GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

The problems with my GLK 2010

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350 2010
Unhappy The problems with my GLK 2010

I have driven my GLK 2010 for two years and a half, and got 30,000km on it. Here are some problems I have encountered.
1. CD stuck in the player. The CD player on GLK is capable of playing MP3 format music. So I inserted a home made CD-ROM with MP3s on it. And it stuck. Even the radio won't work. The sales blame me not using store purchased CDs. I was wondering where to buy MP3 CDs?
2. The key dead on me when I traveled 200km from home. The key still can remotely open the door lock. But when inserted in the ignition, it cannot start the engine. Dead silence in an underground parking. Had to tow to a dealership. I can't tell you how desperate the feeling was.
3. Dead battery, in the first winter, over the very first cold night. I have to use my 8 years old Honda CR-V to jump it start on the street. How ironic is the German engineering?
3. No matter how heavy the snow storm or ice storm the weather forecast says will be, you wont dare to raise up the windshield wipers. They may damage the hood, when fold back suddenly.
4. Left back door froze. Couldn't open for many consecutive cold days. Probably the door seal lets too much water in.
5. Left front wheel caliper won't open enough. Making squeaking noise when in traffic, at stop signs, at traffic lights, in the busiest street downtown...Very embarrassing. And the break becomes really HOT.
6. The other annoying things you may have already known. For instance, noisy windshield wipers, dirt your pants when exit your vehicle, (I am 5'10") sometimes also dirt your pants when enter your vehicle. (This part had been modified on the 2013 model).
7. Easily accidentally activate cruise control when reach to the turning signal control lever. (Had been modified on 2013 model)
8. Dirty dusty wheels.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:43 PM

2010 GLK
In general my 2010 GLK has been trouble free...

The only real problem I have encountered in 50,000 km of use is that the windshield wiper tank leaked above the 2/3 level, covered by warranty.

Minor stuff:
- Driver's outboard bolster of seat cushion developed a crack (5'10", I have running boards and maybe rotate out off the edge of the seat), covered by warranty.
- Brake dust on the front wheels (very chic in Europe).
- Squeaky brakes.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:21 AM

GLK 2010
I would agree with the noisy wipers, as well as the pants being dirty when exiting the car

The wiper tank is being replaced under warranty sometime next week

and today just notice a noisy driving on bomby roads

Have 2010 glk
Old 01-18-2013, 06:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
2010 45K miles virtually no problems.

Did your home made CD have a label on it?

Last edited by MKenM; 01-18-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:10 PM

GLK350 2010
Originally Posted by MKenM

Congratulations! You are the lucky one.
To answer your question, No. There is no sticker or label on the CD.
The dealership had to send the CD player back to Germany to get the CDs out. The CDs were returned to me. I did not try again. Not worth the trouble. I have played copied CDs in my Honda CR-V, Hyundai Elentra, none of them had any problem.
I have driven Honda CR-V, Hyundai Elantra, Honda Civic, Cherokee Laredo. Among them, Elantra was the most reliable. GLK is the most troublesome. Maybe expectation plays a role here. But expectation was one of the main reasons that many of us bought a Mercedes in the first place. Isn't it?

Last edited by Babolat800; 02-03-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:14 PM

GLK
I have the same problem, I have asked about the brakes since the day I bought the car. Lots of brake dust and now the brakes squeak bad. It is quite embarrassing. The dealership has always said "that is common with these cars"
Old 01-19-2013, 02:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 GLK350 P1, Multi-media & AMG Pkg; 2010 E350 w/ prem 2; 2018 4Runner SR5 Prem. 4x4
Must be weather related, huh?

Im in Hawaii...no issues with freezing temps. My only real issue was a leaky windshield fluid tank, which was replaced under warranty.

As for the dirty wheels, that's standard for all GLK unless you upgrade to low dust ceramic brake pads. The OEM brake pads produces alot of brake dust.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:27 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
I have used Armorall wheel protectant for about a year. The brake dust is all but non existent. There might be other products but I like this one. I wish that I had found it earlier....back up camera had to be replaced under warranty.

Last edited by cindyclk; 01-20-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:05 PM

civic corrado glk
the dirty pants getting in and out of the darn thing
Old 01-22-2013, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
The rocker panels were narrowed at least as early as 2012. Perhaps 2011.
No experience with cold approaching Montreal Cold. A garage might correct the door freezing problem. The battery should have been replaced under warranty IF it was dead. And not the result of operator error.
You should have a dealer repair/replace the defective caliper/pads/rotor on the left front. hopefully under warranty.
Same for the dead key.
I don't understand the windshield wiper malfunction.
New wiper blades are quiet. Ours have been silent going on 15 months. Buy new blades.
The turn signal stalk/cruise control thingie was annoying at first. Soon learned and no longer a problem.
The 2012 brake pads are not dusty/dirty. Buy new pads.

