GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Dealer Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 135/ GLK 350 4Matic Sand Beige, Parktronic, Lighting Package, Heated Seats, Running Boards
Dealer Issue

Thursday I took my GLK in for the 20K B service at nearest MB dealer. I waited for service to be completed which I had no problem with. My Service Adviser told me the car was ready so I paid and drove off. The first thing I noticed was service book was not filled out so I turned around and got that taken care of. I also noticed some stains on my OZ Canova wheels, but thought it was just road grime or brake dust after dealer car wash.
Anyway yesterday I was washing it and it was not brake dust or road grime, but actual stains in the wheels (see attached pics). When I tried to remove the stains with my wheel cleaner they did not come out.

I think it's from either the brake fluid during the change or some type of cleaning solvent. The technician had to see this, but chose not to say anything. Maybe he thought it was no issue? Of course by the time I called they were closed so I left a voice mail and emailed my adviser with photos attached. I'm waiting to hear something tomorrow. I've never seen anything like this before. Is it necessary to go over your car with a fine tooth comb before you leave? I'm not going to call them out yet on this forum. Hopefully they will do the right thing and square this away. Anyway have any of you run into a situation like this and if so any suggestions? Moderator feel free to move if not in right location.
Attached Thumbnails Dealer Issue-dsc01673.jpg   Dealer Issue-dsc01674.jpg   Dealer Issue-dsc01677.jpg  
Old 02-20-2011, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Wow! Yup looks like they did something wrong! My guess is brake fluid as well, but it appears blue in your pix. Not sure if MB is using DOT-5 silicone brake fluid which is blue or not. It appears to have ruined your finish. Hope things work out! Good luck!

Next time, YES, you must go over your car with a fine tooth comb. It's sad that it has come to this, but that's what it takes. Most dealerships these days have cut their work force in half, they work their techs to the bone, reduce their repair time, and have raised service/repair costs to the customer. These poor guys simply don't have the time to care for your car as well. Yes, they are rushed!

Here's a tip. Before leaving them your car for repair/service, simple make note below your signature on the service order form of any items that are already damaged on the car. (ie scratch on RR fender, etc. If there is no damage, don't write anything.)

However alway conclude with: *There is no (other) damage to car other than what is stated, if anything!*... Make sure you initial it with the right date.

They may look at you funny, but who cares! They'll have it writing that you are NOW PAYING ATTENTION, and that's important.

So consider yourself warned... don't leave until you have fully check out the car.

Last edited by MBRedux; 02-20-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Is that all on the same wheel or different ones. If it is on the same wheel or not I would suggest that you get under the vehicle to see if you can spot the bleeder valve for the brakes or if there are any apparent wet spots. This would not only help your case but insure that they get you a new wheel or whatever it takes to make you whole again. Please let us know.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 135/ GLK 350 4Matic Sand Beige, Parktronic, Lighting Package, Heated Seats, Running Boards
Guys,

Thanks for the replies. All the wheels are damaged some more than others. The stains look black or dark purple, but could have been any color when spilled. I never ran into something like this while stationed in Germany. Dealers might not of been very friendly or provided loaner cars, but service work was spot on. I will continue to up date this post. Hopefully they will take ownership and fix it!
Old 02-20-2011, 09:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
It is ironical that at the 20 K mark they are supposed to replace the brake fluid and in another section it say inspect brake fluid level and correct if necessary. They are supposed to rotate the tires and inspect brake pads you would think that this should have all been done while the wheels were off. MBRedux has the right idea just can't trust them.

Last edited by MKenM; 02-20-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
That sux, they should take care of this.

Can't believe they gave your car like this, they usually wash it after service and make sure it's nice and clean.

Also my dealer does walk around to look for existing damages and takes pictures of the car when you bring it in.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
The brake fluid flush system leaked and it probably settled in the inner cup of each wheel. When you took the car and drove off, that's when the centrifugal force took over and sent the fluid out through the sides of the wheels. It stained the clear coat.

I would inspect the paint on your car as well for any damage as it may have splashed up onto the sides of the car as you were driving home!
Old 02-23-2011, 09:35 PM

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
that really sucks.. sorry to hear that!! the second pic kinda looks like a hand print? i have an appointment tomorrow morning to have the B service done! so help me god if that happens to me, the dealer will be buying me new rims!!