GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Stone Chip on Windshield

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350
Stone Chip on Windshield

So, I got a stone chip on the windshield over the weekend while driving on the highway. It's pea-sized, dead smack in the middle. I think it could've been worse....

Anyway, I couldn't find the thread about the couple of you that had a crack in the windshield, but what's the advice?

I know my insurance covers it, so I was just going to take it to an Apple Auto Glass place. Do I need to do anything through MB (i.e. let my dealer know)? I don't think it's covered by warranty.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Sorry... no warranty coverage that's for sure... no need to contact the dealer unless you decide to use them to do the repair... purely an insurance issue. Most times the repair is a simple procedure. The bulls-eye chip can be filled and polished depending on the size. But if there's a chance it can shatter or spread, then the entire windshield should be replaced.

The OEM windshield sucks.... I would try to get another brand that's more durable and chip resistant. (A built-in sun band would be nice too).

These GLK's have an almost verticle windshield... prone to rock and debris damage.... so expect that this may be a yearly replacement chore.

Good luck
Old 03-08-2010, 11:46 AM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
Originally Posted by MBRedux
Sorry... no warranty coverage that's for sure... no need to contact the dealer unless you decide to use them to do the repair... purely an insurance issue. Most times the repair is a simple procedure. The bulls-eye chip can be filled and polished depending on the size. But if there's a chance it can shatter or spread, then the entire windshield should be replaced.

The OEM windshield sucks.... I would try to get another brand that's more durable and chip resistant. (A built-in sun band would be nice too).

These GLK's have an almost verticle windshield... prone to rock and debris damage.... so expect that this may be a yearly replacement chore.

Good luck
Agreed! My windshield is already a mess... My advice would be to wait until there is a few more ( or a significant crack) before replacing it. Get the chips filled to prevent them from getting worse but don't go replacing the windshield every time you get a rock chip or your GLK will spend its life in the auto glass shop!
Old 03-08-2010, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 GLK350 4MATIC
I just noticed a small chip in my windshield also. How much is it to fill in the hole? Is the hole still visible after the work?
Old 03-08-2010, 11:55 AM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
Originally Posted by pho75
I just noticed a small chip in my windshield also. How much is it to fill in the hole? Is the hole still visible after the work?
Usually about $30 for the first chip and about $15 for the rest (if you are getting more than one chip filled).

They fill the chip with a resin to prevent any cracks from spreading... depending on the size of the chip/crack... it may still be visible after repair.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:21 PM

Received 243 Likes on 155 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
Originally Posted by pho75
Many insurance companies will pay for the cost of a chip repair at Safelight or other vendor. Or you can buy a repair kit from AutoZone, Checker Auto or Pep Boys for about $10 and repair it yourself. I've done this many times over the years and carry a repair kit with me in the trunk. It is effective for chips (not big cracks) and to prevent chips from developing into larger cracks, particularly if the chip is not directly in your line of sight.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:27 PM

GLK 350
So I took it to the auto glass shop and they fixed it for 100$ - billed to the insurance company, no deductible or premium increase (unless all of us GLK owners start claiming stone chips!!)
Old 03-08-2010, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 GLK 4Matic Steel Gray
I got a chip on my windshield just 2 months after buying the car. Luckily i bought the windshield insurance from the dealer. No issues with the new one, but I'm not sure its OEM because it came from Ohio.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:58 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 53 Coupe, 2024 GLE 450e SUV
I had mine replaced 3 weeks ago via Safelite. They only have original MB for our cars because you need the connection on the top for the auto wipers. Thats the box behind the rearview mirror. The windsheild came with the contacts fused to the glass. I also got a replacement MB decal for the lower right corner. (I had to purchase that separately, BTW I have an extra).
Old 03-09-2010, 12:01 AM

2010 Barolo Red-Almond/Black GLK 350, 2008 Cadillac Gold Mist LUX III DTS
If you have State Farm Insurance (And I would bet others too) and the chip can be repaired......State farm will have you go to their "authorized" windshield dealer and he will repair the windshield at no cost to you and no,it does not go against your record. They can fill the chip with optically clear epoxy and it will be unnoticeable and the chip will not turn into a crack as some will do.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:21 PM

2010 GLK " SOLD", 2008 GL550 "LOADED", 2001 Volkswagen GTI VR6 "SOLD", 2000 E-320, 2004 Audit TT
When i purchased my GLK i got the Polystar warranty and they are great. Ive had several rock chips. All i do is call them up and set up an appointment with safelite to do the repair. After so much repairing my windshield finally got struck by a large rock and it needed replacement. Called them again and got my windshield replaced in 30 minutes! Free of charge! Im glad i got that 500 dollar warranty for 5 years
Old 03-13-2010, 03:40 AM

glk
i got my windshiled with a small crack after only 2 months.
I think it is the windshield that is so much vertical compared to other models.
from now on I will use the wipescreens more often and at a faster pace so maybe if any stone gets in the way I have a better chance to push it away whils the wipescreen is working
Old 02-13-2015, 06:18 PM

GLK 350
GLK 350 windshield and sunroof issues

WARNING. GLK 350 design flaw.
Year 2 of owning GLK 350 and already on windshield #3 and sunroof #2. I drive I-80 and have noticed that the glk 350 has a HORRIBLE glass design. Someone messed up big time. The angle of the windshield lends to frequent rock chips as it is nearly vertical. Disappointing. In addition, the sunroof has little protection and is exposed to potential rock damage as well. Major pain. Just replace a shattered sunroof that nearly fell in on me (just little debris made it through some holes). Wish I had gone Volvo or audi.