GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

My GLK smells!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350 4 MATIC
My GLK smells!!

For the past 3 weeks my ride started to smell like mold from the inside, I was trying to locate the source...... I washed the floor mats, sprayed febreez, made sure that I didn't forget my gym shoes. Still no luck until today i figured that the smell is coming from the A/C vents ,

how can I treat this issue, any ideas, advise, or past experience?

Please help...
Old 05-20-2010, 01:32 PM

2012 C350 Coupe Loaded
Originally Posted by AJGLK
For the past 3 weeks my ride started to smell like mold from the inside, I was trying to locate the source...... I washed the floor mats, sprayed febreez, made sure that I didn't forget my gym shoes. Still no luck until today i figured that the smell is coming from the A/C vents ,

Please help...

Do you have the MBTEX interior? I have the MBTEX and I think it stinks.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:40 PM

GLK 350 4 MATIC
Originally Posted by cyberglk350
Do you have the MBTEX interior? I have the MBTEX and I think it stinks.

Yes I do have it, but againe I am 100% sure its coming out of the A/C vents. Once I turn on my A/C (first time in the day) it blows that moldy smell, then it gets better after 10 min or so. My friend and wife noticed it too.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:51 PM

2012 C350 Coupe Loaded
Yes I do have it, but againe I am 100% sure its coming out of the A/C vents. Once I turn on my A/C (first time in the day) it blows that moldy smell, then it gets better after 10 min or so. My friend and wife noticed it too.
Well, I would take it to the dealer then and heve them investigate. I live in Denver. It has been really wet here lately and my AC does not smell bad. But hte MBTEX does.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
I think somebody else had this issue. Not me tho, but I haven't used AC much in past 7 months
Old 05-20-2010, 10:46 PM

R350
Not sure if this trick works on MB's... but with Audi's, moisture accumulates in the AC system and will smell moldy after a while. The fix is to turn the AC on maximum heat and let it run for 10 minutes to kill the moisture.

Again, not sure if this is something that works on MB's though... and I never had the problem myself either.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DukeBoy27
Not sure if this trick works on MB's... but with Audi's, moisture accumulates in the AC system and will smell moldy after a while. The fix is to turn the AC on maximum heat and let it run for 10 minutes to kill the moisture.

Again, not sure if this is something that works on MB's though... and I never had the problem myself either.
this works for a short period of time. good quick DIY.

when was the last time u change cabin air filter? could also be moisture trapped in the filter that cause it. i had the same problem(not GLK though) but a new filter fixed it so far.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:17 AM

GLK 350 4 MATIC
Originally Posted by 20C4S
this works for a short period of time. good quick DIY.

when was the last time u change cabin air filter? could also be moisture trapped in the filter that cause it. i had the same problem(not GLK though) but a new filter fixed it so far.
Didn't change it yet. I am going for my first service soon. Is there a way for me to check the cabin filter? where is it located? do they change it in the first service?
Old 05-22-2010, 08:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
According to the Mercedes-Benz Maintenance Booklet:
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/#/servPrtsMaintManuals/,
may the "Combination Filter" not be due for replacement until your next service, scheduled at 20.000 miles or 2 years as it is. You didn't note the milage of the GLK.

However is there given a statement in the chapter "Severe operating conditions" (page 5), that such conditions may call for sooner replacements with regard to items listed - like filters. One condition is frequently operating Climate Control in the air recirculation mode.

In case the service personnel agree to - / recommend replacement of the filter at your service in an attempt to resolve the issue, it is of course a matter of cost.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 ML350 4matic
My dealer sells a small can of "Fridgi-Fresh" for 6.95. You blast the AC and spray it into the hood fresh air intake. Works like a charm and smells sorta like "new car" smell.
I changed my cabin filters too at the time.
You need to take out the glove box to access the filters( 4 screws). You can view them from under the hood by unclasping the air intake box from the passenger side. You will damage/destroy the filters if you try to remove them from here.

