GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK running boards - Is this OEM? (pics)

Old 04-20-2011, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK
GLK running boards - Is this OEM? (pics)

Hi all,

I purchased a pair of running boards for my GLK from eBay. The seller claims that it's an OEM piece, but it came in an unmarked box and does not have any paperwork that says that it's an OEM piece. It does not even have a mercedes logo or the name anywhere.

A few other things that I am not so happy with are...
1) It is missing two nuts. It's supposed to have 10.
2) Both pieces says "rechts" (right in German) although it's a pair of right and left ones.
3) The finishing of the rubber bushings on the aluminum is suspiciously poor.

Can folks who have installed running boards themselves please chime in?
See pics below...

Thank you very much.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 350X :0
almost any accessory from MB comes with MB logos.... was this an open boxed set?

How much savings did you obtain?

Does this answer from your seller:

"Description: Factory Running Board Fit which model: 2010-2011 Mercedes Benz GLK-Class Condition: New-In-Original Package Material: Aluminum Save over 50% from factory retail price with our factory style aluminum running board with the same look and functionality !! OEM Factory Style Sport Running Board Made of Aluminum 100% new-in-original package!! Direct bolt to the factory pre-drilled holes Perform just like factory running board kit Side protection to your 10-11 Mercedes Benz GLK-Class OEM fitment designed for easy installation & Installation instruction is included!"

Old 04-20-2011, 01:53 AM

2012 C350 Coupe Loaded
I bought my set from a MB Dealer here in Denver. The only difference I can see is that my set came in 2 boxes. Each box had a unique part number. One for the left and one for right. Each box contained a running board AND a new large plastic attachment piece. You will be removing a large plastic piece that is already installed on your car and replacing with the larger one provided. You reuse ALL of the nuts already on your car and then add 5 of the 10 they provide you for each side.

The boards in your picture look EXACTLY like what I got at the Dealer. IMO the boards are mostly for show. One of my running boards was missing one of the rubber studs. When I investigated why I found that some of the studs, three I think. One at each end and one in the middle are somewhat holding the assembly together. When you install these be careful if you have to loosen them to adjust. They don't come off very easily and if you pull to hard to get them back off, you can snap one of the studs because three of them actually go all the way through the assembly to hold the aluminum down against the plastic. If this happens it sucks because you cannot buy the studs for these things.

The biggest PITA when installing these things is making sure they are straight and snap all the way on. You want to be sure they are exactly where you want them before you push them on tight because they are difficult to remove. It is actually pretty tough to push them over the clips all the way on just under the rear doors. Its hard to explain without a diagram but I am sure you will see exactly what I am talking about when you install them. The fit is very tight because they are cut perfectly to match the GLK. This is a good thing because it looks really good after proper install. But the perfect fit means hard to push on areas.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:49 AM

2010 GLK
Originally Posted by mr.mbenz
almost any accessory from MB comes with MB logos.... was this an open boxed set?

How much savings did you obtain?

Does this answer from your seller:

"Description: Factory Running Board Fit which model: 2010-2011 Mercedes Benz GLK-Class Condition: New-In-Original Package Material: Aluminum Save over 50% from factory retail price with our factory style aluminum running board with the same look and functionality !! OEM Factory Style Sport Running Board Made of Aluminum 100% new-in-original package!! Direct bolt to the factory pre-drilled holes Perform just like factory running board kit Side protection to your 10-11 Mercedes Benz GLK-Class OEM fitment designed for easy installation & Installation instruction is included!"

Here's the original eBay ad. There wasn't much description although the item was listed as new OEM piece. I followed up with him to make sure it was original.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_500wt_1182
Old 04-20-2011, 02:56 AM

2010 GLK
Originally Posted by cyberglk350
I bought my set from a MB Dealer here in Denver. The only difference I can see is that my set came in 2 boxes. Each box had a unique part number. One for the left and one for right. Each box contained a running board AND a new large plastic attachment piece. You will be removing a large plastic piece that is already installed on your car and replacing with the larger one provided. You reuse ALL of the nuts already on your car and then add 5 of the 10 they provide you for each side.

The boards in your picture look EXACTLY like what I got at the Dealer. IMO the boards are mostly for show. One of my running boards was missing one of the rubber studs. When I investigated why I found that some of the studs, three I think. One at each end and one in the middle are somewhat holding the assembly together. When you install these be careful if you have to loosen them to adjust. They don't come off very easily and if you pull to hard to get them back off, you can snap one of the studs because three of them actually go all the way through the assembly to hold the aluminum down against the plastic. If this happens it sucks because you cannot buy the studs for these things.