Wayne
Old 01-22-2013, 12:42 PM

civic corrado glk
Originally Posted by venchka
No experience with cold approaching Montreal Cold. A garage might correct the door freezing problem. The battery should have been replaced under warranty IF it was dead. And not the result of operator error.
You should have a dealer repair/replace the defective caliper/pads/rotor on the left front. hopefully under warranty.
Same for the dead key.
New wiper blades are quiet. Ours have been silent going on 15 months. Buy new blades.
The turn signal stalk/cruise control thingie was annoying at first. Soon learned and no longer a problem.

Wayne

the front windshield doesn't seem to get hot enough to melt the snow and ice build up.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool

Originally Posted by packardbell

the front windshield doesn't seem to get hot enough to melt the snow and ice build up.
I thought you were talking about cold. That's not cold.
Why is there snow & ice buildup? Right. No garage. Do you use the windshield defroster? Every Northern European vehicle that I have operated has been a perfect winter vehicle.

Wayne
Old 01-25-2013, 03:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 VW Golf TDI, '13 GLK 250
I guess MB should advertise that their vehicles are only for 'garage' people.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A garage is probably the single most effective way to keep a vehicle looking and working properly.
But seriously, the heating system can't keep the windshield clear?

Wayne
Old 01-25-2013, 09:02 AM

civic corrado glk
last night the glk started up rough and the engine light came on.
seems and feels like one of the cylinders is not firing. ignition coil issue??
Old 01-25-2013, 10:01 PM

GLK350 2010
Welcome to Montreal!
Old 01-25-2013, 10:30 PM

GLK350 2010
Red face

Same for the dead key.

Wayne
1. The battery in my brand new GLK lost to two years old Canadiantire battery in my CR-V.
I do park the GLK in the garage ever since the first winter battery incident. It was the very first winter I got the GLK, it was not as cold as this winter. One day morning, the GLK not only couldn't start, the door even couldn't open with the remote car key. Called Mercedes roadside assistance. The same total dead Mercedes for the next two days, I had to jump it start twice with my 8 years old Honda CR-V. Then I parked the GLK in the garage ever since, and left the CR-V outside in the cold. CR-V never failed to start not even once in the last 10 years (changed battery once at 6 years old as recommended by the garage). The last few days, temperature in Montreal drop to -24°C in the night. Now I even not dare to drive the GLK to work. I am afraid it won't start after parked at parking lot for 8.5 hours. We don't have indoor parking at work. I don't want be shamed at neiboughhood and then in front of colleagues.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by packardbell
last night the glk started up rough and the engine light came on.
seems and feels like one of the cylinders is not firing. ignition coil issue??
A shorted coil and severe engine compartment fire was reported here in late 2011. I would have it checked soon.

Wayne
Old 01-25-2013, 10:46 PM

GLK350 2010
Red face

Same for the dead key.

Wayne
2. Mercedes agreed to repair the caliper under warranty.
This is a good news indeed. I called the service department at dealership. They told us that they did not have any courtesy car until a whole week later. So I booked a courtesy car and waited for a week. Finally I dropped the GLK at dealership parking lot. And they give me a Toyota Corolla. "I am so sorry." the receptionist said "We ran out of our own courtesy cars." What was the Mercedes slogan? Oh, right. "The BEST or NOTHING". Or is it "the best OF nothing"?

Last edited by Babolat800; 02-03-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:03 PM

GLK350 2010
Same for the dead key.

Wayne
2. The story continues...
At first, when we drop the GLK, they told us it could cost us $700 to replace the caliper. One day past, the mechanics at Mercedes service garage were too busy to even had time to bring the car in and check it. It seemed they were experiencing higher than normal CAR volume. At last, however, the service people are honest, and confirmed this was not a normal worn and should be covered under warranty. But they did not know when the ordered parts will be received. Are German engineering and quality really a fairytale of the past?
Old 01-25-2013, 11:42 PM

GLK350 2010
Wink

Same for the dead key.

