GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK Newbie

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350 (soon I hope!)
GLK Newbie

Hello! I'm fairly new here. I started reading the forum yesterday from oldest to newest posts and stopped around page 21.... I enjoyed reading the reviews given by the GLK owners on this forum. Thank you so much.

I have narrowed my decision down to Arcitic White, P1, MM, Lighting, Parktronic, Keyless Go and Media Interface USB connector (I assume I need that if I want to listen to audiobooks from my iPod Touch).

I only have a few concerns left:

1. How often will I be needing to purchase new 20 inch wheels or tires? From what I have read, there can be anywhere from a $200-600 price difference when changing out 20s vs 19s. Are the 20 inch wheels very easy to damage? I am not a fast or very aggressive driver....

Also I'm from the Indianapolis area....are the 19s and 20s safe enough for the weather we get? We currently have a 97 Prizm with all season tires, and they work fine in the snow, but it's just a small car, not a SUV.

2. I could probably live with the 19 in wheels if it only came with the aluminum roof rails.... why oh why could that not have been an option with the 19s? Is there anyway to modify the black roof rails after purchase? I think the the black ones look plastic-y and cheap vs the alum.

3. I have not seen the diamond white exterior in person. Is it as bright looking as the arctic white? I think I read somewhere that is looks less bright in the shade than the arctic white.... if that is the case then I will stick with the arctic white.

4. I wonder how intrusive parktronic will look on the arctic white.... Does anyone have a pic of this to share?

5. Is road noise more apparent in the 20s vs 19s....is there a significant difference in ride between 19s and 20s (I prefer a smooth ride)?

6. For those of you who purchased the GLK early on, are you still pleased with your ride? Any regrets?

Anyhow, I look forward to becoming a fellow GLK owner. I've been learning a lot by reading the forum so far.... I plan to continue. I hope everyone is enjoying a great start to the week.

Last edited by GLKChick; 08-29-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by GLKChick
Hello! I'm fairly new here. I started reading the forum yesterday from oldest to newest posts and stopped around page 21.... I enjoyed reading the reviews given by the GLK owners on this forum. Thank you so much.

I have narrowed my decision down to Arcitic White, P1, MM, Lighting, Parktronic, Keyless Go and Media Interface USB connector (I assume I need that if I want to listen to audiobooks from my iPod Touch).

I only have a few concerns left:

1. How often will I be needing to purchase new 20 inch wheels or tires? (Tires = 20 to 30K miles average... Wheels = never unless you really damage them beyond repair.) From what I have read, there can be anywhere from a $200-600 price difference when changing out 20s vs 19s. Are the 20 inch wheels very easy to damage? (Yes but they look great, don't they?) I am not a fast or very aggressive driver.... (But do you hit curbs?)

Also I'm from the Indianapolis area....are the 19s and 20s safe enough for the weather we get? We currently have a 97 Prizm with all season tires, and they work fine in the snow, but it's just a small car, not a SUV. (Regardless, both 19" and 20" tires are the same width all season tires so they will handle the same in snow, (that's what is important for snow, a very wide tire is no good in snow) and should be ok in 2"-4" inches of the white stuff. Any deeper and you will need a set of 4 snow tires on cheaper wheels for the winter. We all have done this.)

2. I could probably live with the 19 in wheels if it only came with the aluminum roof rails.... why oh why could that not have been an option with the 19s? Is there anyway to modify the black roof rails after purchase? (Yes, you can buy them from the dealer and have them replace the black set but get ready to Pay $.) I think the the black ones look plastic-y and cheap vs the alum.

3. I have not seen the diamond white exterior in person. Is it as bright looking as the arctic white? I think I read somewhere that is looks less bright in the shade than the arctic white....(Correct, but the matallic looks better in the sun IMO!) if that is the case then I will stick with the arctic white.

4. I wonder how intrusive parktronic will look on the arctic white.... Does anyone have a pic of this to share? (No so bad.)

5. Is road noise more apparent in the 20s vs 19s....is there a significant difference in ride between 19s and 20s (I prefer a smooth ride)? (Not really, to both questions. It's just one inch for Pete sakes.)

6. For those of you who purchased the GLK early on, are you still pleased with your ride? Any regrets? (Yes we do, but for the reasons you like the car. We prefer a better handling, more precise steering feel. The GLK is a little too mushy for my taste with very little steering feedback... but that sounds perfect for you. )

Anyhow, I look forward to becoming a fellow GLK owner. I've been learning a lot by reading the forum so far.... I plan to continue. I hope everyone is enjoying a great start to the week.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:33 AM

GLK 350 (soon I hope!)
MBRedux, thank you for the response. I was beginning to feel like a dummy waiting for an answer in here.....

Yes, I do think that the 20 in wheels look great. I had only seen the 19s in the showroom, but I don't remember disliking them when I saw it. However, I do remember seeing the black roof rails and thinking, "well, I'd change that to chrome" not knowing that it only came with the appearance package. Other than that I loved the exterior appearance of the arctic white GLK.

I probably won't drive the vehicle more than 5 thousand miles/year, and I'm hoping the 20s will last a while. I wonder if anyone in this forum has driven with their 20 in tires without damage to them yet?

I think I have hit at least two curbs in the past, but I'm hoping that I can learn to never hit them?!

I wonder if changing out the roof rails would be cheaper than purchasing the appearance package, but I'm afraid that it may hurt the integrity of the car....

I have not seen the diamond white in person. Maybe it's best that I don't so I won't be tempted to upgrade further!

