GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Bought my first GLK! Got several questions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350 2010
Bought my first GLK! Got several questions.

Bought my first GLK and got several questions.
1. When I turn the rear gear on, I see that right mirror tilts down a little so that I could see the curb. Is it possible to make the left mirror tilt down as well? It would be extremely useful when I park with curb at my left side, so that I could avoid curb scratches at the left side as well, not only at the right.
2. I bought used car in private sale. How can I check oil condition? There is no oil rod for it. Should I buy the rod? Or there is one somewhere?
3. When I close the panoramic roof, there is a cloth blind below it. When the blind is closed, I see a small black gap (5-7mm or 1/3 of inch). The same gap I see at the rear blind. It feels like it is not fully closed. Is that normal?
4. At the top of the back of my car, right on the roof, there is a small antenna-receiver which has word Sirius on it. But when I go to Radio in my COMMAND, I see no Sirius radio there. My car is fully equipped, has COMMAND, NAV, so I assume it should have Sirius settings somewhere but I don't see any word about Sirius. I know it should be activated after a subscription which I purchased. Where exactly I should enter the key?
5. My car is 2010, in the COMMAND service menu, I found out that it is possible to update the Navigation maps from DVD. Where can I purchase new DVD maps for Canada? How much are they?
6. I have Harman/Kardon in the car, but I don't like how the bass sounds. Is it possible to upgrade HK subwoofer for something with better depths and power? I mean is there anything on the market which would fit the original space below the spare tire where the current subwoofer is. So that it wouldn't occupy any extra space in the trunk.
7. To attach iphone or android I have to go to the gloves compartment. It is the only place which has USB wire-adapter. Is it only 2010 model, or other models have USB in the central console? It is kinda annoying to open gloves compartment each time when you want to play music from your phone or if you want to charge it.
8. When I talk via bluetooth, there should be two microphones. Where are they located?

I will appreciate your answers alot! Thanks! I really like the car!
Old 05-16-2012, 04:48 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
Welcome.

The left side mirror does not tilt.
There is an oil dip stick so you can check your oil.
Often times it is mistaken for a transmission oil dip stick.
You can buy the navigation update Dvd through the dealer or Navteq ($249).
Are you considering using USB flash drive in the glove compartment or memory card in the command unit. I find it is much more convenient that way.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:19 PM

GLK 350 2010
Originally Posted by ble2716
Welcome.
There is an oil dip stick so you can check your oil.
Where can I find it? I searched everywhere under the hood but couldn't find it anywhere. If you have a picture where it is located -- I would be completely happy!

Any advice about other questions 3, 4, 6, 8? Thank you!
Old 05-16-2012, 06:00 PM

2015 VW GTI.S4; 2016 Audi Q3 Prestige
You can google up the MB Owner's manual to download a copy of it yourself to find the location.
I know the manual & COMAND manual have most of your answers.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
No manual with the car. Previous owner must have been clueless.
Dip stick: Open hood. Stand near passenger side fender with headlight to your right. The stick is near the firewall and on your side of the engine centerline. The handle is pale green plastic-shaped like a button. There is no transmission stick.
Change the oil. That is the only way to know it is good.
Select the radio menu on the COMAND screen. Select SAT Radio. That is Sirius radio.
Navigation update: Save your money. I have the latest version. It is not up to date.

Wayne
Old 05-17-2012, 12:17 PM

2015 VW GTI.S4; 2016 Audi Q3 Prestige
C'mon Wayne it's the 21st Century - MB Owner's Manuals from last 2 decades are online
Old 05-17-2012, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

True. However, I feel that the presence of the manuals along with all service records speak to the care and well being of a vehicle. When I sold my 1999 Volvo S70 last year the new owner got a well cared for vehicle complete with all systems functioning properly backed up by the owner's manual and several years of service records.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
GLKWalker: Found the oil dip stick yet?

Wayne
Old 05-18-2012, 09:23 AM

GLK 350 4matic
Bought my first GLK!

