Old 09-16-2012, 12:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 R320, 2006 E320CDI, 2007 SLK55 AMG
Ours did not have the factory tow package, so I installed the rear class 3 hitch and then used the curt wiring harness for the lights and ran my own wiring for the brake control. I am not a big fan of wireless anything so I used the wired in brake control and used the stop trigger wire (pink with green) on the brake switch to use a fully wired system. It works like a charm and wired up like most other cars out there.

The only part of the install that confused me was the Curt wiring harness converter, I finally figured out that the tail light and the brake lights used the same single filament bulb only brighter when the brakes apply. Usually cars use a double filament bulb and have a seperate wire for the tail lights and the stop light.

I did use this thread when I searched for info on the brake controller and thought that it would be a good idea to put it here that it is possible to install a wired in brake controller and that the higher priced wireless one isn't a must on these suv's but may be a good option for someone that doesn't want to touch their wiring.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:19 AM

GLK 350
Thanks. Have also discovered prodigy 90250 wireless. Always good to have an option.