GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Replacement Halogens Melting Headlamp Lens?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK350
Replacement Halogens Melting Headlamp Lens?

I picked up my new GLK today and while I was there had them install a set of Silverstar Ultra H7s for low beams. Although willing to put them in for me, the service manager gave me the story that these could melt my projector lens and the outermost clear plastic lens. The tech says that he has seen it. These halogens aren't pulling more wattage than standard, just a different "color temp"....does anyone think that this would actually happen? I would hate to have to replace the whole housing as "it won't be covered under warranty"...
Old 05-02-2010, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
i think it's possible, but I don't think cause would be different brand. I think something like this could happen with stock bulbs. Why not put them your self? If something happens just put MB ones back in. Changing bulbs is pretty easy.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:25 PM

2010 Barolo Red-Almond/Black GLK 350, 2008 Cadillac Gold Mist LUX III DTS
I agree with NYC.
55 watts is 55 watts.
I don't think they could make "not covered by warranty" stick.
Look up Magnussen-Moss act.
Or better yet, have the SM look it up........
Old 05-02-2010, 09:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 350X :0
this sounds a bit of
you can call Slyvania Tech Support to confirm this.

I am sure you are comparing apples to apples, only that the apple is slighlty different in colour.

ps... here's the list...

When two or more lamps are listed for the same application, remove the lamp and check the numerical designation.

2010 MERCEDES-BENZ GLK-class (With HID (high intensity discharge) headlamps)

Low beam headlamp
HID-D1S

High beam headlamp
H7
H7SU SilverStar Ultra: The brightest and whitest light. Up to 50% brighter, up to 40% more downroad visibility and up to 50% more sideroad visibility.
H7ST Silverstar: The brighter and whiter light. Up to 35% brighter, up to 30% more downroad visibility and up to 35% more sideroad visibility.
H7EB EcoBright - Your Environmental Choice. Save Energy - Save Money. Up to 25% brighter light. CO2 reduced 9 to 21%. Gas savings $2 to $19.
H7XV XtraVision: The brighter light for upgraded performance. Up to 30% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.
H7CB Cool Blue: The whiter light for style. Up to 25% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.

Parking light
2825LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.
3457A
3457ALL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Front turn signal
3457A
3457ALL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Rear turn signal
7507AST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
7507LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Tail light
7506ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
7506LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Stop light
7506ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
7506LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

High mount stop light
LED

Fog/Driving light
H11
H11ST Silverstar: The brighter and whiter light. Up to 35% brighter, up to 30% more downroad visibility and up to 35% more sideroad visibility.
H11XV XtraVision: The brighter light for upgraded performance. Up to 30% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.

License plate
2825LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Back up light
921ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
921LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Front sidemarker
2827LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Rear sidemarker

Map light

Dome light
6411LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Step/Courtesy light
__________________________________________________ __

The applications presented in this replacement guide have been compiled using the best information available from the vehicle manufacturers at the time of your search. This guide is intended for general information purposes only, not to be construed as any type of warrantee as to any particular application. For specific applications the vehicle owner's manual should be consulted.

National Customer Service and Sales Center: U.S.A.
(For products only)
Automotive Lighting: 1-800-347-3420
Old 05-03-2010, 02:27 PM

GLK
highly doubt it,
maybe 1% of the time
if wattage is the same as oem, it shouldn't be a problem
Old 05-04-2010, 03:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Silverstars won't cause an issue, as they are stock wattage.

Those aftermarket bulbs with true higher wattage can melt wiring harnesses.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
there's a post here somewhere showing a melted lens......... be warned.

Trending Topics

Old 05-14-2010, 09:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
The post MBRedux refers to might be this one: https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...t-housing.html