GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2012 GLK 19 in Wheels A Head Turner?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350 (soon I hope!)
2012 GLK 19 in Wheels A Head Turner?

Okay, I feel like I'm beating a dead horse to death, but are the 19 inch wheels with the black roof rails on a arctic white GLK a head turner at all?

I have only seen the 19 inch wheels with the 10 spokes on an arctic white GLK at the dealership. I don't recall not liking the looks of the wheels. However, the black roof rails did bother me a little bit. I prefer the aluminum ones, I think.... however, I have never seen one in person to judge. I find it particularly hard judging pics online since they never seem to do this vehicle justice and are not as accurate as viewing it in 3D.

My brother has almost convinced me to go with the 19s. He says that they seem more "girly" while the 20s appear more sporty. I'm just afraid that the 19s may appear more "soccer mom" than the 20s? Is soccer mom an apt description of the 19s on the white GLK, specifically? I don't have kids so I don't really want to give off a "soccer mom" vibe (no offense).

In your opinion, which wheels on the arctic white body as a whole including roof rails, appears more feminine, youthful, elegant and cute? If I could just see the two vehicles side by side in person, I could make the call myself, but since I have not....

Sorry...I realize this post sounds superficial, but if I'm laying down the cash for this vehicle, I want to be completely happy with it! (This will also be the first vehicle that I have ever purchased by the way which may explain my neurosis about getting this car "just right.")

Last edited by GLKChick; 09-02-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 BMW M3, '11 GLK350 AMG (RWD)
I'd go with the 20s - my wife loves them on our '11 AMG package. I also agree about the black roof rails (didn't like them when I saw an '12 last week), much prefer the aluminum.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:42 PM

GLK 350 (soon I hope!)
Thanks for your opinion, David! Did you see the black roof rails on a white '12 GLK?

I am curious to hear people's thoughts on the 20s Appearance package on a white GLK. I've seen the white AMG version. Right now, I'm trying to decide between the the standard or appearance package (non AMG).
Old 09-02-2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by GLKChick
Thanks for your opinion, David! Did you see the black roof rails on a white '12 GLK?

I am curious to hear people's thoughts on the 20s Appearance package on a white GLK. I've seen the white AMG version. Right now, I'm trying to decide between the the standard or appearance package (non AMG).
19" does not make the car looks aggressive. The20" does but the amg package with the body style looks much better than just the sport one.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:20 PM

2012 GLK 350
I got mine in Arctic White with the Sports Appearance package over the AMG wheels. I really didnt like the AMG wheels. And the standard 10 spoke ones looked very sedany to me
Old 09-02-2011, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
This is simple. I think you already know the answer to your own question... yes you need to spend more money to have a "head turner". In fact, there are many here who would argue that even the way a fully equipped GLK is delivered fresh from the factory isn't quite enough to be a head turner... that even more goodies need to be added in order to get peoples head to turn!
Old 09-03-2011, 12:57 PM

none
Yes, it sounds like you already know what you want. Get the larger wheels and aluminum roof rails. I like the aluminum roof rails, but didn't get them on my car. Couldn't find one equipped that way at the time.

I've seen a white GLK with the aluminum roof rails. I think it looks nice.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by iewoals
I've seen a white GLK with the aluminum roof rails. I think it looks nice.
Yup, it's nice.... real nice!

Old 09-03-2011, 04:38 PM

GLK 350 (soon I hope!)
Okay, okay, everyone seems to be learning towards the 20s in here, and that is a gorgeous pic, MBRedux. However, I noticed that the grill is slightly different than the current US version of the vehicle... There are three chrome strips in this pic, while the ones I see here only have 2 chrome strips on the grill.

I do love how the 20 inch 5 twin spokes mimic the grill more than the 10 spoke 19 inch wheels do. There is more spacing in between the spokes like the grill. I almost feel like there are too many spokes on the 19 inch wheels, but how often will someone see the front and side of your car at the same time? Maybe when I park my car in the driveway I should turn the wheels in a bit, hee hee.