The biggest PITA when installing these things is making sure they are straight and snap all the way on. You want to be sure they are exactly where you want them before you push them on tight because they are difficult to remove. It is actually pretty tough to push them over the clips all the way on just under the rear doors. Its hard to explain without a diagram but I am sure you will see exactly what I am talking about when you install them. The fit is very tight because they are cut perfectly to match the GLK. This is a good thing because it looks really good after proper install. But the perfect fit means hard to push on areas.
Thanks cyberglk350,
Mine came in one non-original box. I am very handy when it comes to cars, but I don't want to go through the pain of installing it unless I am sure it is an OEM part. Repos usually looks almost like the OEM ones, but they don't fit as good since they are not made out of the original molds. The first job for me is to make sure it's an original piece.

Here's another eBay ad for a used original piece. The seller is showing a picture with the part number and am MB logo on it. Mine does not have anything on it, which is what concerns me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...#ht_1038wt_941
Old 04-20-2011, 08:30 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
I would say that if your new ones don't have the logo and part #s shown in the used add, the ones you purchased are knockoffs of OEM running boards.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
none
it looks like you may have already left him a negative feedback on this.

what did he reply when you asked him or told him it looked fake?

just curious
Old 04-20-2011, 10:55 AM

2010 GLK
Originally Posted by iewoals
it looks like you may have already left him a negative feedback on this.

what did he reply when you asked him or told him it looked fake?

just curious
See the seller's response.

So Sorry ,You are not happy about its, As I answer your,this item I get it online,this OEM part not Original part of Mercedes,no number on.You undestand its new and 2 nuts thread check beford packing so it opened.the screw hold may be shipping make it cracked.my description no refund and return,I try my best to resovel to You,don't thing original part it may be $999.00 not $330.Please try install its, no one know oem in YOU CAR you will happy.

- vinpeng
Old 04-20-2011, 10:56 AM

2010 GLK
Most of the non OEM parts on eBay comes with a warranty. This has no warranty.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:25 PM

To clarify,

" Definition: OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer.
Does that clear it up? Probably not. Acronyms are funny like that. The real definition is easy to understand. OEM is usualy used when referring to auto parts. If a part is called OEM, it was made by the manufacturer to be used in your car when it was new, and can be bought later to replace a broken part. For instance, if you drive a Ford, an OEM window crank was built by Ford to be used in your car. The window crank you see hanging on the rack in the auto parts store is not an OEM part, because it was manufactured by somebody else and only used to replace the window crank Ford installed on the assembly line.

Since nothing is as simple as it could be, there's more. Sometimes Ford hires an outside company to produce all of their window cranks for that year. Let's say they hire Acme Parts to make them. In this case, Acme is the OEM supplier for window cranks, making them official Ford parts since they were installed on the assembly line. So they can sell Ford window cranks later, under the Acme Parts name, and still call them OEM window cranks."

It could be that these are OEM look-alikes and/or they are suppliers to MB and therefore they are not able to provide manuals or anything of MB logo on it due to laws preventing them to do so.

Finally, f.y.i.

Mercedes GLK-Class Running Boards

A204-690-0675

$491.04US
Genuine Mercedes GLK-Class 2010-2011 accessory

sold at mercedes.dealerfit.com

Old 04-20-2011, 02:15 PM

2010 GLK
To clarify,

" Definition: OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer.
Does that clear it up? Probably not. Acronyms are funny like that. The real definition is easy to understand. OEM is usualy used when referring to auto parts. If a part is called OEM, it was made by the manufacturer to be used in your car when it was new, and can be bought later to replace a broken part. For instance, if you drive a Ford, an OEM window crank was built by Ford to be used in your car. The window crank you see hanging on the rack in the auto parts store is not an OEM part, because it was manufactured by somebody else and only used to replace the window crank Ford installed on the assembly line.
You are absolutely right about the OEM confusion. I am a classic car guy and completely understand how terms like 'OEM' and 'NOS' are misinterpreted.

Get this... the sellers definition of OEM is "Other Equipment Manufacturer"
Old 04-20-2011, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by rajsid
You are absolutely right about the OEM confusion. I am a classic car guy and completely understand how terms like 'OEM' and 'NOS' are misinterpreted.

