GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Turn Signal Bulb Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 GLC300 4Matic SUV
Turn Signal Bulb Question

I know this is a dumb question but does anyone know how to remove the bulb out of the turn signal holder? I want to change that bulb to the equivalent white bulb (that still flashes in amber) so I don't have that "fried egg" look. I know how to access the turn signal bulb and remove it from it's location in the car but getting it out of that holder is my problem. It's probably simple but I don't want to break anything. BTW, the manual says it's a PY21W bulb which would be easy to remove but it really is a 3357A bulb which has clips, for anyone who wants to know.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:15 PM

2017 GLC300 4Matic SUV
I just found out that you need to pull them out with a little force, The way it locks in I was surprised they come out that way. You kind of have to rock them a little. I went to the Mercedes dealer and they showed me how.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:03 PM

MB GLK 350 4MATIC
Smile

HI, i am also interesting in doing the same job to change to the xexon light, but i am wondering did you have the regular lights before you did this? and did you do it by yourself or go to some place to help you out, because i am going to Chicago next week and i am planning to change lights there, do you have recommendation which place could do that? oh, by the way, how much you pay for the whole things.

i know there lots questions , thank you .
Old 02-28-2010, 10:43 AM

2017 GLC300 4Matic SUV
Hi, yes I had the stock Halogen lights and bought an HID kit online at www.buyhidkits.com and paid $75.00 for the whole kit. I bought the H7 6000K kit because they match the white color that the Mercedes with Xenon have in my opinion. I think the kit is less expense now at $57.00 but you would have to check it out. Also, don't buy the relay ($14.99) it's not needed. I had a local store near my home in Orland Park, IL called Mobile Concepts install my kit for me and that cost $150.00 so all together it ran $225.00. You have to call and make an appointment at 708-226-1100. They were willing to do my install even though I bought my own kit online. I really like the HID lights and do not regret doing the switch.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:33 AM

2010 Barolo Red-Almond/Black GLK 350, 2008 Cadillac Gold Mist LUX III DTS
Bear with me. I know very little about HID kits. Well, actually nothing.
But, are you sure they are HID?
That ($57) is very,very cheap for HID lights.
And where it says H7 60000K......H7 is the kind of bulbs you had to begin with....that is Halogen.

I wouldn't mind upgrading to HIDs, but thought it would cost me maybe $1000.........
Old 02-28-2010, 12:04 PM

2017 GLC300 4Matic SUV
Trust me, they really are Xenon lights. My kit came with the bulbs, ballasts and hardware for the install. As far as your point about the bulb, when you order them you have to know what original Halogen bulb you have, otherwise they would only make one Xenon bulb for all cars and they don't. I believe the type (H1,H2,H7, H11, 9004, etc) has more to do more with the type of connector it uses. The GLK fogs are H11 and have a different way to connect the plug than the H7 for example. I know you can spend anywhere from $50.00 to $400.00 for an HID kit, don't ask me why. Mine have been installed since November and I have not had a problem.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:10 PM

2010 GLK 350 Sandstone Beige
click on link!

http://www.hidxenonheadlights.com/Mercedes-HID-Kits/

Trending Topics

Old 02-28-2010, 07:07 PM

MB GLK 350 4MATIC
Smile

Originally Posted by gdepau
Hi, yes I had the stock Halogen lights and bought an HID kit online at www.buyhidkits.com and paid $75.00 for the whole kit. I bought the H7 6000K kit because they match the white color that the Mercedes with Xenon have in my opinion. I think the kit is less expense now at $57.00 but you would have to check it out. Also, don't buy the relay ($14.99) it's not needed. I had a local store near my home in Orland Park, IL called Mobile Concepts install my kit for me and that cost $150.00 so all together it ran $225.00. You have to call and make an appointment at 708-226-1100. They were willing to do my install even though I bought my own kit online. I really like the HID lights and do not regret doing the switch.
Hi, appreciated about the information you provided, while, since i barely know anything about the structure about the stock lights, and from the pics you posted, i saw the low beam light are changed to the xenon, i have no doubt about about, but i am wondering those high beam light and side marker light and turning light you had changed, are those need to match some specific light model? i wanna ask did you change the fog light also? i did not find the model of fog light, as you said it is H11, where you get that data? i wanna change that to xenon also. Thanks
Old 03-01-2010, 10:21 AM

2017 GLC300 4Matic SUV
You do not need to change any of those bulbs, I just did it because I did not like the yellow stock color. I changed the parking city bulb and eyebrow bulb to these LED bulbs:

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Canbus-Euro..._t10_sku27.htm

I also did all my interior lights to LED. If you click on my name and view my profile, you can view my pictures.