Thanks again for the input!
Old 08-30-2011, 10:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
none
If you want the aluminum roof rails. Get them with the car. Don't have them put on afterwards. You'll end up spending more or less the same (possibly more) and will have to consider having the dealer open up the roof to get the black rails off and the aluminum ones on.

I do think air pressure in the tires will affect your ride, maybe more so than the change from 19" to 20". From my experience both are quiet.

And yes, Redux is correct in mentioning the steering is a bit mushy. The steering needs a little bit more feel.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:26 PM

GLK 350 (soon I hope!)
iewoals, I think I will heed your advice and choose between getting the rails or not vs having them installed afterward.

I just wish the aluminum rails had been an option with the 19s. My decision would be much easier.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:49 PM

GLK 350 4matic
Originally Posted by GLKChick
iewoals, I think I will heed your advice and choose between getting the rails or not vs having them installed afterward.

I just wish the aluminum rails had been an option with the 19s. My decision would be much easier.
Just to give my 2 cents. At the time of my order, the alu rail was a 'maybe' with the sport package as the factory had supply issues. So my car came with the 19 rim and the black rail. The black rail never completes the look of my black GLK, so I added a pair of aluminum roof rack on top of the rails. It looks much better, plus the rack is actually very useful. One a side note, black rail on a while car is not that bad looking.

Last edited by yualfred; 08-30-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:02 PM

GLK 350 (soon I hope!)
"so I added a pair of aluminum roof rack on top of the rails. It looks much better, plus the rack is actually very useful."

Interesting! Does the aluminum roof rack cover the original roof rails so it looks completely silver now? Is it a less invasive procedure than having aluminum roof rails installed afterward? Do you have a pic of it?

I am getting a bit desperate I think. I visited an Infiniti forum, and someone had posted a $15 mod to change their black roof rails to look aluminum. The pic doesn't look bad, but I'm not sure if I am brave enough to do this on my own or if I should even attempt this on a brand new GLK.

http://www.infinitifx.org/viewtopic....=13378&start=0
Old 08-30-2011, 04:22 PM

GLK 350 4matic
Here is the link you can see the picture and price of the rack. It doesn't cover anything, but added 2 bars on top of the rails. I installed myself within 15min.

http://www.mbparts.com/store/p/646-M...Roof-Rack.aspx

I won't look close up to that paint job.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:08 PM

GLK 350 (soon I hope!)
Ah, now I see. Thanks for the pic, yualfred!

MBRedux, when you said "no so bad" in response to how parktronic looks on the Arctic White, did you mean, "not so bad" as in "it doesn't look so so bad," or did you mean, "no, don't get it. It looks so bad"?
Old 08-31-2011, 06:12 PM

2012 GLK 350
Also, the multimedia package include the ipod connector.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:27 AM

GLK 350 (soon I hope!)
Originally Posted by da_coolestofall
Also, the multimedia package include the ipod connector.
Thanks, good to know!
Old 09-06-2011, 09:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Have you made up your mind yet? Post pix after you get it so we can see what a "Chick" GLK looks like.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:27 AM

GLK 350 (soon I hope!)
Originally Posted by MKenM
Have you made up your mind yet? Post pix after you get it so we can see what a "Chick" GLK looks like.
Haha, no, I have not made up my mind yet, but I will post pics when I finally get it. It's the least I can do after driving everyone crazy with my questions.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:58 PM

GLK 350 4matic
I don't think anyone here will mind giving you any assistance in your decision making process, we all (most of us at least) like to help each other in the forum. Keep up your tenacity when you negotiate with the dealer.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:01 PM

2012 GLK 350--AMG Package 20" Chromed Wheels, Loaded
Have you ordered yet GLKChick? I'm in So CA and just ordered my new 2012 GLK350. Always been an E-Class owner (on 4th now) but thought it was time for a change. I agree that you should order the Aluminum Roof Rails! Much better looking. I've had 2-AMG styling E-Classes and wouldn't have it any other way. I also agree that in less you bang into curbs a lot, you will love the wheels and with 4matic, it is great in snow--though we don't have a lot of that here-lol!

I ordered nearly the same car you did--4Matic/Artic White/Almond/Blk MB-Tex/PO1 pkd/ "S-33" Multimedia Launch Pkg (inclludes back up camera) / Chrome Door Handle inserts/ Roof Spoiler / 319 Lighting pkg / 321 AMG Styling Pkg (20' wheel) (Aluminum Roof Rails) / Burl Walnut Wood Trim / 8109 H/K sound system (worth the $810--have it in my 09 E350 now-Awesome)/ Keyless Go (have it now and haven't used it but will start with the new car) and reversible cargo mat. It's being built in late Oct and should be here by end of Nov per my MB sales mgr buddy.

Lastly, I don't use an iPod much (Blackberry guy) but do use the memory card slot a lot where I have about 500 songs stored--great option if you don't like the iPod--and better quality sound. Good luck and let us know if you ordered it
Old 09-29-2011, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
8 years with black rails on a light colored car-one or two shades darker than white. Still looks great to my eyes. Very easy to spot across a crowded parking lot. That said, I ordered the Appearance Package because I am partial to fewer spokes on my wheels. Both wheel sizes have a very limited number of tire choices. I had a loaner with a Parktronic style system. I turned it off after it lit up the second time. YMMV.
Good luck.

Last edited by venchka; 09-30-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Did you include 4MATIC on your wish list? That would be more important where you live than chrome rails.

I saw a white GLK with black rails this morning on the way to work. Looked fine to me.

ps: You never see the rails while operating the vehicle.

Last edited by venchka; 09-30-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:56 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Various
Good luck with the new purchase!
Old 09-30-2011, 09:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
She's gone, like the wind