GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

MY PET PEEVES.............

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
MY PET PEEVES.............

Here is my Pet Peeve list…. You know what these are…. those little disappointments we all learn to live with since there isn’t much we can do about them.

*The Tow-Hook cover plate isn’t flush with the front bumper.

*The underside kick rails look nice but make egress and ingress difficult.

*The door lock buttons are made of cheap plastic and are in the wrong place, right where your elbow would be if you had the window down.

*The windows do not recede fully into the door.

*The interior door handles creak when you grab onto them when closing.

*The dash develops numerous buzzes and rattles over time.

*The Nav map doesn’t display road names on the display.

*The Nav/Radio display doesn’t dim at the same rate as the dash lights. (Even on Auto)

*The dash dimmer is also a cheap feeling plastic stick.

*Some exterior body panels have varying fitment gaps. (Not even on par with low end Toyotas)

*Some interior panels fit poorly, especially dash to door.

*The glove box is too tiny, barely enough for the Owners Manual.

*The COMAND Control Knob is too close to the cup holder making spills a concern.

*The Climate Control system is placed way too low in the center dash. (It’s hard to see while in motion.)

*The scissor jack has a narrow base, and the four little nib feet make it very unstable which can make it fall over very easily.

*The tail light should be all LED’s.

*The exterior door handles rattle. (Go ahead, wiggle them.)

*The windshield’s rather straight pitch sucks in the bugs and road debris… (small rocks too!)

*The lumbar support adjusts too slowly.

*The steering geometry makes it hard for the steering wheel to self center even at speed.

*The 20” factory fitted Dunlop’s have no built-in wheel guards and wear out twice as fast as the Pirelli’s.

*The rear seats are really for small humans or kids.
__________________________________________________ ____________________

Other than that, my wife LOVE’S it!

Now it’s your turn………………………………..

Last edited by MBRedux; 11-11-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 350X :0
Talking Are we talking about MB? GLK?

HOlly MOlly! That's quite a list!
I would like to make this as a tear sheet and sell it for $ for anyone who walks into MB!

Old 11-10-2009, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
A couple to add...

- the headlight dial lights up but the lighting options around it don't.
- the all season mat for the driver's side doesn't have that flap on the top left to cover the footrest like the regular mat does.
- the ambient lighting should be a little brighter...
- the inside handles to close the doors have the aluminium finish which is always full of fingerprints.
- factory options that would be sweet to have: heated rear seats and steering wheel, headsup display, command start.

Last edited by JT01; 11-10-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:33 PM

2010 GLK
[quote=MBRedux;3804796]Here is my Pet Peeve list…. You know what these are…. those little disappointments we all learn to live with since there isn’t much we can do about them.

My three week old GLK has been in the shop for three days to fix that very problem!

I totally agree with everything on your list! I feel like I am going to crash everytime I have to turn on the defrost or change temps in the car since I have to look down so far and take my eyes off the road...

And I especially hate the aluminum on the door panels!!
Old 11-10-2009, 04:34 PM

GLK350- Sport pkg, Navi and HK
Wow.. why did u even buy it then.. lol
Old 11-10-2009, 04:38 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by fishsriz
Wow.. why did u even buy it then.. lol
Sounds like a request for MBRedux to now list 20 things you DO like about the GLK
Old 11-10-2009, 04:53 PM

2010 GLK350 4MATIC, 2006 SLK350
My nav displays major road names and skips the small ones. I kind of like it that way it reduces clutter a lot. Since most of the time when I do use the nav I have a destination entered I don't really need to know all the street names; but that's just me.

I don't really touch the climate control setting much either, maybe adjust the dial a couple degrees here or there so the positioning is not an issue for me. I don't sit that high up either so it's easily within arms length reach.

The thing that kind of bothers me is that the windshield is so vertical that in moderate to heavy rainfall + driving over 50kmh half the water wants to travel up the windshield and the half wants to travel down like normal, and when the wiper hits the edge it pulls the puddle of water back into the middle of the windshield. It doesn't obstruct my vision but that effect is just weird.

Also, I feel like I have to put on mudguards now because when it's wet out the bottom of the car is covered in crap from wheel spray....but putting on flaps will detract from the appearance so much.

That and the damn condensation on my headlights!
Old 11-10-2009, 05:38 PM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
Originally Posted by SLfanDC
Sounds like a request for MBRedux to now list 20 things you DO like about the GLK
Hahahaha... For the most part I agree with the items on MBRedux's list.

Yeah, at first glance the list of annoyances seems long but they are mostly those minor little things that every vehicle is bound to have in some way or another.

Speeking of such "pet peeves", has anyone test drove or simply seen the Q5 in person? The side mirrors are so large and the outer door handles and alcoves are so friggin small I don't think I could have ever even considered buying it... at least for me none of the annoyances with my GLK have made me regret buying it.