Last edited by Benzo 003; 05-22-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:00 PM

GLK 350 4 MATIC
Originally Posted by GLKKa2H
According to the Mercedes-Benz Maintenance Booklet:
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/#/servPrtsMaintManuals/,
may the "Combination Filter" not be due for replacement until your next service, scheduled at 20.000 miles or 2 years as it is. You didn't note the milage of the GLK.

However is there given a statement in the chapter "Severe operating conditions" (page 5), that such conditions may call for sooner replacements with regard to items listed - like filters. One condition is frequently operating Climate Control in the air recirculation mode.

In case the service personnel agree to - / recommend replacement of the filter at your service in an attempt to resolve the issue, it is of course a matter of cost.

Where is the (combination filter) located? is it the same as the cabin filter?
where is the fresh air intake under the hood?

Last edited by AJGLK; 05-22-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:54 PM

2008 ML350 4matic
The combination filter is the same as the cabin filter....the ML has two choices, a more expensive charcoal filter and a lesser paper/foam filter.
Under the hood, the intake should be the black box closest to the windshield, outside of the engine compartment.
I am not positive if they(filters) can be accessed from under the hood. The ML and GL can. Sorry if I assumed too much.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded

Please help...
Try this....

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...nky-be-gone.do

Old 05-22-2010, 10:31 PM

2008 ML350 4matic
This is a very common issue within most of the classes in this forum site....My dealer sells a spray specifically for it and it works. I dont believe something under the seat is going to kill bacteria in the air duct system.
Frigi-Fresh made by BG Products, Inc., Wichita KS.

http://www.bgprod.com/products/climatecontrol.html
Old 05-22-2010, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by Benzo 003
This is a very common issue within most of the classes in this forum site....My dealer sells a spray specifically for it and it works. I dont believe something under the seat is going to kill bacteria in the air duct system.
Frigi-Fresh made by BG Products, Inc., Wichita KS.

http://www.bgprod.com/products/climatecontrol.html
I know! I'm the guy who posted about the *mold* issue in the duct-work several months ago on MBW, but that's not been totally proven to be the case with the GLK as it has for other makes such as Nissan. A bag of ziolite is what true fanatics and restoration buffs use in their cars when they are placed in storage... it just soaks up the mildew smell.... it might help, that's all... it will not solve the cause.

The only draw back is that it can also remove that*new car* smell as well... (which is mainly due to the toxic plastics and glues used during assembly.)
Old 05-23-2010, 02:17 PM

Where is the (combination filter) located? is it the same as the cabin filter?
where is the fresh air intake under the hood?

Where is the (combination filter) located?: Sorry, as our GLK is a "four-in-liner" is the engine compartment (where the filter is located) quite different from the GLK 350, and thus prevent me from compare. However may the attachment, car model not known, found on BenzWorld - in gratitude to konstinger - give you an idea what to look for in your GLK.

Maybe one of your fellow GLK 350's know, and can advice?

is it the same as the cabin filter?: Obviously is there a long story regarding MB's and cabin air filters, depending on the model, MY, 2 - or 4 channel systems etc. To the best of my knowledge is there only the combination filter in question in your case.

where is the fresh air intake under the hood: See combination filter.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
combofilter[1].pdf (113.1 KB, 371 views)
Old 05-23-2010, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Same thin happens in my C if I don't run the AC for a bit. I was parked by some mulch at HD one day and I thought the car somehow picked up the smell, because it is a similar stink. It goes away after a minute though and doesn't always happen. They'll hear about it at my next service, but I think I know what the answer will be.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:19 PM

2010 GLK 350 Sandstone Beige
Originally Posted by GLKKa2H
Where is the (combination filter) located?: Sorry, as our GLK is a "four-in-liner" is the engine compartment (where the filter is located) quite different from the GLK 350, and thus prevent me from compare. However may the attachment, car model not known, found on BenzWorld - in gratitude to konstinger - give you an idea what to look for in your GLK.

