GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

audio upgrade for 2010 GLK350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350
audio upgrade for 2010 GLK350

Waiting for delivery of new GLK350 will be my first MB. Vehicle is being delivered with standard audio but would like to upgrade to harmon kardon system. Service manager informed me that cars do not come prewired from factory to allow upgrade, looking for suggestion??
Old 06-05-2010, 02:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
Originally Posted by breeze350glk
Waiting for delivery of new GLK350 will be my first MB. Vehicle is being delivered with standard audio but would like to upgrade to harmon kardon system. Service manager informed me that cars do not come prewired from factory to allow upgrade, looking for suggestion??
There's this one guy from the Netherlands that can do anything almost.

http://www.mbenznl.nl/

He sometimes comes to various parts of the U.S. to do install of very custom stuff like that. I haven't used him yet, but people seem to talk highly of him.

I think it's a rather complicated upgrade.

I'd personally just try to enjoy the standard system.

I recently had the harmon kardon system in an E Class rental car, and it was much better than the standard system in my C & SLK, but it didn't change my life, but perhaps I'm less of a music guy.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:05 AM

GLK 350
Not sure how the 2010 compares to 2011...but my GLK350 came with the standard stereo, but IMO sounds great. The highs could be clearer, but other than that the lows and mids come in clean. The door speakers sound like they have mini subs in them =). Lastly, the speakers do not distor regardless of volume.

Any updates on your stereo upgrade decision? Did you end up doing it? If so, any details you could share?
Old 03-03-2012, 01:42 AM

Mercedes Benz GL 450, Mercedes Benz GLK 350, Mercedes Benz S 550
I have HKs on my other vehicles. Personally, no need for an upgrade. Spend that money wisely.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:03 AM

2010 GLK
I've been a little confused by this. The stock system assuming the Multimedia package is an HK unit. Thus, it has the Logic7 system. What it doesn't have is the extra speakers or dynamic volume adjustment that apparently is part of the current HK system. There may be some other differences as well, but if anyone could tell me what they are, I'd be much obliged.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Our 2012 GLK 350 with the S33 audio system, which is the Multimedia package with a single disk player after they ran out of the 6 disk changers, doesn't mention HK anywhere. While HK may build the guts, they don't put their name on anything that you can see inside the car. I have no clue where the extra speakers are mounted in the GLK. I have a feeling that without the grill openings for the other speakers, you would be looking at a massive job to replace interior panels, run the wires, install the speakers, replace the head unit, etc. After which, you have no guarantee that you could program the brain to use the new hardware. The bottom line is that these vehicles have become so complex that it is difficult to impossible to install after market hardware. Gone are the days when you could drop an upgraded stereo system and speakers in a car in an afternoon.

Wayne
Old 03-05-2012, 12:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLK350
I have HK in my GLK and have been driving a loaner all weekend (base RWD). I would probably save the money. the HK does sound slightly better but i don't really miss it. Given how the younger generation (i'm 28) thinks Mp3's are the ideal music source, it makes next to no difference..I actually think my HK sounds better with logic 7 turned off.. lol
Old 03-05-2012, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Let's get real for a minute.
1. You're listening to music in a car.
2. The acoustics are less than ideal.
3. You are bombarded by outside sounds from all directions.
4. The music source may be less than ideal for a variety of reasons.
You get my drift? Papillon1108 hit the nail squarely on the head, "Spend that money wisely."
If you care enough to listen to real music, vinyl & tubes are the only way.