How many GLKs you plan to buy? Haha, just kidding.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:57 PM

GLK 350 2010
Originally Posted by venchka
GLKWalker: Found the oil dip stick yet?
Wayne
Yes, found it!! Thank you very much! You saved me and raised my good mood of the day! Got another question. I have COMMAND, Navigation, fully equipped car. But I don't have backup camera. I searched forums and internet there are several very useful articles and posts how people install backup cameras themselves, so I understand all the process. But I haven't found which exactly camera I should buy and which will fit the socket. On ebay I found several of them for the price 25-35 bucks. Could you suggest which camera will fit into the socket reliably? And I'll buy it. Thanks.
I found this one with LED which I like:
http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/5...edes-Benz.html
and this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Ben...item2ebbc12128

I know, they have X204 in the description, but Chinese cameras description can potentially have lots of garbage like that one which has word GPS (which doesn't make sence). So I am wondering if you guys have any verified camera from ebay which fits the socket at the tailgate?
Old 05-25-2012, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't understand. How is it that you have a "fully equipped car" without a back up camera? Isn't the back up camera part of the Premium 1 package? Sounds like maybe you have a car with the Multimedia package but not P-1. Correct?
I quit buying from ebay years ago. I'm no help.

Wayne
Old 05-25-2012, 04:09 PM

GLK 350 2010
I don't understand. How is it that you have a "fully equipped car" without a back up camera? Isn't the back up camera part of the Premium 1 package? Sounds like maybe you have a car with the Multimedia package but not P-1. Correct?
I quit buying from ebay years ago. I'm no help.

Wayne

I don't know. Car is 2010. It has Harman/Kardon, Navigation, Sirius, DVD changer with HDD, panoramic roof, bi-xenon, aluminum package, parkassist sensors, 19 inched wheels, boat tail hook (or how is it properly called).

but no backup camera, no rear entertainment monitors and no automatically folding mirror (I think in 2010 there were no auto folding mirrors). I am fine without rear ent system, but I want backup camera badly.

I am not 100% which packages I have since they have been changed since 2010 and now GLK comes with sport package by default. So I am not 100%.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The mirrors still don't fold. Never have to the best of my knowledge.
Have you looked to see if you have a back up camera? Maybe it is turned off. Or a wire loose. Or a screw loose. Blown fuse?

Given the number of bells & whistles, I reckon you have this...

"Optional
Multimedia Package
COMAND system with hard-drive navigation
7-inch in-dash display
6GB Music Register
SiriusXM Traffic
iPod®/MP3 Media Interface
In-dash 6-DVD/CD player and PCMCIA memory card slot
Enhanced Voice Control for audio, telephone and navigation (EVC)
Rear view camera"

Look above the license plate. If there is a black thing protruding from the area next to the license plate light thingie, you have a camera.

boat tail hook (or how is it properly called).
Best chuckle of the day. Trailer hitch?

Wayne

Last edited by venchka; 05-25-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:37 PM

GLK 350 2010
The mirrors still don't fold. Never have to the best of my knowledge.
Ah, you sure? Sometime when I go though a parking lot in front of shopping mall I see other GLKs with folder mirrors. So you want to say that drivers did it manually? Hmm. Then no surprise. I became jealous because I am missing that feature

Have you looked to see if you have a back up camera? Maybe it is turned off. Or a wire loose. Or a screw loose. Blown fuse?
No, I don't have it for sure. I took a look at the tailgate. Also if it was there but it had broken wire or fuse, it would possibly show black screen on R gear. But I don't any of these signs. So I am still looking at amazing walk-through Do-It-Yourself threads, but still don't see any info what exactly cameras people bought for installation.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The do fold manually.
Been driving with folding mirrors since 1989. Never fold them except at some car washes. Haven't lost one yet. Power folding mirrors are another solution to a problem we didn't have.

Ask bop11. He did it. Bought a $24 camera from ebay.

https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...era-part1.html

Wayne
Old 05-25-2012, 04:52 PM

GLK 350 2010
Sent him a message, thanks! BTW, what SiriusXM Traffic means? Just traffic or it is also possible to activate Sirius for listening the radio?
Old 05-26-2012, 01:17 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
Originally Posted by glkwalker

but no backup camera, no rear entertainment monitors and no automatically folding mirror (I think in 2010 there were no auto folding mirrors). I am fine without rear ent system, but I want backup camera badly.

2010 GLK (Canadian) does have tilt and folding mirrors, automatically when you lock the car or manually, depends on your settings.
After 2 years of constant foldings and openings, my mirrors were replaced due to excessive noises.

About the backup camera from ebay, they are not 100% fit but close enough.