GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Interesting pricing by MB

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 10:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Interesting pricing by MB

My GLK listed for around $39K, I was at the dealership today and they had a new E350 coupe that listed for $57K with about the same equipment as the GLK. If you study these two vehicles you will see that it costs more to build the GLK then the E350 coupe. More metal and same drivetrain and same equipment, but they charge about 40% more for the new E350 coupe. What a ripoff.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C350 Coupe Loaded
Originally Posted by SL2003driver
My GLK listed for around $39K, I was at the dealership today and they had a new E350 coupe that listed for $57K with about the same equipment as the GLK. If you study these two vehicles you will see that it costs more to build the GLK then the E350 coupe. More metal and same drivetrain and same equipment, but they charge about 40% more for the new E350 coupe. What a ripoff.
Yeah, I was at the dealer the other day and was checking out the other BENZ products. I noticed this as well. The GLK may not come with all the fancy leather door panels or the softer materials usually in the "higher end" models. But for hte most part it appears to me anyhow that the build quality is solid on the GLK and shares the same quality as the other models. This is what I think makes the GLK a good value.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
LED cost same/less to make, yet Samsung is charging 40% more than regular LCD TV. What do they do? They keep milking the higher price. Oops - now there's an LCD glut and Samsung has too many TVs.
It will work for MB because E coupe is limited quantity, but if volume picks up the competition will heat up also.
PL
Old 10-19-2010, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
there are quite a few example of this...Take G wagen - 110K for looks and history.

also some cars are made to attract ppl into the brand and dealerships not so much for profits. If GLK is great car and meets expectations of the younger generation they will be back to buy "overpriced" ML/GL/E/S etc.

Lastly cheaper cars to a certain point are always better value (money-wise). RAV 4 is better value than GLK. Of course once safety becomes an issue, it might not hold for many cars.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
"Take G wagen - 110K for looks and history."

Funny, I think the G wagon is ugly; reminds me of the Suzuki Samauri.

I agree the GLK is a deal, especially when compared to other MBs.

Gotta love it!
Old 10-19-2010, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GLK350
Originally Posted by bzliteyear
LED cost same/less to make, yet Samsung is charging 40% more than regular LCD TV. What do they do? They keep milking the higher price. Oops - now there's an LCD glut and Samsung has too many TVs.
It will work for MB because E coupe is limited quantity, but if volume picks up the competition will heat up also.
PL
Apologies in advance for the thread derail.

"LED" tv is actually a LCD tv with LED lights for backlighting. LED tv doesn't use LED arrays for the actual viewing area. Calling it LED is actually marketing spin. So, I don't see how "LED" tv could be cheaper to make than LCD since it is the same thing with extra lights.

The only true LED tv on the market is Sony's OLED, which is only commercially available in small sizes (less than 10") and is super expensive. Larger sizes are appearing at electronics shows but they're prototypes.

Kn.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
I'm not an engineer, but I heard this from the company who supplies chips to the current LED TV leader. While I agree w/ you on the marketing "spin" - here's what I heard.
1) LED assembled in different(less expensive) location than LCD, and 2) LED uses fewer AND newer chips that power the lighting - less expensive and generates less heat.
PL
Old 10-19-2010, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 177 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
GLK is just a C-class with a different body.

E class is indeed more expensively built than C-class.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:07 AM

CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by lkchris

Can you give us some additional insight? Do you mean cheaper metal, not as good engineering, cheaper materials? I've owned a new CL550, SL550, CLS63 and GLK350. From a build quality they are all the same, I found the CL had more insulation and the CL and SL had the big $$$ suspension and of course the CLS63 is a bad bad bad boy . But I did not see what you are talking about. Expensively built? I would of loved to have the CL and the SL without that suspension, sometimes the Germans go overboard with the complexity. I like the GLK and I have looked at the new E class. I see the same metals and quality control, I think you are just paying more because they can charge more. I do love the design of the new E coupe.
Attached Thumbnails Interesting pricing by MB-2008_0222house0003.jpg   Interesting pricing by MB-cl-2008.jpg  

Last edited by SL2003driver; 10-20-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
Taxation pays a role in this I guess, another one may be strategic: Number of sales / owners ability (willingness) to pay, and it matters where the cars are built.