Get this... the sellers definition of OEM is "Other Equipment Manufacturer"
their OEM?<--- (this is their 'no strings, no service' approach)

Old 04-20-2011, 07:24 PM

GLK350 4Matic
You can also try www.partsmaxx.com they have them for $432.40 + $9.95 shipping or MBonlineparts.com quoted me $431.00 + 24.00 shipping.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:35 PM

2010 GLK
Originally Posted by GouLuKat
You can also try www.partsmaxx.com they have them for $432.40 + $9.95 shipping or MBonlineparts.com quoted me $431.00 + 24.00 shipping.
Looks like the prices went up. I don't see either one of those vendors selling for the above mentioned price.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Rajsid

From your E Bay Link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_500wt_1182

"Mercedes Benz GLK280 GLK350 2006-2011Running Board OEM"

To my knowledge there is no such thing as a 2006 GLK in fact I don't think there is such a thing as a GLK 280. That should have been your first tip off.

"OEM" It is probably true the company that made these running boards makes Original Equipment and they are Manufacturers.

They don't accept returns, another tip off.

From the E Bay Listing:

"This is Branch New Mercedes GLK Running Broad with all nut ,From Year 2009-2011. No reserve prices ,No return accept,only ship in 48 States and paypal confirm address, if You have any question,please email to me.Thanks"

Do you think this person has a grasp of the English language "Branch New" "Running Broad" "with all nut" "No return accept" "any question"

I know you might say that he didn't use spell check but his poor use of the language might give you a hint that he is well not from the US. Brooklyn another hint.

"New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details. "

Another hint that this is not an MB product.

I am not biased but this listing wreaks of buyer beware.

Best of luck I hope they fit right and wear well. I hope you prove me wrong.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
wouldn't get them if they were free with a post like that, what a rip off.

Saving 500 bux on a shady product for 40-50k car just doesn't make any sense to me.

Live and learn, hope they fit at least.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:45 PM

GLK350 4Matic
Originally Posted by rajsid
Looks like the prices went up. I don't see either one of those vendors selling for the above mentioned price.
Weird I checked the site before posting the message, I just checked again and the price is the same

2046900675 Each $575.00 $575.00
$432.40 Side Running Boards
Add a touch of form and function to your GLK-Class with our stainless steel running boards. Step surface has a brushed metal appearance dotted with rubber grips which helps prevent slippage.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...85401701123676

What OP brought was a replica of the "OEM factory style" running board. I wouldn't buy it if it doesn't have a MB part #.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:30 PM

2010 GLK
A list of issues with the item that I put together to send to eBay's resolution guys.
https://sites.google.com/site/glkrunningboard/home

They are bigger morons. Best case they will refund me for the cost of the item and shipping, but I will end up having to pay for shipping the item back to the seller, which is $70.

eBay should be responsible for keeping an eye on idiots like this selling crappy items on their site.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Rajsid

This is not to rub it in because I hope you are able to get your money back and by the way false advertising could be a criminal offense if you pursued it (probably not worth it) but for others, look at their conditions, from the E Bay sellers site:

Condition
New

A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details.

New other (see details)

A new, unused item with absolutely no signs of wear. The item may be missing the original packaging, or in the original packaging but not sealed. The item may be a factory second, or a new, unused item with defects. See the seller's listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

For everyone take the time to read the fine print.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:20 PM

2010 GLK
MKenM - Right on the point.
Although in this case, they have at least shown the details of the 'New' and 'New Other' right on the item details page.

Early this year, I bought an out of state car from eBay. The 'Title' filed said 'Other - Specified in the description' The description did not say anything about the title, so I messaged the seller to see if it had a title. He messaged me back saying that it had a clear title. I bought the car and a week later it arrived without a title.

The seller refused to take responsibility so I contacted eBay's resolution center. They eventually granted the case in the SELLERS FAVOR.Turns out that as per eBay's policy, they will favor the seller if the seller had specified the title as 'Other - Specified in the description' even though in my case the seller had lied to me and deceived me through eBay's own messaging system.
For everyone - Read all fine prints before bidding/buying.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:29 AM

after your refund...get the real OEM MB running boards and you'll be much happy.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:27 PM

2010 GLK
after your refund...get the real OEM MB running boards and you'll be much happy.

Thanks for the advice. I'll absolutely do that.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:27 PM

2010 GLK 350
Those are definitely not Mercedes Benz parts. I have no idea how well made those knock-offs are, but for $100 more you could have had the real thing. Here's what the Mercedes running board box/packaging looks like:

I hope you can get your money back.

Nick
Old 04-23-2011, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by nickEl
Those are definitely not Mercedes Benz parts. I have no idea how well made those knock-offs are, but for $100 more you could have had the real thing. Here's what the Mercedes running board box/packaging looks like:

I hope you can get your money back.

Nick
+1
I think rajid is going to get the "real" MB ones

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLK running boards - Is this OEM? (pics)