Wayne
Old 03-05-2012, 03:23 PM

2010 GLK
To each his own, Wayne. I agree one should invest wisely. And I agree for the most part with what you say about car audio. But... it seems to me you ignore the facts that
1) The GLK (and Mercedes in general) are much, much quieter than the average car, reducing the impact of your third point.
2) While the acoustics aren't ideal, the ability to place speakers really close to the listener and the almost uniform configuration of the space gives the HK designers a chance to optimize in a way which is absolutely impossible with other gear, given the diversity of rooms. And if you believe HK, that's what they've endeavored to do/
3) The biggest problem is not outside road noise (at least not in a MB) but is instead getting a sweet spot in more than one place in the car (presumably the driver's seat) given the confined spaces. it's a multiplicity of speakers and tricky phase changes (ie Logic7) that purports to allow this in theory. (And I disagree with phil17... I've done a fair bit of experimentation and I believe Logic7 is an improvement... though not a gigantic one).
4) I choose the music source... and while I can't put 24/96 HD tracks in the PCMCIA interface, I can (and do) put 330kbps MP3's on which, while not perfect, are better than the system they're playing on (at the moment).
5) I won't get into the thirty year old argument about vinyl and tubes, but there is a respectable body of opinion which disagrees.

In any case, for some, the sound system is really important... not as important as the drive train, of course, but more important than (say) leather or a panoramic roof. Again, to each his own. Would I like to have had a better sound system? Yes, although I find it pretty good. And I'd be willing to put some money into upgrading it if it were feasible (though I grant your point that it probably isn't).

If I were in charge of the universe, I'd greatly upgrade the PCMCIA slot programming to allow a true database playback program which reads the ID3 tags and allows playlists... something like the squeezecenter media server. But again, that's just me.... and maybe some others.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I hear you. I'm probably just a wee bit envious of audio upgrade hardware because I've had one. In the meantime, the standard system works for me, whether I'm listening to Janis or Vivaldi. Enjoy!

Wayne
Old 03-05-2012, 05:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
Originally Posted by jfalk
I've been a little confused by this. The stock system assuming the Multimedia package is an HK unit. Thus, it has the Logic7 system. What it doesn't have is the extra speakers or dynamic volume adjustment that apparently is part of the current HK system. There may be some other differences as well, but if anyone could tell me what they are, I'd be much obliged.
To me it seems like the harman/kardon was excluded as an incorporated feature of the Multimedia package some time between MY2010 and -2012. Note 2010 GLK Class Code and Package/Option Details, 320 Multimedia Package: http://www.automobilemag.com/am/2010...s_options.html,
and 2012 -: http://www.automobilemag.com/am/2012...s_options.html.

If you go to the 2012 GLK-Class brochure, you'll in build your own, individual options, see a text: "harman/kardon LOGIC7® surround-sound system (includes Dolby® Digital 5.1 when ordered in combination with Multimedia or COMAND package)". Which I understand as either have a "full" HK with the Multimedia package - or standard audio/number of speakers.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
Originally Posted by venchka
- While HK may build the guts, they don't put their name on anything that you can see inside the car
Either you have harman/kardon - with the name on the speakers, or you don't have the h/k.
Attached Thumbnails audio upgrade for 2010 GLK350-harman-kardon.jpg  
Old 03-05-2012, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

For 2012, the HK sound system was an add on over & above the Multimedia package.
I have no idea who builds the standard head unit.

Wayne
Old 03-16-2012, 12:37 AM

Mercedes Benz GL 450, Mercedes Benz GLK 350, Mercedes Benz S 550
Originally Posted by Papillon1108
I have HKs on my other vehicles. Personally, no need for an upgrade. Spend that money wisely.
As I said previously the sound system which is a standard on the GLk, produces great accoustic sounds try playing dave matther bands song #41.

my postule is that the stocks GLK speakers are perhaps made by HK as well.But you lack the dolby sound and logic 7.

so going back to the stock glk speaker i'd suggest get a mini amp, a 10-12 inch sub, a decent cable. i tell you this will beat my hk. and the cost? less than 300 dollars.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:39 AM

GLK 350
ASded sub

I have the HK system in 2010 GLK 350 but needed more bass. The 8im sub under spare tire wasn’t cutting it for me. I put a 12in sub with built in amp and oh boy, it really made a world of difference being included into the current HK surround sound system. I’ve had other audio equipment in past cars, but the one i have now is incredible. It doesn’t blow your head off, but the clarity along with the bass is outstanding.