GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Rubber Moldings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 08:12 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK 350, Palladium, P01,Chrome inserts,running boards,Bi-Xenons,Multimedia,AMG Body&Wheels,Tow.
Rubber Moldings

Has anyone noticed a problem with all the rubber moldings around all the glass???They all are spotted or look like they are getting "Mildew Stains" I took it too Mercedes yesterday and they said they would not replace them, and I have an appointment for next week to have them cleaned with some chemical to take off the spots. While I was waiting I walked around the dealership and noticed every single GLK and bigger SUV'S had the same problem..????Also inside molding that runs along the door is worn out in two spots,,dealer says I must rub on it getting in and out of car.I am 6ft2in and if I am rubbing on it and this happens in 1 month it is pretty lousy..they will replace it!.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:17 AM

GLK 350 4Matic, G35, Ford Ranger FX4II
Not on my ride. Good luck with that though.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:58 AM

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
post pics?
Old 04-24-2010, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
I think I know what you mean, have that too but don't care much about it.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:28 PM

Received 239 Likes on 152 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
Suggest you use this product: Mother's "Back To Black" available at your local Pep Boys, Checker Auto, AutoZone, etc.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Banned

2010 GLK 350, Palladium, P01,Chrome inserts,running boards,Bi-Xenons,Multimedia,AMG Body&Wheels,Tow.
window moldings

Mothers back to Black on Rubber Window moldings,,,never,,every time they get wet they will run on the paint
Old 04-25-2010, 07:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
Originally Posted by GEMINIDAN
Has anyone noticed a problem with all the rubber moldings around all the glass???They all are spotted or look like they are getting "Mildew Stains" I took it too Mercedes yesterday and they said they would not replace them, and I have an appointment for next week to have them cleaned with some chemical to take off the spots. While I was waiting I walked around the dealership and noticed every single GLK and bigger SUV'S had the same problem..????Also inside molding that runs along the door is worn out in two spots,,dealer says I must rub on it getting in and out of car.I am 6ft2in and if I am rubbing on it and this happens in 1 month it is pretty lousy..they will replace it!.
+1. Had it on my GLK at the time of pick up, have noticed it on various cars at the dealer. My preferred manufacturer with regard to car care is Swisswax, http://www.swissvax.com/, US "distributer" being http://www.swissvax.us. I am using a range of their products since 2005 and am dedicated to them. Yes, they are (very) expensive, but they work, may be with the exception for wax used on the nanotechnology lacquer.

The one I used in the case of rubber moldings, and all seals as well, is the Gum Feed, http://www.swissvax.us/merchant.mvc?...NGINE-BAY-CARE.

The wax I use is the Saphir (the second cheapest), note the price of the Mystery, http://www.swissvax.us/merchant.mvc?...ory_Code=WAXES

Two pictures are from a five years old car, when I for the first time started using the Swisswax (at that time Swissol) products; Note the plastic bumper, after treatment with Pneu. The last picture doesn't really count, as the car was brand new at that time (pictures are being used as screensavers at the dealership!).

Swisswax Saphir wax and GLK may however be a different story, as I did not feel the ultimate smoothness being used on the nanotechnology lacquer, at least after the first and only treatment so far. However do I not understand why it feels different, as the sedan has a top layer of clear-coating as well. I shall soon see.

Apart from that, are Swisswax products for car owner who really cares for their cars, to my opinion
Attached Thumbnails Rubber Moldings-9-5-side-swissol-saphir-pneu-og-litt-lobelia-31.08.2005.jpg   Rubber Moldings-9-5-panser-swissol-himmel-og-huspipe-03.09.2005.jpg   Rubber Moldings-9-5-side-swissol-saphir-pneu-og-litt-lobelia-25.06.2006.jpg  
Old 04-25-2010, 09:15 AM

Mothers back to Black on Rubber Window moldings,,,never,,every time they get wet they will run on the paint
HUH? Geminidan must be thinking of another product. "Black to Black" is not black -- it is a clear/cream-colored liquid specifically for "Exterior Bumper and Trim Care for all color exterior trim and flat blacks." Mother's would not market a product that damages or runs onto paint.

