New MB GLK350 owner, some questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350
Smile New MB GLK350 owner, some questions

Hey everyone,

Finally decided it was the right time to get my first car and purchased a GLK350 on Saturday (picking it up tomorrow).

I pretty much got it with the three big packages; the AMG style package, Premium Package, and Navigation Package. However, the car they had in stock did not have the rear view camera.

My question is; is it possible for me to get a rear view camera installed later on from a dealer? If not, what about aftermarket ones? Are they easy to install? (Since I already have the navi package so I'm assuming all the connectors should already be in place).

I initially asked my salesman the same question and he said no off the top of his head, but it was almost closing and I didn't want to inquire further, so I thought I would see what the rest of you think.

Thanks in advance. Can't wait to pick up my car tomorrow.

PS: I'm in Canada
Old 09-21-2010, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Dealer option might be way too expensive, but I'm sure there are aftermarket places that might be able to do it. I would stop at some Car Audio shop and ask there. I don't think anybody on this forum has installed aftermarket camera on GLK. I haven't come accross it.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Adding a camera to the nav might require a software upgrade, too.

You might be better off getting one of the aftermarket proximity alarms that beep.

MB for your first car, huh? Nice.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 c400 sport
start your research here
Old 09-21-2010, 03:33 PM

GLK
I looked into adding a backup camera to our ML; here are some links I saved:

Backup camera installed to factory system, with pics! - MBWorld.org Forums

2 different backup camera retrofits - Benzworld.org - Mercedes Benz Discussion Forum

G-NET Mercedes Benz C Class TV Nav Video Input Interface. Connect a DVD Player, TV Tuner, Reverse Backup Video Camera, iPod Video, Aftermarket Navigation Or Other AV Source To Your Car's OEM GPS Navigation Headunit - LCD Screen Display - Nav System.

Mercedes Radios and Navigation

Navigation System Interfaces - Nav-Interface

Mercedes - RVCams Backup Cameras and Rear View Systems: Voyager Color Keyhole Camera

G-NET Mercedes Benz ML Class TV Nav Video Input Interface. Connect a DVD Player, TV Tuner, Reverse Backup Video Camera, iPod Video, Aftermarket Navigation Or Other AV Source To Your Car's OEM GPS Navigation Headunit - LCD Screen Display - Nav System.

Hope some of those help. I ended up not doing it so I can't offer any hands-on advice.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:36 PM

GLK 350
Thanks for all the replies and helpful links everyone.

Picked up the car last night and it has been a joy to drive.
Don't think I can bring myself to do any aftermarket work to it at the moment (since it still looks all nice and shiny from the factory ), so I guess I'll try to live with the proximity sensors for the time being.

I did some research on most of the aftermarket cameras and it doesn't seem like it is as simple an addition as I would have thought. That being said, I noticed where the factory rear view camera would have been above the license plate, there is a plastic piece that LOOK removable. I wonder if there is indeed a connector under the piece where a replacement camera like the factory one such as this could be simply plugged and slotted in:

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/int...z-glk-350.html
Old 09-22-2010, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
This could be a really easy job or a really tough one.

I'd say you need to have a talk with a service advisor at your local MB dealer. He can tell you if the car is pre-wired and what else will be needed.

The price is good on that aftermarket camera but the listing doesn't say anything about OS.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
if you have parking sensors you don't really need the RVC.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLK350
sorry but let me get this right since i dont have navi on my GLK since our TL and MDX has it. but if you get Navi you DON'T get the camera on the GLK?... I didn't know they made cars like that, lol
Old 09-23-2010, 02:14 AM

GLK 350
Basically its weird, but the rear view camera is an OPTION you have to add on if you get the navigation/multimedia package. Really wish they would have just included it; would have been icing on the cake.

Getting used to the parking sensors though, so hopefully I'll get over the absence of the camera.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:06 AM

GLK
Originally Posted by phil17
sorry but let me get this right since i dont have navi on my GLK since our TL and MDX has it. but if you get Navi you DON'T get the camera on the GLK?... I didn't know they made cars like that, lol
We have Navigation (COMAND) and the rear view camera. Pretty common.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by MilesBFree
We have Navigation (COMAND) and the rear view camera. Pretty common.
I think his point was opposite that he hasn't seen cars with Navi and without RVC. Those of us who got MM package got cameras. COMMAND alone doesn't get anymore I guess.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
I have NAV but no RVC but I have parktronic. To add RVC is another 1200 saleman said. Everything is an options
Old 10-03-2010, 06:17 PM

GLK 350
Yeah, I'm starting to get used to just using the parktronic sensors.