Maybe one of your fellow GLK 350's know, and can advice?

is it the same as the cabin filter?: Obviously is there a long story regarding MB's and cabin air filters, depending on the model, MY, 2 - or 4 channel systems etc. To the best of my knowledge is there only the combination filter in question in your case.

where is the fresh air intake under the hood: See combination filter.
Is this where you change the "Filter" (known as a cabin filter) on the GLK 350?
Old 05-24-2010, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by glkbeige
Is this where you change the "Filter" (known as a cabin filter) on the GLK 350?
I am sorry for being confused by the usage of the word "Filter" here, as I don't think you will find the wording cabin filter in the Mercedes-Benz Maintenance Booklet:
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/#/servPrtsMaintManuals/.

There are many filters listed in the Maintenance Manual, like the oil -, fuel -, dust - etc. - and the combination filter. As stated in post #16 above, is to the best of my knowledge that filter the one you refer to as cabin filter.

Did I miss your point here?
Old 05-24-2010, 04:31 PM

GLK 350 4 MATIC
thank you everyone for your comments they are helpful and it gave me hope to get rid of the smell. I will try changing the combination filter and using the Fridgi-Fresh spray. Now some mentioned to spray it directly at the fresh air intake under the hood....Where is that exactly, can someone point it out with a picture or give me a clear direction.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-26-2010, 04:07 PM

GLK, MDX, Smart Car, Blazer
smelly AC system

I have the same problem with my 2007 MDX. I don't have good news for you. To try to combat my problem (whenever the AC system turns on the smell happens for about 10 mins.) the dealership has tried several 'fixes'. First time they traded out all air filters and ran an antibacterial solution through the system. That worked for a month only.
Second time they just replaced all air filters. That did nothing. This spring they pulled the entire AC system apart and cleaned it. That was about 6 hours of labour as they had to remove the dash to get at it. Thankfully I did not have to pay for this. I don't think the issue is resolved because I get little 'hints' of the smell although in summer, when the AC is always on, the car does not smell. The odor occurs throughout winter because the AC only kicks in rarely, but when it does, it's BAD.
What really hurts is this is some rare phenomenon...very few MDX owners suffer with it, so ACURA Canada is not acknowledging it as an issue.
I am poised to purchase a new GLK this Saturday and given your (similar) predicament and my propensity for bad luck, I am now having second thoughts!!
Old 05-28-2010, 12:27 PM

2010 GLK 350
When this happens it is in need for a COVERED WARRANTY A/C EVAP. SERVICE.... My Stealer told me that they would deal with it.... It smells as if a Pro football team has stored their "jocks and dirty socks" in the air ducts.... That is from my wife.... Let them deal with it. It happened to my work vehicle as well, Chevrolet serviced that under warranty as well....
Old 05-28-2010, 12:33 PM

2010 GLK 350
Originally Posted by luvsoccer
I have the same problem with my 2007 MDX. I don't have good news for you. To try to combat my problem (whenever the AC system turns on the smell happens for about 10 mins.) the dealership has tried several 'fixes'. First time they traded out all air filters and ran an antibacterial solution through the system. That worked for a month only.
Second time they just replaced all air filters. That did nothing. This spring they pulled the entire AC system apart and cleaned it. That was about 6 hours of labour as they had to remove the dash to get at it. Thankfully I did not have to pay for this. I don't think the issue is resolved because I get little 'hints' of the smell although in summer, when the AC is always on, the car does not smell. The odor occurs throughout winter because the AC only kicks in rarely, but when it does, it's BAD.
What really hurts is this is some rare phenomenon...very few MDX owners suffer with it, so ACURA Canada is not acknowledging it as an issue.
I am poised to purchase a new GLK this Saturday and given your (similar) predicament and my propensity for bad luck, I am now having second thoughts!!
Wait till they hit you with $200 oil changes, but, I guess they check the door hinge and horn as well... That is only the beginning of the sapping from your account from the service dept. $169.00 Power steering fluid change?, $359.00 Tranny fluid change? You gotta be joking... What a rip.... Back to Beemer for us when we are done with this vehicle... Love the car, it's the gouging I can't stand....
Old 06-20-2010, 12:24 PM

Received 239 Likes on 152 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
Spray a bleach solution into the system.

I've solved this problem with a 50/50 bleach/water spray. See the new thread with photos at
https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...ml#post4127359