Specifically, the "Back to Black" label says:

"(It) is perfect for all exterior trim. Use on Vinyl, rubber, plastic and flat finishes. Perfect for smooth and textured surfaces, bumpers, protective and decorative moldings, louvers, air vents, WINDOW TRIM (my caps), and wiper arms.

When used as directed Back to Black removes oxidation, ground in dirt, wax residue and surface film. Treated surfaces will look new again and be protected against further oxidation or deterioration caused by sun, smog, ozone, water, chemicals and airborne contaminants."

Applied with a dry soft cloth, you will be amazed at how well this product works. (And it will not run or ruin any paint.)
Old 04-25-2010, 12:26 PM
Banned

Rubber Moldings

I will look again into "BACK TO BLACK".. maybe it will keep the stained look from coming back again.. also For the last 15 years I have used a wax called "Pinnacle" and all my cars ahve stood up to the Harsh Florida elements and bugs washed right off, recently someone from this site suggested I try "REJEX" sealant,on my wheels and on the body..I spoke to the owner of Rejex and was told this was originally made to protech the bodies of jet airplanes from the harsh turbine exhaust, they claimed it protected the paints,, I found a Benz/Porsche dealership in Texas that only uses this product.. I bought it 19.00 16oz and have put it on twice..the glow is so deep you can read the license plate in front of you off the reflection on the hood..also when I hose the wheels it seemd the brake dust comes off easier..I am still testing to see how long it lasts..Rejex said 6 months, I would be happy with 2 months in Florida..
Old 04-26-2010, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
This IS BY FAR the very BEST stuff to use on anything rubber found on cars. Ask any auto restorer, 3M Silicone spray restores and preserves rubber practically forever. Spray it on and rub it in on all exterior and interior moldings, (will not harm paint) let stand for 5 min. and then proceed to wash your car. (Although not necessary to wash it, this works best... or you can just wipe off the excess silicone with a clean cloth. (It does remove a little of the old oxidized rubber from the surface so don't get alarmed.. this is normal and should be expected.) The rubber will now look and feel brand new!

Please do not use standard silicone spray found at your local store... that junk will ruin your rubber and your paint. Notice that the can states that its FDA approved! Yes this stuff is even safe to use on food processing machines because it does not contain ANY petroleum ingredients like store brands do... it's almost 100% pure silicone and it will make your rubber look and feel like new... not greasy or glossy... just perfect... but the most important thing to remember is that it will preserve the rubber from ever fading, or cracking. (Remember... Do not use near your brakes.) It's expensive but worth it.

(Those other products mentioned may make your rubber look black again (for a while) but will not preserve it like ONLY PURE silicone can... some may even promote the aging process.)

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1

Last edited by MBRedux; 04-27-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:29 PM

2010 GLK 350 Sandstone Beige
No problems noted yet but thanks for the recommendation using the 3M silicone spray.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 350X :0
MBRedux,

the can states "not for retail or consumer sale or use"
how did you get a hold of this?
why is this on the can, when it can do what you state it does?

Old 05-13-2010, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by mr.mbenz
MBRedux,

the can states "not for retail or consumer sale or use"
how did you get a hold of this?
why is this on the can, when it can do what you state it does?

Good questions. The link to purchase is in my post. As far as the disclaimer goes, this standard disclaimer is on any and every aerosol spray-can meant for *professional* use only.... from professional spray paints to refrigerants, etc. You probably have never seen one before or never took notice.... and that's okay, it's nothing to be alarmed about.... it can still be purchased but only in a case of 12 cans minimum.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:12 PM

GLK 350
I used a silicone spray to treat the rubber lining under the targa top of my vette, it help prevent squaking from worn rubber. Not sure what brand it is but it is a black can and the vette community has used it for quite some time, I would feel confident on using it on any rubber, except it can be a bit messy to apply I like the suggestion of washing car afterwards.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NCGLK
I used a silicone spray to treat the rubber lining under the targa top of my vette, it help prevent squaking from worn rubber. Not sure what brand it is but it is a black can and the vette community has used it for quite some time, I would feel confident on using it on any rubber, except it can be a bit messy to apply I like the suggestion of washing car afterwards.
I just bought another case of 12 cans for $86.00... (link above) We use it on all our cars, bikes, lawn mowers, snow blowers etc and even in our home. If you have stainless steel aplliances in your kitcken, wipe it down, clean off any dirt or grime, then sray a thin coat of 3M Silicone, let set a few seconds and wipe clean with a soft cloth in the direction of the grain... it works wonderful.