Wayne
3. Here is about the car key.
Yes. It was replaced under warranty as well. But, after four weeks. The painful part was not dealing with the warranty. The pain was trying to figure out what happened to the car. The pain was to call Mercedes roadside assistance from the underground garage through broken phone signal. The pain was to negotiate the car out of the underground public garage - 6 feet high only. The roadside assistance agents were all very nice and patient, but it did not reduce the difficulty for them to locate a tow truck which can get into this low ceiling garage. (Parking the GLK in a garage solves the battery problem. Then facing the towing problem.)
I would like to thank the Ottawa girl who lend me the jumping cables. I would like to thank the French speaking couple who tried so hard to help me to jump start the GLK. I would like to thank the garage security who permitted us to park the car there over night. I would like to thank the young man at car rental who helped me to reserve a car at Ottawa airport, so I could drive one-way back to Montreal. I would like to thank the tow truck driver who drove us (with GLK on the back) around Ottawa to two dealerships and finally found a drop spot on that cold Sunday in February 2012.
Here is my advice. Be careful with the GLK car key, the ESD (electrostatic discharge) generated by jingling it in your pocket could kill it. (I don't know other Mercedes car key, but my GLK key dead on me probably this way. Mercedes never confirmed the cause. But a little search online, I found that I was not alone.)
Old 01-26-2013, 12:00 AM

GLK350 2010
Originally Posted by MKenM

It maybe just my luck:
-July 28, 2010, leased the car (I now am sooooo glad that I leased it, not bought it.)
-January 2011, battery dead, jump start three times.
-February 13, 2012, key dead, 200km away from home, ruined not only my weekend, but had myself the worst valentine's day with my wife.
-January 2013, left front caliper seized. Given a courtesy car Toyota Corolla - it can start after a cold night parked outside!
-July 28, 2013, leasing will finish. The End of nightmare.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:05 AM

GLK350 2010
Wink

Originally Posted by Babolat800
I have driven my GLK 2010 for two years and a half, and got 30,000km on it. Here are some problems I have encountered.
1. CD stuck in the player. The CD player on GLK is capable of playing MP3 format music. So I inserted a home made CD-ROM with MP3s on it. And it stuck. Even the radio won't work. The sales blame me not using store purchased CDs. I was wondering where to buy MP3 CDs?
2. The key dead on me when I traveled 200km from home. The key still can remotely open the door lock. But when inserted in the ignition, it cannot start the engine. Dead silence in an underground parking. Had to tow to a dealership. I can't tell you how desperate the feeling was.
3. Dead battery, in the first winter, over the very first cold night. I have to use my 8 years old Honda CR-V to jump it start on the street. How ironic is the German engineering?
3. No matter how heavy the snow storm or ice storm the weather forecast says will be, you wont dare to raise up the windshield wipers. They may damage the hood, when fold back suddenly.
4. Left back door froze. Couldn't open for many consecutive cold days. Probably the door seal lets too much water in.
5. Left front wheel caliper won't open enough. Making squeaking noise when in traffic, at stop signs, at traffic lights, in the busiest street downtown...Very embarrassing. And the break becomes really HOT.
6. The other annoying things you may have already known. For instance, noisy windshield wipers, dirt your pants when exit your vehicle, (I am 5'10") sometimes also dirt your pants when enter your vehicle. (This part had been modified on the 2013 model).
7. Easily accidentally activate cruise control when reach to the turning signal control lever. (Had been modified on 2013 model)
8. Dirty dusty wheels.
9. The left registration plate light burnt right after maintenance service. Not even worth to mention. Please forgive me.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:37 PM

civic corrado glk
Originally Posted by Babolat800
Welcome to Montreal!
well atleast the glk started up every time during the cold snap we are having. it is parked outside all the time
Old 01-27-2013, 08:25 AM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 ML350 Bluetec
Hi Babolat800, as I live in Ottawa, which dealership gave you the 'run-around'? As my GLK was purchased in Quebec City, and that dealership "failed" soon after purchase in a windshield warranty issue! I'm looking to establish a good report with one of the 2(dealerships) here in Ottawa.
I do most, if not all my own work, but when it comes to warranty, well... I'd like to hear what dealerships are up to!
BTW, my warranty (windshield) issue was handled properly by Ogilvie Motors here in Ottawa. The windscreen had developed tiny, minute bubbles(in the membrane) within the 2 sheets of safety glass, only visible driving into the sun. It was like the windshield had been sandblasted! When I approached the Quebec City dealership, the sales manager refused to discuss it, even after pics had been provided. A call to MB Canada, and then to Ogilvie, soon fixed this problem. It seems some of the dealerships still have 'managers' from the Chrysler days.... LOL! Nevertheless, Quebec City MB won't be seeing anymore of my $$$ any time soon!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The problems with my GLK 2010