GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

My GLK 350 window/smash hit on drive by multiple BB gun pellets.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 04:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'12 GLK 350
My GLK 350 window/smash hit on drive by multiple BB gun pellets.

First thread on the forums, needed insurance advice as quick as possible.
I am in the Bay Area so if anyone local can point me in the right direction of 5star shops, please share.

This happened to my Mercedes last night. Multiple BB gun pellets drive by hit my driver rear window, after closing the door after inspection, it spider webbed and everything fell to pieces.

Insurance will cover 100% and I will pay the $500 deductible but this is vandalism and I am not at fault so does that mean I pay nothing? Being a lease car, do I let my dealer know that this happened?

The glass is made tinted.

I would rather get an original window from factory ordered from an Indy shop "B-Line Auto Body" in San Jose is my top choice, or bring it to the dealer since insurance pays for everything anyway.
Attached Thumbnails My GLK 350 window/smash hit on drive by multiple BB gun pellets.-photo-1-.jpg   My GLK 350 window/smash hit on drive by multiple BB gun pellets.-photo-2-.jpg  
Old 12-25-2011, 10:28 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
350 GLK, C280
Let the insurance company handle it. After replacement, make sure you get full glass coverage. It is cheap compared to any deduct able. Have had glass replaced on many cars from Range Rovers to VWs at no cost. Also had rubber seals replaced for free under policy.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Sorry to hear his... bring it to the dealer where it was leased from.... have them do the repair and deal with the insurance company... hope you filed a police report as soon as it happened...
Old 12-27-2011, 10:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 350X :0
can't believe a BB gun can do this?
sorry for the mishap... leave it for the dealer/insurance to deal with it.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Perhaps BB in this case was actually a pelet gun.
Either way, full coverage comprehensive coverage should fix the car. It worked for me when I hit a deer and a hog.

Wayne
Old 12-28-2011, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 146 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
I think it is a pellet gun that did that and not a BB gun. Any markings on the panels of the car? I keep on wondering why do you have the car seat behind the driver seat. Reason I ask about this is that it is a safety issue for you and the kid whenever you take your kid in and out from the driver side specially if parked on the streets. I have seen someone getting side swiped taking out her kid from a car seat (no joke I have seen one!) while parked in the street and the toddler went flying up in the air while mommy got rammed to the car's door. You better think about moving that seat if I were you.

bring it to the dealer and they will replace it with original merc parts and not a aftermarket glass. also check the wood trim and silver handle as that will be scratched from the glass that fell inside.

Last edited by shotgun_banjo; 12-28-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
04 CL55 (sold), 2012 CLS550 (sold), 2014 S550 (sold), 2015 ES300H (DAILY)
you just reminded me of what happened a couple months ago...

I was in a McDonald's drive-thru ordering a McRib when all of the sudden, extremely loud, BAM BAM BAM BAM x10. Very loud and sudden noises coming from the right side of my car. I can hear something continuously hit my windows, sun roof, and God knows where else.

I literally jumped two feet out of my seat and immediately looked around. Nothing. Until I got out of my car and heard this lady screaming at a couple kids across the wall threatening to call the cops on them for shooting at cars. As soon as I realized I was under attack, Idk what came over me but I raged pretty hard and tried to jump the 10 foot wall on a "seek and destroy" mission. Unfortunately, I failed to even hop the wall lol so I went back to check on my car. I think they shot me with plastic BB's instead of metal ones since there was 0 damage anywhere.

damn kids.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Originally Posted by venchka
Perhaps BB in this case was actually a pelet gun.
Either way, full coverage comprehensive coverage should fix the car. It worked for me when I hit a deer and a hog.

Wayne

Hopefully not at the same time...
Old 12-29-2011, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rmfnla
Hopefully not at the same time...
Two.events. Lmao.

Wayne
Old 12-29-2011, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by bop11
Let the insurance company handle it. After replacement, make sure you get full glass coverage. It is cheap compared to any deduct able. Have had glass replaced on many cars from Range Rovers to VWs at no cost. Also had rubber seals replaced for free under policy.
Is that glass coverage in addition to regular comprehensive or a rider on it?
Old 12-30-2011, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Originally Posted by venchka
Two.events. Lmao.