We use it on engine metal and plastic too... just wipe off the excess... lasts a long time, repels water and prevents rust too!
Old 05-14-2010, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
To original post -

Perhaps it's where your dealer is parking the SUVs? Do they get more sun than other cars ?

At one of my dealers they park the SLKs opposite direction of all the other cars, and the rubber molding on them all looks terrible.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by slk55er
Suggest you use this product: Mother's "Back To Black" available at your local Pep Boys, Checker Auto, AutoZone, etc.
I'll stick by my original recommendation to use this product specifically designed for the purpose in question -- protecting and enhancing black rubber trim.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
I'll stick by my original recommendation to use this product specifically designed for the purpose in question -- protecting and enhancing black rubber trim.
This is a good suggestion. One of those small, cheap, *foam* paint brushes can be helpful in applying it too.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry to say... and please don't take it personally... but that stuff is simply *cheap junk* when compared to the 3M product.... and a complete waste of time and money IMO.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:17 PM
Banned

3M SILICONE SPRAY

MBREDUX..SO WOULD YOU LIKE TO SELL THE NON-BELIEVERS A CAN???
Old 05-15-2010, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by MBRedux
Sorry to say... and please don't take it personally... but that stuff is simply *cheap junk* when compared to the 3M product.... and a complete waste of time and money IMO.
OK. Go for it. Mother's won't be happy, but I see that 3M product has the additional benefit of being "FDA Approved." Yumm!
Old 05-15-2010, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBREDUX..SO WOULD YOU LIKE TO SELL THE NON-BELIEVERS A CAN???
Sure... but by the time I send it off to you it will cost an arm and a leg.... you can usually find single cans at Nautical/Boat Supply stores....

other than that.... do what you all wish... no sweat off my back. I'm only giving the best advice I can because I've been doing this kind of stuff for over 40 years now.

Good luck!
Old 05-29-2010, 01:04 PM

GLA250
There is a product called "Protect All", which is a multi-purpose cleaner/treatment/wax, that has a wide array of uses, including, waxing your car. However, it works very well on rubber and vinyl trim - it does not run or leave a residue. I used to use it on my X3 on all the vinyl trim around the wheel wells and the bumpers and it works incredibly well, IMO. You can buy a $1 trial sponge if you like.

http://www.protectall.com/searchresu...x?CategoryID=2
Old 09-24-2010, 10:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
none
Originally Posted by MBRedux
I just bought another case of 12 cans for $86.00... (link above) We use it on all our cars, bikes, lawn mowers, snow blowers etc and even in our home. If you have stainless steel aplliances in your kitcken, wipe it down, clean off any dirt or grime, then sray a thin coat of 3M Silicone, let set a few seconds and wipe clean with a soft cloth in the direction of the grain... it works wonderful.

We use it on engine metal and plastic too... just wipe off the excess... lasts a long time, repels water and prevents rust too!

Hey MBRedux,

Can you tell me if the other 3M Silicone lubricant is as good? What's the difference between the one you listed and the other 3M stuff? It also says it doesn't have any petroleum in it.

http://www.shop3m.com/60410009587.html

thanks.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by iewoals
Hey MBRedux,

Can you tell me if the other 3M Silicone lubricant is as good? What's the difference between the one you listed and the other 3M stuff? It also says it doesn't have any petroleum in it.

http://www.shop3m.com/60410009587.html

thanks.
Not the same at all....... this 3M silcone is DRY, NOT WET! This is not meant for wet applications where you are trying to renew rubber.