A number of prices in our country, entry models, converted to your currency:
GLK 220 CDI (4Matic): $ 99.300
C-class 220 CDI sedan: $ 79,500
C-class 220 CDI wagon: $ 82.600
E-class 220 CDI sedan: $ 92.100
E-class 220 CDI wagon: $ 95.000
E coupe 200 CGI C: $ 91.200
E coupe 350 CGI C: $ 158.500

Last edited by GLKKa2H; 10-21-2010 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Another typo!
Old 10-20-2010, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by lkchris

lol how so? E has same tranny, same engine, same paint, almost same interior as GLK. Both are built in gernmany, different factories tho. And E is based on C platform just like GLK.

E just appeals to ppl with more money who are willing to pay for it.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
IMO the higher price is more market driven than due to manufacturing cost. At the end of the day the E class is a more popular platform and the market will support a higher price. It also gives them more room for incentives for remaining inventory and when things slow down.

The GLK is a great value, there's nothing wrong with that
Old 10-20-2010, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
The higher price of the E class can mostly be attributed to the safety features. Pre-Safe, Integrated Restraint System, 11 air bags, safety systems always seem to add to the price.

As for build quality, I watched as my salesman went up to an E class and gave it a good thump in the rear quarter with a closed hand, to demonstrate the stiffness of the body panel. I wouldn't dare try that with my soda can of a C class. And yes, the E has more insulation and upgraded materials, but sometimes those are hard to notice unless someone is there pointing them out to you.

The GLK is still the best deal when comparing options/engine in the lineup. This is especially true when you compare it with its brother the C class. However, when trying to compare a GLK to other higher models it gets a lot more tricky once you get passed the engine.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:45 PM

CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by chilledbenz
The higher price of the E class can mostly be attributed to the safety features. Pre-Safe, Integrated Restraint System, 11 air bags, safety systems always seem to add to the price.

As for build quality, I watched as my salesman went up to an E class and gave it a good thump in the rear quarter with a closed hand, to demonstrate the stiffness of the body panel. I wouldn't dare try that with my soda can of a C class. And yes, the E has more insulation and upgraded materials, but sometimes those are hard to notice unless someone is there pointing them out to you.

The GLK is still the best deal when comparing options/engine in the lineup. This is especially true when you compare it with its brother the C class. However, when trying to compare a GLK to other higher models it gets a lot more tricky once you get passed the engine.
Good point, I can see the cost of the advanced safety systems. I don't see any difference in metal or other parts except at the SL/S/CL level with insulation suspensions and leather quality. The advanced safety could add a bunch of $$$$
Old 10-21-2010, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by SL2003driver
Good point, I can see the cost of the advanced safety systems. I don't see any difference in metal or other parts except at the SL/S/CL level with insulation suspensions and leather quality. The advanced safety could add a bunch of $$$$
Yeah Pre-Safe should be one of the selling points on a Mercedes Benz, but I haven't heard much about it in the press. Even when the E class launched they publicized other features and never mentioned it.

Check out what it can do:

Pre Safe helps prepare the occupants for a possible collision before one occurs. If PRE-SAFE senses a possible accident based on brake pedal application pattern, steering-wheel input pattern, or Electronic Stability Control (ESC) activation level, it will take action to help protect you better depending on the situation, including electrically tensioning the front seat belts, adjusting the front passenger seat for potentially more favorable air bag and seat-belt effectiveness, and closing the side windows and sunroof (if a possible rollover is detected).
Old 10-22-2010, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
The funny thing is, with all this talk about pricing I didn't buy my GLK because it was such a great deal (although that didn't hurt!).

I wanted a smaller SUV so I looked at the small Acura, RAV4, the X3, the Nissan Whatever, etc. and the GLK was my hands-down favorite.

I might have paid more if I had to but I was pretty pleased when I saw what it cost.