Wayne

You're kinda hard on the livestock, aren't you..?
Old 12-30-2011, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The livestock are hard on me. The hood and front bumper looked like new when I sold the car last month.

Wayne
Old 12-31-2011, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'12 GLK 350
Hey guys thanks for your concerns. The car seat was just there that day but the baby rarely sits in that car and we just happen to put the seat there. Thank god baby girl wasn't in there either.

I sent the vehicle at a reputable shop and I knew the shop before the dealership mentioned them. But I got all OEM parts from the dealer, pretty much $1800 check for the coverage.

The only confusing and frustrating thing about the situation and has always been in the past is the estimator. I visit the shop to write down and go over what should be checked/changed and they say make the check no less than $1800. Later I see the the estimator at the scheduled time and place, do the meet and greet then on to what he does.

He slowly looks at the car, asks where's the damage. I look where he looks and makes sure he doesn't miss the spots where the shop and I made note. Obvious paint chip/scratches, seals to be removed, detailing/removing etc. On the interior silver handle trim, there is a pin point nick. I show that to the estimator, he looks at it. I can feel the shrugs, like he doesn't want to count that as damage.

To me that is BS. We pay good money for insurance, monthly payments and hope to get great service in return. I always get the feeling that the estimator's THINK that the check that they're making out is their OWN money and want to be a little cheap and dismiss the nick. It's a small point but I can live with it but if I am able to change to OEM brand new then why not count it. If it wasn't there before then it's damage. After inspection, if it felt like forever and a day for him to estimate, in the end I did get a little over $1800 minus deductible.

Now I'll just have to wait til the car is all done and back to normal. But through it all I have been thinking about ending my lease and getting a Honda Odyssey. I can keep up with the GLK payments but I'm 26, I can always get my CLS AMG in the future. I just want something the kids will enjoy moving around in for now. I will post up pics when all is A-OK.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 146 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
Originally Posted by Yoko Kai
Hey guys thanks for your concerns. The car seat was just there that day but the baby rarely sits in that car and we just happen to put the seat there. Thank god baby girl wasn't in there either.

I sent the vehicle at a reputable shop and I knew the shop before the dealership mentioned them. But I got all OEM parts from the dealer, pretty much $1800 check for the coverage.

The only confusing and frustrating thing about the situation and has always been in the past is the estimator. I visit the shop to write down and go over what should be checked/changed and they say make the check no less than $1800. Later I see the the estimator at the scheduled time and place, do the meet and greet then on to what he does.

He slowly looks at the car, asks where's the damage. I look where he looks and makes sure he doesn't miss the spots where the shop and I made note. Obvious paint chip/scratches, seals to be removed, detailing/removing etc. On the interior silver handle trim, there is a pin point nick. I show that to the estimator, he looks at it. I can feel the shrugs, like he doesn't want to count that as damage.

To me that is BS. We pay good money for insurance, monthly payments and hope to get great service in return. I always get the feeling that the estimator's THINK that the check that they're making out is their OWN money and want to be a little cheap and dismiss the nick. It's a small point but I can live with it but if I am able to change to OEM brand new then why not count it. If it wasn't there before then it's damage. After inspection, if it felt like forever and a day for him to estimate, in the end I did get a little over $1800 minus deductible.

Now I'll just have to wait til the car is all done and back to normal. But through it all I have been thinking about ending my lease and getting a Honda Odyssey. I can keep up with the GLK payments but I'm 26, I can always get my CLS AMG in the future. I just want something the kids will enjoy moving around in for now. I will post up pics when all is A-OK.
I had the same experience with estimators when my ride got broken in and worst stolen. I made sure that it was repaired right. The point that you should say to them is "it should be like before it happened and repaired properly" and if a small hairline scratch is not there before....then that should not be there" point is that it is your ride and not theirs so you know better than them what is damage and what is wear and tear. Usually I make a list of what was damaged on the car when I see a estimator and bring my own white light to see everything cosmetic wise then I reason out with him about those things. If you don't tell them they won't count it plain and simple.

If everything gets fixed the way you want it then you should not be worried about your car being "tarnished" in the end of the day and it is only cosmetic and should not affect the value of your ride.

Keep the GLK and don't be a soccer mom or soccer dad