Thing is, up here I think the Rear View Camera option is only $450, but for me it was either pay 450 and wait another 3 months, or drive off with a new car with every other option I wanted in 1 day. I went with the latter.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:41 PM

2010 Glk 350 4matic
No RVC

I just picked up a pre-owned certified 2010 Glk350 4matic a couple days ago. First off I do love the car. Unfortunately it does not have the camera, nor the parktronic sensors. This is the only thing disappointing about the car. Incidentally, I do have the Command Navi with I believe the 4 inch screen as well as the premium package. However it does not have the Multimedia package. I thing I have most everything the MM package has except the camera. I also wonder if I can have the camera installed to interface with the existing equipment. If anyone can answer that I would appreciate it.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by nadee57
I just picked up a pre-owned certified 2010 Glk350 4matic a couple days ago. First off I do love the car. Unfortunately it does not have the camera, nor the parktronic sensors. This is the only thing disappointing about the car. Incidentally, I do have the Command Navi with I believe the 4 inch screen as well as the premium package. However it does not have the Multimedia package. I thing I have most everything the MM package has except the camera. I also wonder if I can have the camera installed to interface with the existing equipment. If anyone can answer that I would appreciate it.
I don't think you have Command option. First batches of GLK with MM included RVC. Also Command screen should be 7 inch (5 inch is standard no Command). Navi can come with standard screen which is called UMI, but it's different from Command option.

see this for pics and more info https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...ew-system.html

Prolly can install aftermarket camera, but it'll cost a lot of $$$ to make work with stock screen.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
The back up camera is not a very big deal. We don't use it that much. But if you have cats and dogs, little kids and nosey neighbors, it wouldn't hurt to have one in the car. The problem is that you must look down at the screen to see where you are headed while backing in reverse. Feels strange. I simply turn my head around, check all my mirrors and beep my horn anyways.

I prefer keeping my eyes level and on the road around me. That's why I wish our back-up camera system was incorporated into the rear-v mirror. Some companies keep it there for good reason, so you can still see peripherally as the vehicle is backing up. Very cool! How stupid to now have a BU system that will park your car, or guide you in, etc. Turn your freaking head lazy bums. These BU cameras were and are meant for one thing, to see if the dog, cat or some other poor creature is under the bumper. If the coast is clear, it's time to TURN YOUR HEAD AROUND.

That's a hitch for a boat trailer.

Last edited by MBRedux; 12-06-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:06 PM

2010 Glk 350 4matic
No RVC

Hey NYCGLK,
Thanks for your post. I do however have the Command option. I have the larger screen. Was just guessing its size but it is considerably larger than the stock screen in the GLK. Also I have the option list from the dealer sticker which also specifically states the Command Option. As I said I was disappointed at no camera but was willing to look past this. I would like to get one if its not to much trouble. Just hoping someone here has had a similar experience.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Are you in US or Canada? There is an option that disables RVC in reverse.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:34 AM

2010 Glk 350 4matic
I'm in the US.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by nadee57
I'm in the US.
I guess it might be a later model when they made Command available as stand alone option. Check in the Command settings to make sure it's not disabled.

The good news is it should be pretty easy to intergrate RVC with Command. The tough part is finding somebody to do a good job for a reasonable price.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBRedux
The back up camera is not a very big deal. We don't use it that much. But if you have cats and dogs, little kids and nosey neighbors, it wouldn't hurt to have one in the car. The problem is that you must look down at the screen to see where you are headed while backing in reverse. Feels strange. I simply turn my head around, check all my mirrors and beep my horn anyways.

I prefer keeping my eyes level and on the road around me. That's why I wish our back-up camera system was incorporated into the rear-v mirror. Some companies keep it there for good reason, so you can still see peripherally as the vehicle is backing up. Very cool! How stupid to now have a BU system that will park your car, or guide you in, etc. Turn your freaking head lazy bums. These BU cameras were and are meant for one thing, to see if the dog, cat or some other poor creature is under the bumper. If the coast is clear, it's time to TURN YOUR HEAD AROUND.

That's a hitch for a boat trailer.

I've never seen it in the mirror; that's kinda cool.

One nice thing about the camera is the yellow lines that show the limit to be able to open the rear hatch.

I find both the yellow and red are somewhat conservative, meaning there is still several more inches to go.

I have a camera on both my cars and I really like them.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:42 PM

GLK350
quote for RVC from dealership

I was given a quote for $1800 at MB dealership to install RVC on 2013 GLK. Has anyone got an aftermarket RVC installed?
Old 09-28-2012, 02:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 C300 Sport Palladium Silver & 2012 GLK350 4matic Black
Originally Posted by avnglk
I was given a quote for $1800 at MB dealership to install RVC on 2013 GLK. Has anyone got an aftermarket RVC installed?
Spent around 255 USD for parts and install of aftermarket camera.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:21 PM

GLK350
could you please explain us in detail of how you installed the backup camera. That could save us a lot of money.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New MB GLK350 owner, some questions