GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

running boards vs side skirts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Mercedes Benz GLK; Black; Appearance Package; Multimedia Package; Panorama Roof;
running boards vs side skirts

How do you guys feel about OEM running boards vs side skirts

I know one person said they get in the way

I have a blk glk side skirts, anyone wanna trade for their running board

Otherwise, do you think its worth buying from the dealer for $575

Any idea on how this is installed?
Old 05-12-2009, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
I was the one hitting my calfs every single time getting in and out. Really annoying, and even more so for anybody who you invite into your car. I think it's worth 575 not getting them lol. They look fine, but I don't think they'll make your GLK look any better. If you are into off road look, then get the whole chrome tube set (front, rear and sides), but that goes against the 22inch brabus rim look.

I personally think your ride looks perfect. Maybe smoked taillights and taking out amber reflectors from front lights would be the only addition. Sometimes less is more.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:57 PM

2010 Mercedes Benz GLK; Black; Appearance Package; Multimedia Package; Panorama Roof;
Thanks NYCGLK

You have great insight, I appreciate your input
Old 05-13-2009, 09:40 AM

ml350
My wife just test drove the car again and said, "DO NOT get the running boards".the back of her leg hits, just imagine in the winter.I think they look good though.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:14 AM

Came from a Lexus IS250 AWD
Well - I can't say how much I love the running boards. I have small children that uses them all of the time to get in and out of my vehicle which is a true blessing.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 350X :0
Originally Posted by Ballsofsteel
Well - I can't say how much I love the running boards. I have small children that uses them all of the time to get in and out of my vehicle which is a true blessing.
...that's it! it is great for small ones but not for adults.
I tried numerous times in/out from the rear seats, and hit them every time. I tried not to look at it and that was worst. However, they do like nice, but it is not practical if you want to use it.

My 2 cents...
Old 05-19-2009, 05:56 AM

GLK 350 AWD Steel Grey/Black Interior (3/18/09); E63AMG (5/5/2011)
I know a couple of elderly people who couldn't make it into my car. Could have just used a step stool to get in but that was the only time the sidestep would have been useful if I had it. Would have considered this if it was a regular thing but 99% of the time I'm just by myself or not with people with limited mobility or with kids.

I do see practical application for this for those who need it. Just remember to get your trousers or dress clear of the sidestep when stepping out especially if it's muddy or dirty. Maybe in due time you'll get used to it and it'll just be automatic.

I agree though, they do look nice.

Originally Posted by mr.mbenz
...that's it! it is great for small ones but not for adults.
I tried numerous times in/out from the rear seats, and hit them every time. I tried not to look at it and that was worst. However, they do like nice, but it is not practical if you want to use it.

My 2 cents...
Old 05-19-2009, 06:04 AM

2016 C450 AMG
Yup, they look nice! And that's about it! As far as being useful, it's like having a fork when u really need a spoon. I would not recommend them to anyone! Getting out of that truck with dress pants on is a nightmare in bad weather!
Old 05-19-2009, 11:50 AM

Came from a Lexus IS250 AWD
Well. I don't have a problem with getting out and not touching the running boards. During the 1st 2 weeks, I had to get use to them. But after that, my mind is programmed to avoid them while getting out. Its just like getting use to drinking a bottle of juice without a straw. Just make sure you open your mouth wider to suck the juice for those who always use a straw.