Did anyone here has clear bra on GLK?

is it worth it?

should i do it?
Old 09-11-2009, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Ohh that was me before I got my GLK.

I was very seriouly considering clear bra, as it's my first new car. However, a grand for it made me wonder. There is no reason to spend less, as from what I understand it's all about installer, and good installers charge for their work appropriately. Most of them use either new 3M or Ventureshield. So I said screw it, let's see how GLK holds up on its own, plus I don't commute by car, so highway drives are limited to weekend trips.

So I'm happy I saved my money. I washed and waxed the car the other day, and I have only 3 tiniest chips after 3500 miles, they look like someone took and needle and poked the bumper, that's how small they are. I saw a few clear bras on other cars and you can see the line where it stops, esp. when dusts starts accumulating a bit. So trade off is looking at the still nociable clear bra and saving the look for the next owner, or enjoy the way it is, and if it really gets messed up remaint the bumber (prolly costs about the same).

The only situation I would strongly recomend clear bra is if you drive on highways with lots of other cars at high speeds (80-90mph) on a daily basis. Then the small ships will be accumulating much quicker. But if you mostly drive on empty roads or at slower speeds (50mph), then skip it.

See for yourself that chips can't be seen, I can take more close ups if you really wanna see, if you wish.
https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...ght-shots.html

Look at your CLK and use it as reference point, if you drive in the same area, GLK will prolly have less chips as the newer paint is better (esp. if you get metallic).
Old 09-11-2009, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 CLK 55
Thanks..

GLK is my wife's car and she doesnt drive it very often : )

well.. I guess I will save that money and do something els with it : )

Old 09-11-2009, 03:10 PM

ml350
I like it, but to much money.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:55 PM

GLK 350
It is definitely worth it, but as said above its $$$$. It all depends if you do mostly local driving you will be okay, but if there lots of highway I would get it.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 950 Likes on 571 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
It is worth every penny.

I've had it installed on about 10 vehicles now including the GLK. At trade-in time there simply is no issue with rock chips, etc.

My GLK has the whole front end covered up to about 1/4th of the hood and fender line, plus the headlights and the wing mirrors. Cost: $650. Try getting the front end repainted for that money or replace a plastic cover over a headlight.

Bish
Old 09-14-2009, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
650 is not bad, but in my area the cheapest I found was 850 and 1k from good installers.

I guess to say whether it's worth it we'll have to compare the trade-in value in 5-7 years.

However, if you concerned with trade-in price then you shouldn't trade the car in. I sold prior car to private party (for 3k more than trade-in offered to me) with chips and one scrtach, which waren't even mentioned in negotiations (the rest of the car was in perfect shape with low miles). When the car is 5-7 years old, couple of dings and scratches are expected and barely have an impact on the resale price of the car. Milage, maintance, and options have more of an impact.

I'm not saying clear bra is waste of money, as I mentioned it depends on the road conditions and amount of driving.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:29 AM

528i, GLK
I did the headlights and fog lights myself (also came with door guard) Cost for those cuts was about $50. not bad, I think i can pull off the front hood too.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:25 PM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by webada
I did the headlights and fog lights myself (also came with door guard) Cost for those cuts was about $50. not bad, I think i can pull off the front hood too.
Let us know how it turns out.... On my next trip to my inlaws, do I get a mbworld.org discount for you to do the install
Old 09-16-2009, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 950 Likes on 571 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
650 is not bad, but in my area the cheapest I found was 850 and 1k from good installers.

I guess to say whether it's worth it we'll have to compare the trade-in value in 5-7 years.

However, if you concerned with trade-in price then you shouldn't trade the car in. I sold prior car to private party (for 3k more than trade-in offered to me) with chips and one scrtach, which waren't even mentioned in negotiations (the rest of the car was in perfect shape with low miles). When the car is 5-7 years old, couple of dings and scratches are expected and barely have an impact on the resale price of the car. Milage, maintance, and options have more of an impact.

I'm not saying clear bra is waste of money, as I mentioned it depends on the road conditions and amount of driving.
I rarely keep any car for longer than 2 years; many times much less. So for me, the difference between the trade-in value of a car listed as in good or excellent condition versus fair is important, and can be thousands of dollars. Hence the fact that the clear bra does a great job of protecting the paintwork is worth the installation/purchase cost, and usually by a factor of 2 to 3.

However even if I was keeping a car for many years, the fact that that car was in pristine condition throughout my ownership due in part to the clear bra, would still make the purchase worthwhile. YMMV of course.

Bish
Old 09-16-2009, 03:00 PM

GLK 4Matic
I have it on my MINI and I love it. I told my wife I would get it for the GLK and she told me that she didn't want it. Also, I've been trading in cars for over 30 years and it seems to not matter if you have a few chips. I'm squeamish about driving behind any vehicles, especially big rigs and I always park somewhere so I don't get door dings. Even with a detailed trade-in with minimal front chips and little to no door dings, I get the same trade-in allowance as if I didn't. So for all of that rant, I don't think it is worth it.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:38 AM

GLK 4Matic
@&*#$@#^*(#&%son of a gosh darn dag nabbit! Hail Storm!