Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350 2010
Coolant icon appeared - questions.

2010 GLK Canadian;
80000 kilometers;
Yesterday, I was in traffic jam on a 401 highway Toronto, going slow, start-stop and I got gray icon on the dashboard which means "Coolant". No other words close to it, icon only. I heard turbine-like sound from the fan which was going crazy. Then the warning disappeared for two hours. Then it appeared again with "Windshield washer liquid low" icon. Then both icons disappeared and there are no warning icons at all. When I open the hood the fan isn't spinning at all but the oil temp is always around 85C which is pretty normal.

1. So I am wondering - should the fan be spinning from the very first second or it starts only when the temperature goes above 90C?
2. And should I worry now or I should wait for the Coolant sign to appear again? The "service menu" has 0 messages.

Just for information, at the moment when the sign appeared:
-1C temperature outside;
~85C coolant temperature.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
Wait until your car cools down (overnight?) and check your coolant level. Check your manual for change intervals.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLK350
could be a bad thermostat too. When mine was going bad i would hear the turbine noise and the temp guage would fluctuate around. Good luck!
Old 12-25-2012, 12:36 PM

GLK 350 2010
Guys, does you fan starts spinning as soon as you start the engine?
Old 12-25-2012, 08:48 PM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by glkwalker
Guys, does you fan starts spinning as soon as you start the engine?
The fan will come on always, if your AC is pressed! Before starting the engine, take off the AC button and try it.... All vehicles with AC have the fans programmed to run if AC is switched on.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:10 AM

GLK 350 2010
Originally Posted by Koenig1
The fan will come on always, if your AC is pressed! Before starting the engine, take off the AC button and try it.... All vehicles with AC have the fans programmed to run if AC is switched on.
My fan isn't spinning at all even when I have AC on, but when the oil icon appears the fan goes like turbine. Is it a problem?
Old 12-26-2012, 06:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
2010 GLK Canadian;
80000 kilometers;
Yesterday, I was in traffic jam on a 401 highway Toronto, going slow, start-stop and I got gray icon on the dashboard which means "Coolant". No other words close to it, icon only. I heard turbine-like sound from the fan which was going crazy. Then the warning disappeared for two hours. Then it appeared again with "Windshield washer liquid low" icon. Then both icons disappeared and there are no warning icons at all. When I open the hood the fan isn't spinning at all but the oil temp is always around 85C which is pretty normal.

1. So I am wondering - should the fan be spinning from the very first second or it starts only when the temperature goes above 90C?
2. And should I worry now or I should wait for the Coolant sign to appear again? The "service menu" has 0 messages.

-1C temperature outside;
For an appearing Coolant symbol, is the manual mainly referring it to be a "coolant is too hot" problem, although it really is a Coolant Low warning. The Coolant temperature gauge reading was more or less normal and the Coolant temperature warning lamp was not lit.

The Windshield washer liquid low symbol is apparently a separate story, however - without creating big worries - do I point at the fact that there are reported cases where the engine coolant loop (for heating) in the windshield washer tank, has started leaking coolant into the tank. Verified by discolored washer fluid (- level and smell?).
Old 12-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SpeedRiven SL600, ML320CDI
2010 GLK Canadian;
80000 kilometers;

-1C temperature outside;
I would not panic. Cool the car, check and top-off coolant. If symbol appears again, visit the shop, but I doubt it will appear till same time next year. Long story, but this is normal in these vehicles

Igor.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:12 AM

GLK 350 2010
Originally Posted by AccelToronto
I would not panic. Cool the car, check and top-off coolant. If symbol appears again, visit the shop, but I doubt it will appear till same time next year. Long story, but this is normal in these vehicles

Igor.
Thanks Igor'. I will top off the coolant tomorrow. The only one doubt left is that the fan isn't spinning at all even with air conditioner ON. But the temperature didn't go above 90C today. So I believe thermostat works perfectly. My car is not on warranty so going to official dealership may be expensive, that's why I am trying to understand the problem myself (and also I like figuring out in everything)