Okay, you guys have me leaning towards the 20s now.....
Old 09-03-2011, 11:31 PM

none
By the way I have the std 19" wheels. Good enough for me. But a real pain to clean. So many spokes.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Okay, okay, everyone seems to be learning towards the 20s in here, and that is a gorgeous pic, MBRedux. However, I noticed that the grill is slightly different than the current US version of the vehicle... There are three chrome strips in this pic, while the ones I see here only have 2 chrome strips on the grill.

I do love how the 20 inch 5 twin spokes mimic the grill more than the 10 spoke 19 inch wheels do. There is more spacing in between the spokes like the grill. I almost feel like there are too many spokes on the 19 inch wheels, but how often will someone see the front and side of your car at the same time? Maybe when I park my car in the driveway I should turn the wheels in a bit, hee hee.

Okay, you guys have me leaning towards the 20s now.....
I think you are way over thinking this. The grille is a Euro spec grille that only came on their highest end models I believe. Not sold here in the States or Canada. But You wished to see a pic of a white glk with alum roof rails, so I got you one. Auto manufacturers spend a lot of money to find strategic ways to extract your money from your wallet... you are now experiencing one of their marketing strategies.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
Originally Posted by MBRedux
The grille is a Euro spec grille that only came on their highest end models I believe.
You're wrong (again) - it's standard, with the sportpackage.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GLKKa2H
You're wrong (again) - it's standard, with the sportpackage.
Not when I bought the car, that's for sure.... Maybe it is now but I haven't seen any anywhere? So where are they?... in the States, Canada or in Norway (Europe)?

I think you have it in for me, so everything I say is "wrong" to you. Remember I can't be wrong if I ended my sentence with "I believe" which opens the door to other possibilities.

Here's a 2011 GLK with Sports Package in the USA, where the OP is located. I fail to see the three level grille. I was right that the pic is of a Euro spec car, so sue me that I was not fully correct on the Euro package that gets you the three layer grille.

Last edited by MBRedux; 09-05-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:59 PM

GLK 350 (soon I hope!)
Yeah, MB is correct. The US 2012 version of the GLK does not come with the tri
grill.

Da-coolestofall, do you have any pics of your ride posted? I'd live to see a real pic of the car with 20" wheels on a non AMG package.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:03 PM

GLK 350 (soon I hope!)
Funny, I actually prefer the black roof rails on the red version of the GLK. I think red and black go well together.

I think I really need to see the white one with the alum rails in person before making a final decision. This is going to drive me crazy.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is going to drive me crazy.
lol.... going to? No matter which version you end up with, you're going to luv-it!!
Old 09-06-2011, 07:57 AM

The grille is a Euro spec grille that only came on their highest end models I believe.
Not when I bought the car, that's for sure.... Maybe it is now but I haven't seen any anywhere? So where are they?... in the States, Canada or in Norway (Europe)?
In Europe - and Norway. Your believing refers to Europe, I guess, assuming your term "Euro" refers to the currency of the European Union.

From a German MB WEB-page with regard to 2012 GLK (times are trucking along, you know) Sports Package:
- Chrom-Paket
- Rammschutzleiste seitlich in Chrom
- Kühlergrill mit drei glatten Chromlamellen
- Heckschürze mit Chromzierstreifen
- Leichtmetallräder im 10-Speichen-Design mit Bereifung 235/50 R 19 vorne und 255/45 R 19 hinten
- Seitenschweller in Wagenfarbe lackiert
- Sportfahrwerk mit 20 mm Tieferlegung.

I'll be happy to provide translation, if requested to do so.

I think you have it in for me, so "(every)things" I say is "wrong" to you.
- and to others. 19 days ago, thread Anyone have any 2012 GLK pics/specs?...:
Looks like I've been had!
Here's a 2011 GLK with Sports Package in the USA, where the OP is located.
Finally a picture valid for the OP!
Old 09-06-2011, 08:03 AM

Yeah, MB is correct. The US 2012 version of the GLK does not come with the tri grill.
With regard to the 2012 US GLK - yes, however not with regard to the European version, which he referred to.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

^ Yikes... Why do I always attract these crazies?
Old 09-06-2011, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GLKKa2H
In Europe - and Norway. Your believing refers to Europe, I guess, assuming your term "Euro" refers to the currency of the European Union.

