Considering a GLK - comments?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 TT . . .GLK?
Considering a GLK - comments?

Hello everyone. First post here.

First, I'm coming from a 2008 Audi TT 2.0FSI coupe. Absolutely love love love that car, aside from the fact that in the 2 years I have had it (purchased new) it has had an electrical wire fire, 2 transmissions, 1 steering rack and numerous other issues minor and major. The icing on the cake was 2 weeks out of warranty the flywheel died and it was $2000USD repair . ..taking 3 weeks(still don't have my TT) Fortunately, Audi Taiwan did agree to cover 85% of the repair and give me a courtesy car . . ..but I'm obviously playing with fire to keep that car out of warranty.

So that brings me to the GLK which, more so to me, seems VERY unlikely given what I'm driving now. I initially considered the 220CDI, but given the issues with the injectors that seem widespread and systematic, (e.g. not manufacturing issues but design issues) I will not go the diesel route.

So that leaves me with the GLK 300, NOT the 350 in this market. Anyone here have this engine? So far the reliability issue reported on this board seem to concentrate on a harsh downshift from 2nd to 1st. Can anyone confirm the software upgrade does resolve this?

Other issues involve the electric tailgate operation and some squeaks and rattles. So far . . .I can live with these kinds of issues. Have I got the picture right?

The spec I'm considering is as follows and I would like your input
2011 GLK 300
Sun roof
Harmon Kardon Stereo
White
Aluminum interior trim.
The rest of the car is the standard Taiwan version. Full leather, cruise, HID, 19" rims etc etc. Nothing too stand out.

Any comments on the color, the stereo or other options I must get to make the car complete? Relative to the crazy price of this car in Taiwan (about $86 000) options that make the car worth having come cheap. (e.g. in Canada, my home, I would never go for the stereo for an extra $1000, but here, it seems such a little part of the overall price that I think it is worth it...is it?)

I test drove the car and it felt great . . .something about the heaviness of the car I really enjoyed . . . .probably the contrast to my TT which is so flickable but you pay the price for that riding over the bumps on 19" rims and 35 sidewalls!

Obviously a huge change from what I'm driving, but I do spend the weekends with my 2 kids (4 and 2) in the car and though they love squeezing into the back of the TT, they are growing quickly! Also due to taxes, 2 cars is not really practical, so I need one car for all purposes!
Old 08-03-2010, 06:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
So that brings me to the GLK which, more so to me, seems VERY unlikely given what I'm driving now. I initially considered the 220CDI, but given the issues with the injectors that seem widespread and systematic, (e.g. not manufacturing issues but design issues) I will not go the diesel route.!

The BlueEFFICIENCY injector issue was/is definitely a manufacturing issue, in the intersection between poor workmanship by an outside supplier and failing Mercedes-Benz QA. May now be resolved, as number of reported failing cases has declined vastly.

So that leaves me with the GLK 300, NOT the 350 in this market. Anyone here have this engine? So far the reliability issue reported on this board seem to concentrate on a harsh downshift from 2nd to 1st. Can anyone confirm the software upgrade does resolve this?

Not knowing the availabilty of GLK models on your market, do I point at the GLK 350 CDI 4MATIC, which doesn't have the injectors in question. Other 4MATIC CDIs available on (German) market are: GLK 220 CDI 4MATIC BlueEFFICIENCY and GLK 250 CDI 4MATIC BlueEFFICIENCY. Both with higher torque than the GLK 300 4MATIC (and the GLK 350 4MATIC), less Hp, and (average) mileage for the CDIs approx. 35 MPG vs. 22 MPG for the gas's.

Harmon Kardon Stereo

Obviously a huge change from what I'm driving, but I do spend the weekends with my 2 kids (4 and 2) in the car and though they love squeezing into the back of the TT, they are growing quickly! Also due to taxes, 2 cars is not really practical, so I need one car for all purposes!

The space of the cargo compartment of the GLK is by far the smallest in the class, compared with for instance Audi Q5 and BMW X3. We get along with it, as we are only two of us, travelling mostly on longer trips. In your case would I give requirement for cargo space a second thought. Given MB is your preferred manufacturer, is the (new) E-class a huge car. The entry price of it is in our country lower than for the GLK 4MATICs.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Me, 2008 Hummer H2 Wife, 2010 Mercedes GLK350
We have 2 kids 4 and 8, and have taken the GLK on 2 6000 km round trips in the last 6 months, and love the GLK for road trips. The kids have enough room in the back seats, and there is enough room for all of our luggage in the back. (2 suitcases, backpack, case of water and some other small bags) You do have to pack a bit better, but there is enough room, and we love it on the highway! Quiet, comfortable and fun to drive, even after 12 hours in a day!
Old 08-04-2010, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
I'm huge fan of gas engines, but I would get diesel instead of 300, at least you would have the torque and fuel economy. With 300 you get neither.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Audi TT to a GLK? What happened?

