GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

How To: Replace Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2011 | 11:47 AM

MB C450 AMG Sport
How To: Replace Brake Pads

I need to replace my brake pads, i am purchasing the EBC redstuff pads for the car, along with the brake pad sensor, i just need a quick how to post to guide me through the install, all help is appreciated.
thnx
Old 04-04-2011 | 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Have you ever done this before? It's pretty much standardized... Once you do one, they're all basically the same. If you haven't, don't mess with them... leave it to someone who knows what they're doing... your life depends on it.

Last edited by MBRedux; 04-04-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-04-2011 | 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Yeah, start with something non-safety-oriented like changing your oil.

FWIW I think the rotors must be changed as well.
Old 04-04-2011 | 07:05 PM

MB C450 AMG Sport
Have you ever done this before? It's pretty much standardized... Once you do one, they're all basically the same. If you haven't, don't mess with them... leave it to someone who knows what they're doing... you life depends on it.
I'd like to do one, so they all become basically the same, i want to do it on my car because i have never done it on a mercedes, sorry for wanting to do something on my own. I appreciate your concern however, and i am fully aware that my life depends on my install, if you dont want to help tho, its ok, ill probably end up paying 550 dollars which is what the dealer asks for a very simple install, something I would rather not pay for, and learn to do something useful myself, isnt that what these forums are all about, learning from fellow owners to do useful things? sorry for venting, i dont mean to be mean, and once again, appreciate any help.
Old 04-04-2011 | 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
...sorry for wanting to do something on my own.

Lighten up, dude; MBRedux is just lookin' out for you.

There are lots of how-to books and websites that cover disk brake redos. There are several tricks involved; some are brand or model specific, some are universal.

Do some research and then decide if you want to tackle the job.
Old 04-04-2011 | 07:34 PM

MB C450 AMG Sport
I know he is, and like I said, I appreciate that alot, and i dont want to fight or come off as rude, im just trying to learn, and i thought I would start here, if your opinion is to start elsewhere, i'll do that, but once again, i thank him and you for the advice, im just asking for those several tricks that are model and brand specific, please dont take any of this the wrong way, im not trying to attack anyone, just looking for help. sorry if i seemed rude.
Old 04-04-2011 | 08:39 PM

2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Originally Posted by GLKCUSCO1234
I know he is, and like I said, I appreciate that alot, and i dont want to fight or come off as rude, im just trying to learn, and i thought I would start here, if your opinion is to start elsewhere, i'll do that, but once again, i thank him and you for the advice, im just asking for those several tricks that are model and brand specific, please dont take any of this the wrong way, im not trying to attack anyone, just looking for help. sorry if i seemed rude.
One thing you should know is that if the pads have worn to "end of life" then the rotors should also be turned to remove any imperfections and true them up to the new pads. Since the rotors are harder than the pads the rotors will wear into the new pads and wear them prematurely if you don't turn them.

I know you would like to do this on your own but there are too many other issues that need to be contended with. I can give you more reasons not to do it on your own if you like.

If you still think you want to pursue this please continue to post.

Trending Topics

Old 04-04-2011 | 09:33 PM

MB C450 AMG Sport
I will, thanx for the post, the pads are not completely spent, they are just nearing the end of their life, however, i'll make sure to check the rotors once im in there, ill keep you all posted, and take lots of pictures, again, thanks to all of you for your help, all of it is appreciated.
Old 04-04-2011 | 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Check You Tube for DIY videos! Good luck!
Old 04-05-2011 | 12:08 AM

MB C450 AMG Sport
Check You Tube for DIY videos! Good luck!
I will, thanx again for ur concern, and i didnt mean to snd rude, ill post thru the job, once i get the parts ofcourse.
Old 04-06-2011 | 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MKenM
One thing you should know is that if the pads have worn to "end of life" then the rotors should also be turned to remove any imperfections and true them up to the new pads. Since the rotors are harder than the pads the rotors will wear into the new pads and wear them prematurely if you don't turn them.

I know you would like to do this on your own but there are too many other issues that need to be contended with. I can give you more reasons not to do it on your own if you like.

If you still think you want to pursue this please continue to post.
Are you sure about this?

I thought I read somewhere that the rotors do not have enough material to be turned and need to be replaced instead.
Old 04-06-2011 | 08:32 PM

2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Originally Posted by rmfnla
Are you sure about this?

I thought I read somewhere that the rotors do not have enough material to be turned and need to be replaced instead.
Thats not the case, the issue is how the rotors wear. They are usually good for at least two times through the lathe.

What it comes down to is the grooves worn into the rotors and any warping due to excessive heat. If those two factors don't come into play that will extend the life of the rotors.
Old 04-07-2011 | 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If your brakes do not pulsate during hard stops, and the rotors appear to be evenly worn, with no ridges and less than 60K miles, you can deglaze the surface by roughing them up a little using 40 grit wet/dry sandpaper to help break in your your new pads.
Old 04-07-2011 | 12:45 PM

'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
Agree

Originally Posted by MBRedux
If your brakes do not pulsate during hard stops, and the rotors appear to be evenly worn, with no ridges and less than 60K miles, you can deglaze the surface by roughing them up a little using 40 grit wet/dry sandpaper to help break in your your new pads.

I agree -- I've done that many times on my SLK55 AMG after track events. Eventually, I replaced the rotors -- but I changed pads 3-4 times before replacing the rotors. I've gone through a set of pads on one weekend of heavy track usage.

Pulsating during hard stops can be due to changes in the molecular structure of just a portion of the surface of rotors caused by heat soak from hot pads when the vehicle is parked without an adequate cool down. Duh -- I've had this happen more than once. Thankfully, this can usually be corrected by roughing the surface of the rotors as MBRedux has described.
Attached Thumbnails How To: Replace Brake Pads-slktracklg.jpg  

Last edited by slk55er; 04-07-2011 at 05:42 PM. Reason: addition
Old 04-07-2011 | 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
brakes are pretty easy to do. I read on ML forums that MBs have very easy set ups on their cars. I'd check C-forum as brake set up should be very similar if not identical.

I replaced brakes and rotors on my old Toyota and friend's Mazda 3. Mazda was tricky with parking brake setup, needed special tool that you can rent at any autostore.