The list of all the "positives" would be too long...
Old 11-10-2009, 05:50 PM

Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 2010 MB GLK 350
I find it hard to see in the side mirrors in all the rain we've been having. It would be nice if the top extended out a bit to provide some cover. Not sure if it will help and I'm not sure if other cars have it. I'm going to just spray some RainX to see if it helps.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 220 cdi - irridiumsilver
I do not like the glossy black panels around the gear shift handle.
I do not understand when you order a wood finish dash, these panels are also in wood finisch, but if you order alu these panels are black !!!!!
Old 11-11-2009, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by fragil
I do not like the glossy black panels around the gear shift handle.
I do not understand when you order a wood finish dash, these panels are also in wood finisch, but if you order alu these panels are black !!!!!

Simple... Metallic center consoles will reflect right back into the drivers eyes when the sunroof is wide open... flat black lessens the effect.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
Originally Posted by MBRedux
Simple... Metallic center consoles will reflect right back into the drivers eyes when the sunroof is wide open... flat black lessens the effect.
nope, that ain't it.

unless it is unfinished and not sanded smooth, even wood will reflect. the polished wood in my 55 is highly reflective.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:39 PM

GLK 350 4matic
Originally Posted by i_am_amused
nope, that ain't it.

unless it is unfinished and not sanded smooth, even wood will reflect. the polished wood in my 55 is highly reflective.
Yes. C class has it in brushed aluminum. It should be for aesthetics reason, the glove compartment already have a big aluminum panel. It will be just too aluminum shiny. Wood won't have that problem.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
I think we already have forum like this.

The list is pretty comprehensive but I'd like to comment on some of them.

No offense, I'm obviously only kidding in some of the responses.

Here is my Pet Peeve list…. You know what these are…. those little disappointments we all learn to live with since there isn’t much we can do about them.

*The Tow-Hook cover plate isn’t flush with the front bumper. It's not? Make it flush.

*The underside kick rails look nice but make egress and ingress difficult. True, but they keep doors cleaner

*The door lock buttons are made of cheap plastic and are in the wrong place, right where your elbow would be if you had the window down. YES!!! They came from 80's C class.

*The windows do not recede fully into the door. I believe they do unless I misunderstand what you mean. Did you mean that door locks don't go all the way down? Cuz that $h1t annoys me.

*The interior door handles creak when you grab onto them when closing. Fixable, some had this issue, and it was lack of door-seal lube or something like that, unless you have a difference cause.

Not here.

Yes it does, have to zoom in.

*The Nav/Radio display doesn’t dim at the same rate as the dash lights. (Even on Auto) Don't know about this one.

Yea, but do you really notice/touch it that much.

*Some exterior body panels have varying fitment gaps. (Not even on par with low end Toyotas)
Is your GLK from Canal Street? jk

See above.

It's not a trunk.

*The COMAND Control Knob is too close to the cup holder making spills a concern.
Don't drink and drive.

*The Climate Control system is placed way too low in the center dash. (It’s hard to see while in motion.)
Agreed.

*The scissor jack has a narrow base, and the four little nib feet make it very unstable which can make it fall over very easily.
Worked fine I thought.

Yes, but turn signals are still a nice touch.

Canal Street sells $h!t, I know

*The windshield’s rather straight pitch sucks in the bugs and road debris… (small rocks too!)
Maybe, would not think it was more excessive than any of my previous cars.

Agreed

*The steering geometry makes it hard for the steering wheel to self center even at speed.
I thought it had to do with car not being FWD, but I have no idea.

*The 20” factory fitted Dunlop’s have no built-in wheel guards and wear out twice as fast as the Pirelli’s.
Have Pirelli's

Tell your friends to lose weight! jk...they are small seats.

I'd add some of mine:
No tunnel mode unlike on Euro model
No functionality that shuts windows and sunroof when it rains like on Euro model
No tilt in reverse (in US)
Tailgate opening issue is a pain when it happens
Needs body colored mudflaps (esp. in the back)
Old 11-11-2009, 11:42 PM

My mileage is pretty bad right now maybe it's all the city driving I do. I filled up on Saturday and I drove maybe 80-100km on it and there's half the tank.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:56 PM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
Originally Posted by Kamen
My mileage is pretty bad right now maybe it's all the city driving I do. I filled up on Saturday and I drove maybe 80-100km on it and there's half the tank.
For what it's worth I find that I get more mileage from half to empty than I do from full to half. In any event, i typically get at least 180Km on the first half... and just shy of 400Km before the gas light comes on... and all city driving.

You must be driving it pretty hard.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by JT01
For what it's worth I find that I get more mileage from half to empty than I do from full to half. In any event, i typically get at least 180Km on the first half... and just shy of 400Km before the gas light comes on... and all city driving.