How about a...

or a

or even a...

Last edited by MBRedux; 08-12-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:50 AM

GLK
GLK is a crossover vehicle compare to other SUV. Its rides like a sedan with extra cargo space. Most comments I heard on the GLK are positive but still early and new model. I like the white color, which I think most popular one. Price wise it is better deal than BMWx3. I love my white GLK, so quiet and smooth ride even with the 19 inch wheel. The 350 engine of MB been around for a long time and best ever they produce and the 7speed transmission. I would say you can't go wrong with this. GO FOR IT!
Old 08-12-2010, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
^ My question was, how can you go from a fantastic handling *car* like the TT to a small SUV like a GLK? It's more than a leap to go from an AudiTT to a crossover SUV like the GLK... which, by the way does drive like a boat compared to a TT.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Here's my 2 cents "What are you waiting for!!!!"
Old 08-27-2010, 05:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by MBRedux
^ My question was, how can you go from a fantastic handling *car* like the TT to a small SUV like a GLK? It's more than a leap to go from an AudiTT to a crossover SUV like the GLK... which, by the way does drive like a boat compared to a TT.
It's all very personal, I like switching between a 911 and a GLK! The latter is so much quieter and I can enjoy the music more.. Keyless go, nifty iPod integration, you name it..
Old 08-27-2010, 08:13 AM

GLK
I would suggest looking at what your top 3 - 5 requirements are for a new car.

The desire to have a roomy car for the kids is a good example. But I didn't see any other reasons in your first post. If that is the only reason, you only have the kids on the weekends (2/7 days), and otherwise you would be much happier in a smaller sporty car, then the GLK may not be right for you (as much as we love ours).

To be honest, we would not be driving one if not for my wife's burning desire to own an SUV. Everyone else in the suburbs has one, so we needed one (She also had to move the the suburbs, but that's a whole other issue .) Must be lack of caffeine so far this morning...

I was pushing for a sporty wagon (as discussed in the X3 to GLK thread going on now: https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...ed-x3-glk.html ).

But now that we have it, I REALLY like the GLK.

So ask yourself, what are your top 3 - 5 criteria that your new car should have? e.g.-

1. Room for 3 - 4 comfortably? Maybe room for 5 - 6 so the kids can take friends?

2. Would you be happier with a sporty sedan more so than a small SUV?

3. Need a bit more cargo room that the TT and maybe even a small sedan? e.g.- for weekend camping trips, runs to Lowes or Home Depot, etc.

4. Need sporty performance, more in line with a BMW M sports package equipped 3-series than a small SUV?

5. Prefer a very low seating position of a sports car (when we got our Mercedes ML a few years back (wife again (sorry)) it felt to me like I was sitting on top of a flag pole waving back and forth in the wind, it sat so high compared to my RX-7)

If you can list out what you would like your new car to do, you can probably answer your question.

Nothing in the list above except the seating position would be entirely ruled out by a GLK, so you may be happy in one.

You could even consider a suspension package to make it handle better. I did at one point, but decided against it since that is a slippery slope leading to a fire breather that is more suited for track than pot-hole filled streets. I can't just do one mod...

If you do decide a small SUV is right for you, the GLK is a great one. Good luck, and hope you drink the kool-aid!
Old 08-27-2010, 11:33 AM

2011 GLK350
You might want to give this

http://myproductadvisor.com/mpa/auto_/inputSummary.do

a try. It's a pretty cool tool, lets you fill in as much or as little about your preferences the spits out a list of the ten vehicles with closest fit. Models are North American so keep that in mind if you're shopping in Taiwan, but it might narrow down the choices or even pop out a vehicle you never considered!

Kn.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
I agree.

The handling isn't bad on the GLK. It's quite good.

However, the high center of gravity that even going around city streets just doesn't feel anything like driving a TT.

I very much enjoyed my week rental of a GLK, however, again, it's very different from a car like a TT.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Audi TT to a GLK? What happened?
"What Happened?"

Didn't you read his post? I've had antique British cars that gave me less trouble than his Audi gave him.

Come to think of it, I had an Audi 5000 back in the day and it was the worst car I ever owned, and I'm including the antique British cars!