High beams: I rarely use the high beams so for this bulb all I did was replace it with a Halogen H7 55W bright white intensity bulb (which is a blue color bulb). It's not quite as intense white but better than the stock yellow. When the parking lamp is on it reflects a bluish color which I like.

Fog lights: Yes, they are H11 bulbs and I found out by searching this forum. I have not changed them yet, still deciding. If you want them to match you would need a H11 HID Xenon kit. I am hesitant because the fog lights bulbs are very hard to get to. You have to remove the front drivers side tire for that bulb and you have to lift the car to get to the drivers side bulb. Not something I want to do because I rarely use my fog lights anyway. Maybe during the summer when I get bored.

Last edited by gdepau; 03-02-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:09 PM

MB GLK 350 4MATIC
You do not need to change any of those bulbs, I just did it because I did not like the yellow stock color. I changed the parking city bulb and eyebrow bulb to these LED bulbs: http://store.ijdmtoy.com/OBC-Error-F..._t10_sku27.htm. I also did all my interior lights to LED. If you click on my name you can view my album for pictures.

High beams: I rarely use the high beams so for this bulb all I did was replace it with a Halogen H7 55W bright white intensity bulb (which is a blue color bulb). It's not quite as intense white but better than the stock yellow. When the parking lamp is on it reflects a bluish color which I like.

Fog lights: Yes, they are H11 bulbs and I found out by searching this forum. I have not changed them yet, still deciding. If you want them to match you would need a H11 HID Xenon kit. I am hesitant because the fog lights bulbs are very hard to get to. You have to remove the front drivers side tire for that bulb and you have to lift the car to get to the drivers side bulb. Not something I want to do because I rarely use my fog lights anyway. Maybe during the summer when I get bored.
very productive ideas, i am not sure if i need to concern about connector of those LED lights are match the default ones in the car ? oh, by the way, i just check the interior lights, how do you change the lights in the center above the rear mirror, i even can not open the cover, also the light above the back seat? those cover are so hard to open, maybe need special tool to do that ?

Last edited by cxpu19852002; 03-01-2010 at 04:15 PM. Reason: not finished
Old 03-01-2010, 03:51 PM

2017 GLC300 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by cxpu19852002
very productive ideas, i am not sure if i need to concern about connector of those LED lights are match the default ones in the car ?
Yes, there is no problem with the connectors. They are wedge type connectors. It's just getting to the bulbs that is a hassle.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:42 PM

MB GLK 350 4MATIC
Yes, there is no problem with the connectors. They are wedge type connectors. It's just getting to the bulbs that is a hassle.

Exactly, i just check the interior lights, how do you change the lights in the center above the rear mirror, i even can not open the cover, also the light above the back seat? those cover are so hard to open, maybe need special tool to do that?
Old 03-01-2010, 05:21 PM

2017 GLC300 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by cxpu19852002
Exactly, i just check the interior lights, how do you change the lights in the center above the rear mirror, i even can not open the cover, also the light above the back seat? those cover are so hard to open, maybe need special tool to do that?
There may be a special tool at the Mercedes dealer but all you need is a credit card. There is a picture of how you can do it. You slide the credit card in between the roof and the light chassis and it disengages but don't pull it down too far, just enough to get your hands on the bulb to remove it. Same with the rear dome bulb, a bit harder but again you slide a credit card in between the roof and the light and slide it over to the edge all the while pulling it down. Not too hard.

view these links and search this forum for a thread called "dome lights removal". There used to be pictures but you can read what was said.

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...g-p1010077.jpg

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...g-p1010048.jpg

Last edited by gdepau; 03-01-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:56 PM

GLK 350 4Matic
Can you tell me what parking city bulb and eyebrow bulb you have. The link isnt working. I want mine to look the same as yours and Im also getting the hid kit for the fog lights. Thanks for all the info.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:12 AM

2017 GLC300 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by jdm2010
Can you tell me what parking city bulb and eyebrow bulb you have. The link isnt working. I want mine to look the same as yours and Im also getting the hid kit for the fog lights. Thanks for all the info.
No problem, the LED bulbs are the same for both, this link should work:

I have the Xenon white color.

Last edited by gdepau; 03-02-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:08 PM

MB GLK 350 4MATIC
No problem, the LED bulbs are the same for both, this link should work:

I have the Xenon white color.
i am trying to replace the high beam bulb also with the white color ones, on the web i am confused by one product, called halogen xenon light, are they need to be installed with the HID kit or just the regular halogen bulb with the xenon looks?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:25 PM

GLK 350 4Matic
Just ordered all my bulbs. HID kits for the headlight and fog lights. LED lights for the eyebrow and the parking lights. Also the Halogen H7 super white for the high beams. Total cost with shipping 250$.

Im going in for oil change soon should I ask my dealer to install the lights. Am I going to pay more to have them do it? Please give me any advice.