You must be driving it pretty hard.
See that's the weird thing, I don't go over the speed limit, I don't accelerate hard, I just cruise around in C, I've only been in S mode once to try it out for like 3 city blocks. I think all the constant starting and stopping, engine ignition, and the V6 engine for city driving is the reason why my mileage is so poor. I used to drive around in my dad's S420 V8 and that was a gas guzzler, then I bought my first car a Honda Civic Si 6 speed and it was great on gas. I'm probably just not used to it yet I'm kind of like damn there goes another $70 (what it cost me to fill up haha).
Old 11-12-2009, 09:48 AM

2010 Barolo Red-Almond/Black GLK 350, 2008 Cadillac Gold Mist LUX III DTS
If the Merc is like most engines today.......the metallurgy has improved so much that the engine will last 200K and more.
It does that because the metal is so damned hard. Being hard. it really is not broken in after 1000 miles.
In my own experience that is exactly what happened to my Nissan VQ engine (3.5L ubiquitous Nissan V6). In my Murano I went from 16 MPG around town at 1K miles to 18 MPG at 10K miles.... It never got any better, but I was satisfied with 18.....

Give it some time..........
Old 11-12-2009, 02:43 PM

GLK 350 (pending)

*The Tow-Hook cover plate isn’t flush with the front bumper.

*The underside kick rails look nice but make egress and ingress difficult.

*The door lock buttons are made of cheap plastic and are in the wrong place, right where your elbow would be if you had the window down.

*The interior door handles creak when you grab onto them when closing.

*The Nav/Radio display doesn’t dim at the same rate as the dash lights. (Even on Auto)

Other than that, my wife LOVE’S it!

Now it’s your turn………………………………..
Is is that bad?? Sounds awful... I was about to buy one. Should I start looking at different cars?
Old 11-12-2009, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SLfanDC
Okay... https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...ites-list.html
Old 11-16-2009, 08:46 PM

glk
what the &(*&^( why did you buy it...
live with it...and live with all of it....or NOT
Old 11-16-2009, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by pipicyx
what the &(*&^( why did you buy it...
live with it...and live with all of it....or NOT
I know you're not stupid.... but these are pet peeves... PET PEEVES... you know... things you find out about the car AFTER YOU BUY IT!.. not before... and if you read the first post, I said "that you learn to live with".... geeeeezzzzzzz

PS They're listed for those who wish to know what I learned about the car soon after taking ownership but before THEY buy the car.... GET IT NOW? That's what a public FORUM is for.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:09 PM

glk
you certainly need to do your homework beforewards...this is one thing about you guys...the return policy everywhere just made you guys so used to not doing your homework before actually buying the item...and while purchasing the item too...close your eyes and think about a NA without return policy...how would you like that huh?

Now this is a car...and finally you can't make a return and have to live with it...so it comes with all these compliance too...and from what you are pointing at the GLK, you expect it to be a 50K spacecraft...i am pretty sure there are enough difference cars in the MB dealership that actually do not have these PROBLEMS...you get what you paid for...

but after all, this is at least some help for anyone who is attempting getting a GLK...
Old 11-16-2009, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by pipicyx
you certainly need to do your homework beforewards...this is one thing about you guys...the return policy everywhere just made you guys so used to not doing your homework before actually buying the item...and while purchasing the item too...close your eyes and think about a NA without return policy...how would you like that huh?

Now this is a car...and finally you can't make a return and have to live with it...so it comes with all these compliance too...and from what you are pointing at the GLK, you expect it to be a 50K spacecraft...i am pretty sure there are enough difference cars in the MB dealership that actually do not have these PROBLEMS...you get what you paid for...

but after all, this is at least some help for anyone who is attempting getting a GLK...
How old are you? (Got it 28...) How many vehicles have you owned and own now... honestly? How could we have done "our homework" when the GLK was so new and no one had this list, which would be different for each person... besides this list was really for fun leading up to the PUNCH line... please look to the left... I drive a GT-R, which is a car. My wife drives this baby Benz that thinks its a SUV crossover... but she's very happy with it... so that makes me happy too!

Last edited by MBRedux; 11-16-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:26 PM

glk
I am 28, i had Pontiac G6 when I was 18, few years of Saab, now GLK for the winter
my dad have gone though most S classes since I was little, and he is now sitting in a M from MB.
Uncle is more wealthy and he drives beasts(i get to drive one of them for 4 months every summer I am home)...if I list them all you'd think i am ^&*^*^* with you.
GTR?(1.18m) in China it is cheaper than the M3(1.8m)...and C63(1.7m)...can you believe this? So never mind about how good your drives are...and BTW...I have to admit the GT-R is a good car...with a good driver of course...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MY PET PEEVES.............