From a German MB WEB-page with regard to 2012 GLK (times are trucking along, you know) Sports Package:
- Chrom-Paket
- Rammschutzleiste seitlich in Chrom
- Kühlergrill mit drei glatten Chromlamellen
- Heckschürze mit Chromzierstreifen
- Leichtmetallräder im 10-Speichen-Design mit Bereifung 235/50 R 19 vorne und 255/45 R 19 hinten
- Seitenschweller in Wagenfarbe lackiert
- Sportfahrwerk mit 20 mm Tieferlegung.

I'll be happy to provide translation, if requested to do so.

- and to others. 19 days ago, thread Anyone have any 2012 GLK pics/specs?...:

Finally a picture valid for the OP!
Euro now refers to the European union nations. The term has been used now for years...

Plus the error was confirmed regarding interior pic.

The red GLK does not fulfill the OP picture request. The request was for a White GLK with aluminum roof rails... Who is wrong now? The grille is irrelevant.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:32 AM

^ Yikes... Why do I always attract these crazies?
Your attitude?
Old 09-06-2011, 09:41 AM

White GLK with aluminum roof rails... Who is wrong now? The grille is irrelevant.
I think "The grille" is/was relevant, my initial comment referred to your statement "The grille is a Euro spec grille that only came on their highest end models I believe".
Old 09-06-2011, 08:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Okay, I feel like I'm beating a dead horse to death, but are the 19 inch wheels with the black roof rails on a arctic white GLK a head turner at all?

I have only seen the 19 inch wheels with the 10 spokes on an arctic white GLK at the dealership. I don't recall not liking the looks of the wheels. However, the black roof rails did bother me a little bit. I prefer the aluminum ones, I think.... however, I have never seen one in person to judge. I find it particularly hard judging pics online since they never seem to do this vehicle justice and are not as accurate as viewing it in 3D.

My brother has almost convinced me to go with the 19s. He says that they seem more "girly" while the 20s appear more sporty. I'm just afraid that the 19s may appear more "soccer mom" than the 20s? Is soccer mom an apt description of the 19s on the white GLK, specifically? I don't have kids so I don't really want to give off a "soccer mom" vibe (no offense).

In your opinion, which wheels on the arctic white body as a whole including roof rails, appears more feminine, youthful, elegant and cute? If I could just see the two vehicles side by side in person, I could make the call myself, but since I have not....

Sorry...I realize this post sounds superficial, but if I'm laying down the cash for this vehicle, I want to be completely happy with it! (This will also be the first vehicle that I have ever purchased by the way which may explain my neurosis about getting this car "just right.")
Silly question have you been to the MBUSA web site to build your own vehicle. If you have I'll stop here, if not you need to go there to see all the options, wheels, colors etc. Hope that helps.

I have the 20 inch wheels and brushed aluminum rails but mine are on a black vehicle. Red looks OK with black but aluminum is much nicer. IMO
Old 09-07-2011, 08:21 AM

GLK 350 (soon I hope!)
Originally Posted by MKenM
Silly question have you been to the MBUSA web site to build your own vehicle. If you have I'll stop here, if not you need to go there to see all the options, wheels, colors etc. Hope that helps.

I have the 20 inch wheels and brushed aluminum rails but mine are on a black vehicle. Red looks OK with black but aluminum is much nicer. IMO
I've visited the MBUSA site, but I would feel more comfortable seeing it in person before ordering it. I've learned after seeing a white one with the standard wheels at the dealership that the pics do not do the car justice. There seemed to be a discrepancy between how it looks online and how it looks in person. I just don't want to be surprised (in a bad way) if I ordered it and didn't like it with the 20s.

However, I definitely like the 20s and alum roof rails on the black GLKs. Its makes the look of the vehicle pop. I also like it on the gray/silver GLKs too.

However, from looking at pics of other member's GLKs, I've noticed that the black roof rails don't always look bad. For example, someone on here has a goldish looking GLK, and it looks nice with the black roof rails. I imagine, it may not look as nice with the alum roof rails since gold is a warm tone.... but I know looks are subjective, and this is only my opinion....

Thanks for the suggestions and help!
Old 09-07-2011, 08:22 AM

GLK 350 (soon I hope!)
lol.... going to? No matter which version you end up with, you're going to luv-it!!
Haha, I hope so....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2012 GLK 19 in Wheels A Head Turner?