To answer the question above i believe halogen xenon lights are just better halogen lights that look like xenon hid lights. They plug in like your normal halogen bulbs.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:16 PM

MB GLK 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by jdm2010
Just ordered all my bulbs. HID kits for the headlight and fog lights. LED lights for the eyebrow and the parking lights. Also the Halogen H7 super white for the high beams. Total cost with shipping 250$.

Im going in for oil change soon should I ask my dealer to install the lights. Am I going to pay more to have them do it? Please give me any advice.

To answer the question above i believe halogen xenon lights are just better halogen lights that look like xenon hid lights. They plug in like your normal halogen bulbs.

hi, thanks for answering, i also order all the bulbs. seems those cost me around $350, i did not order the HID kit for the fog light, just order halogen xenon light instead, since i consider i am going to use that too much, but i am going to replace all the halogen bulbs for the interior lights and license plate light.
I personally do not wanna go to dealer to do that, they will definitely charge you. go to a reliable custom shop, they should had such experience, that is what i am gonna do.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:25 AM

2017 GLC300 4Matic SUV
I would check with your dealer just in case, but I would be surprised if they would want to do it. CXPU is right, a good custom shop would do it. I paid $150.00 to have a custom shop install my HID kit and did the rest of the bulbs myself. If you can get them to do it for a reasonable price it's worth it. The bulbs are a real pain to get to.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
I just found out that you need to pull them out with a little force, The way it locks in I was surprised they come out that way. You kind of have to rock them a little. I went to the Mercedes dealer and they showed me how.
yea I was able to just twist and take it out.

It would be cool to rewire the blinker to the marker light in the eyebrow (one that stays one and also blinks when blinker is on). This way you could have eye brows on like on C-Class and they would also blink in amber if you use one of those dual color LEDs.

Last edited by NYCGLK; 03-06-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:03 AM

GLK350
I know this is a dumb question but does anyone know how to remove the bulb out of the turn signal holder? I want to change that bulb to the equivalent white bulb (that still flashes in amber) so I don't have that "fried egg" look. I know how to access the turn signal bulb and remove it from it's location in the car but getting it out of that holder is my problem. It's probably simple but I don't want to break anything. BTW, the manual says it's a PY21W bulb which would be easy to remove but it really is a 3357A bulb which has clips, for anyone who wants to know.
The turn signal light you are referring to in the manual as PY21W isn't normally on and only blinks when turning.

Why would you put in the dual color (white/amber) replacement when it would just be off and turn amber like OEM did?

Unless these bulbs are always on white and blink amber no matter how the OEM bulb works, or you rewired it? These dual bulbs aren't cheap, bout $40 each so if you spent the money on them I'm sure you wanted the functionality.

Please explain. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:51 AM

2017 GLC300 4Matic SUV
I simply put in a bulb that is silver but blinks amber. The reason was that the amber only bulb when it is not on makes the headlight housing look like a "fried egg" or reflects a yellow look. The silver stealth bulb when off looks white so the housing looks white. I just like the look, both function exactly the same and the cost was only $12.00. I purchased it on Ebay 3457 Silver Chrome Natural Amber Bulb

Originally Posted by Shak59
The turn signal light you are referring to in the manual as PY21W isn't normally on and only blinks when turning.

Why would you put in the dual color (white/amber) replacement when it would just be off and turn amber like OEM did?

Unless these bulbs are always on white and blink amber no matter how the OEM bulb works, or you rewired it? These dual bulbs aren't cheap, bout $40 each so if you spent the money on them I'm sure you wanted the functionality.

Please explain. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
The questions is, who will be first to take the orange side marker out.

Why couldn't they make it separate like on C class and not built into the headlight?
Old 12-08-2010, 02:26 PM

GLK350
I simply put in a bulb that is silver but blinks amber. The reason was that the amber only bulb when it is not on makes the headlight housing look like a "fried egg" or reflects a yellow look. The silver stealth bulb when off looks white so the housing looks white. I just like the look, both function exactly the same and the cost was only $12.00. I purchased it on Ebay 3457 Silver Chrome Natural Amber Bulb
This makes sense why you did this, I don't like the "fried egg" look either. But what about the wedge bulb in the corner of the lamp? The one that is always on and blinks? Did you change that to white? So now your have amber and white blinking at the same time?
Old 12-08-2010, 02:55 PM

GLK350
gdepau, thanks for posting that pic in your album of the white and and amber turn signal both on. I had a few questions left I just wanted to verify.

1. Did you change those out or are those OEM? If changed, are those just White Halogen bulbs?

2. This is the bulb you said that you bought with the silver glass that lights up amber so it doesn't have the fried egg look when lights are off.

3. These are LED replacements, are the ones you have white or blue?

And finally is your HID light OEM or aftermarket?

THANKS!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Bulb Question